Zagato L147 SuperDiablo 1998

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 6 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

StarLight Garage suggests automobile gems to be included in the Gran Turismo Series.
The Italian Zagato one-off, L147 SuperDiablo from 1998 should be one of them.
Zagato's design is very vanguard and it's a pity that's this never has be taken into production.
Enjoy!

2ew2q20.jpg

Back in the late 1990s, when Lamborghini were starting to realise they needed a replacement for the ageing Diablo, they started reviewing design proposals from various automotive design firms. Zagato’s offering was the Zagato L147 SuperDiablo, or as it was to be later known, the Lamborghini Canto.

The Lamborghini Canto first appeared in 1998, it arrived only two years after another Zagato designed Lamborghini concept had been unveiled, the Diablo-based Raptor. The cars shared a number of similar features, including the wraparound windows, triangular lateral air intakes, and trademark double-bubble roof.

But Ferdinand Piech – head of the Volkswagen Group – thought that the Raptor the better looking car was. After VW bought Lamborghini in 1999, one of his first decisions was to review the Canto’s development and redesign the concept. The car was re-engineered and the rear extensively restyled to include smaller air intakes. The engine was also upgraded thanks to a new ECU which boosted output of the 6.0 litre V12 to 640 horsepower – although it was actually detuned to 610 hp to improve reliability.

After the alterations to the design, Lamborghini announced later in 1999 that the Canto was headed for production in 2001, and during this time the Diablo would remain the flagship model for the company. The Canto was extensively tested through the late ’90s and early 2000s, with test mules spotted lapping the Nardo test track.

But as we all know now, the car that actually appeared in 2001 wasn’t the Canto at all. It was the Murcielago. The first Lamborghini developed under VW/Audi ownership, the first truly modern Lamborghini, and the car that set the company on the path of success which it still enjoys to this day.

Thankfully however, the Lamborghini Canto prototype still exists, and is on display at the Lamborghini factory showroom in Sant’Agata Bolognese, Italy.

29xykxz.jpg

2chnr10.jpg

2w5unid.jpg

30sakqv.jpg

v3j34m.jpg

211uh08.jpg

THE OTHER LAMBORGHINIS ARE HERE

THE LAMBORGHINI TRACTOR IS HERE

Last edited:
................I remember seeing a heavily disguised prototype of this car pounding the VW proving ground way back in 1997. Don't ask me how I saw it, 'cuz I can't tell you!
Even then I thought it looked a little off. Glad we ended up with a Mucielago instead. Because it graced Batman Begins with its presence...

Edit: blame my bad memories it was 1999 not 1997....

Last edited:
First time i've seen this car.
I am a fan of the Diablo, and this one looks as much as amazing as the original!

Back