Your Gran Turismo Origin Story

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 23 comments
United States
United States
What year was it? Where were you? What made you gravitate towards Gran Turismo?

I’ll go first. It was 2001 and I was sitting at my middle school lunch table when my friend said “GT3 is the most realistic racing game available.” Naturally I had to check it out and I got hooked immediately.

That was 21 years ago.

What is your Gran Turismo origin story?

Summer 1999. There was some public access TV show that did video game reviews and it was speaking HIGHLY of Gran Turismo. It looked almost boring, but I had the N64 which had nothing to speak of in the genre. Traded it for a PS1, Traded Ocarina of Time for a used copy of Gran Turismo at Players Choice, ended up getting GT2 later on. One of the best games of all time.

Probably around '98, when my parents bought us a PlayStation for Christmas. Played the first three like crazy, GT2 especially. My friend down the street had a copy so we would use that old Memory Card trick to drag race each other.
I skipped GT4 during it's heyday and then got back on during GT5, played that a lot while doing the restaurant grind for a little bit. Played GT4 in lieu of GT6 and GTS and now here I am.
This is my first GT with a wheel and boy what a difference. I never really took "proper driving" seriously until my GT5 days, so I still struggle, and my tuning knowledge is rather unrefined so I still have a ways to go. But I have fun - I'm really enjoying the Gr.4 cars right now, so I'm just setting up custom Gr.4 races and having a go at those.

That’s awesome to hear. I’m 31 years old now. I love that GT is timeless!

Guess that makes two of us.

Last edited:
What year was it? Where were you? What made you gravitate towards Gran Turismo?

I’ll go first. It was 2001 and I was sitting at my middle school lunch table when my friend said “GT3 is the most realistic racing game available.” Naturally I had to check it out and I got hooked immediately.

That was 21 years ago.

What is your Gran Turismo origin story?
My brother got Gran truism 4 for Christmas and I use to play it with him. I was about 6 years old at the time. I would still argue this was the best instalment to the series. It just had so much content to enjoy. These days its sad that you pay for a game and there is barely any content until updates come out. Devs blatantly do this on purpose in order to keep people playing the game for longer. They probably already have loads of content in the vault when the game comes out but they are waiting for player counts to start dropping before they release the content updates. If they through all there cards on the table at release people would complete the gam quickly and the devs would have to spend much longer making more content as they had none put back.
This is my guess as to why Ps2 games always had the most content and why GT4 will always be the best one 😝

I totally hear what you’re saying about content vs price etc. My favorite will always be GT3 as the graphical jump from GT2 was immense. Idk if there has been a comparable leap forward since. GT Sport was miles ahead of GT6 though.

I was pretty late to the party as GT5 Prologue was my first Gran Turismo, having played it around early 2010, followed by GT PSP, GT5, GT6, GT Sport, GT4 and eventually, GT7.

Last edited:
December 1997. My best friend bought it for me for Christmas because I'm life-long car nut. I loved it. I'd never seen a car game with so many cars (140!), tracks (11!) and realistic car models (300 polygons!). I'm joking but seriously, in 1997, there was nothing even close. GT2 was even better.

I bought a PS2 only so I could get GT3. At the time my only transportation was a motorcycle. I remember riding up to the local Game Stop, buying GT3 and a PS2 (the fat one) and stuffing them both in my Timbuk2 courier bag, going next door to the Fred Meyer grocery store and buying two 2-liter bottles of diet cola and shoving those in the bag, too. Then riding home, connecting up the console and playing it all weekend. GT4 was the ultimate for me. I had two TVs next to each other. On the right was the TV for regular TV watching, and on the left was the TV for playing GT4. I never turned that TV or that Playstation off. The TV ended up getting ghost images burned onto the screen from the garage menu.

I was so excited when GT5 came out. It had been such a long wait. Despite the vastly improved visuals, it just didn't excite me like GT4 had. Same with GT6. I didn't even bother getting a PS4 for GT Sport, and I don't have a PS5. I don't expect I ever will. It's kind of harsh to say after so many years of enjoying the game, but I'm done with GT.

While waiting for GT5 to come out, I bought an XBox 360. Forza Motorsport 3 was out, and I played that a lot. New cars, new tracks. It was fun. Same with FM4. And just like GT4, FM4 ended up being the highlight of the series for me. I switched over to the XBox One for FM5 and 6, but just like GT5 and 6, they left me cold.

Forza Horizon is the game that finally appealed to me like GT4 and FM4 did. The entire franchise is amazing. The freedom to grab a car and simply drive anywhere on the map is freeing in a way a traditional racing game just can't replicate.

So that's where I am now. The only race track focused game I play with any regularity is Wreckfest. Maybe THQ Nordic will make an open world car game, too. Considering how successful the Horizon franchise has been, I'm kind of surprised there aren't more open world car games.

Last edited:
Don't remember when it was, but my brother in law brought a PS to a family weekend with GT5 on it. I was fascinated, asked and got a PS3 with GT5 for Xmas. Is it already some 15 years ago?

I saw magazine ads for the game multiple times when it released in the USA in mid 1998 - I think the first time I saw an ad for it was at the library in my WI hometown. I was 13 so I couldn't afford to buy my own PS or GT - so I got them for Christmas of 1998. Bought a Lime Green 2-Tone Silvia Q's and hit the road.

I started joining GT forums right when GT2 was first announced, and owned GT2, 3, and 4 before taking a break from Playstation and video games in general, save for a little GTA on the Xbox.

1998. I was 5, saw the cover of the game and asked my dad to buy it even though we don't have a PS yet lol. Dad bought it with the PS and the rest is history.

I entered the world of Gran Turismo because of a misunderstanding.

Some GT4 car lists included the Chrysler 300M - the car I was in love with in real life (I didn't care about video games).

I was 39 years old in 2006 and I saw GT4 replays through a store window and was blown away by the graphics. The track was Special Stage Route 5.

My friend had the video game and suggested that the 300M might be blocked somehow, so I decided to buy the GT4 to find out if the car was there or not.

But we had a problem... I didn't know how to play... and I wasn't going to make my friend play the whole game for me.
So I decided to learn... And it was a disaster...

I couldn't take my finger off the accelerator to brake while controlling the car with the other hand. :lol:

I played at his house until I hit the Professional events, then I discovered the Mercedes SLR at the dealership...

"I have to see this car spinning beautifully in my house". So that thought made me buy a PS2.

I've played several car games and haven't fallen in love with any other in the same way, and now with the release of GT7 it made my passion grow even more. And I'm not ashamed to say that I was touched several times during the campaign - especially at the end with Sarah saying those simple things... lol...

So this is my story.

Edit: And as we know, the 300M is not in GT4. ;)

Last edited:
2004 on GT3 with the PS2. I was 6 years old watching my dad do the races and every now and then I would try it out. GT3 was what got me into cars to begin with. Eventually he got me a PS2 Slim so that I can play GT3 and eventually GT4 (which my dad played first before I did) so that I can play more of it. Then eventually throughout the years, my dad got himself a PS3 to play GT Concept, GT5 Prologue. Meanwhile I had a PSP and actually got Gran Turismo for the PSP grinding and replicating races in there that I would see from the Best Motoring Japan videos that I would watch. Then when GT5 came out, as much as my dad would be getting it first, I couldn’t help but feel excited. The first 2 months I’ve watched him play GT5 then eventually his PS3 got the red screen of death and after having it fixed, he basically gave his repaired PS3 to me while he got himself a Slim. From that point, I was grinding on GT5 and made my first online Playstation account to make use of the online features.

On my 14th birthday, my dad got me a Logitech G27 with the shifter and I started to play GT5 like never before. It didn’t take too long for me to get used to the wheel and eventually I was becoming competitive in the clean open online lobbies established at the time. Me playing GT5 online with a wheel left an impact on me to this day and made so many memories racing around the Nurburgring with some other pro dudes always experimenting with different cars whilst learning how to tune cars in the game where my knowledge has carried on over to this day for me. GT6 eventually came out, was excited at first, but it sort of died quickly on me.

In late 2014, I got myself an Xbox One to experience Forza Motorsport and Horizon with a Thrustmaster TX. Forza felt fundamentally different to me and didn’t leave as much of an impact as Gran Turismo did, especially the online racing, however the online racing in FM6 at the time was decent, but it didn’t really compare to that when I was play GT5 online. I couldn’t really replicate the fun or experience I had despite putting many months into the game. However Forza Horizon’s 2 & 3 did leave a more significant memorable impact on me when it came to open world racing, especially online. Back then it was the closest thing of memorable experiences I had compared to GT5 and as for Motorsport, much less so.

In 2017, a month after I graduated Navy Bootcamp, I got myself a PS4 to play GT Sport (which that game came out during my bootcamp at the time). It was refreshing seeing the new graphics, the detailed cars, challenges, etc. However during that time, I was playing with a controller since me getting a wheel whilst I know I was going to be moving around quite a bit based on the orders that were assigned to me. The competitive online racing in GT Sport, both the open lobbies and the Sport Mode, gave me nostalgic vibes of GT5 when it came to the clean (mostly) but also competitive racing, despite me using a controller.

In 2018, I had orders to Japan (Gran Turismo’s origin place YAY), and based on how GT Sport was setup online based on the region of your PS Account, I ended up making a Japanese Playstation account so that I can play with their people in the correct time zone with their Sport Mode events and championships. The first few months there I was going to Japanese Internet and Manga Cafes to use their network to play GT Sport online. Despite using the controller (which I’ve managed to adapt quickly over time), I’ve made my way through the ranks of the country and the region to a B driver rating and a S sportsmanship rating.

Later that year after I got done with my first deployment, I got myself a living quarters where eventually, I went to Akihabara in Tokyo to get my Logitech (called “Logicool” in Japan btw) G29 and a wheel stand. My muscle memory kicked in very quickly using the G29 despite not having used a whew in over a year and I was back in my prime online where I started winning a few daily races and actual championships against other Japanese and Asian players where my driver rating did go to an A+ driver rating. It even made me the fastest Gran Turismo driver in the city of Yokosuka, which is an hour south of Tokyo. The one thing I’ve noticed throughout time playing against the Japanese is that whilst very competitive, they’re also more cleaner and courteous and will actually apologize to you in advance after a race. I tried very hard to uphold that standard and blend in to where throughout the 3 years I was in Japan playing GT Sport, I’ve managed to make some very memorable experience playing online and learning their ways of driving online on my own. It was a privilege and an honor to race among them.

Eventually, as my time in Japan was about to come to an end, I had to sell my wheel and everything else since I got new orders elsewhere (which is where I am today). One things for sure…my GT Sport experience was something to remember.

After I got back to California from my 4th deployment earlier this year, once again I’ve managed to get myself a living quarters, and eventually a PS5 to now play GT7 along with a Logitech G923. Initially, I was going to modify my actual car in real life which is a Ford Focus ST 2017 (which ironically is also in GT7 and GT Sport before that), but due to the raising gas prices, I got myself a PS5 and GT7 with the wheel as by means of occupying myself and saving money.

Having played GT7 for these past couple of weeks now, I must say I felt as if I got the full package now and a lot of nostalgic vibes from when I was little. The tuning, the difficult license tests (which I’ve managed to get ALL Gold btw), the car collecting, the grinding, the daily races, the online lobbies, the missions, the scapes, the refined cars sounds, etc. I haven’t felt this complete in a racing game since GT4. Now I’m having fun playing, experimenting, and tuning the cars in the open lobbies whilst being competitive in the daily races provided to keep my rank.

At this point, Gran Turismo has become a part of me in life where it has helped me open up to the world of cars, how to tune them, how competitive racing goes. Gran Turismo is the only game to where it gets me excited like a little kid to this day, and GT7 for me proves just that. Gran Turismo STILL and WILL remain the best video game adrenaline rush and competitiveness I can ever ask for. Yamauchi-San, thank you for your hard work for these past 25 years!

I had a PS1 before the launch of GT1, with WipeOut at the beginning and quickly Tekken. Don't remember how I discovered GT but men what a slap in the face. Ridge Racer felt so old in comparison (car models non existent in real life, very few cars, very few tracks). And those reflections on GT's cars ! And those replays ! So many hours of play...

October/November 1997 at 15 years old i went to the game section of my local super market, And they had a playstation set up to test games and it had GT1 on it, The save was ruined by so many people playing it and not worrying what they was doing, but i new i had to have this even tho i didn't have a ps1 at the time iv bought the next gen PS purely for GT ever since

1997 - 16 yrs old.
I just had saved up enough money for a Ps1 and GT.
Memory card? Who needs that? :scared:
Had my cousin come over, started the 24hrs-race with some price car and played in 4-6 hour shifts.
After cooling the Ps1 with frozen Schnitzel, I borrowed 20 Bucks from mom and went to buy a memory card :D

...good old sunday-morning-comic-times...

Playstation Plus (probably) magazine preview of upcoming games showed something with realistic looking Supras and Scoobies. I was hooked from that quarter page article in a gaming mag months (or years) before release. 1997? 96? No idea but the mags got cleared out many years ago and can't find archived ones online. EDIT see link below

Had loved Lotus challenge on ST/Amiga, before that Grand Prix and before that Revs on the old BBC B, and the idea of a sim racing game with real cars on the playstation got me far more excited than it should have done for someone in their mid-twenties.

EDIT: Check this out GT Playstation Plus 6 page preview Dec97/Jan98

Last edited:
February 2022. I'd heard great things about Gran Turismo, and what do you know, a new one is releasing soon! Returning to its roots, surely inspired by Gran Turismo 4! That legendary game loved by so many!

And then March 4th rolled around, I got my copy, enjoyed it intensely for a couple days, and then it was nothing but disappointment since the end of that last cafe menu book.

That's my Gran Turismo origin story.

25 years ago (apparently LOL) when Gran Turismo first came out. It was the reason I bought a PlayStation. Way back before I knew what this "Nissan Skyline GT-R" thing was and wondered why the mis-labelled the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 a GTO MR. Ah... blissful ignorance... 😆

It was 1999 when I played GT2 for the first time at an internet Cafe and was amazed.

My first Playstation was PS2 some years after and for some reason I bypassed GT3, but got GT4 and loved it so much, the quality and quantity were mind blowing.

I remember the first time I ran on Nordschleife, which GT4 introduced me to, and thinking WTF is this?! This is so long and winding, and seemingly endless corners. But soon, to this day, the Ring became my favorite track.

Currently playing GT7 on PS4 and loving it, in fact I bought a PS4 largely for GT Sport, and having bypassed the previous PS3 generation I had a kickass time with it, coming from GT4.

Back