You're in charge, what would you do? - Nissan Edition

Discussion in 'Cars in General' started by Eunos_Cosmo, May 20, 2019.

?

Is Nissan in trouble?

1. Yes, a lot

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Yes, a little

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  3. Not really

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Not at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Eunos_Cosmo

Eunos_Cosmo

Apparently, Nissan is flailing lately in the US market. Too much emphasis on rental/fleet sales and cash on the hood offers means their profit margins are at rock bottom. The scary thing for Nissan is that they don't even appear to be working on anything new/exciting to re-invigorate their lineup. In my opinion, this is not the same Nissan that made the 300ZX Twin Turbo, or even the same Nissan that produced the nuclear-grade R35 GTR (even though they still do). I can't think of a single product they make that I would even consider over the competition, apart from the 370z which doesn't really have a competitor (and even though that's true, they still can't sell any of them).

So I thought it would be interesting to play a hypothetical game of "what would you do?". If you had complete authoritarian control over Nissan, how would you right the ship? This is open ended, structure your response however you want.

First, I think they need a "there there" product to actually formalize a brand strategy around. The only thing remotely close to that is the R35 GTR, even though it's ancient. I think Nissan needs to imbue every product with some amount of Godzilla as its the only thread of character they have. Think hard-edged and functionalist styling, and a kind of brutal character. So here's some important pieces I think they need, in rough categories:

Brand-builders:
    -Bring back the XTerra (or, preferably, bring the Patrol nameplate to the US market) and make it a un-apologetic and hyped-up Jeep/Bronco competitor. Make it a real bruiser in the same way the R35 is. This segment is both hot as hell and highly visible right now. Even if they didn't sell a bunch, each sale would be rolling advertisement for the brand. It would have to be completely emblematic of Nissan. This would be priority #1 with a suitable amount of design, engineering, AND MARKETING resources thrown at it. Get it on the cover of all the overlanding mags.
    -Bring back the Hardbody (and call it that) as a characterful compact pickup. There are zero options for this segment currently, and I think a smaller truck could really be popular. Even midsize trucks are getting pricey and too big. As with the Xterra, it should go with a tougher, more masculine style to differentiate itself from the rather soft looking trucks in the midsize segment. Maybe even use the Leaf's tech to give it an electric option. I would definitely be interested in something along these lines. I believe they actually could sell a lot of these.
    -Actually build the idX, but give it a better name. (Bluebird? Silvia?) . As with the hypothetical XTerra, this wouldn't likely be a huge seller (look at the 86) but it could be the perfect vessel to package drooling praise from enthusiasts and automotive journalists. It would get people talking about Nissan with passion. When's the last time that happened....probably when the R35 was released. The idX was a huge, huge emotional swell for Nissan when they unveiled the concept, and if anything has grown even more contemporary with all of the 80s obsession lately.
    -R36 GT-R. I trust Nissan would get this right. It should probably be a hybrid. Nobody makes anything like it, and it really gives Nissan a flagship to build its brand around.
    -Maxima + Z (and kill Infiniti). This is a big one. The Maxima and next-gen Z should get the same platform, and the Maxima should basically replace the Q50 while Infiniti is wound down. The brand is doing nothing and, I would argue, edging towards functional extinction. The Maxima would have to be a hyped up return to form and they should be marketed always together. A pair for enthusiasts.
    -Gloria: Replace both the Q70 and the QX60 with this.

With those 6 establishing a re-invigorated, visible, and actually serious Nissan brand, the rest of the lineup could start to look more appealing. Volume sellers:

-Update Rouge leaning on the design of the more niche Xterra/Harbody trucks for street/dirt-cred. This is a big seller for Nissan now, but I think that's probably more to do with its value.
    -Update Frontier - I'm not sure if it would be wise for Nissan to really chase this segment as its highly competitive now. They should have an offering, but I don't think it needs to be #1.
    -Actually market the leaf properly. It seems pretty good, but I never see it promoted. The new one even looks ok. Get it out there Nissan!
    -Update Sentra - but make it good. Maybe have a hot version. (Alternate: Replace with idx? Offer Sedan, Coupe and Wagon bodies like the original 510?)
    -Update Titan - It's a good truck but it looks terrible. Should be more tough looking, not melted.
    -Replace the Q70 & QX60 with a single large, Nissan branded premium SUV, call it the Gloria.
    -Keep: Kicks and whatever other CUVs + vans they have. Do these really need investment? Idk. It doesn't seem to matter if they are good or not. Does anyone care if they are good? Maybe I'm too cynical about this segment.
    -Kill: Altima + Versa. These two models have really pulled the rug out from Nissan, IMO. They just yell "cheap" and "rental" so loudly that I associate the entire Nissan brand with those attributes.

Generally, I feel Nissan should pair down it's offerings and go for a kind of brawny-tech "spirit of Godzilla" character.

What do I know. Who else has suggestions?

2. The_Red_Devil

The_Red_Devil

If Nissan are failing in US , I will just make a RWD GTR with a 600 hp V8.

3. Danoff

Danoff Premium

Probably the Nissan lineup is just not clear enough. Infiniti is clear, but the Nissan models are a mess right now.

GT-R, Sentra, Leaf, Altima, Maxima, Frontier, Pathfinder, Juke, Murano, Versa, Rogue???

This is absurd, how can consumers remember this? I would change the lineup to be QR, Qtra, Qf, Qtima, Qxima, Qtier, Qfinder, Quke, Qrano, Qsa, etc. That should boost sales.

4. Tornado

Tornado

I suppose the biggest question is, are you Japanese in this hypothetical? Because I don't want to be indefinitely detained without trial in various Japanese prisons.

5. Beeblebrox237

Beeblebrox237 Premium

At least in the US, Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan. Poor quality and reliability, and they most often get bought by people with bad credit and no money because they can get them for cheap. They don't tend to attract buyers who want something high quality and reliable (partly due to the CVT issues) and they no longer attract enthusiast buyers very much. As much as enthusiasts want to be catered to, they need to be able to compete in the highly competitive consumer market in the most popular segments. Small, midsize, and fullsize cars and small, midsize, and large SUVs. As far as I can tell none of their offerings in those segments are especially competitive which is most likely their biggest problem.

6. Volksauto

Volksauto

7. stonesfan129

stonesfan129

Nissan needs to do like Toyota and Honda, and actually make reliable designs that will last a long time.

8. GTV0819

GTV0819

You forgot to include the Titan and the Armada in the lineup.

Some of the current models they have in the US, like the Frontier, actually has a newer model that is already being offered in other regions, mostly in Asia. It makes me wonder why they still haven't considered into bringing it there since that truck in that guise has already existed for more than a decade, I suppose.

9. Danoff

Danoff Premium

Qtan, Qmada.

Edit:

Just to keep people on their toes, we're gonna keep the Nissan Kicks name. Everything else in the Nissan and Infiniti lineup get a Q, and the Kicks is just the Kicks. No Q.

10. Joey D

Joey D Contributing Writer

I think Nissan could start by not offering cars that haven't had any significant design improvements in over 10 years. I mean for some reason they still make the Frontier and have it on a platform that first came out in 2004. Other models are aging poorly too including the Z car and the GT-R. At least the Sentra and Altima are still pretty new despite that hardly anyone buys sedans anymore.

Really out of the whole Nissan lineup the only thing that's really any interest to me is the Leaf. The GT-R was incredibly impressive when it first launched, but now it's kind of an old hat.

11. Eunos_Cosmo

Eunos_Cosmo

Maybe the Versa can be renamed the QAnon?

Snikle likes this.
  12. stonesfan129

stonesfan129

All I can say about Nissan is that they don't make em like they used to.

13. Fastcarguy

Fastcarguy Premium

The biggest problem I have with Nissan is their dated interiors on some models. The 370Z has not really changed since it launched.

2009 interior:
    Nissan-370Z-2009-1280-31.jpg
    2019 interior:
    Nissan-370Z_Heritage_Edition-2019-1280-1b.jpg
    Quite frankly, to go 10 years and only put a nicer screen in the middle is unacceptable.

GranTurNismo and CLowndes888 like this.
  14. GTV0819

GTV0819

Does the last MY Infiniti G37 coupe give the same impression? :idea:

15. Giygas

Giygas

How do you guys feel about that Z-crossover idea that popped up a couple years ago?

16. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

That's absolutely disgusting for a 2019 interior. No wonder why their doing soo poorly.