• Thread starter Sharky.
  • 17 comments

Sharky.

MX-5 gang
Premium
New Zealand
Christchurch
To give it its full title. :P

It's a 100% free fully functional flight simulator (well, you probably guessed what it was already :lol: )

Features dogfights, "missions", and just casual flying. Program comes with a large array of planes from F18s to 747s to Lancasters :dopey: But they're not all the planes you can get, because the game is extremely moddable (in a way) - you can create your own maps and planes with the right programs :D
(heck, you can "make" your own planes with nothing more than Notepad! :sly: )

Lots of mod packs available on the net featuring different weapon models, extra planes (and tanks, cars, firetrucks etc... you get the picture :P)

Also features network play as well, for those who like shooting down their mates :P

(screenshots are from DirectX (Direct3D) version - game comes with CPU rendered, DirectX and OpenGL versions of the executables)

Plane selection screen, showing the F14 I fiddled with (mainly regarding armament :dopey: )

Spitfire in Hawaii :D

Aforementioned F14 in a dogfight, firing off some AAMs (plane has afterburners lit)

Download here: Windows Linux (9.67MB)
Packs I highly recommend you download as well: aircraft (16722K) maps (1952K)

If you create a new plane (either just modifying an original plane's data file or creating a new one from scratch), do share. :P (I made a Viggen that does something like Mach 20 - point the nose to the sky, and light the 'burners :lol: )

(if this is better suited to PC Gaming I'll move it)

I've been looking for a flight simulator in which I can design my own maps and/or planes. Thanks for the info!👍

EDIT: From the screen shots it looks like the graphics aren't that good. O well, I'm not the kind of guy who only enjoys high graphic level games!

EDIT#2: What's the difference between the 3 versions? Does one have better graphics and performance than the others?

EDIT: From the screen shots it looks like the graphics aren't that good. O well, I'm not the kind of guy who only enjoys high graphic level games!
Graphics are probably on par with PS2 if you run the OpenGL version.

EDIT#2: What's the difference between the 3 versions? Does one have better graphics and performance than the others?
1: CPU Rendered (non-DirectX): will run on virtually any computer, downside is graphics suffer as a result

2: Direct3D (DirectX): graphics are a lot better than the non-DX version.

3: OpenGL: graphics even better than the DX version. Also features fog (visibility down to 0.5 mile, up to 12.5 miles :sly: )

If your computer can run it, always use the OpenGL version. ;)It'll run on pretty much all computers made within the last three-five years, provided they've got a nice amount of RAM (I have 128, and it runs, but not all the time. 256 recommended. :P).

There's a Star Wars "pack" (a mini-pack, actually) that features a Star Destroyer, the Millennium Falcon, a Y-wing and the fabled X-wing :dopey: I'll attach it here if anybody wants it.

For plane/map making, download the attached zips (I think they're all there - plane-making tutorial is included).
GepolyX/O is for doing the actual creating, DNMViewer is for seeing what your assembled plane looks like, Surfview for viewing the individual parts of the plane model. Very complicated to actually create planes, but you could make a flying carpet without too much trouble.

You also need http://cielab3.me.cmu.edu/~soji/download/winutil2.zip - can't upload it here as it's above the size limit for attachments :|

Attachments

• winutil1.zip
    779.3 KB · Views: 153
  • dnmviewer.zip
    454.2 KB · Views: 130
  • gepoly.zip
    412.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Ysflight Aircraft Making Tutorial.zip
    193.7 KB · Views: 157
I like it, pretty fun. It does have a wide variety of aircraft including some helicopters. My favoret it the Apache. It's fun to fly around in it, unfortunately I'm not that good with helicopters yet. I would recommend downloading it.👍 Good find Sharky.

BTW the aircraft creator thing is VERY VERY VERY complicated for small minded people like me.

BTW the aircraft creator thing is VERY VERY VERY complicated for small minded people like me.
I'd say unless you have a degree in 3D modelling you probably won't manage to make complicated planes and stuff. :dopey:

But, it is still possible to "make" your own vehicles from existing planes/choppers etc, and all you need is Notepad! :sly:

Go into the aircraft directory and open one of the .dat files. No degree necessary to know how to "tweak" the plane attributes :lol:

Could you possibly upload the "angels" file as an attachment? I modded it to try and make my Blue Angels go Mach 40 but forgot to make a backup.:dopey::scared:👍

I just need the file named "angels" but without the quotes.

Always back up your DAT files! :lol:

Just paste this over everything currently in the file. ;)
Code:
IDENTIFY "F-18C_BLUEANGELS"
AFTBURNR TRUE                 #HAVE AFTERBURNER?
CATEGORY AEROBATIC
THRAFTBN 14.5t                #THRUST WITH AFTERBURNER
THRMILIT  9.0t                #THRUST AT MILITARY POWER
WEIGHCLN  6.0t                #WEIGHT CLEAN
WEIGFUEL  3.0t                #WEIGHT OF FUEL
WEIGLOAD  6.0t                #WEIGHT OF PAYLOAD
FUELABRN 6.5kg                #FUEL CONSUMPTION WHEN USING AFTERBURNER
FUELMILI 0.45kg               #FUEL CONSUMPTION AT MILITARY POWER

COCKPITP  0.0m  1.4m   3.70m  #COCKPIT POSITION
LEFTGEAR -1.3m -1.55m -3.20m  #LEFT LANDING GEAR POSITION
RIGHGEAR  1.3m -1.55m -3.20m  #RIGHT LANDING GEAR POSITION
WHELGEAR  0.0m -1.55m  2.85m  #WHEEL POSITION
ARRESTER  0.0m -1.34m -7.98m
MACHNGUN  1.8m  0.63m  1.46m  #MACHINE GUN POSITION
GUNINTVL 0.04
SMOKEGEN -0.3m -0.35m -7.75m  #SMOKE GENERATOR POSITION
VAPORPO0  5.7m  0.15m -4.40m  #VAPOR POSITION (Wings Swept Back or no-VGW)
VAPORPO1  5.7m  0.15m -4.40m  #VAPOR POSITION (Wings Spread)
HTRADIUS 10.0m                #OUTSIDE SPHERE RADIUS

SMOKEOIL 100.0kg
WEAPONCH SMK

STRENGTH 10

CRITAOAP  22deg               #CRITICAL AOA POSITIVE
CRITAOAM -15deg               #CRITICAL AOA NEGATIVE

CRITSPED 0.9MACH              #CRITICAL SPEED
MAXSPEED 2.0MACH              #MAXIMUM SPEED

HASSPOIL TRUE                 #HAS SPOILER?
RETRGEAR TRUE                 #HAS RETRACTABLE LANDING GEAR?
VARGEOMW FALSE                #HAS VARIABLE GEOMETRY WING?

CLVARGEO 0.0                  #EFFECT OF VARIABLE GEOMETRY WING FOR Cl
CDVARGEO 0.0                  #EFFECT OF VARIABLE GEOMETRY WING FOR Cd
CLBYFLAP 0.1                  #EFFECT OF FLAP FOR Cl
CDBYFLAP 0.2                  #EFFECT OF FLAP FOR Cd
CDBYGEAR 0.5                  #EFFECT OF GEAR FOR Cd
CDSPOILR 2.0                  #EFFECT OF SPOILER FOR Cd

WINGAREA 28m^2                #WING AREA

MXIPTAOA 23.0deg              #MAX INPUT AOA
MXIPTSSA 5.0deg               #MAX INPUT SSA
MXIPTROL 360.0deg             #MAX INPUT ROLL

REM CPITMANE corresponds to Spring Constant K
REM CPITSTAB corresponds to Damper Constant B
REM To be critically damped, B=2*sqrt(K)
REM 2% Settling Time=??

MANESPD1 40kt                 #MINIMUM MANEUVABLE SPEED
MANESPD2 80kt                 #FULLY MANEUVABLE SPEED
CPITMANE 10.0                 #PITCH MANEUVERBILITY CONSTANT
CPITSTAB 2.0                  #PITCH STABILITY CONSTANT
CYAWMANE 5.0                  #YAW MANEUVABILITY CONSTANT
CYAWSTAB 3.0                  #YAW STABILITY CONSTANT
CROLLMAN 3.0                  #ROLL MANEUVABILITY CONSTANT

CTLLDGEA TRUE                 #CONTROL LANDINGGEAR
CTLBRAKE FALSE                #CONTROL BRAKE
CTLSPOIL 0.0                  #CONTROL SPOILER
CTLABRNR FALSE                #CONTROL AFTERBURNER
CTLTHROT 0.0                  #CONTROL THRUST
CTLIFLAP 0.0                  #CONTROL FLAP
CTLINVGW 0.0                  #CONTROL VARIABLE GEOMETRY WING
CTLATVGW FALSE                #CONTROL AUTO VARIABLE GEOMETRY WING

POSITION 0m 3ft 0m           #POSITION
ATTITUDE 45deg 0deg 0deg      #ATTITUDE
INITFUEL 75%                  #INITIAL FUEL
INITLOAD 0.0t                 #INITIAL PAYLOAD
INITSPED 0.0MACH              #INITIAL SPEED

HRDPOINT 5.8m 0.12m -3.0m AIM9 AIM120
HRDPOINT -5.8m 0.12m -3.0m AIM9 AIM120
HRDPOINT 4.36m -0.44m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65
HRDPOINT -4.36m -0.44m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65
HRDPOINT 4.66m -0.12m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65
HRDPOINT -4.66m -0.12m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65
HRDPOINT 4.08m -0.12m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65
HRDPOINT -4.08m -0.12m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65
HRDPOINT 2.47m -0.40m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65 B250 B500
HRDPOINT -2.47m -0.40m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65 B250 B500
HRDPOINT 2.85m -0.03m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65 B250
HRDPOINT -2.85m -0.03m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65 B250
HRDPOINT 2.1m -0.03m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65 B250
HRDPOINT -2.1m -0.03m -2.0m AIM9 AGM65 B250
HRDPOINT 5.2m -0.02m -2.3m RKT
HRDPOINT -5.2m -0.02m -2.3m RKT
MAXNMRKT 38
LMTBYHDP TRUE
INITIGUN 3000                 #INITIAL GUN
LOADWEPN AIM9 2

REM ClZero,CdZero is fixed by Cruising condition
REFVCRUS 0.9MACH              #CRUISING SPEED
REFACRUS 20000ft              #CRUISING ALTITUDE
REFTCRUS 0.8                  #CRUISING THROTTLE SETTING

REM ClSlope,CdConst is fixed by Landing condition
REFVLAND 100kt                #LANDING SPEED
REFAOALD 10deg                 #LANDING AOA
REFLNRWY 2000m                #RUNWAY REQUIRED TO STOP
REFTHRLD 0.3                 #LANDING THROTTLE SETTING

AUTOCALC

Also, when you modify a plane, to get it to show up in YS you have to do two things:
1) change the IDENTIFY tag to something else, as you can't have two planes with exactly the same identifier (eg change IDENTIFY "F-18C_BLUEANGELS" to IDENTIFY "whatever")
2) add the "new" plane to the aircraft.lst file (make a backup copy first) - find the line that identifies the original plane you were modding, copy it, paste it at the top of the file (so your plane will show up earlier in the program! ;)) and change the /[plane name].dat to whatever the filename of the modified DAT file is. (assuming you're keeping the original as it was)

what is a website where i can get Add-Ons and i saw a video on Utube of a NASA Shuttle for YS and i have been looking every where for add-ons.
thanks
TaggG BakkK

Go and check out on youtube T-A (tactical assasins) and if you want to join the formation squadron flick me a notice and ill give you a try out in a blue angels in hawaii!

Okay i started it but didnt fly till now because i want to try it with a controller i dont have hooked up right now. Graphics are not on PS2 niveau, more like PS1 with AA and a higher resolution. The plane selection is great and for a freeware program it seems to be very well developed. One thing i absolutely love is that i can change the window size how i want (like in Live for Speed btw.). I have a 24" monitor and with a full screen resolution my PC would make me problems, this way i can make a nice big window without changing the resolution, works great.

Really too bad the graphics are so bad, but its great to have a free game with so much content! Kudos to the developer.

Tried the OpenGL or Direct3D executables? They offer far superior visuals than the standard CPU-rendered executable :)

I used OpenGL from the beginning.
Some of the add-on planes are gorgeous made (except the cockpits but thats still cool), but the overall look is not that great.
Just for comparison how a PS2 flight game can look:

I played YS now a bit more and i still think its an awesome game.
One of the best freeware programs i have ever seen!

EDIT: Btw. a game like AC05 wouldnt run anymore on my PC, so i dont mind the toned down graphics. lol

Ummm, I'm fairly new to modding and such, and I would like to learn how to mod existing planes. If someone could give me some simple instructions, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks much.

Back