You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Lancia LC2

SH-DHF-LC2.jpg

Never knew Lancia built a Group C car for Le Mans racing.
Already knew that since i drove that at RFactor.

Here i present you the brother, Lancia Beta Montecarlo:
1981lanciabetamontecarl.jpg

SVX
I was just thinking about how much I see these things yesterday when I spotted one at a junkyard right in front of my eyes:

View attachment 315137

A tragic fate when you consider that the name Presea apparently means "Jewel" in Spanish languages... :lol: And they were supposed to be Toyota Trueno Marino/Mazda Lantis rivals, but I'd still go for either of those in lieu of a Presea. And I love Nissans!

After watching Top Gear last night, despite how awful it was, it did remind me how great the Peugeot 505 was.

A 2-door, 2+2 prototype was built.

4425580768_88c5a89d58.jpg

As was a cabriolet.

505_Cabrio.jpg

The 505 is a perfect example of a timeless design, one that lasted for far longer than the actual car itself. Pinninfarina (?) created a great design, that suits the car like a glove. Too bad that 2+2 never made it past the concept stage, imagine how good it could have been...

IED is short for Istituto Europeo di Design, it's a University in Turin and these cars are made by the students as their final project. A few examples:
Abarth ScorpION
ied-abarth-scorpion-ev-live-in-geneva-2011.jpg

Hyundai PassoCorto
ied-hyundai-passocorto-concept-rear-three-quarter.jpg

Their website:
http://www.ied.edu/turin/home

Is it wrong for me to say that I really find that Abarth to be good-looking? I must say, it is a very unique concept, and it would make for a very interesting production car.

Another recently found classic car that I had never heard of:
8151985015_bc66ffa366_b.jpg

The Gilbern Invader, which I spotted recently on a copy of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars. Didn't buy that copy of the magazine (which featured a buying guide for the Invader), but I found the Invader to be a very unique car.

All this talk of 'IED' has reminded me of 'IAD' (International Automotive Design). A company founded in the UK in the 1970's. The company doesn't exist anymore, but funnily enough it had offices in Turin.

This has to be my favourite concept car they did.

1989 IAD Venus:

0dd3b44857f833b1a9729867384687c7.jpg

autowp.ru_iad_venus_concept_1.jpg

As I was researching about the C35 Nissan Laurel, I found out IMPUL made a few things for it, such as bodykits and programming equipment:

sim

horidashimono_impul0148laurrw

Then a mate of mine showed me a classified for an answer of a question I didn't even know I had: Toyota Corolla Sportivo Levin Turbo. Sporting the 1.8 litre 7A-FE, it made 154hp and 237nm... in a Corolla.

In an attempt to reinforce the sporty image of the Corolla, Toyota is using a concept of mass customization to extend the range of models offered. Intended to compete with a lot of high performance imports, the Corolla Sportivo Turbo will have a full factory warranty. Developed by Toyota Australia in relation to Japan's Toyota model range is limited to a production of 100, all with Aztec gold paint and manual transmissions.

Production sees the Sportivo leave the factory as a liftback and modified Levin offline as part of a JPIO (Japan port installed Process) process when the turbocharger, intercooler, sports performance clutch and brakes are installed. After arriving in Australia for local development parts are added and refined, all specifications originally tested and developed here with 10 pre-production vehicles.

It's expected to be acquired by young people in their twenties, the Sportivo is looking to change the buyer profile Corolla. Initial import of Toyota 100 vehicles in order to establish the concept of mass customization sees the Corolla Sportivo Turbo priced at $ 37,990. Exterior Based on the Corolla Levin, the grid is defined by the hood and body panel separated by a black inner envelope insertion to maintain grid pattern diamond mesh. Corporate identification card Toyota is located in the center.

The Sportivo will be equipped with a large front bumper in one piece incorporating the spoiler to allow greater airflow to the intercooler behind the air dam, sheltered by rocks by a finer quality of diamond mesh. Front edge of the extended spoiler is a separate plastic piece main housing. Fog lights are fitted outboard of the side air ducts which are parallel with the opening of air deflector. The lamp clusters, set on the side of the car containing two circular lights in a dark plastic surround covered by a transparent lens. The bulk indicator placed in the corners are separated from the group headlamp with internal lens orange visible behind the clear outer reflector. Side repeaters are located near the edge of the front doors and have a 'turbo' decal in red letters that appear right after.

The mirrors, side protection moldings and side skirts are colored throughout the body, while the door handles and side window surrounds being black. A rectangular plate is located toward the front of the side skirts, the "Sportivo" logo in red. Large one-piece tail lights define the style rear spoiler strips having a more aggressive look. A 'Sportivo' decal, again with red letters, placed on the left side of the tailgate helps distinguish this model of Levin. The alloy wheels are exclusive to this model and adopt a division according to six radios have smooth, rounded appearance.

Interior: The front sport seats with two-way tilting pad fit and trim sports are identifying features in the Sportivo, and gun metal color components. The adjustable tilt steering wheel and shift knob are trimmed in perforated and normal to the wheel with red stitching on the inside of the rim leather. The instrument panel features a metallic color with circular dials are black with a pattern of gray mesh honeycomb. The numbers are red like needles The center console comes with a storage compartment with a 'Corolla Sportivo turbo' tag along with its number of 100.

The standard equipment includes air conditioning, front windows of energy and great storage capacity Mechanical Turbo Corolla Sportivo is equipped with the current 7A-FE engine with turbocharger and intercooler to increase power and performance. It developed 53 percent more torque and power of 35 percent over the Levin on which it was based. The parts of the turbocharger, intercooler and auxiliaries are developed in Japan, but tested and certified locally. To modify the engine, the turbo comes with a number of extra parts, including a revised ECU, exhaust manifold heat shields revised turbocharger exhaust pipe front, fuel injector and oil separator. To support the increased power and torque of a TRD clutch and pressure plate clutch equipped.

Levin inherited features include ABS, rear disc brakes and safety features like dual SRS airbags. The four-wheel independent suspension is enhanced with a spring system with sport until the incorporation of a harder and lowered for improved management and increased rear grip rating. TRD brake pads with improved friction coefficient improve stopping performance. Mechanical Turbo Corolla Sportivo is equipped with the current 7A-FE engine with turbocharger and intercooler to increase power and performance. It developed 53 percent more torque and power of 35 percent over the Levin on which it was based.

The parts of the turbocharger, intercooler and auxiliaries are developed in Japan, but tested and certified locally. To modify the engine, the turbo comes with a number of extra parts including a revised ECU, exhaust manifold heat shields revised turbocharger exhaust pipe front, fuel injector and oil separator. To support the increased power and torque of a TRD clutch and pressure plate clutch equipped. Levin inherited features include ABS, rear disc brakes and safety features like dual SRS airbags. The four-wheel independent suspension is enhanced with a spring system with sport until the incorporation of a harder and lowered for improved management and increased rear grip rating. TRD brake pads with improved friction coefficient improve stopping performance.

9lfcrlfp.jpg

9hbcrlrd.jpg

9locrle1.jpg

Standard they looked pretty sedate, but with almost anything if you give it some nicer wheels and some lows, you can open up the full potential of the design of the car:

DSCF0051copy.jpg

DSCF0003copy.jpg

It has a thread for it, too.

All this talk of 'IED' has reminded me of 'IAD' (International Automotive Design). A company founded in the UK in the 1970's. The company doesn't exist anymore, but funnily enough it had offices in Turin.

1989 IAD Venus:

My favourite concept as a kid, no question.

SVX
As I was researching about the C35 Nissan Laurel, I found out IMPUL made a few things for it, such as bodykits and programming equipment:

sim

horidashimono_impul0148laurrw

Then a mate of mine showed me a classified for an answer of a question I didn't even know I had: Toyota Corolla Sportivo Levin Turbo. Sporting the 1.8 litre 7A-FE, it made 154hp and 237nm... in a Corolla.

9lfcrlfp.jpg

9hbcrlrd.jpg

9locrle1.jpg

Standard they looked pretty sedate, but with almost anything if you give it some nicer wheels and some lows, you can open up the full potential of the design of the car:

DSCF0051copy.jpg

DSCF0003copy.jpg

It has a thread for it, too.

Yes, Impul works with a lot of Nissan cars. Best part is that you can keep the stock warranty if you follow all the right steps (buy the car, go to Impul, and once you're done go back to Nissan to confirm the changes). Another car they made was this:

BtX9BjnCIAEOZB2.jpg

Yes, that's a Nissan Note. And no, it's not a Photoshop. Who would've thought a Note could look like this, eh?

Also, that Australia-exclusive Corolla is very interesting indeed. Surprisingly sporty for a car that usually looks far too bland. And it's also surprising that it isn't a JDM exclusive, because it's usually Japan who does that type of sporty cars. Just a new set of rims can really give the car the right character.

1989 IAD Venus:

I believe that car was in Back to the Future 2

Yeah, i think you may be right. I think the 'IAD' Alien may have been in it too, along with some 'GM' concepts.

Probably, I had a book about BTTF 2 when I was a kid, had a section on the cars... but mostly I was paying attention to Biff's Convertible BMW 633 (with Hover conversion of course).

The most distracting car in the Back To The Future II for me was the Citroën DS taxi. Because, yes, 2015 America uses hovering 1950s Citroëns as taxis.

Back