Votes: 197 19.1%
  • Cable modem

Votes: 419 40.6%
  • DSL

Votes: 346 33.6%
  • Dial-up modem (56k or slower)

Votes: 69 6.7%

• Total voters
Been having major issues in my area since October...

I should be getting: 60mb/s down, 3mb/s up (supposed to have been upgraded already to 100/5)
What I am getting is 5mb/s down, 0.2mb/s up. To make it all worse, my ping is 536ms...

Time to complain for the fifth time.

4100472140.png

Not bad of an upgrade I suppose.

Currently mine is at 97Kb/s Down and 8Km/s Up.

My ISP is doing something stupid

4132854552.png

Been having major issues in my area since October...

I should be getting: 60mb/s down, 3mb/s up (supposed to have been upgraded already to 100/5)
What I am getting is 5mb/s down, 0.2mb/s up. To make it all worse, my ping is 536ms...

Time to complain for the fifth time.

Do you not have a Telecommunications Industry Ombudsmen in the UK.

In Australia if you have an on going problem and the ISP is not trying to fix it you can complain to them and they can get you out of a contract, try to get it sorted out faster

:eek: This is on 3G+. If we can't get something close to this on wired in this new place, I'll get pretty sour.

Edit: Holy bamboozles!

But as one might expect, of course it doesn't reach into my room. It's currently wired in the living room.

Last edited:
My internet speed, which is through BT. I am on the "BT Infinity 2" Which is up to 76MB down and 20MB up

4198295222.png

@Xenn That seems slow for Virgin Media, when I last used them I was hitting 50MB down and 15MB up. Are you on their ADSL connection over the phone line, or using their fibre optic network?

@Ialyrn

I'm not actually sure, but I do know fibre optic is available in my area.

I got some shots of it, maybe that'll help determining what i've got, since i'm not very knowledgeable on this kind of stuff.

internet1_zpswiq94h3m.png
internet2_zpszs1zh4uw.png

Pre-Upgrade
3979009044.png

Post-Upgrade:
4199416894.png

University WiFi:
1182939457.png

4G/LTE on my phone:
1076257481.png

It's a bit disheartening to see that my phone's data is just as fast as my home and uni speeds combined. :lol:

Agreed compared to the 3G and home WiFi above this is my current 4G signal.

image.jpg

Here's what our old router produced. It was the one AT&T Provided for us - Some generic Motorola box that was 2.4GHz G wireless.

Motorola%20Wifi%20(2.4GHz%20G).png

Recently just bought us an Apple AirPort Express (Dual Band 5GHz N router)

Apple%20AirPort%20Wifi%20(5GHz%20N).png

Amazing what a difference a router can make, huh?

So, I've been a user of Comcast for some time now, despite the reputation they have. In some area's it really is the only good choice. I run a server at my house for friends and I to set up game servers on and media share. We are also in the IT industry and practice/experiment on various tools and utilities that we use at work. We recently upgraded from the 50/15 plan to the 105/20 plan. When testing on my desktop using speedtest, I can hit 94 dl and about 26 up. The DL is low because of my network, but surprisingly, for Comcast, over on the upload.
Now I am sitting on my laptop over wireless G and I can get this speed.
4253694581.png

Seems like it is right on the money, until I notice that the server I am connecting to is another Comcast server. I have been noticing that web pages seem to be loading slower since the upgrade, especially when I am connected to the wireless portion of my home network. So I decided to start hitting other servers not tied in with Comcast, and this started happening.
4253703597.png
4253706272.png
4253708840.png

And this is but a small portion of the count that I did, all over America. All topped out around the 18.5 mark. Even other Comcast servers. Some sort of net neutrality conspiracy or one really good link?

Wouldn't the laptop be faster considering it's wired?
Comcast has been coming around lately and messing with the box outside. So I guess they're trying to do something. But Xfinity WiFi on my phone is some fast stuff, but thing is it runs from our router but I don't get the same speed on my home WiFi.

I'll trade any of you. I'll throw in the house I'm renting. Oh, it's slightly better than last time:

Welp, might as well see HOW bad mine is...

3890073058.png

laughing_yao_answer_5_xlarge.png

EDIT: I almost forgot, I get 10 Gigs of "Unlimited" Data monthly, with 10 more during off-hours. Off-hours are 2AM to 8AM.

However I believe for the modern day...THIS IS BULL:censored:

Comcast has been coming around lately and messing with the box outside. So I guess they're trying to do something. But Xfinity WiFi on my phone is some fast stuff, but thing is it runs from our router but I don't get the same speed on my home WiFi.
Where is the wireless router? Are you testing speeds next to it? What obstacles are between you are it? The frequencies and power used by wireless routers for the home can have issues getting through some materials. Also, make sure any slipters are properly grounded.

4G mobile broadband Internet access.

Tested on my laptop. Results seem to be poor... It performs way better - no problems streaming full hd video while someone else is on the line playing bf3 online.

Last edited:
Back