You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Another VW I didn't know existed until today: Volkswagen Country Buggy and Volkswagen (later DMG) Sakbayan.

It started life as a project by VW Australasia to make an off-road VW to sell to the Australian army and civilians as well. The army never bought it, and it was introduced at a time when VW Australasia was losing millions. The plug was pulled after only a year or so, with CKD kits being sent to several different countries, but especially the Philippines where it turned out to be a hit. The government and many businesses bought them because of how rugged and economical they were. When the supply of CKD kits from Australia ran out, VW's Philippine importer DMG decided to make it themselves with parts imported from Germany at first and then Brasil. VW was in a joint venture with DMG to build it, and DMG eventually took over as the sole manufacturer. It was built in Australia from 1967 to 1968, and in the Philippines from 1971-1973 (German parts) and 1974 to 1980 (Brazilian parts).

Last edited:
Two door convertible don’t think it was a import didn’t see any badges that I recognized but took two bad night pictures
60adf4cb-0a84-4695-9d9b-118af7f3208b-jpeg.862158
ee3c2be8-991c-4e7b-b292-add453bd6667-jpeg.862159
I presume you're soliciting an identification assist...I'm 97% sure it's a second generation Chevy Cavalier or Pontiac Sunbird; no other J-body variant had a convertible at that time of which I'm aware.

For reference:

autowp.ru_chevrolet_cavalier_rs_convertible_3.jpg

Other than your usual Pantera and Deauville, have you ever heard of the... De Tomaso Vallelunga?

de_tomaso_vallelunga.jpeg

A mid-engine sports car produced by De Tomaso from 1964 until 1968. It was the first road going automobile manufactured by the company. The Vallelunga was based on a roadster designed by Carrozzeria Fissore named after the Autodromo di Vallelunga racing circuit and first shown as a concept car at the Turin Motor Show in 1963. De Tomaso had hoped to sell the design of the concept to another company, but when there were no takers had the car produced by Ghia.

The engine was a 1.5 L straight-4 Kent engine from the Ford Cortina, tuned to a paper output of 104 hp (78 kW) at 6,200 rpm. A Volkswagen Beetle transaxle, fitted with Hewland gearsets, was used. The chassis was a pressed steel backbone with a tubular subframe at the rear. Suspension was double wishbone and coil springs at all four corners with front and rear anti-roll bars and with uprights sourced from Triumph. The small car weighed 726 kg (1,600 lb) with a fiberglass body and many drilled aluminium parts. Brakes were disc type all around.

bf8447bf28f3c692347232709836716b.jpg

Excuse me I have to install this in Assetto Corsa now.

Speaking of De Tomasos...

1973 De Tomaso Montella by Ghia

1965 De Tomaso Competizione 2000

1969 De Tomaso Mustela by Ghia

1971 De Tomaso 1600 Spider, which later inspired the Fiat X1/9

1971 De Tomaso Zonda by Ghia

1965 De Tomaso P70 Shelby

[URL='https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwinkYPBuoPmAhXDSt8KHZ12AaYQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsilodrome.com%2Fshelby-de-tomaso-p70%2F&psig=AOvVaw3rX-nIIS0jdcdLK0sUSdKl&ust=1574705833959297'][/URL]

1966 De Tomaso Pampero by Ghia

1967 De Tomaso Rowan

1984 De Tomaso Deauville Giardinetta by Tjaarda

Not a car I never knew existed but, I'll share this Longchamp with a period-correct body kit.

And, of course, here's this De Tomaso franken-car. 74 horsepower of pure madness.

And another one... Innocenti Mini Turbo 1300 De Tomaso

I'm familiar with a good number of Crayford conversions, but I've just learned that the Allegro is among them:

View attachment 868241 View attachment 868242

Ooooh, my uncle (dad's side) had one of those.

Great little story coming up!
Uncle had the Allegro, saw the 'convertible' conversion while on vacation in the UK, and decided he was skilled enough to build it himself.
He chopped the roof just like Crayford had done, but apparently missed that they had strengthened the floor to make up for the missing roof. After a couple of weeks the car started to sag and the doors had trouble opening and closing, and within less than a year the floor buckled. My dad has a box of hilarious pictures, together with a bunch of cops not being able to show any empathy towards my uncle, who stands besides his ruined car that has gone V shape after hitting a kerb in the centre of Utrecht.

Why would anyone want to be seen more driving an Allegro? :odd:
I was waiting for something like that.

:lol:

Not quite so confounding is that Crayford did that to a standard car and not a VP.

Full disclosure...I kind of like the Allegro, but it is very much a guilty pleasure. Like the wedge Princess.

Other than your usual Pantera and Deauville, have you ever heard of the... De Tomaso Vallelunga?

de_tomaso_vallelunga.jpeg

A mid-engine sports car produced by De Tomaso from 1964 until 1968. It was the first road going automobile manufactured by the company. The Vallelunga was based on a roadster designed by Carrozzeria Fissore named after the Autodromo di Vallelunga racing circuit and first shown as a concept car at the Turin Motor Show in 1963. De Tomaso had hoped to sell the design of the concept to another company, but when there were no takers had the car produced by Ghia.

The engine was a 1.5 L straight-4 Kent engine from the Ford Cortina, tuned to a paper output of 104 hp (78 kW) at 6,200 rpm. A Volkswagen Beetle transaxle, fitted with Hewland gearsets, was used. The chassis was a pressed steel backbone with a tubular subframe at the rear. Suspension was double wishbone and coil springs at all four corners with front and rear anti-roll bars and with uprights sourced from Triumph. The small car weighed 726 kg (1,600 lb) with a fiberglass body and many drilled aluminium parts. Brakes were disc type all around.

bf8447bf28f3c692347232709836716b.jpg

Excuse me I have to install this in Assetto Corsa now.
That has always been my favorite De Tomaso!

I'd strongly suggest that the first gen Impreza and maybe even the SVX was directly inspired by that Suzuki; the shaping of the c-pillar and door treatment, the shape of the rear glasshouse being very, very similar to the production GC wagon. The window within a window being used on the SVX.

Heck, even being called the constellation, which the Subaru badge is. It had to be.

A bit of a Venn Diagram of things I've posted on here in the last 24 hours; just saw this early prototype of the AL2 concept car, that began the preview of the production A2.

Screenshot_20191215-110719_Instagram-01.jpeg

Strangely using similar shaping to the rear and veined roof idea as the Cervo I posted in the Kei thread earlier.

suzuki_cervo_2.jpeg

Back