Your Thoughts on Gran Turismo 7 (Since Update 1.37)

• Thread starter Chris30
  • 101 comments
Most players on PS5 and PS4 didn't touch those "best modes".
This old dead argument.

On PS5 “In-Depth Mastery” (Finished 50 races in Sport mode.) sits at 2,4% with four other trophies (excluding platinum for obvious reasons) above it, ranked by rarity. The three photography ones along with “Three Legendary Cars”. Just a tiny, tiny bit more common is for example “Hard Work Pays Off” (Earned Gold in all licences.) and “Digging the Dirt” (Won 10 races on dirt tracks.) along with “Circuit Master” (Completed 15 tracks (all sectors) in Circuit Experience), at 3,3%, 3,5% and 5,2% respectively. Also consider for example that Circuit Master requires only 15 and you can select particularly easier ones only for example.

On PS4 In-Depth Mastery has 3,9% with five other trophies being more rare.

I guess people don’t care much for singleplayer either, huh.

Honestly at this point, I really don't care about getting 100% here, it's just adding more stress and negative reality in my life. Maybe I should just let go of it and enjoy the game like it is. You gotta admit Sport mode has some great options of fun and time trials. At least you can get big rewards in the "Time Trial" section.

Polyphony Digital said "Gran Turismo is back." Not "Gran Turismo Sport is back"
Doesn't mean they should remove features and QoL things such as;

GT League (more specifically the variety of events)

This may not have been the best structured career admittedly, but they did a great job with the amount and selection of events. Almost every track is used and almost every car has at least one event for it. Something GT7 sorely lacks is events to use our cars in.

Track selection in SP Time trial

In Sport you could change the track directly from the Time Trial screen without having to slog through a bunch of menus.

Music in SP Time Trial

I'd probably care more for the soundtrack in GT7 if I could actually focus on it, instead of only hearing it during a race when I'm preoccupied by trying to catch the rabbit. Currently there is nothing but dead silence when doing an SP Time Trial in GT7. Music made this mode more entertaining to use.

Credit payout for SP Time Trial

I know not many people care or even remember this, but having a credit payout for doing an SP Time Trial was a good way of incentivizing players to test out cars and tracks, and it also meant that even if you were one to not care for the boring chase the rabbit events you could still progress in the game.

All cars available in Brand Central for purchase

Having all cars available to purchase whenever meant you didn't have to stress about missing out on a car if you can't afford it when it shows up in the dealership. It also meant you were given more freedom to choose your pace of progression when building your garage.

Auto-Equipping dirt tires when doing SP Time Trial on dirt track

In GT7 when you try to do an SP Time trial on a dirt track without dirt tires equipped it will force an error saying you don't have dirt tires equipped. To equip the dirt tires in GT7 you're forced to back out of all the menus and go to your garage. In Sport it would auto-equip these tires for you.

XP system

They retrofitted this into what is now the collector level. problem with collector level is that you only gain points when you buy a car. The XP was better in the sense where you gained points for racing or for doing SP Time Trials, giving a better sense of game progression ultimately.

Last edited:
Doesn't mean they should remove features and QoL things such as;

GT League (more specifically the variety of events)

This may not have been the best structured career admittedly, but they did a great job with the amount and selection of events. Almost every track is used and almost every car has at least one event for it. Something GT7 sorely lacks is events to use our cars in.

Track selection in SP Time trial

In Sport you could change the track directly from the Time Trial screen without having to slog through a bunch of menus.

Music in SP Time Trial

I'd probably care more for the soundtrack in GT7 if I could actually focus on it, instead of only hearing it during a race when I'm preoccupied by trying to catch the rabbit. Currently there is nothing but dead silence when doing an SP Time Trial in GT7. Music made this mode more entertaining to use.

Credit payout for SP Time Trial

I know not many people care or even remember this, but having a credit payout for doing an SP Time Trial was a good way of incentivizing players to test out cars and tracks, and it also meant that even if you were one to not care for the boring chase the rabbit events you could still progress in the game.

All cars available in Brand Central for purchase

Having all cars available to purchase whenever meant you didn't have to stress about missing out on a car if you can't afford it when it shows up in the dealership. It also meant you were given more freedom to choose your pace of progression when building your garage.

Auto-Equipping dirt tires when doing SP Time Trial on dirt track

In GT7 when you try to do an SP Time trial on a dirt track without dirt tires equipped it will force an error saying you don't have dirt tires equipped. To equip the dirt tires in GT7 you're forced to back out of all the menus and go to your garage. In Sport it would auto-equip these tires for you.

XP system

They retrofitted this into what is now the collector level. problem with collector level is that you only gain points when you buy a car. The XP was better in the sense where you gained points for racing or for doing SP Time Trials, giving a better sense of game progression ultimately.
No one said they should remove anything, what has been said is more solo campaign should be added. I know many people who quit this game because there is nothing for the offline player.

The sheer volume of players who have not completed a Sport race proves this beyond all doubt

This old dead argument.

On PS5 “In-Depth Mastery” (Finished 50 races in Sport mode.) sits at 2,4% with four other trophies (excluding platinum for obvious reasons) above it, ranked by rarity. The three photography ones along with “Three Legendary Cars”. Just a tiny, tiny bit more common is for example “Hard Work Pays Off” (Earned Gold in all licences.) and “Digging the Dirt” (Won 10 races on dirt tracks.) along with “Circuit Master” (Completed 15 tracks (all sectors) in Circuit Experience), at 3,3%, 3,5% and 5,2% respectively. Also consider for example that Circuit Master requires only 15 and you can select particularly easier ones only for example.

On PS4 In-Depth Mastery has 3,9% with five other trophies being more rare.

I guess people don’t care much for singleplayer either, huh.
It's not a dead argument as you have conveniently ignored the trophy for first Circuit experience which is at 55% while complete a SINGLE sport race is at drum roll 38.7%.

Your move

It's not a dead argument as you have conveniently ignored the trophy for first Circuit experience which is at 55% while complete a SINGLE sport race is at drum roll 38.7%.

Your move
My move? :lol: “The First Step to Mastery” (Completed a track (all sectors) in Circuit Experience) on PS5 is earned by 40,9% of all players, how do you mean that is an indication to a focus and participation in the single player side of things? That’s one of the most simple and easy trophies in the whole game and not even half of the players have done it. If something it says most players didn’t even bother to explore and complete basic parts of the single player and career mode. The numbers follow the same trend as most video games where percentage drop-off is quite quick after the first couple of hours of the game.

You people would perhaps have a point if “Sport Mode Debut” sat at a low single figure number and ones like “Fully Licensed” and “Circuit Master” had 60 - 80% but as we know, that is incredibly far from the truth. Instead those two are at 15,5% and 5,2% respectively.

My move? :lol: “The First Step to Mastery” (Completed a track (all sectors) in Circuit Experience) on PS5 is earned by 40,9% of all players, how do you mean that is an indication to a focus and participation in the single player side of things? That’s one of the most simple and easy trophies in the whole game and not even half of the players have done it. If something it says most players didn’t even bother to explore and complete basic parts of the single player and career mode. The numbers follow the same trend as most video games where percentage drop-off is quite quick after the first couple of hours of the game.

You people would perhaps have a point if “Sport Mode Debut” sat at a low single figure number and ones like “Fully Licensed” and “Circuit Master” had 60 - 80% but as we know, that is incredibly far from the truth. Instead those two are at 15,5% and 5,2% respectively.
This approach has a rather big flaw... Circuit Experience does not form the 'campaign' the menu books do, which has seen a lot of players complete, part of which is unlocking sport mode... the engagement with that side seems somewhat lacking, adding credence to the perspective that this mode is not seen by the majority of people who bought the game, as a mode which engages them as much as a more traditional campaign does.

Last edited:
This approach has a rather big flaw... Circuit Experience does not form the 'campaign' the menu books do, which has seen a lot of players complete, part of which is unlocking sport mode... the engagement with that side seems somewhat lacking, adding credence to the perspective that this mode is not seen by the majority of people who bought the game, as a mode which engages them as much as a more traditional campaign does.
There is a menu book that mandates you complete a circuit experience. So yes, you are forced to engage with it in the campaign.

There is a menu book that mandates you complete a circuit experience. So yes, you are forced to engage with it in the campaign.
Don't recall that one, though it has been a long time since I played. Which was it? How far in to the 'campaign'?

I haven't touched Sport Mode at all in GT7, but I did give it a serious go in GT Sport. Thought I'd share my experience with it here, seeing as it seems to be the crux of some of the arguments here on this thread.

At first, it was really rewarding to finally find competent racers on my skill level to see how far I could push myself up the rankings. My race pace and racecraft improved drastically beyond anything the single player campaign could ever hope to instill in me. The game finally "made sense" to me as a package.

But I found that, after a while, I hit a plateau in my skill level, at which point, Sport Mode became more of a second job and a chore than actual fun. I had to spend obsessive hours finding the best strats for each race, and then practice it several times over before the actual race, only to get punted and penalised for it. It stressed me out and made me really bitter. I quit Sport Mode and joined a weekly club populated by familiar faces and trustworthy racers, and I never looked back since.

Even with the generous credit payouts at the end of each season, I never felt inclined or incentivised to go back to Sport Mode. I realise and accept that I'll never be the top 0.1% that can share a track with the Igor Fragas and Kylian Drumonts, and it seems to me that Sport Mode exists mainly to fish out these exceptional talents, with not much else on offer for anyone else. To my understanding, PD has seemingly given up on creating a somewhat functioning penalty system that fairly penalises players for wrongdoings even when Sport was receiving active support, and from what I hear, that has yet to change in GT7. I don't recall a single patch note that claims to have adjusted the penalty algorithm between player contact (please prove me wrong if I am). If a solution for the penalty system is found, maybe, maybe I'll dabble in Sport Mode. If I wanted credits, I'd do the Big 4 grind instead of subjecting myself to tense, angry players.

Realistically speaking, I'm not even sure what PD can offer to incentivise Sport Mode play to me, and hence why I can't accept GT7 being focused on or built around such a flawed and shallow mode, much less be a crutch as a selling point.

Which brings me to the single player campaign of GT7. WHAT single player campaign? The whole Café Menu Book shebang felt like an overbearing tutorial that overstayed its welcome fifty times over. The AI are still imbecilic toddlers barely learning to walk on a racetrack who defend turns under blue flags. And just when I thought hope was on the horizon with Sophy, I find that it's programmed to have utterly inhumane pace that even players who play GT7 for a living, like Super GT, have to exploit to beat, available only on a handful of tracks with a predetermined car, and only available on the PS5. That hardly sounds anywhere near ready to be in an implementable state for the campaign. Only four races in the entire game offer a good, repeatable payout for the time invested, passively shunning a player for playing any other race. I struggle to find a use for the vast majority of the cars in the game. Custom Race AI cars just give up and won't even use full throttle when passed by the player. They still use the car's default tyres despite retaining all other mods.

Nowadays, I try to hop onto GT7 for about an hour a day after work, just to do one Sard A race with a custom music playlist, be insulted by my daily workout gift, then mess around with a few favourite road cars in Time Trails. It's reminiscent of the time I was in school and religiously playing GT2 every day after school. But GT7 hasn't the "soul" of GT2. It doesn't incite that sense of wonder of winning an obtuse car in a special colour, nor offer a use for all the lovingly recreated cars it has. Recently, I tried driving the ID.R, Alphard, Polo, and Mazda3, and I really liked how they drove stock. I can't find a single event to enter them in unless I tune/cripple the bejesus out of them. If I wanted to trot around in a stock FC RX-7 in GT2, there are events that will be easy, just right, and hard to beat, and I could choose to do any of them. GT2 was a game that shipped early but dwarfed my mind. GT7 had 2 delays and shipped in a beta like state with a half baked campaign and broken physics.

GT7 may be a fixture of my life currently, but I'm still bitterly disappointed with how it turned out, and wish it could be so, so much better, especially after the deceptive marketing leading to launch. I think, if not for my weekly club and circle of friends, I'd have long since sold my copy of GT7. GT7 is still fun to me, but a lot of times I have to make that fun for myself with a group of friends. It's like dining in a restaurant where I have to turn on the air con and cook the food for myself. It's dumb, but it's the only restaurant in town.

Menu book 24, Dragon Trail Gardens.
That's pretty late into the books, so can definitely see people have either dropped off the game (the menu books are pretty dull to be fair) or locked to another mode. Either way, more people have still done one circuit Experience than a Sport race. In terms of player retention it's looking pretty poor

Sport mode is always the same races. Always gr3 or gr4.

Always the same tracks.

Not enough variety.
That's why there needs to be more of a cry out from the community.

IMHO, I don't understand how anyone plays the single player. I mean, I understand why (payouts), but playing it because it's actually enjoyable? I don't understand. It has been a mindless parade forever.

Not seeing this "focus on multiplayer" that's being bandied about in here. They change 3 races a week, often with little care for how well the combinations work and recently have been reusing old weeks combos ie. Copy and paste.

They run the occasional championship, sure. The current ones are 5 races over 2+ months. It's hardly overflowing with content is it.

Online has not taken away from single player modes at all, it's barely touched guys.

Ah you can always trust gamers on the internet to be relentlessly negative. :D

Personally I love GT7 very much. I only bought the game a few months ago but I can't imagine getting bored any time soon, there aren't enough hours in the day for everything I want to do and I'm nowhere near completing the collection. I still haven't managed gold on all the S licence tests and I've not even tried the Human Comedy races yet.

I do think it's a game where the right mindset is needed. There's really no need to grind the same 3 events all day every day in order to buy every car as quickly as possible, why not take your time to enjoy the cars that you do have and build the collection slowly? Paint them, tune them, test them, race them. Then buy another one if you have the credits. Yesterday all I did was spend some time with some neglected cars in my garage, it was wonderful, and I'm looking forward to taking them into the lobbies and trying them against other people.

It's not really the fault of the game if you refuse to engage with two of the game's best modes (Sport and Lobbies).

Of course, it's not perfect. The credit payouts for Daily Races are far too low, and I would certainly love some more tracks and more viable grind events. These problems do not at all detract from my enjoyment of the game though, can't wait for tonight where I plan to work on my 450pp collection, it needs some attention.

PSVR2 helps of course, if you've not tried that then you should, I could spend hours simply driving the same car around the same track, it doesn't get boring!
Honestly I wholeheartedly agree with this take. GT7 is a wonderful game if you have the right mindset. If you actively choose not to chase the incredibly expensive and actually pretty useless high-roller classic cars, the game becomes so much more enjoyable.

The custom race feature is my favourite mode on any Gran Turismo game so far. I love having complete control over the length of the races, the opponent cars and liveries, the difficulty, everything. Then for online races you can just rent the cars you need so a bad economy isn’t a factor there.

I’ve honestly had more fun in custom races than in the entirely of the singleplayer portions of the PS3 era games and Sport. It’s the first GT game I’ve played where the AI if you set it up right will actually hang with you the whole race and fight you sometimes. I never win any of the hour-long endurance races I run by more than 20 seconds. I’ve even lost a few occasionally. Then the online is just as accessible as Sport’s with much more content.

In summary, there’s a lot to like in GT7 I think, you just need to be willing to find it. That includes casting off the attitude of “gotta catch ‘em all”, chasing after hundreds of cars in which 90% of them you’ll drive less than 100kms and never use again anyways. I’ve chased a few of the high roller cars personally, but only because I knew I’d use them a lot for my races, and they have gotten a lot of use. I’ve probably driven thousands of kilometres by now in the F1 Longtail, setting up dozens of endurance races.

Something I think people kinda miss now is in the marketing and leadup to GT7, I could have sworn I remember Kaz really emphasizing the "making a connection with your car" angle of play in this game. With cars like my F1 and GT-R, I really feel like I have. I feel connected to them after races upon races. I feel comfortable driving them as hard as I can, and I trust their characteristics. It's a really awesome feeling that not many other games in the series, or in general give me.

1694450374867.png1694450733429.png

Last edited:
Truth be told, this may be the best looking and driving GT game but its not the most fun/longevity. GT4 has it beat in those departments.

Even with the updates, I find myself only running Le Mans and Spa because - grind. I mostly make liveries instead of driving because what is the point of driving the tracks with low payouts? They were fun in the beginning but once you over it and enter the grindfest mode because you want the better cars, this game becomes a boring chore. Too bad Kaz/PD chose to go this route to entice people to spend real money or grind.

The update is cool and all but its the same ole grind with a few tweaks to dynamics and a good car or two with some blah ones mixed in. Really nothing can help this game overall than an overhaul. Even when I take a long break and come back, within a few races or liveries, I'm bored.

Would love for PD to just let us make our own racing series and choose our own payouts that would reflect real world series payouts or set a reasonable cap thats far better than the current payouts on most tracks lol. Or they can just mimic the races of ISMA/WEC/Fanatec/GT Open seasons with the tracks they run on and substitues for those not in game. At the end you get a really big payout for winning the championship.

Imagine if they did this while incorporating B-spec. You can drive for the Pro title and your Bob can drive for the AM title on the same track same time. So you get to create a race team and race too. Just throwing some ideas out that could really wake up this series from the monotony of the past 10 or so years....

I enjoy the current state of GT7 a lot, I haven't gotten close to bored really of all the different track / car combos, but do suspect a lot of that is due to VR. I'd probably have been primarily playing ACC/iRacing without the VR implementation in this game, which is fantastic really. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement both online and single player though, but I'm happy with the game still.

Last edited:
Yeah, I enjoy a lot of the tracks too, but they didn't add the features that would make it more entertaining, like adding more championships with the AI, or adding more fun missions. And I am not crazy about Music Rally. Honestly that section is boring to me, that's why I don't play it much.

Not seeing this "focus on multiplayer" that's being bandied about in here. They change 3 races a week, often with little care for how well the combinations work and recently have been reusing old weeks combos ie. Copy and paste.
That's still more than the effort they've put into the singleplayer event updates.

There also should be more variety races in Sport, they should add a D and E section primarily for Gr 1/Gr 2 cars and VGT ones as well. That would spice things up a notch.

There also should be more variety races in Sport, they should add a D and E section primarily for Gr 1/Gr 2 cars and VGT ones as well. That would spice things up a notch.
It's been asked a million times and PD will never do it. I would prefer race D to be endurance though. Anywhere from an hour to 6 hour races.

My 2 cents.

Its funny looking at the comments and seeing the mix of negative and positive ones, with everyone trying to be "right"
The thing is, you're all right (well mostly)

GT7 for me at least, is a very disappointing game but I still find myself playing it weekly. PD got a vast majority of the fundamentals right but they have missed out so much good stuff that GT players have come to love about the series over the many years of playing it.

PD managed to continue the high standards of graphical beaty and attention to detail and PSVR2 really accentuates that. Its great.
The game drives and handles like a GT game should
The sound aspect has come a long way (except the music playlists were better in older games imo)
Online and Sport are improving (It was a disaster on launch)

However the game lacks in many different ways. Most of these issues could be fixed fairly quickly but its clear that PD have no interest in doing so.

Cafe menu - its a long, boring and linear, drawn our tutorial. These should be side quests, or just a tutorial and not the basis of the entire game.
Chase the rabbit in nearly every race - this isn't racing and should be left to the "missions" section of the game
Economy - Clearly designed as a free to play game to maximize profits out its player base - its not fun to play
Massive lack of content in single player - a GT League desperately needs to be added
Custom race needs more features
Online needs more features
Lots of small QOL improvements to speed up menu's, purchasing cars, changing cars, purchasing upgrades, changing liveries, grouping decals, the ability to fix your error when selecting the wrong tires when pitting in the 20 second wait... etc
Proper endurance races - based on real life events - with the ability to save while in pit stops
The penalty system is still a joke - it will never be 100% right but it needs a massive overhaul
The track limits issue needs to be set in a standard way that makes sense

I expected GT7 to be a blend of old GT games with the addition of Sport mode with a massive improvement to their penalty system... and this would have been perfect. I had hoped that they would innovate and take from other racing games to bring the series forward but there is clearly none of that going on.

GT7 needs a Spec 2.0 update.
This would bring in a GT League mode vase amount of QOL improvements. That's all this game needs these days to please most of its players.. everyone could play the way that they want to play and it would be fun again.

Last edited:
tl;dr: It's just all of these small to moderate problems on top of the glaring ones that build up to really suck the joy out of the experience, for me at least.

I'm so disappointed in this game. The terrible single player, dumb AI (how is AI this dumb in a modern AAA game?), frustrating roulette system, repetitive and uninspired online mode, and confusing dynamic time and weather track choices are bad enough but the inconsistent logic in the options and UI are becoming nails in the coffin for me.

Custom Race
  • There isn't a dedicated button to change your car in the Custom Race screens. You have to go to an event that allows the car you want to change it.
  • The opponents you race in Random when you have an upgraded car are chosen based on the PP of your car when it's stock so you have no competition.
  • Similarly, you race against the completely stock version of your car in one-make if it's upgraded.
  • When making a custom grid, the cars are reverted to their stock tires unless they have racing tires on, in which case they're reverted to Racing Hards. Why?
  • Some cars only have the one-make option when the PP system exists for finding equal opponents not to be a problem.
  • Abysmal payouts
Lobbies
  • Lobby select doesn't tell you if a race is in progress like it did in GTS, so you waste your time entering a room when you could've found another.
  • If you don't mind waiting for a race to finish, you can't change your car nor your settings to prepare for the next race, like you could in GTS.
  • You can't edit the room name after you've published the room, like you could in GTS.
  • Still no host migration option like in GTS
  • The menu music carries over into spectator mode instead of playing the replay music (very small but baffling that it's still there)
  • Every little change made to the room completely resets it, unlike in GTS where the settings that reset the room made sense.
  • You can't see the specs of other players' car like you could in GTS.
  • Also abysmal payouts
Miscellaneous
  • Being returned to the top of the garage when it's sorted instead of your current car, the latter of which would save time when picking your custom grid and you don't have to scroll all the way down to cars around the same PP/year/hp/etc each time.
  • Super licenses have gotten no use at all.
  • We haven't gotten championships in a while (even though the races in them would still be chase the rabbit)
  • No more chili pepper races since launch either
  • Car Collector level thing has almost no payoff

I'm kind of running out of things to do in GT7. I own all the cars, all the paint colors, all the wheels, I've gotten first on every single player race, I have golded every license test, golded every mission, got every trophy for the game and have golded almost every circuit experience. I could keep grinding just to get gold on everything but what's the point? So I get some credits? For what? I'm not going to buy multiples of the same car. Modding a car to its fullest extent doesn't really cost more than a single Tokyo 600 race, so why would I waste hours of my time trying to get gold on the CE just to get 1M credits? I can get a guaranteed 825k credits in 25 minutes.

I've been trying to get in to the Sport side of things, but doing the weekly time trial is worse than doing the circuit experiences, IMO. Far too much time spent for such a low payout. Sport races are okay, but there are only 3 and once I've done each a couple of times, I'm done. I'm a B/S drivers and I really don't think I will ever progress to being an A driver unless I bang my head against a wall spending hours doing lap, after lap, after lap. I realIy dont want to spend my free time like that.

So is GT7 a good game? I've enjoyed it. I got basically 11 months of enjoyment out of it. Hundreds of hours have been spent playing it. So I can't say the game isn't worth it. Now that I've done basically everything, I think I'm ready to try other stuff.

Well at least there are a variety of things to do in gt7. I don't know how far it will go, moneywise. Yeah, it would be more fun if they had a Daily race D endurance race section where the reward for first place is 4 million, but I don't think PD will do that, unless some miracle happens.

Back