Zombies! Pick a Car for the Apocalypse

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 342 comments
McLaren F1 GTR

Even with all your massive trucks full of supplies, you'll run out eventually and the zombies will get you then.

I'd rather spend my last few days having fun, plus the car will probably kill me before the zombies get to me. Which is fine, I'll go through the pearly gates at 200mph on fire instead of being eaten alive.
Bah! There's no way I could go in peace being killed my mindless creatures. I think Zombieland is pretty much the perfect zombie survival movie. Follow rules, keep moving, pack light, take supplies when you can, meet hot sexy girl. Sounds like a plan to me.

Hmmmm

big-play-motor.jpg

I'd have to go for an armored Humvee for scouting work and some sort of rig from the 1970s or so.

Then I'd need to find some welding equipment and some steel mesh to weld over the windows on the rig to keep it safe-ish. May as well add a plow and perhaps some sort of flamethrower set up to use anything flammable. Use the trailer to carry masses of supplies with me and eventually hole up in some sort of underground shelter with a greenhouse above. (Mind you the greenhouse would need to then be surrounded with electrified fencing and that would need power)

Ugh. I dunno lol.

McLaren F1 GTR

Even with all your massive trucks full of supplies, you'll run out eventually and the zombies will get you then.

I'd rather spend my last few days having fun, plus the car will probably kill me before the zombies get to me. Which is fine, I'll go through the pearly gates at 200mph on fire instead of being eaten alive.

I like the way you think, just replace the McLaren with a hand-tuned Evo 7 that can hit 200 into a wall when the zombies show up.

2010-ford-svt-f-150-raptor2.jpg

Ill take one of those
fast for its size, big but not too big so that it's unpractical, tall, good driving position, EPA of 14/18 i think, and my neighbor has one so it's accessible

Yes, I'm pulling out the Patrol card again...

GQ Patrol with the 4.2 Diesel, long range fuel tank, mud tyres (You never know when you might have to make a river crossing in the apocalypse. And they just look bad-***), 12,000lb. winch (in case you see another survivor stuck in mud, in which case you can either pull them out or, if you're stuck as well, pull yourself out and leave them for dead to be eaten by zombies), bull bar (the staple for any zombie massacre), and, well because it's me we're talking about here, a fully revamped stereo with 3 12" subs in the back along with RF speakers and an Eclipse head-unit with GPS. Well hey, if all else fails I'll just turn on Twisted Transistor by KoRn and start an earthquake with all the bass.

AmphiMiata1.jpg

For some reason this was the first thing I thought of. I'll pick something more logical later.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of zombie flicks, so I've given a thought or two or three on this before. Thanks for posting the Resident Evil Extinction school bus, too. Danoff, you should do the zombie shelter thread, next. That will be fun. If you don't want to, let me know. I'll make one up. :D

My choice of a realistic zombie apocalypse vehicle:
3582254197f3456d5456.jpg

Edit: If you aren't familiar with these trucks, they are used by the banks to transport the $$$. They are bullet-resistant.

Last edited:
If the Libertania compound is way out in the boonies, I'll go with the North American version of the Unimog: I'll take a bobber deuce-and-a-half. Low speed (50 mph) but great off-road, lotsa cargo capacity, incredible pulling power, diesel, will run for-damn-ever. Add the snorkel kit and it will wade through 4'-5' of water. I'd built a lightly armored living unit / gun emplacement in the box.

attachment.php

This thing will eat that pretty-boy F650 for breakfast and crap out a pile of shiny junk.

If there's a zombie apocalypse, I'm grabbing a giant Peterbilt trailer truck and commandeering either a cruise ship or a nuclear warship. The truck gets loaded on board and is only used to go out for supply missions. The ship will be anchored just off shore, nearby all the port diesel and utilities.

peterbilt.jpg

If the Libertania compound is way out in the boonies, I'll go with the North American version of the Unimog: I'll take a bobber deuce-and-a-half. Low speed (50 mph) but great off-road, lotsa cargo capacity, incredible pulling power, diesel, will run for-damn-ever. Add the snorkel kit and it will wade through 4'-5' of water. I'd built a lightly armored living unit / gun emplacement in the box.

attachment.php

This thing will eat that pretty-boy F650 for breakfast and crap out a pile of shiny junk.
What is that thing? Don't get me wrong, the truck looks awesome. I googled "bobber", but all I found was wicked looking chopper bikes. :P

I think I'd take my car except with death spikes on the pushbar hehe.

This thing would be the shiz though.
Zil Screw Drive prototype. Wonder if there's any still kicking around.

attachment.php

While you're escaping your zombies @ 50mph we in our F650's will be cruising at over 85mph. The F-series super duty isn't exactly a "pretty boy" either. I like that truck but would prefer the F650 for speed, comfort and more speed. Plus I bet it will weigh less and be more agile while escaping (albeit not by a large margin since we are talking huge trucks here).

Apocalypse car? Heavily modified midsized truck, like an F-150. Probably early 90s, late 80s, with a canopy that's heavily armored, in fact, the whole car's heavily armored, with a v-shaped underbody to deflect blasts, widened track with wider tires, upgraded suspension, strengthened drivetrain, and reinforced chassis. Under the hood is a nice diesel V-8 that makes around 600 ft.lbs of torque, and hopefully around 300 hp. In the canopy would be an extended range fuel tank, along with some living commodities, like a mattress and some blankets for extended trips. It would all be painted matte black, and I'd drive it everywhere with a reasonably sized gun.

So, yeah.

What is that thing? Don't get me wrong, the truck looks awesome. I googled "bobber", but all I found was wicked looking chopper bikes. :P

It's a military 2.5-ton truck with the second half of the tandem rear axle removed and the rear of the frame and cargo box shortened.

m35-deuce-and-a-half-500x375.jpg

I'd build a solid-walled living space in the back instead of the canvas frame.

53 posts in and no mention of Dead Reckoning?

Well, I'LL be safe.

DeadReckoning.jpg

dead_reckoning_1.jpg

2e3d7kp.jpg

[/thread]

On a serious note.

Talon Riot Van, made famous by Top Gear.

iye71h.jpg

Last edited:
If it's good enough for Polar Bears it's good enough for zombies.

Replace the interior with that from a decent sized Winnebago and you're sorted. It's even got a decent shooting platform on the back too 👍

Good call on the diesel. I hadn't considered to check its shelf-life against gasoline, but it looks like diesel lasts a hell of a lot longer. Wouldn't be too-hard to find vehicles to siphon it from either given that all the large trucks would have tons of diesel and wouldn't have to be located in zombie-center cities. 👍
Also, diesel can be found on farms in rural areas, which is likely where you would rather be as lower populations = fewer zombies nearby. I can see my uncle's diesel tanks from his house. Even has a service station style gas pump on the side. This gives you a fuel supply option in or near your compound in an area that will allow you to become self sufficient and likely supply you until you can create your own biodiesel.

As for me: I am going to take this overly serious. I fortunately live very close to two Ford plants, the Ford Assembly Plant and the Ford Truck Plant. With that in mind I will likely take something made in one of those so that I have nearby access to parts or extra vehicles (they have acres of trucks just sitting around).

5OD%20KING%20RANCH.JPG

With that in mind I would likely start out with a Ford Expedition King Ranch EL. It is flex fuel gasoline, but primarily temporary for when I am first grabbing supplies and getting myself setup. But hopefully the flex fuel will mean that any drained stations will still have E85. Plus, ethanol is fairly easy to find in the more rural stations in my area. It has third row seating, which means that I can pick up a group of survivors if I need to and it can come with 4-wheel drive and and a heavy duty towing package (I'm picking it from the factory floor, right?).

ford.f450.340.jpg

Once my primary running is done and the odds of picking up survivors is greatly reduced I am definitely grabbing one of the Ford Super Duty trucks for the diesel work horse. I am thinking I will go with the F-450.

And if this occurs after this year and at any point I find that I need something a bit more nimble on the highways than either of these big things can handle I might run by the Ford Assembly Plant and grab the Kuga, which they are retrofitting to make this year for Europe. It's a crossover that uses diesel.
0709_2_z+2008_ford_kuga+right_front_view.jpg

If we're going with movie cars, then I pick the Damnation Alley Landmaster:

d%20alley%204.jpg

Damnation_Alley_Landmaster.jpg

1.jpg

Back