Your First GTA?

What game got you started on the GTA series?

• Total voters
Re-visiting this thread makes me sad.

No new GTA in soooo long. :(

Yes this is indeed sad, I remember being fully excited about GTA V back in 2013 and now I almost can't stand the sight of the game because it's online component has been ongoing.

My first GTA was the original Grand Theft Auto which has some history behind it considering I never had to pay for it but that story is one that will go with me to my grave.

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
When the PS1 games were relevant, I can't remember if I had never heard of GTA or just saw the top-down view and was turned off enough by it to not care to try it out, but I didn't get into the series until 3, when that game was all the rage. 3 completely blew my mind, by how much you could do in that world. The main PS2 trilogy I played several times over; I 100%'d all of them, including the Stories games when they were finally ported over from the PSP. I was also a massive Driver fan from the original PS1 game, so I really enjoyed the back-and-forth jabs the two series took at each other. Somewhere in there I picked up a PS1 trilogy set to try out. I got a little ways into the first game but couldn't get into it; I'll have to revisit that some time.

4 and 5 were good, I of course 100%'d those as well, but the PS2 games are still the best, especially San Andreas. I got into San Andreas like nothing else I've ever played. Taking that 'secret route' into San Fierro that keeps the cops off you while that part of the map is still locked, doing as many odd jobs as is possible to work up that completion percentage before getting into the story, hacking the game with a Code Breaker, watching the movies people on YouTube were making from the game... San Andreas was incredible.

I played 5 online a little bit on the PS3, but I'm not an online gamer and from what I've seen of GTA Online it really disgusts me. I hope the next game, if it ever comes out, doesn't suffer the same fate of not only milking the online aspect while completely ignoring us offline gamers, but the saturation of fantasy action. It's sad watching the same thing happen to Red Dead 2, which might have been a San Andreas-like experience for me, with how much I love that game offline. I only bought RDR2 to play on a friend's PS4, though, so I haven't gotten too far into it outside of the story and most of the 100% checklist; I'm skipping the PS4 for myself and waiting for a good time to buy the PS5 and make use of its backwards compatibility. Here's to hoping we get a new GTA this generation.

When the PS1 games were relevant, I can't remember if I had never heard of GTA or just saw the top-down view and was turned off enough by it to not care to try it out, but I didn't get into the series until 3, when that game was all the rage. 3 completely blew my mind, by how much you could do in that world. The main PS2 trilogy I played several times over; I 100%'d all of them, including the Stories games when they were finally ported over from the PSP. I was also a massive Driver fan from the original PS1 game, so I really enjoyed the back-and-forth jabs the two series took at each other. Somewhere in there I picked up a PS1 trilogy set to try out. I got a little ways into the first game but couldn't get into it; I'll have to revisit that some time.

4 and 5 were good, I of course 100%'d those as well, but the PS2 games are still the best, especially San Andreas. I got into San Andreas like nothing else I've ever played. Taking that 'secret route' into San Fierro that keeps the cops off you while that part of the map is still locked, doing as many odd jobs as is possible to work up that completion percentage before getting into the story, hacking the game with a Code Breaker, watching the movies people on YouTube were making from the game... San Andreas was incredible.

I played 5 online a little bit on the PS3, but I'm not an online gamer and from what I've seen of GTA Online it really disgusts me. I hope the next game, if it ever comes out, doesn't suffer the same fate of not only milking the online aspect while completely ignoring us offline gamers, but the saturation of fantasy action. It's sad watching the same thing happen to Red Dead 2, which might have been a San Andreas-like experience for me, with how much I love that game offline. I only bought RDR2 to play on a friend's PS4, though, so I haven't gotten too far into it outside of the story and most of the 100% checklist; I'm skipping the PS4 for myself and waiting for a good time to buy the PS5 and make use of its backwards compatibility. Here's to hoping we get a new GTA this generation.
Yes! Driver! Played through multiple times. Loved entering the freeway and getting that lean with every turn. Driving around in Cuba was fun as well.

Definitely miss the play of Liberty City W/Nico and TBoGT. Wish the series would go back to GTA III-TBoGT.

I'm not a fan of GTA4's driving physics. The feeling of weight was nice, but otherwise cars were slightly frustrating to drive, imo. 5 was back on the right track, but it's annoying how you can't really drift.

I ignored the first two 2D gamed but read about GTA3. It lived up to all expectations++ and I played it like crazy. Legend!

San Andreas on the PS2.

It was a staple of my uni days, alongside Tekken 5, GT4, MGS2&3 and the GoW games. The interesting thing is that SA managed to scratch my GTA itch for so long that even after I got a ps3 back in 2013, I waited for a long time before thinking about getting GTAV. In fact, if my best friend hadn't pestered me to play it so much back then, I probably would've played V on the ps4 first...

My first GTA game is probably GTA 3 or maybe GTA Vice City.
I actually played it at a such young age...like during kindergarten! Don't worry, I didn't go and murder peds all day long. I just drove cool cars and listened to cool music.

Then I started to do missions and other stuff few years later when I became a school student. I didn't understand all of the dialogue due to the mature nature and my lack of English at the time. Let's be honest, I learned more English from video games and other pop culture medias than actual English lessons.
My points still mostly stands here but I'll correct some things up.

I've started with Vice City as my first GTA game (although my siblings and relatives have likely played gta 3 before, maybe even the 2D era).
I've pretty much played all of the GTA games out there including the 2D Era, GTA Advance and GTA Chinatown Wars (CTW is a bit underrated imo) and completed most of them.

I used to say that San Andreas was my favourite but nowadays i've started to show preferences more towards VC/VCS and GTA 4 & EFLC. I still love the 3D and HD era of GTA but I'm not that big fan of modern day R* games.

Back