You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Jabro

voight%2Bspecial.jpg

More information:

http://barnfinds.com/1957-jabro-so-whats-a-jabro/

A couple of mental American concept cars, for different reasons;
M4S-Wraith.jpg
The Dodge M4S Turbo, Indy Car Series pace car and would-be Hollywood star in a movie called "Wraith". Originally built with a 2.2 Turbo engine, although you'll have to add an "S" to that "Turbo" (try to guess why)... Allpar has a good set of information about the car and how it did in Wraith, to the point where one of the driveable props still exists (and has a 2.2 Turbo engine, albeit not the original one).

And now the main dish;
concept-2000-gt-001-1.jpg

Before you step in and say "Niku dude, that's a Fiero", I'll have to stop you there.

...it is a Fiero. But somehow it's not a kitcar, which blows my mind (considering the sheer amount of them in America). It's the Concept 2000 GT. And in fact, the reason why I learned about the M4S was because of this ungainly-looking thing; Autoblog mentions the M4S as a better choice for a wacky concept car. And I don't blame them, I'd glady take five M4Ses over a Robocop car casting reject... :lol:

Looks GTA-ish as well--a combination of countless supercars. I'm half expecting to have to dodge the sticky bomb.
Probably has killer theft protection too. Just lock it up in the middle of the freeway and retrieve it later, after running some errands.

A couple of mental American concept cars, for different reasons;
M4S-Wraith.jpg
The Dodge M4S Turbo, Indy Car Series pace car and would-be Hollywood star in a movie called "Wraith". Originally built with a 2.2 Turbo engine, although you'll have to add an "S" to that "Turbo" (try to guess why)... Allpar has a good set of information about the car and how it did in Wraith, to the point where one of the driveable props still exists (and has a 2.2 Turbo engine, albeit not the original one).

And now the main dish;
concept-2000-gt-001-1.jpg

Before you step in and say "Niku dude, that's a Fiero", I'll have to stop you there.

...it is a Fiero. But somehow it's not a kitcar, which blows my mind (considering the sheer amount of them in America). It's the Concept 2000 GT. And in fact, the reason why I learned about the M4S was because of this ungainly-looking thing; Autoblog mentions the M4S as a better choice for a wacky concept car. And I don't blame them, I'd glady take five M4Ses over a Robocop car casting reject... :lol:

Have you ever watched Wraith, cause that is the only reason I knew about the Dodge, seeing it as a kid and the movie is terrible, but set up a young Charlie Sheen's career further.

****? Do I win? :)

Well I said "an S to the word "Turbo"", not "a word beginning with an S". So no, you don't win. Bending the rules doesn't count, good sir... ;)

Have you ever watched Wraith, cause that is the only reason I knew about the Dodge, seeing it as a kid and the movie is terrible, but set up a young Charlie Sheen's career further.

Can't say that I have. Let's just say the movie name is as new as the movie's car to me. The little I read about it was from Allpar's interview with Bob Ackerman (main designer behind the M4S), and he didn't use many flattering words about Wraith as a movie...

Can't say that I have. Let's just say the movie name is as new as the movie's car to me. The little I read about it was from Allpar's interview with Bob Ackerman (main designer behind the M4S), and he didn't use many flattering words about Wraith as a movie...

Because none exist in my vocabulary either in regards to the movie. Cant blame Ackerman :lol:

You're changing the rules - you said "add an S", not "add an s". Turbo S is a thing, you know ;) :D

Hmm, fair enough, I stand corrected. Still, that doesn't mean you've earned a "you tried" star, you know... :sly: :lol:

Because none exist in my vocabulary either in regards to the movie. Cant blame Ackerman :lol:

Well at least the article along with your... "review" and Ackerman's have done a good job with averting my eyes from the atrocity that is the movie... So I thank you for that, one less cinema virus on my list. Plus, since the real M4S barely appeared in the movie at all, at least its true reputation has been somewhat safeguarded... :lol:👍

Datsun 200SX, I honestly didn't know that there were US-Spec S110 Silvias. Though that's probably because I never thought of actually searching when Nissan brought the Silvia to the US.
datsun-200sx-3.jpg
I had an old Car & Driver magazine, where they customized a few of these. One was purple or dark blue, with furry dash and purple Recaros. I think it had a chain link steering wheel.

1986 Buick LeSabre Grand National
DSC01049.jpg

In a similar vein to the Monte Carlo Aerocoupe/Grand Prix 2+2, the LeSabre Grand National was built to allow a new aerodynamic body to be used in, what else, NASCAR. It featured a deep chin spoiler (that would be re-used on the T-Type a few years later), black paint, and most notably a blocked out rear quarter window. This block wasn't just some piece of trim over a normal window either:
LGN-Closeout-01.jpg

Rumor has it Buick had a few prototype GNs that had turbos and originally planned to use them on the production models. However, the stock transmissions simply couldn't handle the power, thus they used a standard 3800, as Buick was interested in putting funds elsewhere than developing a new transmission for a limited edition.

All cars were produced sequentially on the line, and rolled out of the then-new Buick City plant together to be shipped down to the Daytona 500 for it's debut; as a promotion each car was taken on the track for one lap, and all were shipped to dealers with a cooler, seat cushion and pen. A total of 117 left the factory making them a rare sight, even more so than the GNX.

However, the stock transmissions simply couldn't handle the power, thus they used a standard 3800, as Buick was interested in putting funds elsewhere than developing a new transmission for a limited edition.
I suppose that's better than the following two decades with the Series II 3800, 3800 S/C, 3.1 turbo, 3.4 DOHC and 5.3 V8, where pretty much the same transmission couldn't take the power but GM just sold it anyway.

Last edited:
2000-2001 Toyota Origin

c-3.png

Based off the Toyota Progres (Progres, not Progress), the Origin was made to commemorate the original Toyopet Crown (which it looks very similar to), and to celebrate the Toyota brand producing 100 million vehicles. It was priced at 7 million yen, which is equivalent to $70,000 USD, therefore it was a luxurious vehicle. It came with suicide doors and radar cruise control standard. Powertrain was a 3.0L 2JZ I6, pumping out 220 horsepower. About 1,000 made.​

Always find it interesting to see the cars outside your continent's market. Never heard of the Honda Avancier, but I will say it looks much more classy than even the current Acura crossovers. :lol:
Honda-Avancier-front-three-quarter.jpg

Honda-Avancier-rear.jpeg

The rear has a slight whiff of the current generation Lexus RX to it. But I think it actually looks interesting.

I like to consider myself a Porsche enthusiast (if you cant tell from my screen-name and avatar...) but I still sometimes learn about Porsches. For example, did you know about the 2.7 Carrera MFI? I didn't! Or I chose to ignore it, I dunno. The MFI (which stands for Mechanically Fuel Injected) has the same engine as the legendary 2.7 RS of 1973, but the MFI had the "G"-series impact bumpers.

The 1974 2.7 MFI had the ducktail from the RS (with a wing delete option):
img_3175_8.jpg

The 1975-76 one had the whale tail (with a wing delete option):
1975-Porsche-911-Carrera-MFI-2.jpg

They even made some Targa versions:
161123110240_5.jpg

Geely Emgrand GT

2016-Geely-Emgrand-GC9-in-the-UAE-600x450.jpg

680_WH_160803_Geely_emgrand_gt_STEFAN29-_Read-Only_-large.jpg

Geely-Emgrand-GT-2016-Rear-2.jpg

Geely-Emgrand-GT-2016-Rear.jpg

Saw one of these leaving a parking space, that's looks far better than any other Chinese cars i've spotted on the road. Who knows? Maybe we could see Chinese Cars becoming the next Hyundai and Kia.

The Sir Vival. Yes, it's a very punny name.
Sir_Vival_Safety_Car_Mechanix_Illustrated_April-1959_01.jpg

Sir_Vival_Safety_Car_Mechanix_Illustrated_April-1959_03.jpg

131029798.jpg

Sir-vival-safety-car2.jpg

5d9c1eedf70a3cba7b0a4b191807418d.jpg

Apparently, it was designed as a safety demonstration.
This was actually made? Holy crap, it looks absolutely awful! Easily one of the weirdest things I've ever seen! It's soo ugly I'm lost for words.

Back