PURE | Flyin' Miata Super Cup | Grand Finale Results & Points Posted!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 4,144 comments
Finally able to run consistent 49s. Have sectors for a mid 48 but cannot for the life of me string a lap together. I'll probably qualify tomorrow :P

I couldn't get them either, I got very close so I'm ok with it. I'm not shifting into fifth till almost the start/finish line.

Anyone have names for the turns yet? I have come up with a couple just wanted to see what you guys had.

Overpass, stadium sweeper, Sony straight, or Sony kink, annoying first turn lol and for the double apex right hander before overpass I call it walls, for obvious reasons.

Being as it's a real place... I would name them like this:

tokyo246_track-map.jpg

If you want to walk it in Google Street View this will put you on the main straight near the start-finish line.

Dr_Watson
Being as it's a real place... I would name them like this:

If you want to walk it in Google Street View this will put you on the main straight near the start-finish line.

I love these kinds of posts!!!

Practice room 1472-4711-0081-4392-4918 (closed I think)

Last edited:
Dampers are still a work in progress until I can actually test them via practice races.

pngcarsetup.php

EDIT: Much better in the draft than what I had yesterday. Need to test in a larger pack, but I may start applying the same concepts here in other cars. :)

Last edited:
Gosh darny, I can't for the life of me get those transmission figures. Best I can get for gear 1 and 5 is 2.655 and 0.899 respectively, with the final gear set to the same.

Spent like 30 minutes trying every combination of transmission setting in different orders and couldn't get it.
You pulled some voodoo to get that setting :crazy:

If you tinker with the top-speed slider while you have higher final drive you get shorter gears. If you tinker with the top speed while you have a low final drive you get taller gears. So to get what I have you'll have to play with the top speed on a final drive > 4... It may have even been 5.5; can't remember I spent the entire first hour of practice doing nothing but playing with the gears and the diff which was magically chopping seconds off my time.

p.s. you wimps need to start qualifying soon :P

I got it.

Set gears to default. Move final gear to around 5.333

Then move Top speed to 130
Set the gears as per your tune sheet.
Then bring final gear to 3.825 for proper top speed of 170mph.

I was about to get 2.580 for first and 1.005 for 5th.

So the higher you set the final gear initially, the wider the separation from 1st to 5th.
Your car will accelerate quicker with a lower final drive.
Better to do the tranny trick from default and make the final drive as low as possible than to raise the final drive to a high number and bring it down to a medium number.

It is literally, outright faster. (Even though the gearing will be virtually the same)

In simpler terms, at the same speed, in the same gear, at the same rpm, in the same car, if my final drive is 2.500 and yours is 3.500, my car will accelerate quicker.

I think what Tim has set up is a trade off, better gearing for less acceleration. Unless you can figure out a way to get the same ratios with a lower final drive with the same top speed, which I'm not sure is possible.

btw, seen your PM inbox lately?

I think what Tim has set up is a trade off, better gearing for less acceleration. Unless you can figure out a way to get the same ratios with a lower final drive with the same top speed, which I'm not sure is possible.

Reset to default
Set top speed to minimum
Lower final drive all the way to 2.500 on this car.
Adjust from there.

On some cars you need to raise the final drive a bit to keep the gearing from being too long, others not, the goal is to set the final gear at the lowest number possible.
The common way is to raise the final drive to maximum, but that usually leaves you with a final drive around 3.5-4.0. The individual gearing is great with either, and essentially the same, just that with the lower final drive, cars go faster.

The ratios won't be anywhere close to the same, but you'll reach the same speeds in the same gears, you'll just go through the gears a bit quicker anyway though. ;)

Yes, I had 9 today. :crazy:

Last edited:
Hmm, testing - again.
Thanks Dom

And forget those other PM's, just look at mine! xD

Hmm, testing - again.
Thanks Dom

And forget those other PM's, just look at mine! xD
The truly easy slacker way to test:

Set final drive to maximum.(5.500 for this car maybe)
Set top speed slider to your desired speed.

Test against:

Final drive on minimum. (2.500 on this car)
Set top speed slider to same speed as above.

The end gearing will be identical, but the car with a 2.5 final drive will wipe the floor with the high final drive cars face.

Anyone in a room right now? I want to get some practice in after the Arizona debate.

Last edited:

All gear sets are a trade-off by nature :sly: ... but I just follow real world physics and hope gran turismo is close enough. Not enough room in my head to keep "how the game does it" and "how it's supposed to work" separate. (wonky rear ride height treatment being an exception)

The final drive is the gear in the differential that drives the torque split between the rear wheels. Higher gear ratios between the wheels and the drive shaft transmits torque more efficiently and immediately. (I think this also makes the differential more aggressive)

On the other end of power delivery in the gear box I don't like overdrive in race-cars so I stick to the 1:1 'straight through' top gear that removes almost all parasitic loss from the equation (fuel economy be damned).

So I just try to get a final drive and 1:1 top gear combination that works for the track and then mess with the other gears in between. Making 1st and 2nd really low allows for shorter gaps between the higher gears when speeds are higher and thus drag is higher (making the gap in the gearing more important).

So that's my philosophy on drive train tuning.

On paper:

5.500 final drive, set top speed to 193mph. (310kmh)
G - .87 (minimal wheel spin)
0-60 - 4.184 (minimal wheel spin)
0-100 - 9.853
1/4 - 12.702@112mph
Mile - 32.110@155mph (barely scraped 155)

2.500 final drive, set top speed to 193mph. (310kmh)
G - .87 (burnout)
0-60 - 4.026 (burnout)
0-100 - 9.350
1/4 - 12.473@114mph
Mile - 31.616 @156mph (almost 157)

It's actually pretty wildly faster, I didn't realize it was quite this much.

I've heard a pretty good theory on how a lower final drive decreases rotating mass, vs a higher final drive. Drive shafts are very heavy, better to spin it less than more. How it plays out in real life, I do not know.

The end gearing will be identical, but the car with a 2.5 final drive will wipe the floor with the high final drive cars face.

By identical you mean shift points will be at the same mph? Or that the gear ratios are identical? The latter doesn't seem to jive with mathematics.

By identical you mean shift points will be at the same mph? Or that the gear ratios are identical? The latter doesn't seem to jive with mathematics.
Identical as in same speed, i.e, same total ratio.

You set the top speed slider last in this test, since it's purely the difference of final drive ratio you're testing the difference of.

You won't even have to think about it, the lower final drive just tears away from the high final drive ghost, you'd swear 20 ponies were secretly stuffed under the hood, and the ghost starts falling back (quickly) pretty much instantly.

On paper:

5.500 final drive, set top speed to 193mph. (310kmh)
G - .87 (minimal wheel spin)
0-60 - 4.184 (minimal wheel spin)
0-100 - 9.853
1/4 - 12.702@112mph
Mile - 32.110@155mph (barely scraped 155)

2.500 final drive, set top speed to 193mph. (310kmh)
G - .87 (burnout)
0-60 - 4.026 (burnout)
0-100 - 9.350
1/4 - 12.473@114mph
Mile - 31.616 @156mph (almost 157)

It's actually pretty wildly faster, I didn't realize it was quite this much.

I've heard a pretty good theory on how a lower final drive decreases rotating mass, vs a higher final drive. Drive shafts are very heavy, better to spin it less than more. How it plays out in real life, I do not know.

So all you changed was final and top speed? You left the gears alone?

lol, I love this discussion. Keep it up and we might get a call from NASA.

I hope I can still join in on this one. Welsh got me on to it. Just registered.

Awesome! Of course, there's no slots. Everyone has to qualify for their place each week, welcome!

And if Nige sent you, we know you're good people. Thanks.

I prefer to call them annoying turn 1, annoying turn 2, annoying turn 3, etc. This is one of my least favorite tracks, and I will probably drive 5 seconds off pace just to make sure I don't paint the walls. I did find this track map that has names for the corners, but I can't see ever remembering them haha.
cctrtokyoroute246au5eq0.gif

tokyo246_track-map.jpg

I can't see the pictures on page 1 right, can someone tell me if we're running this track normal or reverse? I like reverse better, but I think we're running normal.

I actually like this track. The only turn I would describe as annoying is 10 (or 12 on the second map), with the way the radius is deceptively tighter than it looks. If you look at it in google street view, you'll see that there's no wall in real life. I wish PD hadn't put a stupid wall up in their version...

Last edited:
Did this one using Tim's (Dr_Watson) set-up combined with a tweaked transmission (final drive's 2.500) after realizing CSL's points.

This was only my second lap on track after I changed some gearing, so if this was my first flyer in qualifying it would've been great!

Hope some of you will find the video helpful:

'58.697 - not a single wall grazed.

Did this one using Tim's (Dr_Watson) set-up combined with a tweaked transmission (final drive's 2.500) after realizing CSL's points.

This was only my second lap on track after I changed some gearing, so if this was my first flyer in qualifying it would've been great!

Hope some of you will find the video helpful:

'58.697 - not a single wall grazed.

58? I can beat that :sly:
Nice lap, I can't figure out why I'm stuck at 49.0 over and over and over....
Seems like Tim's setup is more stable in T3 then mine....

Yeah T3 just takes really careful throttle useage and needs a reaally nice big late apex to hit for it to come out right. I probably only get it right half the time.

Nice lap Dez. With the new tranny I got down to 49.4 from 50.2. Makes a huge differance, I also found some time on the sweeper and turn 1. Thanks for the help guys.

You're welcome guys, and thanks to you as well.

The awesome intro title animation was put together by none other than Travis! (aka carracerptp) Big thanks to him... there's also a special PURE title intro coming up... more on that later.

Back