Zonas Golf! My 1995 VW Golf 1.4

• Thread starter Zona
  • 92 comments
I'm not really a fan of the Borbet or ATS style alloys. I really love the BBS style rims. Currently in the UK it seems every mk3 golf is running bbs reps or 3sdm 0.05s

Well don't go with something just because a lot of others have made it into a trend, go with what you want, because it's your car, so your opinion is all that matters.

I agree with the above. Personally I find BBS wheels to be so common on the VW scene that I've gotten sick of 'em. I still like the Borbet wheels and absolutely love the ATS, although I can definitely understand not being a fan of them, especially the Borbets, not a ton of people like them. But obviously, your car, your money, your decision.

Thanks All :) Installed my first couple of mods today.

Team Heko wind deflectors:

ZVGHHb7.jpg

Super easy to fit.

Also installed my White over Reds:

Before:

wFj4xKA.jpg

(forgot to take a pic so this old one will suffice)

During:
agbqJyX.jpg

nsv5Aiq.jpg

After:
h6l2eyO.jpg

I'm not really a fan of the Borbet or ATS style alloys. I really love the BBS style rims. Currently in the UK it seems every mk3 golf is running bbs reps or 3sdm 0.05s

I always thought bbs wheels looked better on a mk1 or mk2 ,still they are super sexy so if you get them im sure theyll look great 👍

Back with some small updates.

Bought some new door speakers, just waiting for my headunit to arrive and those will be installed when I find the time.

Any photoshop gurus here? As I have a request for my car:

RlSSBsf.jpg

TVwrZxj.jpg
(rear view for exhaust)

Lowered.
Bullet one Wheels 15"x7 all round.
Manga bombed fender ala budget street cred.
Flying Tiger Decals.(as made famous by the P40's in the Pacific WW2 campaign).
Tinted windows (jdm style tint).
Roof rack (like on those beetles).
Bozoku Style Exhaust kinda like this, but a bit shorter:
bosozoku_socal_civic_ed3_024.jpg

BULLET-60-15x7-2.jpg
(are the wheels)

vw1.jpg
(example of roof rack)

I like all of your plans minus the exhaust tip style and stickers. I don't get how that's attractive. It is your car though, so don't listen to me. Looks good as of now, though.

Last edited:
Goodness gracious.. I hope you aren't seriously considering sticker bombing and shoving those stupid exhausts on such a near new car..

Definitely needs to be lowered a bit and needs some slightly bigger wheels (16's maybe?) a slight tint wouldn't be too bad and I have no shame in admitting I adore roof racks but I'd go for non permanent ones rather than bolt ons.

If you want to improve your "Street cred" (Seriously?) try getting paint matched bumpers (OEM or aftermarket) or paint what you have.

I mean.. do what you want it's your car but... seriously you have such a pristine car why would you go out of your way to ruin it?

^^ this
it's still your car though so if you actually do these mods i'd love to see the outcome and then ill post it in the questionable modifications thread xD

I mean I love hotrodded* cars, but damn we've seen sticker bombed cars with roof racks, tacky mods, fake rust and wheels.. It was cool in 2006...

All the cars going down that route turns into **** boxes real quick.. That EF is dope, strictly because of the THs, nothing else..

* hotrodded in the true (50s, 60s) sense of the word, low and menacing, run what cha brung, go-faster parts or big-motor swaps, flat paint if ya can't afford a paint that pops.. Your wrote you got a clean car, don't mess it up..

OldManYellsAtCloud.jpg

OldManYellsAtCloud.jpg

Last edited:
It's the eternal struggle with VWs. There are so many about that literally every style is played out. Stanced? Been done. Rat-look? Done. Slammed? Done. Euro-look? Done. German-look? Done. Race-style? Done. Clean'n'simple? Done. GTI-rep? Done. Stickerbombed? Done. JDM-style? Done. Smoothed? Done. Mad bodykits? Done. I'm not saying I don't like some of the above, but there's little room for originality.

In fact, if there's something rare in the VW scene it's a completely standard, unmolested car. It's the way I'd have gone with this one - perhaps just detailed it and maybe, maybe gone with a set of wheels and some lows. But even then, I quite like the stock steelies since you so rarely see standard ones any more. Maybe a wire-tuck under the bonnet. And a good check-around to see if everything is as it should be. It'd be one of the nicest Golfs on the road and barely a penny would be spent.

So many ideas but I dunno what to do :(

Also here's a more recent pic of my ride.

Q4eQxml.jpg

For now, I'm thinking lowered on springs and shocks (eibach/bilstein) on Rota GT3 wheels.

Or save your money and wait till you can buy/insure a more 'enthusiast car' you can have plenty of fun in a FWD hatch until you're a bit older and your insure premiums have gone down.

For now, I'm thinking lowered on springs and shocks (eibach/bilstein) on Rota GT3 wheels.
After further thought I reckon that if you're modifying something already so clean then the OEM+ approach would probably be best. Get on ebay and look for original upgrades and the like, just small things to improve the car without going overboard.

And on the subject of wheels, if you extended OEM+ to include "rest of VAG" then a set of old Audi A3 alloys would work quite well, I reckon:

SNV35845.jpg

They almost have the look of Mk2 steelies, but they're a bit bigger and a bit more sophisticated. They'd contrast your unpainted bumpers quite nicely, I reckon.

Interior is tricky because yours is in such nice condition. And it has an airbag, which frankly I'd want to keep, so there's no suitable steering wheel swap like there might be with a non-bagged wheel.

I know the temptation to modify your first car is really, really strong, but as Clark says the sensible option may be to save your dosh a little, not faff around with a perfectly good car, and spend it on something else at a later date. If you really do like all the options available to you with the Mk3 Golf, GTIs will still be plentiful in a few years time and you could save a little more and really splash out on a VR6.

Been a while since I've been here so I'd thought I'd post some updates:
(pic heavy)

Gave her some lows with an eibach sportline lowering spring kit, I should have bought coilovers as I'm not happy with the ride height at the back.

I actually have some updates for this post. So my springs arrived last week, and I had today off work so my Dad and I got round to installing my Eibach Sportlines. I also got some MCM (MightyCarMods) stickers in the post and put them on.

Here's some pictures:

BrPYRS5.jpg

I64nIw2.jpg

0R9XLhg.jpg

jSpfvHE.jpg

nfg9veO.jpg

y8J2YUL.jpg

New wheels arrived:

Wheels are Enkei 92's in 15x7 et38 4x100 wrapped in Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun 195/50 R15.

cPtVUDG.jpg

qNpO0th.jpg

Fitted:

bqL0HxG.jpg

I took it to a local shop in Tewkesbury to get a full wheel alignment in and they were impressed with the low mileage! (was on 21k, when I took it in).

Put some GTI headlights on my golf cause a stone hit my original ones and caused a big crack in the drivers side :(

YY8eChu.jpg

Also fitted an OMP Upper Rear Strut brace:

M9WMkSX.jpg

FYi6avy.jpg

Next plans are some color coded bumpers and a trip to the bodyshop to fix the paint issues and dents.

Get one :P You can get decent ones for a grand.

I just tried getting an insurance quote for one and the cheapest I could get was £9,485 - and that's with a black box! Without it's £12,811. Maybe not then. :scared:

I just tried getting an insurance quote for one and the cheapest I could get was £9,485 - and that's with a black box! Without it's £12,811. Maybe not then. :scared:
What model is that for? If for a VR6 or GTI then thats crazy. My insurance is £1600 and its a 1.4. Im 21 passed my test in December and did my pass+ in march this year so my renewal will be around £1300 in November.

What model is that for? If for a VR6 or GTI then thats crazy. My insurance is £1600 and its a 1.4. Im 21 passed my test in December and did my pass+ in march this year so my renewal will be around £1300 in November.

That's for a '97 1.4 :indiff:. I did the quote as if I was a 17 year-old new driver, so maybe that has something to do with it.

That's for a '97 1.4 :indiff:. I did the quote as if I was a 17 year-old new driver, so maybe that has something to do with it.
It could be your postcode as well. Try adding your parents to the insurance quote.

Thanks all :)

Yeah the wheels are a bit of a pain to clean but it's worth it as they shine nicely when polished and everything.

So I want to go lower and was wondering what peoples opinions were on "eBay special" coilovers (Jom/Ta-Technix/FK) only reason I'm looking at these options is cause i only work 14 hours a week on minimum age and can't afford to save for big name coilovers as i still gotta save for insurance and petrol.

If you're buying them only for looks, I should think it won't be a problem. But don't buy them expecting your car to magically ride and handle better (other than the default benefits of less body roll and a lower centre of gravity), since they probably aren't built to a specification that brings in any tangible benefits.

In other words, if you're not making a lot of money you're better off sticking with your lowered springs for now, either until you can afford some better coilovers, or in lieu of buying cheap eBay ones. And without re-covering a topic that has been covered many times on GTP, you'd be better saving your dosh for your next car if you're really chasing any benefits in looks/performance.

I've found a set of lowering springs and shocks that lower my golf 60mm all round (which was the height i wanted originally). They're made by a company called Vogtland and cost £245 inc vat+shipping. The company seems to have quite the history and they supply top nascar teams, from the reviews that I've read for various cars, they seem to be highly rated and provide the best bang for your buck. So I reckon I'll pick these up along with some eibach anti roll bars in september.

Latest Posts

Back