You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Rue
From the Genaddi Design Group. Ford GTX 1 of 500 examples. 125 bhp added, 1 roof taken away.

x5.jpg

x6.jpg

x4.jpg

Although it kind of dumps on the heritage of the GT40, I like it a lot. I'm sure it must come with a set of earplugs or replacement eardrums.

It actually doesn't dump on the heritage of the GT40. Ford actually did built something called the Ford GT40 X-1 which was a top down racing version of the GT40!

Last edited:
I bet very few, if any of you knew that this existed: The Porsche C88 concept, a 1995 study on developing a cheap family car for the growing Chinese market. It's history has really only recently been released with the opening of the new Porsche Museum recently:

porsche_c88_study_concept_1.jpg

Looks a hell of a lot better than most budget cars! I wonder if it handled as well as you'd imagine Porsche could make a small, light saloon handle... Looks very aerodynamic too.

EDIT: Pic of the interior:

porsche-c88-2.jpg

Last edited:
Lancia by Ferrari.

In 1987 born the special version of THEMA, the '8.32' ("8" standing for the number of cylinders and "32" for the number of valves) was assembled at Lancia's S. Paolo plant in Turin, and it used a 3.0L V8 32v Ferrari Dino engine.

With just 2370 Series 1 built between 1986 and 1988 and 1601 Series 2 built between 1989 and 1992 including 32 numbered special Rosso red versions.

Lancia Thema 8.32 Ferrari

88040542sa8.jpg

14470945bb1.jpg

I'd heard of the Thema 8.32 before, though it's certainly a rare beast.

But it was no faster than the less-than-half-the-price 2ltr Thema Turbo. The engine was also really a Ducati built engine rather than a Ferrari one ;)

Probably sounded better than the Thema Turbo though...

Possibly, but the Thema turbo had the same engine as the Integrale, which sounded pretty good from what i remember.

Interesting concept that it is, the Thema 8:32 was pretty much a failure. Being no quicker than a similar car half it's price, with an engine of dubious heritage (which is what the car was sold on in the first place) - especially with it being FWD, made it borderline pointless. The fact that the similar priced Lotus Carlton came out not long afterwards and totally wiped the floor with it made it completely pointless.

Interesting concept that it is, the Thema 8:32 was pretty much a failure. Being no quicker than a similar car half it's price . . .

I agree with you in some aspects but:

A dad of a friend of mine has a Thema IE Turbo from 1992, the engine 2.0L turbo is base on delta integrale engine but have a total diferent spec. . . and the performance is reasonable but not explosive.

The Lancia Thema 8.32 have a better engine sound, performance, and its a luxury sedan with more and better equipment than the Turbo IE.

Lancia Thema IE Turbo (2.0L 16v Turbo) - 202hp - 304nm - 203kmh (top speed) - 7.2s 0-100kmh

Lancia Thema 8.32 (3.0L V8 32v) - 212hp - 285nm - 240kmh (Top speed) - 6.8s 0-100kmh

About the price I think the difference was to pay exclusivity!

I'm not sure about the 6.8s 0-100kmh figure on Wiki, i've seen it quoted as 7.2s plenty of times else where. I'll have to look back at some period road tests.

Lancia Thema IE Turbo (2.0L 16v Turbo) - 202hp - 304nm - 203kmh (top speed) - 7.2s 0-100kmh

Lancia Thema 8.32 (3.0L V8 32v) - 212hp - 285nm - 240kmh (Top speed) - 6.8s 0-100kmh

the wiki article you read also mentions that only "some" of the components are manufactured by Ducati, though it doesn't go into any detail.

the wiki article you read also mentions that only "some" of the components are manufactured by Ducati, though it doesn't go into any detail.

I think Ferrari cast the block and heads, but the engines were constructed by Ducati because of a lack of capacity to do so at Ferrari. The thema engine also had a more conventional 90degree crank angle where as the engine in the 308/328 and Mondial had a 180degree (flat-plane) crank. The Thema may have had a V8 sound track, but the crank angle would have ensured that it wouldn't have the same Ferrari V8 'scream'.

I'd take the 348 the engine was hoisted out of any day 👍

Incidentally, nobody interested in that Porsche I posted? Was half expecting a bunch of "OMFG!!!111!11One" reactions... or at least a "hmm, well it's better than the Panamera..."

I've seen that Porsche before somewhere, can't think where though.

Hey guise, have a slice of the Fiat Turbina.
274385529_17f91057dd.jpg

turbina_full.jpg

fiat-turbina-1_460x0w.jpg

Designed to run with a gas turbine.

I haven't seen Evo in yonks. I think it was an old CAR magazine I found whilst clearing the garage out some time last year.

I'd take the 348 the engine was hoisted out of any day 👍

Incidentally, nobody interested in that Porsche I posted? Was half expecting a bunch of "OMFG!!!111!11One" reactions... or at least a "hmm, well it's better than the Panamera..."

I'm a fan of Porsche and I confess I never seen this concept model before!

The car has a good visual appearance for 1994, but is a very strange porsche model!

According to what I read on the internet this car served as the basis for other companies build cars at a very low cost ($ 6000 U.S.) :crazy:

There is not much information on this vehicle, but this car was development to receive a:

- 4 cylinders in line 1.5L petrol (Development by Porsche).
- Front wheel drive.
- 5 speed manual gearbox.

Considering all the things Porsche and Porsche design have had their hands into through the years it doesn't really come as a surprise and since it shares nothing but origin with its exotic cousins it's not as interesting

This months Evo. ;)

I admit that was where I'd seen it first, and then did some research of my own on the net! Thought it would fit in quite well in this thread.

Considering all the things Porsche and Porsche design have had their hands into through the years it doesn't really come as a surprise and since it shares nothing but origin with its exotic cousins it's not as interesting

I'd have to disagree with you on that, from a personal point of view. A respected sports car manufacturer taking on a project such as providing transport for a developing nation is very interesting, to me at least. Porsche can make a fantastic sports car with their eyes closed, but making a good, practical, usable family car for $6000 is much, much harder. If Porsche gave the car the same attention to detail as they do to creating cars like the Cayman or Carrera GT, it would make for a fascinating engineering project. Apart from anything, I can't see Porsche making a half-arsed attempt at it - it might be humble, but I'm pretty sure it'd be as thoroughly developed as any 911.

Apart from anything, you can't argue with the worthiness to a cause of them creating a car for people who may not otherwise be able to afford one, rather than creating sports cars for the vastly more priveledged.

If I were to pick a current manufacturer I'd like to see do something similar, it'd be Lotus. You just know they'd come up with something completely ingenious.

If I were to pick a current manufacturer I'd like to see do something similar, it'd be Lotus. You just know they'd come up with something completely ingenious.

Lotus is developing something along those lines with it's VVA (Versatile Vehicle Architecture).

To quote Wiki:

Versatile Vehicle Architecture (VVA) is an effort by the Lotus car manufacturing company to reduce the investment needed for producing unique, niche-market cars by sharing a number of common components.

Gordon Murray, who shares many Lotus beliefs, is also going the same route with his small lightweight city car. He sees it as the ultimate car design challenge.

Lotus is developing something along those lines with it's VVA (Versatile Vehicle Architecture).

I'd heard a bit about that but not in much detail, so thanks for the link 👍 Very interesting though, it'll be good to see where it heads, and when the first cars will start being built on the platform.

Gordon Murray, who shares many Lotus beliefs, is also going the same route with his small lightweight city car. He sees it as the ultimate car design challenge.

I'm looking forward to seeing Murray's car unveiled after so many teasing previews in the press! I'm really intrigued as to what he'll come up with.

Ah right, didn't realise the Evora was being built on that platform! Cheers 👍 Okay, I'll revise my statement, I wonder when the first non-sports cars will be built on the platform :P

Ah right, didn't realise the Evora was being built on that platform! Cheers 👍 Okay, I'll revise my statement, I wonder when the first non-sports cars will be built on the platform :P

Well! The first vehicle built on that chassis was in fact an SUV. Although intended to remain a concept, it was Lotus showing how versatile not only their chassis is, but also the capabilities of their engineering wing.

lotus_apx_21.jpg

n826713559_926952_4238.jpg

Didn't know there were Volkswagen Beetles that look fun to drive until now.

Know it well, that's the Mick Hill/Doug Niven/Jeff Wilson Chevy V8 Super Saloon. It's actually a Trojan Formula 5000 under the Beetleish body work. It's currently being restored and unlike most of the Super Saloons of the early 70's, it's been restored as a 'Superloon' rather than the probably more valuable F5000/Lola/Chevron/McLarenM8 that many of these beasts were originally based on. 👍

Well! The first vehicle built on that chassis was in fact an SUV. Although intended to remain a concept, it was Lotus showing how versatile not only their chassis is, but also the capabilities of their engineering wing.

The APX? Yeah, I knew about that too actually, was a couple of years back and I knew it was based on the versatile platform, but didn't realise that was now the same platform they were using for the Evora. I'm not a massive fan of SUVs but a Lotus one would be brilliant. Imagine it, an SUV the size of a RAV4, but weighing only 1100kg or something :D

Didn't know there were Volkswagen Beetles that look fun to drive until now.

You've obviously never heard of the VW Fun Cup, then:

2377596269_80632d3943.jpg

762050718_5364af8cbe.jpg

vwfun-dijon3-letihon.jpg

These ones have 1.8 VAG turbo engines with a spaceframe chassis. Supposed to be brilliant fun to drive, and they do a 24 hour race at Spa in them too.

Also, I'm sure many Beetle owners would argue that they're fun to drive ;)

This 2 are not cars but they came from Ferrari and Lamborghini, and I think Its curious to see what this 2 supercars manufacturer have done with 2 wheels models:

A Ferrari or Lamborghini motorcycle:

dsc0428ib5.jpg

This Ferrari motorcycle was officially sanctioned as a tribute to Enzo Ferrari.
The bike was built by Kay Engineering and is fitted with a 900cc, four-cylinder, DOHC, air-cooled engine.
It was up for sale some time ago, and the asking price was about US$500,000.... :dunce:

dsc0429yg6.jpg

Fitted with a DOHC, 16-valve, 1000cc, 125bhp inline-four (sourced from Kawasaki), the Lamborghini Design 90 weighed about 175 kilos and had a top speed of 250km/h.
The bike’s styling was supposed to ‘evoke the spirit of the legendary Countach,’ I think they failed to.... :ill:

Last edited:
Back