Your Opinions on the H-Shifter/Clutch Changes

Do you like or dislike the changes to the H-Shifter/Clutch combo?

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Dislike

Votes: 83 68.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hello all,

As you may know, PD has decided to change the way upshifting while using clutch works. This was done because apparently using H-Shifter and clutch was much faster, giving players who used this combo the advantage, especially in modes such as Sport.

So far, the responses to this change have been negative as it has affected the whole game. For people (like me) who like authenticity, it has become a huge annoyance having to upshift like a granny. I just like driving cars with the correct combos, I'm not here to get the advantage over everyone.

What's even more annoying is that you can still downshift quickly, making it feel very strange and unnatural when switching between the two (upshifting/downshifting).

What I suggest is that PD implements one of two things: Either disallow H-Shifter/Clutch entirely in Sport mode or restrict the changes to Sport mode only.

I'm sure there could be many more solutions. I've made a poll so you guys can show PD how satisfied/unsatisfied you are with the change.

It was bad before now its far, far worse.

The speed that you have shift is now so slow that it's unusable.

The issue with having to have the clutch depressed 100% was bad enough, but now having to shift so slow as to be utterly unnatural had totally broken it.

Its astounding that what AC and PC gets so right PD manages to break even more

The issue with having to have the clutch depressed 100% was bad enough, but now having to shift so slow as to be utterly unnatural had totally broken it.

Its astounding that what AC and PC gets so right PD manages to break even more

Totally agreed. It's even worse, considering they're adding more old enthusiast cars such as the Stratos.

Imagine having to use the upcoming AE86 with this change! Takumi would be annoyed :D :rolleyes:

Yeah, it totally sucks now, it’s very artificial. My grandma can shift fast than that.
On the up side there is a sound effect when you miss a shift now. Shame I won’t be hearing though as I won’t be using the shifter until this is fixed.
Surely it would have been easier to add a slow/soft return for the clutch, making it take up drive a little slower?

Seriously all they had to do was restrict the one-make Sport Mode races to the Fully Custo Seq transmission, like they do on the friggin World Tour n-class races.

This was literally the worst solution.
Totally agree 👍. I posted this in another thread.

Screwing over the shifter users for the whole game is just plain wrong imo, but I think a better fix would be to allow the use of the Fully Customized Transmission in Sport Mode with locked ratios (by default).

So sad to hear about this change. I drive all cars as they are designed, and I don't like the sound of this change.

Haven't had the chance to try it out yet, will vote once I have experience it first hand.

Hearing the feedback and looking at the video that was posted in another thread this literally breaks all the motivation I have for me to buy a wheel in general, as I myself enjoys using manual stick shifts.
Even when I go an several arcade games I always choose the manual option.

I really hope this gets sorted out..

The clutch in this game is so badly implemented that I can't believe anyone has bothered with it in the past and from what people are saying in this thread its gotten even worse with this update.

In GTS, I use my Logitech shifter clutchlessly and its always worked fine. Haven't had a chance to play with today's update for more than a few mins earlier, Are you guys saying that upshifts take longer even when done clutchless? On all cars?

It is really strange that Assetto can implement a normal clutch but the real driving simulator can't.....

Since when was H shifting in GTS faster than paddles? I can’t believe they’ve further nerfed the clutch+H because it was always a distinct DISadvantage. At least for me. Every other game? No problem. GTS, atrocious. I mean, they don’t even use the H-pattern in the FIA World Championships on cars have them. Joke.

When I read about this update I thought it sounded like a pure audio change telling you’ve missed the shift (which is about 65% of the time).

I guess i should postpone the shifter purchase :lol:

Seriously tho, is it actually that bad? Can anyone share a video or something?

It’s pretty bad, yes. I don’t have a video but if you try to shift quickly, the game artificially makes you stall.

Since when was H shifting in GTS faster than paddles? I can’t believe they’ve further nerfed the clutch+H because it was always a distinct DISadvantage. At least for me. Every other game? No problem. GTS, atrocious. I mean, they don’t even use the H-pattern in the FIA World Championships on cars have them. Joke.

When I read about this update I thought it sounded like a pure audio change telling you’ve missed the shift (which is about 65% of the time).

I believe one example was the Miata race in Tsukuba a few weeks ago. The top times were people using H-Shifter/Clutch.

So, I can understand a need to stop the use due to not many players having such things, but, this is not the way. Restrict such changes to Sport mode.

Before today, this was the difference between paddles vs a shifter in any car with a H pattern gearbox.

Last edited:
This really sucks. It sucked before, but now it's worse. I like to be able to "power shift" (keep rpm's up in between gears and slamming it into gear), but GTS never allowed it - now they make it even slower?!?!

I'm glad I discovered AC, because I'm having a blast with my H-pattern in that game. Nothing like driving older LeMans era cars fully manual - that experience feels realistic. GTS has taken a big step backward for some strange reason.

It's shame they've done this, and it's not as if it's something new. The advantage with the clutch has been around for over a decade, so why now? It's understandable to prohibit its use in competition, like has been over the years, but to render it almost useless will be disappointing for so many.

I'm off to check the reverse button... ;)

Back