Wacky races and you!

• Thread starter iLex
  • 158 comments
gtp_iLex
This thread is meant to collect some alternative fun races that could be organised in GT5. I'll update the first post with any additions.
There might not be that many, but we'll see.

- VW Vans on an oval with, or without, rules
Either set rules for contact and slipstream your way to the finish, or forget about rules and smash and punt yourself to victory!

- A reasonably priced car on the top gear track
This one has been floating around gtplanet ever since the top gear track was announced.
Take a reasonably priced car (preferably one from the Top Gear series) and set the best time around the top gear track.
I wouldn't be surprised if this one was already in the 'Stig challenges' though.
Leaderboard on the forums?
Read more about it in this thead
And for a tour of the track by the stig, click here

- Team pushing
Teams of 2 cars, 1 pushes the other around the track (oval). The car being pushed cannot break or accelerate. First one over the finish wins! You might need some other drivers as referees...

- Team relay
Each car drives one lap, when finished, the second car can start, then third etc.
First team to have all cars finished wins.

- Unusual car/track combinations
-Karts on the Ring
-Karts on ice
-F1 cars on kart track(s)
-F1 on ice

-To save or to ruin the environment
- Drive a Hybrid car around the track with a full tank of fuel. The one with the most laps before the fuel runs out wins.
- Drive a supercar around the track with a full tank of fuel. The one with the most laps before the fuel runs out wins.
- Burn through the most fuel and/or tyres in a single race
- Pick a variety of odd cars and tune for mileage and no pit stops.

- Premium demolition derby
Finishing is not the most important thing, just ruin the other cars.

- NASCAR drift competition
No explanation needed it think

- Powerskid Competition
Make the longest skidmark (and a lot of smoke)

- Tag
The game Tag, you know what you used to do as a child in the playground, chasing each other and after the one being chased was touched, they had to chase the others, etc, etc.
It's as simple as that, only using cars around a track trying to outmanoeuvre the chaser using well timed handbrake turns and surprising direction changes or outbraking the chaser, etc.
It's basically a childish game called Tag combined with a car chase element and there's some real driving skill involved as opposed to running around the playground.

- Cat and mouse
Each team has a slow car called a 'mouse.' The rest of the team have much faster 'cat' cars. Teams compete to get their mouse across the finish line first. Cats can attack an opposing mouse, defend their mouse, or even push/draft their mouse for a helpful speed increase. A mouse must drive as fast as they can, but also guard against attacking cats.
Because the event is still a race(for the two mice), car choice and track familiarity are important. Because of the combative nature of the game, car choice could become even more critical, along with driver skill. The team aspect also makes for interesting gameplay, as a team of great drivers can still lose due to poor communication/teamwork.
Normally, I've seen this game played with two teams of four. With GT5's capacity for double the players, either more teams or bigger teams could be used to really make this game interesting.

- Reverse Challenge
Everyone in the same car, one track, everyone turn around your cars 180º, press triangle, hold it, first one to the finish line wins.

- 24 hour unusual vehicle race
Cars like the Shimmywagon, the Samba Bus, Daihatsu Midget etc.. all compete a 24 hour race of Nordshliefe (or Le Mans).

- Roll over competition (by witham)
You work in teams of two (with some guys from the forums spectating to referee) then you and you team mate have to try to roll over as many times as possible in one go, while you battle against 7 other teams of two who are all trying to do the same thing.

- Car Football (by Anes, NoobMan DS, tuga703 and Joker-GTBR)
Watch and enjoy :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flKzjuDhFDs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cgn7tF9szY
Other possible items for balls (cones etc.) could be examined once GT5 is here :)
Car Hockey is ofcourse also possible when played on ice.
Let's hope there is a good track for all of these.

- Cops 'n' Robbers
One or two "Robbers" in a car of his choice (obviously some restrictions like No F1 or NASCAR or WRC or Racecars)
The rest are "Cops" and must (safely) pull the Robbers over.

- Restrictions races
-Race with a speed limit of 20kmh
-Race only in first gear
-Race without using your brakes

- Meet you halfway
Half of the cars drive in the normal direction, the other half in the opposite direction. Rules can be applied to either allow or forbid the drivers hitting each other when they meet halfway.

- Challenges... Top Gear Style
Buy a cheap car and do a selection of the wacky challenges in succesion. The one with the best overal score wins.

- Wheelie challenge
Take a car and see how long you can keep it on 2 wheels, the scores are judged by how long the front wheels are off the ground.

- Hemi Rage
One heavy car (Hemi?), the rest small cars. Will your car survive against the assaults of the Hemi?

(Some of these might not be possible due to car/track restrictions, but let's hope we'll be able to do most or even all of them!)

Many thanks to Solid Lifters, BestWorstRacer, Neal, People_Know_Me, SCUD77, sems4arsenal, Heath_1, analog, VQuick, JToipa, witham, Anes, NoobMan DS, tuga703, Joker-GTBR, eCGadget, Icarus25, stig's Helmet, grog, Raitzinger, GT_Prologue5, chrisrar, Dan360, race'emhard, Falango and Folkedahl for their contributions!

Last edited:
couple of months ago my friend and i had a race with vw beetle form the 60' in gt4 on that big oval course it was super fun and slipstreaming is the key to win :D
i like all the ideas in the 1st post

The VW van idea sounds interesting. Slip streaming is the only way to win and that takes a lot of patience and skill.

Reasonably priced car sounds intriguing, but how would that exactly work?

*team race where 1car pushes another around the daytona oval, the car being pushed cannot brake or accelerate.

*Snow drag

*Team relay 1 lap per car

*premium demolition derby

This thread is meant to collect some alternative fun races that could be organised in GT5. I'll update the first post with any additions.
There might not be that many, but we'll see.

- VW Vans online on an oval without rules
The moment I saw the video of the VW vans I thought about this.
A group of friends, all in VW vans driving around an oval (to maximise speed) trying everything to win... It will end up being a kind of a Top Gear like approach to van racing.
We could even make a gtplanet competition out of this.

- A reasonably priced car on the top gear track
This one has been floating around gtplanet ever since the top gear track was announced.
I wouldn't be surprised if this one was already in the 'Stig challenges' though.
Leaderboard on the forums?

- Karting on the ring
This could be a lot of fun. The karts should be fast and light enough to make it to the finish line in a reasonable time, while giving a nice slow experience of the improved scenery.

All of the above sounds like fantastic fun. Perfect way to wind down and chill out after a heavy endurance race. :lol:

- Karting on the ring
This could be a lot of fun. The karts should be fast and light enough to make it to the finish line in a reasonable time, while giving a nice slow experience of the improved scenery.

I like this one, I think It would take 15-20 minutes, but you can drive almost all the lap full gas!!!

NASCAR drift competition
X1 in snow

and a 1 lap 24 hrs endurance race with the Daimler motor carriage where driver changes will take when the car is moving :lol:

Udated the first post. Some of the ideas left out because they need very specific items (soccer ball :D) or tracks (ice drag strip) to do and those are almost certainly not in the game. If any indication is given that they will be in the game I'll add them though.

Powerskid Competition would be pretty fun. Just need either a drag stip or a long main straight like Test Course or Suzuka or Fuji.. something like that.

Powerskid Competition would be pretty fun. Just need either a drag stip or a long main straight like Test Course or Suzuka or Fuji.. something like that.

Right, back to Titans v Roosters.

- Team pushing (by SCUD77)
Teams of 2 cars, 1 pushes the other around the track (oval). The car being pushed cannot break or accelerate. First one over the finish wins! You might need some other drivers as referees...

My brother and I used to do this in GT4. We managed to get the original Midget to near 300km/h down the Mulsanne.

The trick is to find the fastest car with the most torque; in my case it was the Bentley with a turbo the size of the Midget it was pushing along. The F1 car didn't have the grunt, and the normal racing cars couldn't deal with the extra drag.

EDIT: get the guy in the midget to use the handbrake for a bit so the engine isn't connected to the wheels (you know how it sort of stalls it and kicks the clutch in?). That gained us about 30kph and it was easier for him to control because the rears weren't locked to 80kph.

There's something I did with a couple of mates a few times ( playing GT4 ) after being bored and it's pretty childish but fun at the same time.
The game Tag ( I'm not sure this is the correct word ), you know what you used to do as a child in the playground, chasing each other and after the one being chased was touched, they had to chase the others, etc, etc.
It's as simple as that, only using cars around a track trying to outmanoeuvre the chaser using well timed handbrake turns and surprising direction changes or outbraking the chaser, etc.
It's basically a childish game called Tag combined with a car chase element and there's some real driving skill involved as opposed to running around the playground.:D

^ That sounds awesome and would be perfect in the gymkhana stunt arena (if it's still in the game) We used to play the same game on our BMX's as kids...happy days :D

^ That sounds awesome and would be perfect in the gymkhana stunt arena (if it's still in the game) We used to play the same game on our BMX's as kids...happy days :D

Yeah it's quite fun for a while, although after a while it becomes a bit tiresome but at least it's more acceptable for someone my age to do than either running around or using a BMX bike.;)
It doesn't beat racing each other but serves as a bit of light entertainment and provides a few giggles and like I said before some driving skill is involved to either avoid or catch the opponent.
And like you said a gymkhana course or a very small track is the best place to do it in.

"Reverse Challenge"
I think this one is obvious, everyone in the same car, one track, everyone turn around your cars 180º, press triangle, hold it, first one to the finish line wins.

Variations like "Reverse Kart Challenge" or "Reverse Nurb Challenge" sure can be done but the one I predict that will be the most fun is the "Ice/Rain Reverse Nurb Challenge" xD

Last edited:
I've thought of something Wacky. 24 hour unusual vehicle race. Cars like the Shimmywagon, the Samba Bus, Daihatsu Midget etc.. all compete a 24 hour race of Nordshliefe.

I'd probably pick the Dodge Ram truck.

How about a roll over competition, you work in teams of two (with some guys from the forums spectating to referee) then you and you team mate have to try to roll over as many times as possible in one go, while you battle against 7 other teams of two who are all trying to do the same thing.

Oh and the circuit should be an oval for quick head on collisions.

And it should have a 5 minute time.

The team who did the largest roll over win.

Back