• Thread starter Havok_
  • 48 comments
- Metal Gear Solid 4
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Gran Turismo 5: Prologue
- Call Of Duty World At War
- Far Cry 2
- Resistance 2

Definately COD4 (didnt buy 5) and GT5P. Might get MGS4 at some point because of its pure technical ability and great reviews, eventhough I know little about the story.

Robin.

All played best on the PS3...

5. Rock Band 2
The true casual gamer's game. Play and get drunk with friends.

4. Fallout 3
Oblivion with guns. What can go wrong? Science!

3. Mirror's Edge
Dispite the game's frustrating game mechanics, Mirror's Edge needs to be seen to believe. I have never seen such vivid colors before.

2. Dead Space
Kick ass space suit, check. Kick ass weapons, check. Kicking space zombie ass, check.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots

Let's cut to the chase. If this is not your Game of the Year, you should see a doctor. Hideo Kojima has not only impressed his fans, but his naysayers as well.

Last edited:
Definately COD4 (didnt buy 5) and GT5P. Might get MGS4 at some point because of its pure technical ability and great reviews, eventhough I know little about the story.

Robin.
If you can, Konami release a three pack of the Metal Gear series. It has the games from the PS1 era to the end of the PS2.( Metal Gear Solid( I R ninja), Metal Gear Solid 2( No time for old heros) and Metal Gear Solid 3 : James bond!)

MGS4 was the only game I got in 2008 that I couldn't put down.

Other games I liked were BioShock, Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia and GT5P of course (though the current content is getting old for me).

Got loads...

Grand Theft Auto IV, Grid, Mirror's Edge, LittleBigPlanet, GT5P, Burnout Paradise, COD5, FIFA09, and Motorstorm Pacific Rift. Those are my favorites. Got loads more games though, all of which are great, except for a few.

My list:

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Valkyria Chronicles
3. Fallout 3
4. LittleBigPlanet
5. Tied: Sins of a Solar Empire / Persona 3 FES

Can't believe I'm the first to mention Valkyria Chronicles. Very awesome strategy RPG. Definately an underrated PS3 exclusive!

The only one not mentioned that I play obsessively is UEFA 2008. Captain your Country mode allows me to control one player at all times and tracks my positional performance with reasonable accuracy. This allows phenomenal side-by-side multiplayer matches and is involving in a way no other sports game has been for me in quite some time.

I always liked certain Tiger Woods golf games because player improvement is directly related to your performance, but it gets too hard or just boring-it's just me against the course. UEFA adds the full team interaction of soccer/football to the character-building elements I like so much about Tiger. The overall gameplay is good, graphics are pretty decent, and not too difficult to pick up and play. Highly recommended.

1. Call of duty 4.
2. Call of duty: World at War.
3. Grand Theft Auto IV.
4. Midnight Club: Los Angeles.
5. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue.

I'll post my favorites when I have a little more time to reflect back on the year, but in the meantime, I thought it might be interesting and perhaps helpful to post the highest rated (average score of 75 or greater) PS3 games released in 2008 based on the average score of published reviews complied by Metacritic:

1st Number is 2008 Ranking
2nd Number is All-Time Ranking
* = PSN only
blue = PS3 Exclusive

1. ( 1) Grand Theft Auto IV
  2. ( 2) LittleBigPlanet
  3. ( 4) BioShock
  4. ( 5) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  5. ( 8) Fallout 3
  6. ( 9) Rock Band 2
  7. ( 12) * Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
  8. ( 13) Dead Space
  9. ( 15) NHL 09
  10. ( 17) Burnout Paradise
  11. ( 18) GRID
  12. ( 19) FIFA Soccer 09
  13. ( 20) * WipEout HD
  14. ( 21) * Bionic Commando Rearmed
  15. ( 22) Resistance 2
  16. ( 24) Valkyria Chronicles
  17. ( 28) Madden NFL 09
  18. ( 29) MLB 08: The Show
  19. ( 30) Far Cry 2
  20. ( 31) Soulcalibur IV
  21. ( 33) Guitar Hero World Tour
  22. ( 35) Prince of Persia
  23. ( 36) Call of Duty: World at War
  24. ( 37) Civilization Revolution
  25. ( 39) Battlefield: Bad Company
  26. ( 42) Devil May Cry 4
  27. ( 44) * PixelJunk Monsters
  28. ( 45) Pure
  29. ( 51) SingStar
  30. ( 52) Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09
  31. ( 54) NBA 2K9
  32. ( 56) Condemned 2: Bloodshot
  33. ( 58) Metal Gear Online
  34. ( 59) * PixelJunk Monsters Encore
  35. ( 60) Midnight Club: Los Angeles
  36. ( 62) Saints Row 2
  37. ( 63) Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds
  38. ( 65) MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
  39. ( 66) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2
  40. ( 68) * Echochrome
  41. ( 72) NCAA Football 09
  42. ( 75) Buzz! Quiz TV
  43. ( 77) * PixelJunk Eden
  44. ( 79) Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
  45. ( 83) Eternal Sonata
  46. ( 86) UEFA Euro 2008
  47. ( 89) * Crash Commando
  48. ( 90) SIREN: Blood Curse
  49. ( 91) * Penny Arcade Adventures: Ep 2
  50. ( 93) Mirror's Edge
  51. ( 94) WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 2009
  52. ( 95) * Mega Man 9
  53. ( 97) Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
  54. (100) * Last Guy, The
  55. (103) Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
  56. (105) LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
  57. (108) Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
  58. (109) Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
  59. (110) * Age of Booty
  60. (111) Tom Clancy's EndWar
  61. (112) Kung Fu Panda
  62. (114) SingStar Vol. 2
  63. (118) NBA Live 09
  64. (120) Tomb Raider Underworld
  65. (121) Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
  66. (123) LEGO Batman
  67. (125) Top Spin 3
  68. (126) Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm

On the opposite side of the spectrum, here are the worst rated (average score of less than 50) PS3 games released in 2008

1. (270) Vampire Rain: Altered Species
  2. (268) History Channel: Battle for the Pacific, The
  3. (267) Rock Revolution
  4. (265) * Go! Sports Skydiving
  5. (264) Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
  6. (263) Iron Man
  7. (261) Golden Axe: Beast Rider
  8. (260) NFL Tour
  9. (259) G1 Jockey 4 2008
  10. (258) Hellboy: The Science of Evil
  11. (255) Legendary
  12. (254) * NovaStrike

68 games with average scores of 75 or higher, and only 12 with scores of less than 50... That's an average of nearly six highly rated games and one lousy game every month!

2008 was indeed a great year for gamers. 👍

MGS4 goes straight in for me, no shadow of a doubt this game wowed me the most and kept me glued to my control for a long time, an absolute masterpiece for an MGS fan like me.

COD(s) both of them, I only got 4 this year and wasn't long ago that I bought WaW. Although I haven't played either recently due to other games, they've given me some great moments (the jumping off a 2-3 story high bridge and knifing someone in the top of their head :lol:) and it's just so damn addictive once you get into it.

GTAIV a story I really enjoyed and has provided some more great moments, playing online with my russian pal has always been a great time. Playing cop online is rather fun (not cops and robbers, free mode with melee weapons on) and chasing down those rowdy lunatics you find on free mode now they're stuck with a bat whereas you have the cop car acquired shotgun :lol:. We treat it like a real cop situation though and only fire upon the criminal themself if they make an attempt to harm one of our good officers.

Last but not least GT5P, sure it's not perfect, sure the online is stumped, the AI pretty useless, but one things for sure. I still love this game, I love the physics, the fantastic visuals, the cars (mostly ;)) and I couldn't ask for more from a Prologue.

Having spent more time with LittleBigPlanet, I can happily add this to my list now but MGS4 is still far and away my game of the year.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, here are the worst rated (average score of less than 50) PS3 games released in 2008

1. (270) Vampire Rain: Altered Species
  2. (268) History Channel: Battle for the Pacific, The
  3. (267) Rock Revolution
  4. (265) * Go! Sports Skydiving
  5. (264) Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
  6. (263) Iron Man
  7. (261) Golden Axe: Beast Rider
  8. (260) NFL Tour
  9. (259) G1 Jockey 4 2008
  10. (258) Hellboy: The Science of Evil
  11. (255) Legendary
  12. (254) * NovaStrike
I really feel bad for NovaStrike. I wanted it to be better. It was developed and published independently. It was the first game to show that with the PSN a group of guys basically in a garage could break into the gaming scene. Unfortunately they didn't do it well. That said, my personal thought is that it does not deserve to be this low. I would rather play it over Civ Rev, any soccer game, or even (brace yourselves) GTAIV. But that is just based on personal tastes.

While I do enjoy the Time Pilot like controls from my Commodore 64 days, those controls were like that back then because joysticks were not fully analog. They do not allow the versatility that should be involved.

Hopefully Tiki Games' next attempt will not be a shooter in a world of shooters.

And now I have to wonder if Legendary and Rock Revolution shouldn't come off my Gamefly queue. Probably not. I mean what good is Gamefly if I only rent the games that I intend to buy without trying other games?

COD WAW of course another game to put any other fps in the shade.
FIFA 09 i love my football and finnaly EA have got there act together on it.
GT5 enough said really the best realistic racing game ever.
GH4 even though later in 08 still just freakin awesome.
Battle field bad company still enjoy playing that its good fun
NFS undercover classis need for speed soooo much fun!!
cant put these in order and im sure theres plenty i just havent played yet!!!

Worst for me is:
MOH airborne absolutley terrible EA once again messing it up how could they even compete with call of duty im not surprised if they go bust on the whole medal of honour section plus and still my router seems to not like EA i can paly online for 2 minutes get disconnected unbeliveable really the biggest game company in the world and they cant work with everybodys router!!

Worst for me is:
MOH airborne absolutley terrible EA once again messing it up how could they even compete with call of duty im not surprised if they go bust on the whole medal of honour section plus and still my router seems to not like EA i can paly online for 2 minutes get disconnected unbeliveable really the biggest game company in the world and they cant work with everybodys router!!

I think I've been fortunate enough to dodge all the bad releases, perhaps the shortest lifespan in my collection this year was Assassins Creed (I only got that this year also and have since sold it on), but I actually really enjoyed it right up until the point of completion where I then repeated my favourite assassinations once each and then had nothing to do. I'm still glad I bought it though.

However my least favourite games will easily go to any Guitar Hero/Rockband game. I just can't stand them, I have a burning passion of hatred for all of them, the concept is just lost on me but I appreciate that many people I enjoy them. I however cannot stand them, I can just about bear listening to the music whilst someone else plays, but I won't touch a 'guitar' or other instrument if it's hooked up to GH.

Back