GT6 @ gamecom 2013

• Thread starter gNNY
  • 306 comments
Guys. That is a mistranslation in it's simplest form. He must have the correct 100 square km in his head, and thinks that means 100x100 km. There's no way in hell. What a waste of resources and time it would be to create a track the size of jamaica.

10x10 km = 100 km squared. This is still absolutely massive- a size that no sane person could complain about.

Translator-san has made another classic mistake- leading all of us to lose our minds.
10x10 km is still pretty awesome. I can't wait for this course maker. :drool:

I don't know if already posted

Full GamesCom 2013 GT press session (audio could be better though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV1abWVXGn4

To quote a question after the demonstration: "Will we be able to customize are cars by adding our own photos to them and what not?"

Answer: "That's something we're currently working on and are planning to show more of at the Tokyo Game Show".

Oddly, he doesn't believe a full livery editor will be available yet. Must be a translation issue of sorts.

Guys. That is a mistranslation in it's simplest form. He must have the correct 100 square km in his head, and thinks that means 100x100 km. There's no way in hell. What a waste of resources and time it would be to create a track the size of jamaica.

10x10 km = 100 km squared. This is still absolutely massive- a size that no sane person could complain about.

Translator-san has made another classic mistake- leading all of us to lose our minds.

It's a shame the sound in the video is so average.

He says "hyaku (obscured) gurai kiro", which would be "a hundred (something) approximately kilometers". With the noise and stuff around, I can't hear that middle word. If the word is "heihou", it's a hundred square kilometers. I have no idea how you'd say a hundred by a hundred in Japanese.

Honestly, you sort of have to give the benefit of the doubt to the professional interpreter sitting beside the guy. Unless someone else has better ears than me and can hear that word, I don't think we can reasonably argue against it.

The other bonus is that if word starts going around the internet that it's 100x100km and it's actually not, PD will probably put out word to correct it quick sharp.

Of course, I also would like the rally fans on here to be able to make actual courses of theirs to put in the game, since PD did even less for them.
No ****. Remember the GT5 trailer showing a WRC logo? What a joke...

As for NASCAR, they better include the new Gen 6 cars, and more tracks would definitely not hurt. NASCAR's two road courses, Sonoma Raceway and Watkins Glen would be awesome!

- Course Maker innovations, what are they exactly?
- GPS feature - will it allow to record GPS data and import it in the Course Maker to produce user-created tracks?
- any more "Original Courses" (legacy tracks) besides Apricot Hill? Midfield, Grindelwald, Red Rock Valley, Taity Road..?
- will all tracks get day/night and weather change?
- oil-change in pits for multiplayer?
- will we see return of the Official Matchmaking online races as in GT5:Prologue?
- will GT6 have online Seasonal Events as GT5?
- will GT6 Mobile Application work on the Vita too (on top of the smartphones and tables, as announced)?
- will GT6 allow for head-tracking via PSEye to be used in other modes besides Arcade races (if any)?
- will the Red Bull X1 return for GT6?
- will there be "Car Creator" (create your own vehicle) in GT6?

Thank you in advance ;)

Normally we come to you on those questions buddy. It's like a Twilight Zone episode or something, hehe.

Great list of questions for sure.

Jerome

GranTurismo916
10x10 km is still pretty awesome. I can't wait for this course maker. :drool:

So you're saying in GT6 we can make a track 10x10km big? I can't believe it... I highly doubt that PS3 had enough resources to do it. It's basically 4 times bigger than Nordschleife, right?

Well, the total area you have to work with is presumably 10kmx10km, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have free reign to do absolutely anything within that space. I'm sure there will be limits. It still sounds quite promising, IMO.

...Honestly, you sort of have to give the benefit of the doubt to the professional interpreter sitting beside the guy.

Respectfully disagree. Translator-san has made some silly mistakes before- one this year (at silverstone) actually caused Kazunori to stop, look over with a bit of a scowl, and say "I did not say that". That's not good! From my observation, Translator-san comes off as someone who does not share our automotive passion, nor an authentic interest in the developement of Gran Turismo. Has anyone here who has met him, and talked for any substantial time with him, have anything to say about that? I'd love to be wrong here, but from what I've seen- I'm not sure he's in the right arena.

I'm not trying to slam the guy as a person, but this mis-translation, ill-communication 🤬 between PD and the rest of the world is getting a bit old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Respectfully disagree. Translator-san has made some silly mistakes before- one this year (at silverstone) actually caused Kazunori to stop, look over with a bit of a scowl, and say "I did not say that". That's not good! From my observation, Translator-san comes off as someone who does not share our automotive passion, nor an authentic interest in the developement of Gran Turismo. Has anyone here who has met him, and talked for any substantial time with him, have anything to say about that? I'd love to be wrong here, but from what I've seen- I'm not sure he's in the right arena.
You're wrong. He's from California, and his love of cars led him to become a professional translator for Japanese automotive companies. Before Polyphony Digital, he worked for Subaru, translating technical manuals and vehicle documentation into English. In addition to translating for Kazunori at these events, he translates all of the text you see in the games.

I think the issue is that precisely translating real-time conversations is hard, no matter your proficiency in the two languages.

On a general note: you're wrong. He was interviewed by gtlanet some time ago, if I recall. He's been around for a long time and knows his stuff. Of course, to err is human.

Now regarding those dimension: I've got it clarified.

The translator issue is as old as the hills. There really should be a better way of communicating in 2013.

i'm not trying to slam the guy as a person, but this mis-translation, ill-communication 🤬 Between pd and the rest of the world is getting a bit old.

you're wrong. He's from california, and his love of cars led him to become a professional translator for japanese automotive companies. Before polyphony digital, he worked for subaru, translating technical manuals and vehicle documentation into english. In addition to translating for kazunori at these events, he translates all of the text you see in the games.

I think the issue is that precisely translating real-time conversations is hard, no matter your proficiency in the two languages.

lol

You're wrong. He's from California, and his love of cars led him to become a professional translator for Japanese automotive companies. Before Polyphony Digital, he worked for Subaru, translating technical manuals and vehicle documentation into English. In addition to translating for Kazunori at these events, he translates all of the text you see in the games.

That's interesting to learn, thanks for sharing Jordan. 👍

The translator issue is as old as the hills. There really should be a better way of communicating in 2013.

Babelfish?

People are working on this kind of thing, it's not easy (tried Google translate recently?). Or do you mean that Kaz should just learn English? Didn't he say that he would do a worse job than Translator-san anyway (in effect)? You know, some people just aren't that good at languages.

Also, some things aren't straight forward and "logical" (translation is complex, but always tractable with enough human input; interpretation is an absolute art) - look at the confidence people had about predicting the weather less than 100 years ago...

So, did I miss the clarification? Is it 100 km squared or 100 square km? At Silverstone it was only "tens of square kilometres"; i.e. something like 3 km on a side minimum - this seems like quite a jump all of a sudden!

An interpreter is as good as it gets for real time questions and the like, unfortunately. Unless you get people to submit questions beforehand and pre-organise the answers. The difficulty is that TL-san has maybe five seconds tops after Kaz stops talking to start giving the answer in English.

Then there's that languages really aren't interchangeable. There was one part where he was talking about one of the companies designing for Vision GT. He went on to the next one (might have been Nissan, I forget), and just said "Nissan mo". In Japanese that's a legitimate sentence, "Nissan too", but in English that sort of sparse language is borderline rude, and tends to confuse people. It needed to be "And Nissan are doing the same things as well" or something along those lines, and it's big mental leap to keep going back and forth between a language that can deal with that level of ambiguity and one that can't.

I'm sort of surprised that they didn't really seem to have pre-organised the whole thing for the presentation. I'd have thought Kaz would be more or less working from a prepared speech, and TL-san would have translated it back at the office and would just be adding in bits that Kaz ad libbed. It didn't really appear that way.

Hey guy's! I just played the Gamescom Demo of GT6 and i have some infos! The framerate of the demo is better then the GTA2013 Version. I really like the engine Sound of the Cizeta V16. And the Anti Aliasing works/looks better!

So, did I miss the clarification? Is it 100 km squared or 100 square km? At Silverstone it was only "tens of square kilometres"; i.e. something like 3 km on a side minimum - this seems like quite a jump all of a sudden!
I'd say that he clarified that it's 100 square km. "Tens of square kilometers" makes me think that's the case, otherwise Translator-san might have said at the 15 year anniversary event "hundreds of square kilometers" had it been the larger figure.
I don't know if already posted

Full GamesCom 2013 GT press session (audio could be better though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV1abWVXGn4

www.MundoGT.es
Someone asked a question about Goodwood's rally track and Kaz said that he likes it, but isn't sure if it'll be ready at the time of GT6's release (just clarifying that if the video gets taken down or if someone didn't read the comments.

According to this demo track selection sceen, not all tracks have changeable time of day or weather?
WP_20130821_001.jpg

Actually, it was confirmed that Willow Springs and Silverstone have time change and weather features (it's unknown whether or not it'll be 24 hours), but in the picture, it shows that Silverstone has neither of them. Grand Valley has the same symbol as Silverstone which looks like it's the symbol for a set time of day.

We know now that Matterhorn will have both features and same for Autumn Ring which we only figured before that it had time change. I'm doubting that they'll feature the 24 hour time change. Autumn Ring Mini is missing the reverse track symbol and it's still not known if Matterhorn will have a reverse layout; yes, it's an original track, but look at Cape Ring.

Someone on LinkedIn should poke this guy for Course Maker tidbits.
HOT damn!

Last edited:
Thom Lee
Hey guy's! I just played the Gamescom Demo of GT6 and i have some infos! The framerate of the demo is better then the GTA2013 Version. I really like the engine Sound of the Cizeta V16. And the Anti Aliasing works/looks better!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsK-hbF5dtQ">YouTube Link</a>

We all appreciate it and you made my day by saying the frame rate is better and as well is anti Aliasing. 👍

Really nice article up:
https://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-course-maker-livery-editor-gamescom/

Super happy that Spa and Daytona are getting day to night cycles!

And this whole thing:
The city of Ronda, Spain has been re-confirmed as a Course Maker location in GT6.

The Course Maker in GT6 is &#8220;fundamentally different&#8221; from GT5.

Users will be able to &#8220;lay out their [custom] tracks freely&#8221; in an area of over 100 square kilometers. (Note: the exact quote from the translator is &#8220;100 kilometers by 100 kilometers&#8221;. However, this would be 10,000 square kilometers, an unreasonably large size and most likely a mistranslation.)

Sounds very promising :D

I want to be able to recreate roads in and around the town where I live to see how they would feel as a racetrack. Out of town, country roads, into a village, more country roads back into town - one lap. REPEAT.

I thought that's what I was getting when I saw the course editor function on GT5 and was then hugely disappointed when I explored it.

I'm now more excited about GT6. Someone has said Nurburgring is ~16 sq km? So more than five times the size of that???

R063R
I want to be able to recreate roads in and around the town where I live to see how they would feel as a racetrack. Out of town, country roads, into a village, more country roads back into town - one lap. REPEAT.

I thought that's what I was getting when I saw the course editor function on GT5 and was then hugely disappointed when I explored it.

I'm now more excited about GT6. Someone has said Nurburgring is ~16 sq km? So more than five times the size of that???

I did say it :P I mean Nordschleife is 26km long I think I'm not sure though...

But hey, you'll not need a perfectly revamped course maker to recreate your town roads... You use the GPS app which will be announced soon ;)

With Gamescom all but done,GT6's track list is still the best thing going for it and it is what's pulling me to it,pretty meh showing though hope they unleash their magic less than a month from now at TGS.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsK-hbF5dtQ">YouTube Link</a>

I really like the blue menus. GT6 looks awsome!!

Classic
Wow. I'm really looking forward to the new track maker.

Me too. Hoping we still have some kind of options to make something more like a real track though. Long sweeping corners, banking and stuff.

Back