Your faith in Gran Turismo - has it been permanently damaged?

• Thread starter Razamataz
  • 395 comments
United Kingdom
London
azzabry86
So I booted up GT7 yesterday and checked the Legendary Car Dealership. Spotted the Mercedes 300 SL for sale at a little over a million and thought this would be something worth grinding for. But then having completed the Menu Books with only a smattering of events left to complete, I just thought I can't be bothered engaging with this pointless grind anymore. Racing the same event for meagre payouts, just to win a car there's not even an appropriate event to use it in. The GT7 experience just feels incredibly hollow and seemingly rather pointless.

I think a lot of us would agree the last few months have been a very trying time as a Gran Turismo fan. I've been playing the series since 2000 and have always admired and respected the work of Polyphony Digital. GT4 represented the absolute pinnacle of the series, only for a steady decline to occur with subsequent instalments. However the brand damage done by GT7 has seriously shaken my faith in the developer. I no longer believe Kaz and his team are capable of creating a compelling "game" any more. Don't get me wrong, the "feel" of GT, the driving in itself, is still incredible. But the "game" side is just sorely lacking and hopelessly outdated. Unlike Sport mode, the PVE experience is woefully unsatisfying with no sense of competition thanks to it's hopelessly outdated chase the rabbit AI.

Personally I feel like I've reached a bit of a turning point with the series. I've just lost faith with the franchise having been repeatedly disappointed with recent instalments. Why is it so hard for PD to create a compelling campaign mode? If PD actually communicated with their community they would know what their audience demanded. I feel like a lot of the fans on GTPlanet understand what it is that makes a truly great Gran Turismo game. If only PD could be bothered to listen and take their opinions into consideration.

As much as I respect Kaz for all that he's done with GT as a franchise, I think it's time he passed the reins on to a new generation of developers. Either within Polyphony or further afield. Imagine what Evolution Studios could have done for example, given their excellent work on Drive Club. The series needs a fresh start and new perspectives to move forward. Otherwise the goodwill the brand has built up over the last 25 years will continue to be exhausted if the disappointments continue.

Here's my question for the GTPlanet community, does GT7 represent the end of the road for you? If not, how badly has your faith been shaken in the franchise and do you trust PD to restore the series to its former glories?

Personally I'll be taking a break from the franchise but will continue to keep an eye on things hoping for positive developments. Whether PD can restore my faith is another question entirely, but the fact is I simply don't think they're capable of fixing an inherently broken and downright boring game.

No.

ignore.gif

The amount of negative over-reacting for an obviously unfinished and half-baked game is astounding. :boggled:
It is a game that should have come out months later, that's the main thing. Gotta have patience and wait for updates. Now in its current state its already quite good but it will end up being a really amazing game I'm sure.

Last edited:
No, there should never be an ending to Gran Turismo. PD has a smart staff and racers, they never run out of ideas/creativity and I'm sure they'll release GT8 at their 30-year mark, they should do something special and enormous for that occasion!! Who agrees?

Massive changes are coming anyway and they are listening to community feedback. So NO, my faith in PD is not damaged at all.

The changes will be too late for most early players as they will have already completed thebook/missions and unless they repeat then they won't benefit from the increased payouts etc.

And in the meantime they are sat wondering what to do now...

The amount of negative over-reacting for an obviously unfinished and half-baked game is astounding. :boggled:
It is a game that should have come out months later, that's the main thing. Gotta have patience and wait for updates. Will end up being an amazing game I'm sure.
Do you realise that this is a AAA release by one of the biggest publishers in the industry? And yet we're effectively funding the development by buying an unreleased product at full price!

It's absolutely insane that some people are defending this behaviour. It's an AAA title which is released as an unfinished product the retail price we paid is just crowdfunding.

And to add insult to injury - the game in dull contentwise, the economy is crazy and physics has a lot to be desired for (some cars are undriveable, BAC Mono for example).

To answer the OP - yes. And I am a huge GT fan. I'm just gutted at how they've managed to mess this up. GT4 was series peak and fulcrum point, it all went downhill from there. PD just couldn't grasp the transition to HD. I guess the Japanese mentality is to blame, never admit that you're wrong and just keep pushing instead of rethinking your approach.

Last edited:
My faith is shaken badly, but I can't quite GT, I'm weak like that. As long as I have my XJ13, Lexus LC500, and a select few others, i will always come back. Am I happy about the current state of play? Not at all. Not at all.

I did lose a lot of faith in PD and Kaz yes. One thing I will never do with Gran Turismo is buy the game at launch again. It just didn't deserve it this time or any time after GT4. 80€ for an incomplete game full of bugs and with obvious micro transaction greed ploys was the "end of the line" for me.

I will still buy the games, but only after they receive positive reviews and/or down to half or less of the price (like I did with GT Sport and GT6).

I will drop the franchise all together IF the always online requirement stays even after the end of GT7's servers shutdown (after GT8 is released) and the game is bricked forever. That will be the last straw. But (hopefully) PD or any dev isn't foolish enough to do something like this...

Last edited:
So I booted up GT7 yesterday and checked the Legendary Car Dealership. Spotted the Mercedes 300 SL for sale at a little over a million and thought this would be something worth grinding for. But then having completed the Menu Books with only a smattering of events left to complete, I just thought I can't be bothered engaging with this pointless grind anymore. Racing the same event for meagre payouts, just to win a car there's not even an appropriate event to use it in. The GT7 experience just feels incredibly hollow and seemingly rather pointless.

I think a lot of us would agree the last few months have been a very trying time as a Gran Turismo fan. I've been playing the series since 2000 and have always admired and respected the work of Polyphony Digital. GT4 represented the absolute pinnacle of the series, only for a steady decline to occur with subsequent instalments. However the brand damage done by GT7 has seriously shaken my faith in the developer. I no longer believe Kaz and his team are capable of creating a compelling "game" any more. Don't get me wrong, the "feel" of GT, the driving in itself, is still incredible. But the "game" side is just sorely lacking and hopelessly outdated. Unlike Sport mode, the PVE experience is woefully unsatisfying with no sense of competition thanks to it's hopelessly outdated chase the rabbit AI.

Personally I feel like I've reached a bit of a turning point with the series. I've just lost faith with the franchise having been repeatedly disappointed with recent instalments. Why is it so hard for PD to create a compelling campaign mode? If PD actually communicated with their community they would know what their audience demanded. I feel like a lot of the fans on GTPlanet understand what it is that makes a truly great Gran Turismo game. If only PD could be bothered to listen and take their opinions into consideration.

As much as I respect Kaz for all that he's done with GT as a franchise, I think it's time he passed the reins on to a new generation of developers. Either within Polyphony or further afield. Imagine what Evolution Studios could have done for example, given their excellent work on Drive Club. The series needs a fresh start and new perspectives to move forward. Otherwise the goodwill the brand has built up over the last 25 years will continue to be exhausted if the disappointments continue.

Here's my question for the GTPlanet community, does GT7 represent the end of the road for you? If not, how badly has your faith been shaken in the franchise and do you trust PD to restore the series to its former glories?

Personally I'll be taking a break from the franchise but will continue to keep an eye on things hoping for positive developments. Whether PD can restore my faith is another question entirely, but the fact is I simply don't think they're capable of fixing an inherently broken and downright boring game.

Definitely agree. It’s likely the last GT I’ll play. Certainly the last I’ll preorder.

If I was into custom races or online stuff I’d maybe feel differently, but the career is what makes it what it is to me, and as you say, 7 is ‘hollow’ to put it mildly.

And the economy/mtx stuff is just the icing on the cake.

It’s a driving game now, but a GT game in name only.

Do you realise that this is a AAA release by one of the biggest publishers in the industry? And yet we're effectively funding the development by buying an unreleased product at full price!

It's absolutely insane that some people are defending this behaviour. It's an AAA title which is released as an unfinished product the retail price we paid is just crowdfunding.

And to add insult to injury - the game in dull contentwise, the economy is crazy and physics has a lot to be desired for (some cars are undriveable, BAC Mono for example).

To answer the OP - yes. And I am a huge GT fan. I'm just gutted at how they've managed to mess this up. GT4 was series peak and fulcrum point, it all went downhill from there. PD just couldn't grasp the transition to HD. I guess the Japanese mentality is to blame, never accept that you're wrong and just keep pushing instead of restructiring/rethinking your approach.
Can you actually read what I posted? I'm defending that the hame should have been released months later... It has been rushed into release.
And you not being able to drive or tune some cars is irrelevant

Are all of those apologists PD employees? Maybe my version of the game is different, it is completely broken.

What was wrong with GT5 and GT6? I played those for over 2000 hours and STILL even now would go back to playing them again. I challenged myself to get gold trophies in nearly every race and I did.

GT7 has some moron saying "Hey, do you know what a hybrid car is?" Is that supposed to be an insult? I thought this was supposed to be a racing sim, not a game for kindergarteners.

I hope one of the future updates will have the ability to change the race format from Ridge Racer/Daytona USA style to real-world motor racing style.

Last edited:
I won’t buy one at launch again. This is the second straight Gran Turismo launched half baked lacking content because of a GaaS model.

I’m done with the cafe, all licenses, and missions. Everything pays like crap and I don’t care to play online really.

For me it has damaged the series and it could damage it permanently if they don't allow you to save GT Sport offline once the server shuts down.

I sold my copy of GT7 on PS5 after a few days after seeing how much worse it was compared to GT Sport. I still have the PS4 version since it was the digital copy which I installed. That being said, whenever i go back to it to see the updates...it's just so bad compared to GT Sport. Plays and looks like crap. The backgrounds look like it's GT6 and I hate the new physics engine

I might give GT8 a chance if that comes out on PS5....but that is only if they keep GT Sport playable...if not I'm boycotting the whole series and never supporting it again even though I've been a fan since GT3 and supported GT4+ on release dates.

I'll go further and say, Gran Turismo and Yakuza were the 2 game series that sold consoles for me. However both Gran Turismo & Yakuza suck currently.

I don't even know why I have a PS5 at this point since everything I play is PS3 remasters or PS4 games haha. But I guess PS5 does play those games way better than PS4 so I'm happy.

No, but Kaz and his friends did something not fair. They lowered the event rewards hoping that players will buy credits online (microtransitions). The community made a lot of complain and seems that Kaz is going to make a massive patch to increase events and rewards. My opinion is that GT7 will not have the fame of the older versions, but the time will tell.

No, it's easily the best Gran Turismo I've ever played.
Is it the first GT you played?

Is it the first GT you played?
Is this the first time you've come across that user's posts?

My faith in PD has been permanently damaged since Sport, given it's horrendous tyre and FFB physics at launch. I told myself I wasn't ever going to buy a game at launch, but I'm a part of a club that meets weekly, and we're pretty excited about GT7. Not to mention, seeing an RX-8 Spirit R in State of Play pushed me into buying a PS5 just for it.

I REALLY shouldn't have.

As many have already pointed out, the game is half baked and clearly unfinished. Stupid bugs that wouldn't plague an indie developer, like not being able to scroll menu pages, plagued this AAA first party developer. The FFB is basically nonexistent, the RWD tyre physics are laughably awful, the lobbies are a joke, the economy is spiteful, the AI are still nothing more than cheating road blocks to bash past, and PD's servers are seemingly situated in a rural farm, and so many people have reported progression bugs. Right now my engagement with the game is limited to rubber banding Pan American. I do not exaggerate when I say that I've played F2P mobile games that offer more content and engagement than this console exclusive, full priced AAA title.

I'd honestly have been content if they just copied and pasted the physics and lobbies from GTS and just added the content we were "owed" since January 2020. But noooo, they had to go and "improve" the physics to make cars more difficult to drive while not giving me any more information to control the cars. And then take away my means of playing together with my friends.

This entire situation is beyond maddening.

I'll see how PD does with the updates for GT7. Depending on how that works out, I may hold off from pre-ordering future GT games as it may be a toss up on how they turn out.
Uh, no? I’m still having a lot of fun with GT7, haha. But I’m gonna just stick to the license tests and missions for now, and hold off completing more events in World Circuits until the confirmed payout buffs come early this month.
I just finished the missions, so I'm waiting for the update now. I think I'll do some menu books.

I lost a bit of faith to be honest. If this game was around $30 to $40, I wouldn't be so disappointed. I think I loved GT Sport more than GT7. GT Sport had more unique races and was able to buy whatever car I wanted for a good price.

I was expecting GT7's used dealership to be like GT4, but its not even remotely close. I can buy many copies of a used car but I need an invite to buy some new cars?, all of this doesn't many any sense. I like how the tuning section has been expanded on but a good chunk of vehicles cannot have turbo added, why? What's the point of completing the super license when literally no event even needs it. If PD wants to make some money, add some DLC like how Forza's been doing and not choke the whole economy. That's just one of the few reasons why I don't have much faith in GT7 right now. Also should've had some sort of update right now, where is it? Is it really that hard just to change some numbers in a video game?

I think outsourcing some of the work to a new developer could have it's benefits. Not to go off topic, but that is what's currently going on with Namco's Project Aces team. The staff there has admitted that they're growing older and have decided to co-develop the next Ace Combat with a new developer (ILCA) in attempt to gain "fresh perspectives" from a younger generation.

A co-developed Gran Turismo by Polyphony/Evolution could have been pretty great. Evo could have handled the graphics and PD the features, perhaps. Again it goes back to Sony/Kaz being short sighted. Sony selling off Evolution Studios was a giant mistake imo. I also remember Kaz saying fairly recently that he'd like to make something different. To me this might suggest that Kaz might be a little tired and ready to try something else. Yes I've lost a little faith in the team in regards to GT7 direction, but GT will always hold a special place in my heart. It is my third most beloved franchise behind Tekken and Ace Combat.

In my opinion, the biggest thing that Gran Turismo needs now is a new graphics engine.

Last edited:
Back