Your practice program

• Thread starter TheW
  • 35 comments
I'm quoting @GT_Alex74 from another post "that one corner"...

So... I think it's probably applicable here as well.
When I practice, I always start slow, and work my way up to what I "feel" is as fast as I can go. By doing so, I'm consistent as all heck, but, I'm betting I never truly find my ultimate pace.
A buddy of mine will jump in and attack the track like a mad man... yep, he goes off track a lot and full on wrecks with regularity as well.
I'm reluctant to go that extra bit in fear or going off track/wrecking... he has no fear but never really gets consistent... just keeps believing his speed will work with a little correction here and there.
Sometimes he gets it all right in one lap and it's blistering... but then we race, and he has trouble over the distance.

There must be some happy medium between the 2 styles... I cannot find it.
I think if you find that medium of not being afraid to make a mistake, yet, work on consistency at the same time, you've found the secrete to practice, and pace.
Good luck, my mind just will not let me go there.

I think this is very important.. not because AI is great competition, rather, because driving against the AI forces you to drive on a different line, cover the brake through sections where they mess up or slam the brake for no apparent reason... It forces you to create alternate entries/apex's to either get that good run out, or find a new brake point off the racing line.
Key to all this as @Sofia Speed noted is, you have to race clean against the AI... if all you do is bump and nudge your way through you are not doing yourself any favors... actually, you are setting up muscle memory to be "that guy" online.
You can set strong penalties on custom races, that’s what I do.
Same track, BoP and strong penalty system...

Two points, one has been mentioned:
  1. Practice non-ideal lines. In a race you'll more often than not have to compromise on something, be it entry, apex, exit, speed. Particularly at slow corners and heavy braking zones, find a different way to take them. Sometimes you'll be the guy defending the inside and sometimes you'll be trying to go around the outside. Find what works in multiple situations.
  2. PRACTICE YOUR ROLLING START! Nobody does this and that's why Lap 1 turn 1 is a mess. You will not be at full pace when the race starts so your braking point changes and likely your entry and exit will as well with traffic. Make sure you know how to get in and out alive.
Bonus item! If you know the reqs ahead of time, try practicing with tires one step harder. If the event is for Sport Soft, practice on Mediums for a few laps. Since you need to be a little more careful with everything it can help you to be smoother when you are on the softer tires.

Bonus item! If you know the reqs ahead of time, try practicing with tires one step harder. If the event is for Sport Soft, practice on Mediums for a few laps. Since you need to be a little more careful with everything it can help you to be smoother when you are on the softer tires.

Absolutely and adding tire wear between 2x - 5x, depending on softness, can add even more depth to practice sessions.

Latest Posts

Back