Zonda Cockpit Mirror (AND further problems)

• Thread starter Alan_G
  • 47 comments
Biggles, of course there's a follow-up. It's being made by Codemasters. But having the rights to Formula 1 is like having the rights to broadcast the Olympic games. You have it for a limited time and you're going to pay BIG money for it. If I remember, Studio Liverpool was commissioned by Sony to develop the F1 game. Sony had the rights for a certain period of time and was able to keep the game alive and the online servers running (at least outside of the NTSC market) for several years. the Wii version of F1 is already out. The PS3 and Xbox360 versions will be out later this year.

The most annoying thing IMO, is no follow-up to Studio Liverpool's very creditable initial effort: F1CE. That's been a real missed opportunity for PS3 sim fans. And unlike FC/SCC/GRiD/Shift/SSV8 etc., F1CE served an obvious niche market that I could see being dedicated & loyal & generating good revenue regardless of the competition from Gran Turismo.

I agree, though I'm kind of hoping Codemasters change their recent ways and make a decent F1 2010, I'm rather skeptical.

At least Studio Liverpool has continued the quality with Wipeout HD 👍 But its not really the same thing. I wish they would make a new Destruction Derby though.

Biggles, of course there's a follow-up. It's being made by Codemasters. But having the rights to Formula 1 is like having the rights to broadcast the Olympic games. You have it for a limited time and you're going to pay BIG money for it. If I remember, Studio Liverpool was commissioned by Sony to develop the F1 game. Sony had the rights for a certain period of time and was able to keep the game alive and the online servers running (at least outside of the NTSC market) for several years. the Wii version of F1 is already out. The PS3 and Xbox360 versions will be out later this year.

I think he was referring to simulation racing games in general as the "niche market" not F1 specifically. FC, SCC, Prologue, etc have not really been of the same standard (well Prologue doesn't really count).

Yes. There is cockpit view. Infact, there ARE cockpit views, at least 2 like in SCC. Check 4:15 and then 5:00 in this video:

http://multiplayer.it/video/superst...allenge-imola-e-monza-e-portimao-gameplay.lo/

Funny, I can't see any cockpit view. Or do I have the wrong game?

[YOUTUBEhd]<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ou1fJ6CoRcI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ou1fJ6CoRcI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

I guess I do. But goodness, they look so similar though. However, I'm sure this one has fewer bugs. :)

No, I did mean F1 is a niche market - that is to say F1 racing has a particular appeal that is distinct from "cars" or "car racing" in general.

Passing on the license to another publisher/developer has meant no new F1 game for 3 (possibly more) years, which would seem like an missed opportunity for additional revenue for that DGB* at F1. Giving SL the chance to put out an updated & improved version of F1CE in 2007 & 2008, or at least paid-for DLC would seem to have made sense.

* disgusting, greedy bastard.

Ok... now I've seen it... and like it (the graphical aspect of the thing!)

I know already that Mario's hugest praises to this game (or the first of the series) is regarding the AI. More positive aspects?

And about those who seem not to like it? What's your reasons?

Question(s):

- From the replay seemed that there are no penalties (the guy drives several times of track on chicanes and hairpins) Is that so or there's a 'arcade mode' and a 'realistic mode'?

- Damage? Tire wear?

Arvore thanks for the link, I'll probably consider it to buy this when it comes out... If I decide to buy it. (By the way is there a official launch date?)

Thanks in advance

pros:

-AI
- Online (no lag; AI cars racing human players)
- Championship Mode
- Tyre wear
- Car setup

Cons:
a) Wheel specific
- center deadzone (G25, don't know about other wheels)
- game loses FFB randomly. Jeff suffers this very often, me rarely ...

b) general
- overall, you can tell this was a unpolished game
- no cockpit view (for those who use it)
- no rear view mirror
- physics, even in simulation mode, are less detailed and less informative. You even think it's easy to play until you start to understand that you are SECONDS off the pace against Hard or Legend AI (in Sim mode)

c) online-specific
- personal setup isn't carried to online. This is a major inconvenient for me because I use the brake balance heavily biased to the front, while the default car uses the opposite. When racing online, with tyre wear, my last laps are always scary, the car has a nasty tendency to block the rear wheels underbraking.
- public-lobbies only and no way of getting rid of morons
- poor headset sound in-lobby, it's difficult to understand what others are saying (at least this happened with me and frawe, never before or after I used my headset online.

PS - Yes, there's tyre wear and mechanical damage, although very litle of it is visually translated. Meaning, you give a big shunt in corner 1 you can have your race ruined (and the car undriveable), but the car looks almost like nothing happened.

Thanks Mario 👍

Is there any indication yet of what of those cons mentioned by you (if any) are going to be revised in this sequel?

Only thing you can tell from the videos is that there will be cockpit view in this one.

In the Console & PC gaming forum vompatti posted the link to a preview, but it's in german and google is a awful translator. What I get from it is that rubber will be added to the track during a race, changing the grip levels at least within the racing line. And there's something about a change of structure for the online mode. Also, I seem to understand the "previewer" complains about the pad controls (meaning, the preview was made using a pad).

http://www.gamingxp.com/bericht-3254-ps3-superstars_v8_next_challenge.htm

And about those who seem not to like it? What's your reasons?

Question(s):

- From the replay seemed that there are no penalties (the guy drives several times of track on chicanes and hairpins) Is that so or there's a 'arcade mode' and a 'realistic mode"

I wouldn't say i didn't like it i just say it was a little bit disapointing, i consider it a nice looking arcade with a fine selection of cars and tracks that is interesting to race offline until you master the legend difficulty of the A.I,that is really less stupid than the ones of most other racing games( the scc's is outrageous as we all know).
But once that is gone (took me 2 or 3 weeks) you will discover that the main flaws of this game are in online racing-did you thought shift was bad? so don't try this...- with people discovering shortcuts in every track(not only the obvious ones but scandalous ones like in portimao or vallelunga)-like the one they take in susuka in gt5p- and don't get pennalty or loosing significant time by driving throught the grass or sand... driving backwards, crossing cars(sometime two of them teaming up) in the track in the exit of blind corners,etc

I know that Mario enjoys the tyre wear effect but i don't think they got it well in the 1st one (the tyre wear isn't properly ajusted to the duration of a race and doesn't feel realistic in my POV)

Never the less if it is price underated i think it might be worth a second chance to see if any of these flaws were fixed...since you are not expecting a deep imersive sim sensation...

It is like the gorgeous italian girl you take out for a drink,have some fun but never marry...:lol:

We're so off topic :dopey:

Well, you play what you get and you don't have many options, do you? Well, you have:

1 - the japanese "uptown girl" you cannot access because she is doing her make-up for 5 years now;

2 - the rich, but brainless, easy-going all-american girl with piercings all over her body that you have fun with but can't keep dating because she is, in the end, obnoxious;

3 - the serious, slightly naughty and neither rich nor flawless british girl that likes exotics and can be an interesting date for a reasonably long period, although you know she could and should be ... better.

4 - the italian hottie, available and willing, even more flawed than the british one, but a lot more intelligent, she puts up a fight but when you master her you know it was worth it. Sadly, she too could and should be a lot better.

Great! :cheers:

- no rear view mirror
That's a big no go.

"Next Challenge" video analysis:
- mirrors but only in the new cockpit view(s). :indiff:
- some frame rate drops, looks v-synced
- reflections on the hood only update at half frame rate

I don't even think she's all that pretty. You guys must be drunk or desperate. ;) Monica herself is...another story.

I'm really piling it on and I haven't given this game a fair shot. I've spent all of maybe 3-4 hours with it so far. And I keep intending to give it another go. But I've been rather busy lately and once again I find myself in a situation with the next Old Timer SCC event quickly approaching and I've gotten almost no practice in.

The first time I tried this game, I lost the FFB immediately. I did one lap anyway but it was useless. So I backed out, pulled and replugged the G25 into the slot and tried it again. Once again, I lost FFB after a few seconds. This time I quit the game, restarted, once again unplugging and replugging the G25 while in the XMB and tried it again. This time I was able to get through two entire laps before the FFB quit. I had some other problems too with the game not keeping any settings I saved. Over the next two hours I continued to lose FFB after every 2-3 laps, although other times it would last for 1-2 rounds with no issue.

I only tried out 3 different tracks. I thought Mugello was much better rendered than the version in SCC. But curiously enough, it looked like Monza was designed by a different set of artists and it was bland and odd looking by comparison. I didn't think the physics were that great and the braking performance seemed overly powerful. It's certainly a generation behind games like FC or Prologue. At times, I lost control under braking but there seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to why it was happening. If the car is off line or unbalanced or the road off camber, one could understand. But it just seemed to happen randomly and made it all rather confusing, as if the brake balance was just changing on it's own at certain corners.

Twice when I tried to run the replay, the game would show about 5 seconds of the replay and go back to the menu. The next time I tried it, it froze and I had to force quit.

There were some other issues as well which I can't recall at the moment. But compared to SCC, a game which is not without it's own serious faults, SCC felt GT solid in comparison.

A few weeks ago I gave the game another try when my brother-in-law was over and he also complained about the same problems I mentioned, as well as other issues.

I spent < $20 on this game and for that price I won't complain too much. But I really doubt I'll buy the new version. When I have more time I'll give it another go. But losing the FFB back at least 20 times in 2 hours and having to restart is not my idea of fun.

Last edited:
The first time I tried this game, I lost the FFB immediately. I did one lap anyway but it was useless. So I backed out, pulled and replugged the G25 into the slot and tried it again. Once again, I lost FFB after a few seconds. This time I quit the game, restarted, once again unplugging and replugging the G25 while in the XMB and tried it again. This time I was able to get through two entire laps before the FFB quit. I had some other problems too with the game not keeping any settings I saved. Over the next two hours I continued to lose FFB after every 2-3 laps, although other times it would last for 1-2 rounds with no issue.

OK. Are we talking about your experience with a game or a girl here? :confused:

Now you got me thinking twice... I think I'll sit tight waiting that someone buy this first and post its impressions...

Latest Posts

Back