Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends

• Thread starter drivatar
  • 861 comments
UK store has it, US Store has it.

Due to cheap US dollar, you can grab it from US store for 20$ if you find US PSN vouchers somewhere and create a US account to download it. ...
On my US account now. The price is $40...

I've posted a few impressions and conversations with ussr in this thread when the game first came out.

Honestly, I went back to Shift 1. Now, I'm using a 360 pad to play these, and it seems that with a good wheel, you can really get more out of this game.

But going back to play this last weekend though, I'm still finding some cars have a "mushy/spongy" feel to them, and the back-end slide is just a bit too much for me on a few. Even after playing with the settings.
I think you guys get the advantage of ironing that out with wheel settings.

I do think they did a good job of getting rid of the twitchiness of the cars in this compared to Shift. But at this point I just find that the same cars in Shift feel a bit more predictable to me. I guess I just prefer the feel and look of Shift 1 (especially in cockpit).

But I do love the additional tracks not in S1 or 2, and the cloudy evening lighting is fantastic. I'm a sucker for a good sky-scape in racing games.

I had a good time with this game, I found some events to be very challenging. And like the other SMS games, it yielded some of the most memorable races for me this gen (i.e. the F333SP RA race, or the FXX at Riviera). These sure do get your palms sweating, and the attempt to convey the intensity a race driver feels is well done.

I absolutely love Shift 1, along with Race Pro, it's at the top of my driving games list on the 360. I just find it to be incredible fun, especially with the right settings and specific car tunings. I love me some Forza as well, but I find myself constantly going back to Shift.
I really wish they would have patched the slight steering lag in 2, as well as kept the crisp lighting and graphical look of 1.

I absolutely cannot wait for pCARS to come out on console next year. Even with it toned down from the PC version, I think we're going to be in for a real treat.

Sure, i welcome any competition whatever the gender :)

I'm now definitely learning how to brake without ABS :mad: Maybe someday ill be able to brake later, harder and ill cut those missing 3 seconds.

Because i can push myself Nordschleife 100% perfect every corner and with ABS there is no way i can go below 5:20 :mad: :banghead:

For PS3 users: Are you seeing jaggies around the gauges and mirror? And for the view in the distance ahead, is it a little blurry? I'm asking because it is what I am seeing on my meager 22" HDTV at 720p, yet other games on my PS3 look good. This is easily the worst looking game I have for my PS3. I downloaded it from the PSN Store.

It's not a game breaker for me, as I love the game. I'm just wondering if others are seeing what I am.

For PS3 users: Are you seeing jaggies around the gauges and mirror? And for the view in the distance ahead, is it a little blurry? I'm asking because it is what I am seeing on my meager 22" HDTV at 720p, yet other games on my PS3 look good. This is easily the worst looking game I have for my PS3. I downloaded it from the PSN Store.

It's not a game breaker for me, as I love the game. I'm just wondering if others are seeing what I am.

Yes, the graphics in this game are PS2 like. I see the jaggies you see and I see blurriness in the distance ahead of the car.

You're not far off saying the graphics are PS2 like. I still have a PS2 connected to a standard definition tv with component cables and thought as an experiment I would use the same cable to connect my PS3 to the same tv and see what this game looked like in 480i on a CRT screen. It actually looks better, if you can believe it. Sure, text isn't as sharp as it is in hi-def, but the overall image looks like it was made for old SDTVs. Go figure.

This is easily the worst looking game I have for my PS3. I downloaded it from the PSN Store.

Well yes, this is not the prettiest racing game for ps3, but the beauty lies in arcade stylish driving :) We all can live with that :D

Oh and please ohhh please don't mention it's on-line desert:confused:

Anyone have a video of the 599XX in this game? I'm wondering what it sounds like, i don't have the game yet but i want to buy it later :)

Anyone have a video of the 599XX in this game? I'm wondering what it sounds like, i don't have the game yet but i want to buy it later :)

There is no 599XX version in game, but basic 599 GTB, which is horrid in every way. Big Front engine V12 cause a lot of over steer, you have to drive it only once at Nordschleife in Modern Era.

I'm now definitely learning how to brake without ABS :mad: Maybe someday ill be able to brake later, harder and ill cut those missing 3 seconds.

Because i can push myself Nordschleife 100% perfect every corner and with ABS there is no way i can go below 5:20 :mad: :banghead:

Keep at it man, 5:20 is still a very good time 👍

I heard over at WMD that the PC version is out for digital download. Just wanted to let you guys know. :)

Thank you guys for your very important feedback on this game, you made me buy this game :)

I hated shift 2 physics because it ruined a great game, so I was worried about TD Ferrari Gameplay because I like to play with may DFGT wheel. Thanks for your Shift2/TD comparison, it has been so important for me!

And I agree with those of you who say that the press spent too little time understanding this game that looks to be very good to me.

This is finally available on Steam to the UK market. Only came across it by chance, seems it was released yesterday. I was just about to resort to 'other means' to get a copy.

This is possibly the most criminally underadvertised driving game in history.

Ordered the PC game on 2nd of July as it was advertised as released. No mention of PC version not being ready. Okay mentioned this before but I have yet to get an email from Atari/Digital River to inform me it IS now available.

So I go back to my order acknowledgement email click the link, enter my order number and still I get no links to a download. Just details and an invoice link.

Can someone shed some light on this, is their somewhere else I should be entering the order number for download link?

There is no 599XX version in game, but basic 599 GTB, which is horrid in every way. Big Front engine V12 cause a lot of over steer, you have to drive it only once at Nordschleife in Modern Era.
Ahh that sucks the 599XX is my favourite modern Ferrari, and was looking forward to drive it in this game.. But thanks for the answer :)

Bought the PC version more or less completely blind. I was afraid it would be a really buggy console port and first impression is a bit scary to be honest. You are greeted with Xbox 360 gamepad buttons and the interface is very non intuitive thus. It´s night here so I don´t want to wake my neighbours so I haven´t driven anything yet though just cruising catalunya. The steering deadzone of Shift 2 don´t seem to be here. Maybe it´s a bit to direct actually but I was running 400 degrees? Should you run 900 degrees for all cars? I noticed there is hardly any adjustments possible at all console style and of course there is no TH8RS H-shifter support. If I connect my G27 will the H-shifter on that work?

It does seem to recognize my T500 wheel I get the F1 integral panel showing my controls.

Maxed out I got fps 45-57 in quick race alone on the track which was not that promising. I suspect I will have to dial down some settings but also bump up the aa. As the texture resolution seem more fitting to consoles. I ended up getting a hard lock trying to navigate some menu while in race so will see how this goes.

Will be fun to really try it out tomorrow. As for settings 900 degrees for all cars including F1 or do anybody run less for that? As there is no options I suppose the game is supposed to auto adjust to something suitable?

Is this really possible? Do you need a G27 to be allowed to disable driving aids? There is no mappings for driving aids for the keyboard. On the G27 mapping they show buttons on the shifter console to enable/disable driving aids. None so for my T500RS wheel. Insanity... What driving aids am I using btw. I have one crown icon and one handbrake icon...

Is there any manual anywhere?

Anybody with the PC version seeing the same issue with the trees as in that Motogames TV vid?
You mean the non-transparent alpha channel bug? If so yes, I have that. It seems to tie into the anti aliasing setting for (some?) AMD/ATI users. I get it unless I have the anti aliasing set to Off or MLAA, i.e. the Normal, High and FXAA settings produce the bug. It's the only real bug I've spotted so far.

BTW, I'm having a blast with this game! :D

Okay one of the aid button is hand brake. What purpose do that icon have on the hud? The crown one I suppose is racing line. I managed to get rid of that finally. Speed blind :D Apart from that it´s certainly tuned Shift 2. I am not sure I got the wheel controls right but it´s better then Shift 2s anyway. I connected my G27 then I could set the wheel rotation 360/900 etc. However when I then started with my T500RS I have steering lock settings from 0-100 instead??? If I choose the G27 profile it´s the same.

The more I increase the steering lock on the T500RS the more I have to turn the wheel so I suppose it´s the same setting. 100 on the Thrustmaster is that 900 on the G27 or does it make use of the 1080 degrees?

Last edited:
Bug reports.

In game it work alright. However when I get to the after race report screen I frequently get either the bars scrolling all around with no way to stop it. Cut the power to the wheel nada helps. It generally says non responding when I start the taskmanager. Otherwise no scrolling but neither mouse control or wheel register. Means I will have to redo that race the next time around as I have to kill the game from windows.

Okay one of the aid button is hand brake. What purpose do that icon have on the hud? The crown one I suppose is racing line. I managed to get rid of that finally. Speed blind :D Apart from that it´s certainly tuned Shift 2. I am not sure I got the wheel controls right but it´s better then Shift 2s anyway. I connected my G27 then I could set the wheel rotation 360/900 etc. However when I then started with my T500RS I have steering lock settings from 0-100 instead??? If I choose the G27 profile it´s the same.

The more I increase the steering lock on the T500RS the more I have to turn the wheel so I suppose it´s the same setting. 100 on the Thrustmaster is that 900 on the G27 or does it make use of the 1080 degrees?

I bought the PC version last night from Steam, and I experienced the same problem with my T500RS last night, problems with steering lock. In the PS3 version, I could not get my T500RS to work at all. The force feedback on my T500 in the PC version was also very weak, almost non-existent. I am going to try my CSR Elite tonight and see if that works better. It worked fine with the PS3 version, plenty of force feedback and 900 degrees of rotation.

Overall, the PC version looks light years better than the PS3 version, plus it supports triple screens!!! :)

How do your Elite compare to the T500RS :)

I have no problem with the force feedback. I run the F1 integral profile you can check if that makes a difference? It has 70 % ffb as standard setting which is pretty good to me and 60 % in the profiler. There is no bumps on the road though but a lot of weight transfer. My entire chair rumble from the rumble strip feedback. Only on the T500RS though the G27 is entire incapable of doing that.

I run 900 in the profiler and 40 steering lock in the sim. May try for a bit more when I get my round wheel on but this works brilliantly for any car so far.

I suppose I am easilly entertained but I love the cars given to me so far. GTO the last one. This is the most fun tarmac real circuit arcade/simcade racer I have run for a very long time.

How do your Elite compare to the T500RS :)

I have no problem with the force feedback. I run the F1 integral profile you can check if that makes a difference? It has 70 % ffb as standard setting which is pretty good to me and 60 % in the profiler. There is no bumps on the road though but a lot of weight transfer. My entire chair rumble from the rumble strip feedback. Only on the T500RS though the G27 is entire incapable of doing that.

I run 900 in the profiler and 40 steering lock in the sim. May try for a bit more when I get my round wheel on but this works brilliantly for any car so far.

I suppose I am easilly entertained but I love the cars given to me so far. GTO the last one. This is the most fun tarmac real circuit arcade/simcade racer I have run for a very long time.

I tried again last night with the T500RS in the PC version, including the F1 wheel settings, but I could not get force feedback and the game locked up on me. So, I instead hooked up my CSR Elite and it worked fine, including with the attached Clubsport pedals and CSR H shifter. This is consistent with my experience with the PS3 version, where the T500RS would not work, but the CSR Elite worked fine.

With regard to comparing the T500 to the Elite, let me say that both wheels are excellent, and they have their pros and cons.

1) Cost - With regard to cost, the T500 has the advantage, since you can get it for as little as $350 brand new, with a set of good quality pedals. The CSR Elite costs $540, plus a decent set of CSR Elite pedals costs $150, for a total of over $700 after shipping.

2) Compatibility - With regard to compatibility, the CSR Elite has the advantage because it works on all three major sim racing platforms, Xbox, PS3 and PC, whereas the T500 only works on PS3 and PC.

3) Rims - I like the rim on the T500 more than the CSR Elite rim, because its solid metal, surrounded by a good quality rubber coating. It feels great. The Elite rim is good, but its got a lot of plastic and just does not feel quite as solid.

4) Force Feedback - The force feedback on the T500 seems better in iRacing and rfactor, but the Elite has the advantage in GT5 and the Dirt games. This is horrifically subjective. Both wheels have excellent force feedback.

5) Adjustments - The CSR Elite can be adjusted on the fly, since it has the on wheel LED screen to change FFB, rotation, SHO, ABS, etc. The T500 must be adjusted in the driver or in game, which is less convenient.

6) Peripherals - The T500 has several excellent attachments that you can purchase separately, including the F1 rim and the THR8S shifter. The CSR Elite currently lacks the F1 rim, but even when it comes, it will not be as easy to detach because you will need to unhook electronics. The T500 is not quick release like the CSW, but its still pretty fast and simple. Also, the THR8S shifter is much better than the CSR shifter. It has higher quality metal parts, but to be fair, its more expensive. There is an adapter to allow you to use the THR8S with Fanatec wheels, including in Forza, where you cannot connect the shifter directly to the console. The SFA adapter is available at www.basherboards.com. I just ordered one. The guy who runs the site is a stud. 👍

7) Reliability - My T500 has worked fine from Day 1, no problems. On the other hand, I ordered my first Elite in December 2011, but am now on my third one, in a year of use. Both of my prior Elites suffered burnt out motors, most likely due to lack of sufficient cooling. To Fanatec's credit, they were prompt in responding to my customer service inquiries, and I think they have the issue solved. My third Elite is working perfectly, I suspect because of Fanatec's improvements to the wheel and the firmware. To be fair, I know several guys in my racing group who have had issues with their T500 wheels.

8) Pedals - The pedals that come with the T500 are solid, but they lack a load cell brake. Our friend in the sim racing community, John Bodin, makes a load cell mod that costs $150. http://www.bodin-solutions.com/ I have not yet purchased it, but I am contemplating it. The Clubsport pedals are better, mostly because they have a load cell, but they are more expensive than if you bought the T500 and Bodin's mod. Cost is $250, plus shipping for the V2 Clubsports.

9) Mounting - The T500 can be hard mounted, but it comes with a rock solid clamp that I use to mount it to my Rennsport wheel stand. The CSR Elite must be hard mounted or you can buy the separate Clubsport table clamp to mount it.

My two cents, take em or leave em. I love both wheels, for somewhat different reasons, hence why I use both of them.

Thanks brilliant write up. I do suspect there is something fishy with the T500RS and this game. Sometimes I can run several races no problems but when I in a race got it hanging 4x in a row after completing a race I mounted my G27. It got me passed and didn´t crash on three races after that. May be coincidence or what not. It´s kind of fun going from the F1 Integral T500RS to the G27. It´s like going from F1 to gokart. However it´s kind of cool being able to go as fast in a gokart then in a F1 too so it works both ways.

Going back to the T500RS and see if the crashes persist. But strange about the force feedback. I am so tired since yesterday I want to run lower then 70 % force feedback in the game on the T500RS. G27 on 100 it´s like it almost doesn´t have any.

Back