Your internet connection?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jordan
  • 2,008 comments
  • 248,426 views

Your connection?

  • T1, T3, OC-12, OC-48, or faster :D

    Votes: 203 19.6%
  • Cable modem

    Votes: 420 40.5%
  • DSL

    Votes: 346 33.3%
  • Dial-up modem (56k or slower)

    Votes: 69 6.6%

  • Total voters
    1,038
My university's wireless. :cool: Funny thing is speedtest used one of the uni's own servers to perform the test! LOL
Hence the ping of 4ms. :eek:👍
 


Not bad yeah?

Well look what happens when the distance gets bigger:
 


Not horrible considering I'm not paying for it and I'm the only one that uses it for more than checking email and looking up recipes.
 
473066360.png


My university's wireless. :cool: Funny thing is speedtest used one of the uni's own servers to perform the test! LOL

OHHHHH MUMA, that is some net. The upload is faster than the download rofl.
 
Australian internet sure is slow.

473270447.png
 
Australian internet sure is slow.

473270447.png



:grumpy:

Apparently i'm less than 50km from Adelaide. :rolleyes:

This is not right, i never get anywhere near 200KB/s download speeds, it's usually about 140. :boggled:
 
Last edited:


My university wired network.
 



Yeah a little faster. --- Randy
 
You should really read the FAQ on speedtest.net. The speed is in Megabits and the distance is displayed in miles when you post a picture of the result. If you want to find your speed in Megabytes you divide the Megabit speed by 8 or 8000 if you want to find it in KB/s.
 
You should really read the FAQ on speedtest.net. The speed is in Megabits and the distance is displayed in miles when you post a picture of the result. If you want to find your speed in Megabytes you divide the Megabit speed by 8 or 8000 if you want to find it in KB/s.

There is a settings button at the top, when you click that some options will appear:

 


We shall be moving to Sky soon, same speed, can go up to 8MB (on 2MB atm) for an extra ÂŁ10 a month. It does what we need it do, though the upload is poor. VM charge us ÂŁ20 a month for the privilege of the above. Sky is free, thus the change.
 
There is a settings button at the top, when you click that some options will appear:


Ah I see how it's done now. I changed the setting to Megabytes and it changed. The results depend on the user's settings. It can be entirely different between different users of the website.
 

Why aint there any servers in bonny Scotland? :lol:
 
TB
Hence the ping of 4ms. :eek:👍
Perfect for hosting local LAN games.... muahaha :dopey:

OHHHHH MUMA, that is some net. The upload is faster than the download rofl.
My dialup at home does that :lol:



142kbps upload on a dialup connection? Erm?
 
Last edited:
Download is a third of an upload speed? Think not!
 
This is how I'm livin' (internet speed-wise)

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

I pay for 6 mb/s and get less than 4. Upload speed is terrible as well.
I get one of the popular "bundle" packages from my cable company.
I pay approximately $125 per month for about 120 channels, unlimited phone, and "6 mb/s" internet speed :lol: :grumpy: :banghead:
But I guess it could be worse, obviously.

My cable provider--New Wave Communications = FAIL
 
This is how I'm livin' (internet speed-wise)

http://[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/480334576.png[/IMG][/URL]

I pay for 6 mb/s and get less than 4. Upload speed is terrible as well.
I get one of the popular "bundle" packages from my cable company.
I pay approximately $125 per month for about 120 channels, unlimited phone, and "6 mb/s" internet speed :lol: :grumpy: :banghead:
But I guess it could be worse, obviously.

My cable provider--New Wave Communications = FAIL


We pay $90 for Austar (paid TV with about 100 channels, can't remember), $60 for 1mb/s internet and a variable phone (about $1 for a minute call)
 


Seeing as I got the 2.5/0.25 package, that's pretty much exactly as advertised for a peak-hours test. And for the converted sum of $8 a month... I think I should upgrade.
 


That's what happens when you download too many mods for rFactor.:lol:

EDIT: Tried again on a Sydney Server(closer to where I live).
 
Last edited:
That ping of 1702 doesn't help one bit!
 
Funnily enough, while the local servers only returned ~250-260kb/s down and 24kb/s up, connecting to a London server gave me the highest downloads - 285kb/s - and a Paris server gave me the lowest ping and highest upload - 14ms and 27kb/s.

And that's disregarding the fact that on a clean connection, my uTorrent regularly pulls 300kb/s down and 35kb/s up.
 
Work's is pretty tidy...

493558338.png


Home's could be worse... (Especially as at the moment I am downloading Top Gear at a massive 8Kb/s from the bbc!!!)

501506802.png


C.
 
Last edited:
Funnily enough, while the local servers only returned ~250-260kb/s down and 24kb/s up, connecting to a London server gave me the highest downloads - 285kb/s - and a Paris server gave me the lowest ping and highest upload - 14ms and 27kb/s.

And that's disregarding the fact that on a clean connection, my uTorrent regularly pulls 300kb/s down and 35kb/s up.

New York (16000km or something) gave me a better speed than Adelaide (100km)
 


I've got a very fast internet connection today :D
 

I have no idea how to read these things, but I'm pretty sure I'm aiming for a low ping?
 
I have no idea how to read these things, but I'm pretty sure I'm aiming for a low ping?
Yes, low ping times are better. Simply put, it's the amount of time it takes for you to send a request to a site and them to send a response back.
 
Back