Your favorite Formula One season

Which Formula One season is your favorite?
2003 - The first season I watched and it had so many storylines:
  • The veteran against the young guns (Schumacher vs Raikkonen/Montoya). All had realistic shots at the title with 3 different teams.
  • Tyre war, it even got a bit nasty when the Michelin's were banned for being too wide.
  • Young guns making a name for themselves. Alonso won a race and Button and Webber were doing great things with midfield cars.
  • Single lap qualifying with race fuel, it mixed up the grids nicely. Kimi struggled a lot at the start of the season.
  • Surprise results, Fisichella won in a Jordan and Frentzen scored a podium for Sauber.
  • Friday drivers, the teams which had finished lower the season before had an extra car for Friday to gain experience which made them more competitive.
  • The British GP after the 2nd safety car.

I want to say 2005, but sitting in the grandstands at Indy really sucked. I'm going with 2006. Scott Speed's run at the Aussie GP had given me hope for the future (that didn't last long did it?). A former champ getting booted for a rookie mid-season. Schumacher mounting a charge that would've been a storybook finish to a mega career (and IMO probably not have motivated him to attempt the ill fated return a few years later). And with Button finally getting that gorilla off his back, along with Montoya's messy divorce at McLaren, it was a setup for another classic season just a year later.

2003 - The first season I watched and it had so many storylines:
  • The veteran against the young guns (Schumacher vs Raikkonen/Montoya). All had realistic shots at the title with 3 different teams.
  • Tyre war, it even got a bit nasty when the Michelin's were banned for being too wide.
  • Young guns making a name for themselves. Alonso won a race and Button and Webber were doing great things with midfield cars.
  • Single lap qualifying with race fuel, it mixed up the grids nicely. Kimi struggled a lot at the start of the season.
  • Surprise results, Fisichella won in a Jordan and Frentzen scored a podium for Sauber.
  • Friday drivers, the teams which had finished lower the season before had an extra car for Friday to gain experience which made them more competitive.
  • The British GP after the 2nd safety car.

I have great difficulty in choosing my absolute favourite season, as there has been so many nail-biters. But I must agree, 2003 was an absolute classic. In my opinion, 1999 was a stellar season also. Seeing the Jordan's take the fight to McLaren and Ferrari was something to behold - or at least, seeing one of the Jordan's do so, was. Frentzen was on it all season, but Damon Hill had seemingly checked out before his plane had even landed in Australia for the opening round.

Apart from the ridiculous Indy race it has to be 2005, the final year of the V10's, an awesomely fast McLaren masterpiece by Adrian Newsy hampered by an unreliable Mercedes engine vs a functional good Renault chassis with a powerful bombproof engine, Raikkonen and Alonso were spectacular and then we had Suzuki, the most spectacular race I have ever sat through, I remember it like it was yesterday.
2003 was close, I remember thinking while Schuey was trailing around off the pace Raikkonen got this title, then it rained.

Ones that stand out as enjoyable to have watched; 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2012. I'll give 2016 a bit of a pass as well.

I personally remember really enjoying 2010 with 4 (would've been 5 with button) drivers going into the final race.

My favorite F1 season was 1966.

The primary reason was, absolutely nobody had clue about what was going to happen. Formula 1 was transitioning from tiny 1.5 liter cars with skinny tires to something which turned to be very, very different. And few entrants were prepared for the challenge. I was expecting the exotic BRM H-16 and the Ferrari V-12 to dominate. But I was quite wrong - they were largely uncompetitive. Instead, the production-engine based antique tube frame Brabham of very modest power dominated that season and the next, before the arrival and development of the Cosworth engine took hold for 150 or so races. Other victories that year were taken by the obsolete BRM, new Ferrari, Lotus-BRM and bulky Cooper-Maserati.

The secondary reason is that 1966 was the season that served as the basis for the elegant film Grand Prix, produced by John Frankenheimer. It played at all the best theaters and sound was just awesome. A memorable viewing experience.

At Monza, it come right for Ferrari

2003 was the first season I saw more or less in full, and I recall there were plenty of action-packed and good races involved, so that's my pick, I guess. Still leaves a somewhat rotten taste in my mouth though, knowing that Kimi's only mechanical DNF had to be in a race that would've otherwise yielded a win, and Schumacher had none of those, of course.

2010. 4 or 5 drivers still in it by the final race with a shock winner due to poor strategy calls by the championship favorites. Momentum swayed back and forth between drivers all year.

1982, save for the loss of Gilles. 11 different race winners over 16 races, a streak of 7 and then 9 races where no driver won more than one race. The WDC only won a single race over the entire season. The WDC didn’t drive for the team that won the WCC. 1986 was a good one too, with a four way title fight all season long between Prost, Mansell, Piquet, and Senna.

Latest Posts

Back