You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
1925 miller 122 supercharged straight 8 and fwd
more info here http://www.rmauctions.com/mo07/mont...s/1925-miller-122-front-drive-race-car/177509

25-MIller_122_Front_Drive-DV-07-RMM_01.jpg
1024px-1925_Miller_122-2.JPG

Yep, that's the future. DLC and instead of choosing a DLC for a game, you choose one from a car shop. :D

Ok, that sport version is indeed quite cool. The driver is having a grand time driving it, from the look on his happy face. He seems to be enjoying it quite a lot.

In the meantime, a trip to the website of a Japanese scale model company made me discover yet another Japanese large sedan from the 1990's;

10251001_199401.jpg

The Mazda Sentia/929 (it was also a Kia, named the Enterprise). I don't really remember seeing a 929 around these parts, but apparently it had that name, so there is that. Also, turns out that one Sean Connery did a televised ad for one of these (or to be more precise, the last generation of the Sentia, in 1996):

"Striking." :lol:

I would be too, it just looks so much fun!

Quite, it just seems to be one of those cars solely made to put a smile on the owner's face, regardless of actual quality. One of those cars where you can just relax and enjoy the journey, you know?

That Mazda is nice, too. I would buy one if could afford it.

Well, it is a BMW-5-series-esque sedan, so it's not necessarily small per se. But hey, I like it. I can't quite put the finger on the reason why, but these 1990 JDM sedans are just a guilty pleasure of mine. Maybe it's because they're subtle cars. Here's the scale model I mentioned of the Sentia:

IMG_7523.jpg

(1/43 scale model of the 1991 Sentia, made by Japanese brand Modeler's)

Also, the Sentia was also once the bearer of the Luce moniker. The Luce was one of Mazda's rotary cars, and the 1st gen Luce coupe was a looker. I also didn't know of that car until I bought a British classic car magazine with an article about it;

Mazda_R130_or_Mazda_1800_aka_Mazda_Luce_coupe_manufactured_1969.JPG

mazda-luce-rotary-01.jpg

Now that's what I call:

Shhhhhhtriking.

:lol:👍

Mazda 323
Mazda 626
Mazda 929

I've always loved that naming convention for some reason.

I remember the rare Mazda Xedos 6 with it being a more premium version of the 626 and the near mythical Mazda Xedos 9, so does the 929 follow suit with it being the less premium version of the Xedos 9?

The 929 was actually RWD too. Also known as the Efini MS-9, some had a solar panel on the roof that drove an electric motor that cooled the interior. I considered one before I bought my LS400.
pic1_hdcentia.jpg

Ok, that solar panel tidbit is indeed awesome, you can tell Mazda was planning to make the Sentia as a luxury car with that sort of gizmos. And it can lend itself to a VIP-esque life, as your picture shows. Then again, the Lexus is a more "common" car, so it's easier to get parts for it, so I can see why did you buy one.

Mazda 323
Mazda 626
Mazda 929

I've always loved that naming convention for some reason.

I remember the rare Mazda Xedos 6 with it being a more premium version of the 626 and the near mythical Mazda Xedos 9, so does the 929 follow suit with it being the less premium version of the Xedos 9?

Well, the 1st-gen Sentia, the one sold under the 929 moniker, was meant to be sold under the name of Mazda's ill-fated Lexus rival; the Amati brand. Sadly, since Mazda canned that plan, the Sentia never became a car of its own brand, and ended its life as a Mazda (the 929 name didn't even carry on to the Sentia's second generation). The Xedos 9 and the Xedos 6 were also planned as possible members of the Amati range, under the Amanti 500 and Amanti 300 names respectively. Apparently, the never-born Amati 1000 (which would be the Sentia/929) was rumored to be a V12-powered RWD car, meant to follow the footsteps of the Luce namesake. What could've been...

Sorry for the double post, but I think this is pertinent enough to have its own post. So, this is a thing that I just found out;

picassocup1.jpg

picassocup4.jpg
picassocup5.jpg

Turns out that Swiss company Sbarro took a Citroen Xsara Picasso and turned into a Rally Kit Car. You know, a perfectly normal thing to do in a car like this. It's powered by a 175-hp 2.0 gasoline/petrol engine, and yet despite being what it is, it managed to be able to seat five people. Yes, you read that right, it still has seating for five people. You do have to seat on racing seats, but hey, it's still MPV-able if anything. The closest thing Citroen did to match Renault's mental Espace F1, perhaps?

If Australia turns Sedans into Pick-up- i'm sorry, "Utes", its only natural Brazil turns Pick-ups into Sedans! :lol:
Admittedly, an insane part of me wants to have one of those...

Last edited:
tumblr_nr9outMYn61ti77kbo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nr9outMYn61ti77kbo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nr9outMYn61ti77kbo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nr9outMYn61ti77kbo4_1280.jpg

Toyota Crown Family Camper

Because the Crown used a separate chassis through many of its generations it made the car suitable for conversion. The Family Camper had an elevating roof and accommodation for two adults and two children. It was available exclusively on the Japanese market but some have been exported

I just discovered that the first generation Mazda Demio was also a Ford (Ford Festiva Mini Wagon). Both cars were sold in Japan.
image.jpg

I also discovered (a few days ago) that there was a company (Straman) that converts 80's Honda CRXes in roadsters.
image.jpg

A concept aerodynamic race car by 'Luigi Colani':

guys-what-is-this-54e363847793f.jpg
One of many, Colani is prolific--if eccentric.

5696312844_5d58cba42d_z.jpg
6c8a3fdb4a73e1047d0bd1dd04ecde47.jpg
01-colani-920-4.jpg
luigi-colani-and-colani-corvette-1989-gallery.jpg
1977_Colani_Sportscar_Prototype_01-1.jpg
Luigi-Colani-Dream-Car-6.jpg

There's a Ferrari Testarossa under that one somewhere, if you can believe it--with gold-plated intake manifolds to boot. :lol:

U_57_194169952152_Scan10095.JPG
colani-luigi-space-truck.jpg

Colani.JPG

I learned of that blue "bugger" in the late 90s as I was getting into air-cooled Volkswagens, there's a Type 3 pancake boxer in back.

luigi-colani-aerodynamic-race-cars-131774217747.jpg
colani_lemans_lambo2.jpg

Try not to cringe, that one was a Miura...fresh off the showroom floor.

Luigi-Colani-Dream-Cars-5.jpg
luigicolani52.jpg

Saw a video of her slinking into and out of that one---would be nice to have that (the video, I mean).

4b95ac7e90418fa4c9774fcd7b38295f.jpg

Bet you can't guess what that was. :P (Kidding!)

So yeah, prolific. ;)

"Eccentric"? That's about as strong of an euphemism as you can create regarding ALL of that, man. I never thought Colani was so busy in the concept car department. I mean, I know he even created a F1 team (which was a failure don't you know, and the design was toned down in quick sucession after its unveiling), but Jesus... And I thought that the Youabian Puma wouldn't have any rivals when it comes to way-out-there designs, but Colani sure has created quite the set of those. :odd:

Also, sorry, but doing that to a Miura? I apologise in advance for saying this, but I call that a capital offence towards the automotive industry. :irked:

Last edited:
Yeah, he's an odd duck--those Horch Mega Roadsters (I posted the "swimming" hood ornament) he's been building for 30 years are a personal favorite. Glad I found out about him through that VW kit. To be fair, the Miura wasn't a classic yet and look at those cursed 'Liberty Walk' Murcielagos.

Quite. And well, the whole Horch hood ornament thing is unique, if anything. It's oddly gothic-like for me, and I bet Colani had that sort of inspiration behind it as well. Looks like something you'd see at an art gallery (obviously true, I know, but still).

And that last car isn't even that outlandish in design, it's just that the rest look way past any plausible futuristic era. Especially that black "thing" with the orange stripe and the huge hole between the rear wheels... Or the pink car, that looks like what the Thunderbirds car would be if they had used a flamethrower and some Chaparral 2J design sketches to make it.

And well, the whole Horch hood ornament thing is unique, if anything.
I love the surrounding sheetmetal, the wake generated by the figure swimming through the hood.
And that last car isn't even that outlandish in design, it's just that the rest look way past any plausible futuristic era.
The Mitsubishi was the start of what would have been a series of "milder" modifications, like those to a Ford Ka and a Trabant, but I noticed just how big the post was getting. :P

And the gravity racer isn't especially outlandish, but it's unique among other gravity racers in that it was likely formed from a cast of her body.

Back