Your predictions for the driver line-up, 2010

• Thread starter Ardius
  • 703 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah right(!):rolleyes:

So let me get this straight. NH ISN'T a good driver because he made a mistake doing a dohnut in an exhibition?

Yeah, he must suck. Anyone could drive an F1 at the speeds he does every race, right?

At no point did I say that I didn't rate Heidfeld

But you said he was a bad driver.

But if he was a good driver, he wouldn't have done this (NOTE: incriminating evidence is at 1:21)

This is what gave me that impression in the first place

Yeah right(!):rolleyes:

This made me think it even more

At no point did I say that I didn't rate Heidfeld

If you do rate Heidfeld as a driver, thats fair enough I misinterpreted your posts and we're both agreed he's got something to offer, but you've got a funny way of showing it

Last edited:
"According to Eddie Jordan", run through "F1 BS translator" is equivalent to "fabrication from the deranged mind of a complete arse".

No i never, my exact quote was "if he was a good driver, he wouldn't have done this", i never once called him a bad driver

But you're saying he isn't a good driver. I don't see how it's possible to be in Formula for nine years and not be a 'good' driver.

Obviously this set off the "Eddie Jordan BS-ometer"

But Schumi's spokesperson didn't flat out deny it.

Really hoping it might turn out to be true though...

There were talks that Schumacher was looking for coming back after his almost come-back this year. It was rumoured that Ferrari wanted to increase the limit of driver to 3 in order to have Schumacher back. When you add his possible desire to come back, that Ross Brawn is there, to the fact Mercedes wants top German drivers, to the fact Mercedes is a top team, and the fact every team would love to have Schumacher, it makes some sense. It's also said that Mercedes is waiting for Vettel's contract to end next year, so they want to a driver for 1 year.

If you add it all up, it actually makes some sense. If it turns out to be true, 2010 would be a hell of a season.

"According to Eddie Jordan",

Well, all's we know from that is Mercedes DEFINITELY DO NOT want Michael Schumacher. Just like Mclaren wouldn't win a race all season, Massa's crash was a bump on the chin, KERS would never win a race and no one would match Hamilton's pace at Abu Dhabi, eh Eddie?

I hope Schumi comes back, I just started following F1 this year, so I never witnessed the dominance he had on the track, so that would be cool to see.

There are a few things that would make sense if Schumacher is coming to Mercedes:
-Norbert referred to some "surprises", well this certainly would be a surprise!
-It would provide a reason for Button to be kicked out of the team (if Mercedes had the option of Schumacher or Button, who would you expect them to take?)
-Obviously we know the Ross Brawn + Schumi combo works, maybe even Ross is the one that has started this? He knows Michael well and we all know how Michael quite clearly wants to come back into racing. Perhaps he also knows the real truth to his 2006 retirement and so knows Michael will do it.
-The massive publicity generated by such a signing, especially for a German manufacturer....along side Rosberg.

If it does happen, I feel sorry for Rosberg :lol: He was all set to have a go at beating the current world champion in the same car and maybe mount his own title challenge. Now it looks like he's going to really have to prove how good he is.

Of course, as usual, I take EJ's words with a grain of salt. At least when he's predicting something. He tends to just take the opposite or controversial side of any argument and states wild predictions and guesses. For news reporting, he is horrible. For punditry, he is perfect - at least when he's got DC to talk some sense into the debate or Martin to point out how rubbish the Jordan 196 was.
The BBC should stop asking him all the questions for their website/news programmes. I know people hate Legard's commentary but at the very least he is a little less bonkers than EJ and seems to write good blogs, ask him the questions, he's barely used outside of commentary.

Last edited:
I hope Schumi comes back, I just started following F1 this year, so I never witnessed the dominance he had on the track, so that would be cool to see.
No it wouldn't. 2004 was one of the most boring seasons of all time. Nobody wants to go back to that.

-It would provide a reason for Button to be kicked out of the team (if Mercedes had the option of Schumacher or Button, who would you expect them to take?)
Button wasn't kicked out. From reading Ross Brawn's comments on the subject, he clearly anted Button to stay. Reading beween the lines of Nick Fry's, the task of getting Button to stay fell to Fry. But Fry felt that Button owed the team for this World Championship, decided to play hardball, and that's when the world fell apart fo them.

It's not like if he came back he would automatically dominate anyway. Look at 05 and 06. There are several drivers on the grid that are of his caliber in terms of pure driving talent. He's just probably one of the most well rounded, ferocious drivers out there...and a true genius as well. I'm sure Hamilton and Alonso would be more than up to taking on Schumacher though...as well as Massa and Vettel.

Last edited:
I'm sure Hamilton and Alonso would be more than up to taking on Schumacher though...as well as Massa and Vettel.

We all know that Alonso has the measure of Michael Schumacher, round the outside at 130r anyone, but Hamilton & Vettel are as yet untested against him. It would certainly make for some exciting viewing, all the young pups trying to make a name for themselves against the wise old master. Bring it on!!!

We all know that Alonso has the measure of Michael Schumacher, round the outside at 130r anyone, but Hamilton & Vettel are as yet untested against him. It would certainly make for some exciting viewing, all the young pups trying to make a name for themselves against the wise old master. Bring it on!!!

Well Hamilton seemed to do quite well against Alonso in 07 when they were team mates. I'm also of the opinion that both of them have improved a fair bit since then, as they both have really been tested mentally in the past year or two...especially Alonso who went from back to back Championships in 05/06 (the highest high), to Mclaren where he was surrounded by drama, and then to Renault where they slowly but surely become the least competitive team in F1 (the lowest low). Undoubtedly they are both going to be two hungry wolves next year....should be epic!

Well Hamilton sort of proved himself against Alonso, so that sort of leaves Vettel. It's harder to compare him to other drivers directly, accept of course, to his team mates. In both cases he beat them, there is little doubt in my mind that Vettel is one of the best drivers in F1 currently and isn't far from a WDC in the near future.

So in the hypothetical scenario of Michael Schumacher driving for Mercedes next season, we have a very interesting sharp end of the grid.

Mercedes look in a great position for the title next season, the team is basically last years constructors winners Brawn GP but with even more money. Add that to Brawns comments about early 2010 development and the obvious strategy advantage Ross Brawn can potentially give, the package looks one of the strongest for next season. Lets not forget that Michael is the most successful F1 driver history and Nico Rosburg has looked like a very impressive driver in the Williams for some time. Its highly likely Mercedes will be a force to be reckoned with next season.

It doesn't take a genius to figure that Ferrari will likely be at the top next season, huge resources, plenty of development time for the 2010 car and Possibly the strongest driver line up of all with both Alonso and Massa. Last season wasn't great but I would be surprised if they weren't right at the top next season.

Red Bull, probably the fastest car this season have a decent chance of being right up there next season too. Combine that with Decent drivers, notably Sebastian Vettel (IMO one of the best drivers on the grid) and they may be battling for the constructors title again this year.

Mclaren, as usual, will most likely be a strong favourite for the constructors title, huge resources and what was probably the second fastest car by the end of the 2009 season. Also possibly the strongest driver line up (being the only team with two world champions) its unlikely that McLaren won't be right in the mix next season.

So I count that as 4 title contenders for next season IMO.

I can't wait.

Well, saying those 4 teams will be title contenders doesn't really mean squat until we hit the first race next season and see how things play out and where everyone is stacked up.

Going into last year (the 09 season) we thought we would have Mclaren, Ferrari, BMW, and possibly Renault as contenders...and look what happened :lol: Basically nothing is guaranteed, even though things will be more stable going into next year.

Those 4 teams mentioned will likely be the most successful in the sport next season. The interesting part will be to see who is the more successful out of those 4, and by how much.

Last edited:
Duh.

But there's a more realisic cance that four will be strong next season because everyone knows their way aorund the new regulations.

Button wasn't kicked out. From reading Ross Brawn's comments on the subject, he clearly anted Button to stay. Reading beween the lines of Nick Fry's, the task of getting Button to stay fell to Fry. But Fry felt that Button owed the team for this World Championship, decided to play hardball, and that's when the world fell apart fo them.

We will probably never know the real reasons behind the split. But Nick Fry's words came across as quite bitter really. Perhaps they were annoyed that Jenson had played along with them saying he would stay at Brawn for so long only to switch at the last minute leaving Brawn/Mercedes with less options.
But I think there's more to it than that. Jenson says he's gone to McLaren for the challenge, he wanted a new challenge and beating Hamilton in his own car in his own team is what he wants to do. But there will almost certainly be bigger reason why he has done this.
I think he was kicked out in the sense of not being offered a competitive contract, maybe not literally kicked out but certainly made obvious they didn't show they wanted him enough.

When was the last time we had that?

Probably 1982, when Ferrari, Renault, McLaren and Williams all had a chance at both championships.

Well, saying those 4 teams will be title contenders doesn't really mean squat until we hit the first race next season and see how things play out and where everyone is stacked up.

Going into last year (the 09 season) we thought we would have Mclaren, Ferrari, BMW, and possibly Renault as contenders...and look what happened :lol: Basically nothing is guaranteed, even though things will be more stable going into next year.

Those 4 teams mentioned will likely be the most successful in the sport next season. The interesting part will be to see who is the more successful out of those 4, and by how much.

2010 is not a bigger step in the regulations as 2009 was. There will be no double diffuser to find and no KERS to spectacularly fail.
I agree we shouldn't be so sure of who will be on top, these 4 have the strongest base to build off - whereas in 2009 they had to start from scratch.

The current rumour though is that the Cosworth engine may well turn out to be the double diffuser of 2010....which would certainly turn the predicted order of teams around somewhat!

Autosport confirms Jose Maria Lopez will drive for USF1 next season - if he can put together a sponsorship package soon. Some reports I've heard suggest he's got about 80% of what he needs.

Autosport confirms Jose Maria Lopez will drive for USF1 next season - if he can put together a sponsorship package soon. Some reports I've heard suggest he's got about 80% of what he needs.

Wasn't the plan for USF1 to sign one experienced F1 driver to partner a young US driver? Jose Maria Lopez is neither.

Based on this signing I'd say they will be the new Minardi, only without the huge number of fans.

If this is the case, would I be right in thinking he will be the first Argentine driver to race in F1 since Gaston Mazzacane.

My lord, who remembers him?

Looks like Button is really looking forward to taking on Hamilton next year, having said: "Moving to McLaren is the buzz I need, fighting against Lewis."

All I can say is that he better perform near the same level as Lewis otherwise he's going to look like a over confident fool...

All I can say is that he better perform near the same level as Lewis otherwise he's going to look like a over confident fool...

The way I see it, he has nothing to lose - no one expects him to beat Lewis. Nothing wrong with being confident he can do it, maybe he can on occasion. But I don't think his public appearance will be affected at all - most people already don't rate him.
He had more to lose tackling Rosberg...

I gladly welcome back the pay drivers :lol: they made F1 so colourful. I thought perhaps USF1 had some promise but now I'm back to doubting them. I've gone from being interested when I heard their "radical approach" to doubting them when they started claiming they were going to field two US drivers then back to considering them a good team when they went back and said they would get experienced drivers.
Now I can only shake my head and wonder how many seconds off the pace they will be at Bahrain. Shall we bring back the 107% rule? Then Badoer's performances this year wouldn't look so bad (they were well within 107%).

I hope for the sake of a USGP that they bring a competitive car because their current driver prospects sound sorely lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back