You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
In this four-seat version, that massive bulky c-pillar isn't going to be great for the rear seat passengers view out. I wonder if it has storgage space for a (silver) sick-bucket for those who suffer from motion sickness?

Last edited:
Would the extra light overhead, from the sunroofs, help? Does have a private jet feel, with the rear porthole windows.

M3-R. Only 15 built for Australian endurance racing.
1682882334449.jpeg

I figured there was a pretty good shot Chevrolet S-trucks were sold overseas even as domestic sales ceased, and even that they may have been facelifted variants of domestic second generation pickups. However I was blissfully unaware of just how breathtakingly ugly they are.

60339648_1706772096092370_2615001171860914176_n.jpg

One off 1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 2+2 Coupe with a coachbuilt body by Pininfarina. Wasn't sure whether to post it here or the one-off thread.

63-Pininfarina-thumb.jpg

The GR Yaris is widely known. What I didn't know was that Japan get an additional version slotted below the GR-Four, the RS:

Toyota_GR_YARIS_RS_(5BA-MXPA12-AGXXB)_front.jpg

Visually identical to the full fat model but houses a regular, naturally aspirated 1.5 with a CVT and is FWD instead. For people who want the looks but don't need the performance.

I am self-proclaimed Porsche nerd, but I still discover obscure models from time to time, such as the 1980 Porsche 911 SC Weissach Edition. While we hear the "Weissach" name today reserved for the top of the line GT cars, I had no idea this car existed until recently.

It was made for the American market to honor the company's motorsport team in Weissach and to promote the Special Wishes program. 468 cars (maybe less, as numbers are conflicting online as low as 400) were made and half were painted Metallic Black and the other half in Platinum Metallic. Other than a unique paint job and some minor interior and exterior visual changes, it was identical to a standard 911 SC in terms of performance, but still cost quite a bit more.

1980-porsche-911-sc-weissach-edition-8.jpeg

porsche_911_weissach_edition_ad_80.jpg

This, the Cadillac Eldorado TwinStar and it's made by Mosler.
View attachment 1298141
I seem to recall the front transaxle had taller gearing than the rear so that one end would still be accelerating while the other shifts and then the front would free-wheel as the rear pushed if it ever exceeded the front's rev limit. Seemed unnecessarily complicated when I first read it and indeed it still does.

Nissan sold the D21 compact pickup globally, which isn't terribly surprising, and in Thailand it took the form of the Big M.

gallery_used-car-one2car-nissan-big-m-dx-pickup-thailand_8511593_qrXy6JMl4F7kuADYkLrzyz.JPG

Very similar to the Hardbody pickup in North America, there are some differences, both mundane and interesting. It's got a different grille assembly than the NA D21, but the cab shell is also different. Note the quarter window, which drops down below the bottom edge of the door glass while lining up at the top--not unlike the Isuzu Spacecab.

spacecab-front-800x534.jpg

This differs from the Hardbody King Cab's quarer window, which is nearly even with the bed sides and wraps the top of the cab slightly.

1993_nissan_hardbody-4x2-pickup_img_20230309_143700832-80459.jpg

I had no idea they named the Hardbody, which is a weird name already, the Big M as well.

Man, the Toronado's brakes were already notably terrible even for the time when stock. I can't imagine how useless they are when you add another 800 pound drivetrain to the back of it.

Thanks to the videos of GT2's A-Spec mod by @RandomCarGuy17, I learnt about the Plymouth Howler concept:

View attachment 1305957

It's... interesting, to say the least.
It's basically the Prowler, but more true to the 30s hotrod roadster style its trying to emulate now having a 4.7L V8 and a 5-Speed MT. Oh and the bigger rear end is to accommodate more trunk space.

1700851752987.jpeg

Back