Your own best photography

• Thread starter rattrod17
  • 13 comments
Just started getting into HDR pictures, these are all my own. feedback?

DSC000091.jpg

DSC000291.jpg

DSC000391.jpg

DSC000501.jpg

DSC001051.jpg

DSC001261.jpg

Maybe you'll think I'm being harsh, but...

HDR is like B&W. It cannot turn a dull photo into a good one. Your first shot is reasonably subtle from an HDR perspective, but it's little more than a snapshot that's been heavily PP'd. There's a huge distraction foreground right, and the only engine showing any sign of life is third in shot, occluded by the other two. Also, there's a wire in shot that appears to lead to the first engine. This should have been cloned out.

In the second shot, the HDR is hugely overdone, and the horizon isn't straight.

In the third shot the HDR has brought out an horrific level of noise in the original images. Otherwise the shot is quite nice, although I think that the maker's name should really be the sharpest point on the image, not the strings.

The waterfall is OK.

The last two shots are excellent. Huge atmosphere in both of them. But since you were HDR-ing, why didn't you do some fill recovery on the first building to bring it up a bit?

Sorry if you think I'm being mean. You did ask for comments ( :embarrassed: ) I think HDR can do wonders in bringing life to an image, but the image still needs to be a good one, and it's far too easy to overdo the effect.

Also, try inserting a line break between each image. Physically spacing them makes it easier to view each one individually.

Not necessarily my best but I think the end result is quite acceptable. It's not as clear as I would have wished but that's one of the limitations of shooting with a cell phone. (I nice camera is not the right financial choice ATM because I don't think I'm responsible enough to handle hundreds of dollars of equipment)

Edit: Yeah yeah I know shooting shoes is very cliche

4977660130d62204fa51b.jpg

The last shot is the best for what youre trying to achieve. It seems all youre doing is just going into the raw (I hope) and upping the saturation and vivid setting and upping the fill light to make it visible (and the fill light is where youre getting the grainy look from more than likely. In Photoshop under the raw settings you can saturate certain colors instead of all of them and get a more desired look. I would google HDR guides and follow them to a Tee. Its easy to go overboard when you 1st start this so dont worry. Im absolutely no expert, but here are some of my HDRish (i wouldnt consider true HDR)shots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40759781@N05/4781185849/in/set-72157624467122770/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40759781@N05/4781184239/in/set-72157624467122770/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40759781@N05/4781818364/in/set-72157624467122770/

Just started getting into HDR pictures, these are all my own. feedback?

EDITED by mod - removing pictures from quote that we've just seen. Look, they're just up there ^

Even though those photos are amazing and much better than what I could do, that's quite a bit of noise, or did you go overboard with Diffuse Glow in Photoshop? Joking, These photos are magnificent! 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
It is really easy to go overboard on settings once you discover them. Once the newness wears off you can start doing at a more natural setting.

It is really easy to go overboard on settings once you discover them. Once the newness wears off you can start doing at a more natural setting.

So true, I have to stab myself when I am taking a picture of family and friends to make it look the way it does in real life...BUT I NEED MY DAMNED FILTERS, I am so used to them in my creative/artistic side of photography! :scared: !

I like the look of those HDR pics.

So I've always kinda wanted to pick a few of my personal favorite pictures taken over the years. 8 of my favorites (in no particular order):
3926768290_416c16937a_z.jpg

3713262856_aa5d18dc90_z.jpg

3770410321_aab8561bf3_z.jpg

3926764276_2ff070d33d_z.jpg

3960703151_9432ceeec8_z.jpg

4423336587_c437919574_z.jpg

5065800871_678ea1635d_z.jpg

2281975221_68d5553564_z.jpg

Come to think of it, these aren't extremely good pics really... Mostly memorable to myself. I'm trying to get more into the "art" of automotive photography with more stylized, or even abstract photos like the last Porsche one. We'll see how that goes...

Last edited:
lol That part of Manhattan was unusually empty at 5:00am. Also if I recall correctly, the road was blocked from both ends.

Maybe you'll think I'm being harsh, but...

I appreciate your criticism, thats the only way i can improve my skills. And your all right i just got the HDR addition to photoshop and wanted to basicly test it's limits. i haven't been much for proffesional photoshopping, mainly just contrast and whatnot, but i'm gonna try some more and see what i can get together for you guys.

So are you shooting in RAW format or just using a jpeg with the HDR addon? I didnt even know they had an add on. If you take a look at some of my links, those are just the raw file opened in photoshop, and Im merely adjusting the settings of the raw (no filters).

Back