GTP's Star in a Reasonably Priced Car Segment: Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 249 comments

Would you be interested in such a segment?

• Total voters

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
Coming Sunday, December 5th, 2010...Maybe

GTP's Star in a Reasonably Priced Car

Format:
Each week a member will be selected for an interview and to take a lap of the Top Gear Test Track in GT5. The lap will be recorded and submitted to me via some file format that I can read. I will then post the video to YouTube and post a text based interview. A leader board will be kept up as well as an archival thread.

Guests:
Guests will be chosen based on many criteria, more well known members will probably get first dibs, but leaders of WRS's, photomode comps, tuning garages are another focus I'd really like to have too. The first guest has been chosen, and all I will tell you is that is he is a long term member who lives where the weather is epic and has recently taken a mod job.

You will have to willing to share some information about yourself, if you are uncomfortable doing so this probably isn't the best thing for you. If you are selected you can decline the interview and you will have no backlash from myself. Privacy is something I'd like to respect.

Date:
The segments will be released on Sunday at some point throughout the day, probably around 9-10pm EST.

Car:
The car has been decided and confirmed as premium content for the game. It has been unveiled to premium users but won't be fully revealed till after the game's release.

I can tell you that it's FWD though and has a special connection to GTP...and it's not a MINI Cooper. Oh and it's red.

You will have to buy the car, but it's not expensive and you may more then likely already have it. If it's really an issue I can probably just gift you one.

How Does The Lap It Work:
You will need to run the car in Practice Mode under GT Life as it doesn't appear to be in Arcade mode. You must use a manual transmission, Comfort: Soft tires, Driving Line can be on or off (the track is kinda confusing), Traction Control set to off, Skid Recovery set to off, Active Steer set to off, ASM off, ABS set to 1, and Grip Reduction set to Real. You will need to run your lap in cockpit view as well. You may use either a wheel or a controller, however your lap time will denote what one you used.

Each person gets 5 practise laps in the car and one timed run that will count towards the leaderboard. Corner cutting will be discouraged. If you spin out on your timed lap, then you spin out. You will not get a do over. It's an honour system really. If you are found to be cheating you will be put on the List of Shame, you will however be protected by the AUP. No personal attacks will be made against you, you'll just be black listed and your time will not count. Plus you'll probably get a rep as a cheater...no one wants that.

Special Notes:
This is not really a competition, it's more of a way to get to know your fellow forum members. My goal is to connect the members to the game.

=========

Original post from 17 December 2007

This is an idea I threw around a couple weeks ago in a dead thread.

Since we all know that the Top Gear track is going to be included in GT5 I was wondering how the forum would feel about running our own Star in a Reasonably Price Car. Each week we could have a small interview of a couple questions that's posted and if we have the ability to save our replays and host them online, a video of the lap. So what do you guys think?

Yes I do realise this is a ways off, but it's better to get the planning stages out of the way early.

Last edited:
I love the idea. Would be cool if the Lacceti was on GT5!

Second Star: Father Christmas, also known as Santa Claus, also known as Nicholas Claus, Also Know as Chris Cringle, also known as Joly Saint Nick...

I'd be up for that, as you say, it's a long way off but it's a good idea.

sounds pretty fun, especially if you guys put on comments during the actual lap ;)

First Star: Jeremy Clarkson ;)

As Portrayed by YSSMAN.

I love the idea. Would be cool if the Lacceti was on GT5!

Second Star: Father Christmas, also known as Santa Claus, also known as Nicholas Claus, Also Know as Chris Cringle, also known as Joly Saint Nick...

Oh, geez, if we're all picking characters, I Might as well play Fox McCloud.

Yeah, I'd love to do it. Just send me that PS3 and we'll talk...

I've noted this thread and I will be more then happy to dig it up once we get some more information on a release date and what not. I'll also be more then happy to run the whole thing if need be.

You can use the stars in the GTP movie thread :)
A lot of people will have forgotten about that also in 1 years time.

Joey D, your a genius!!!.... 👍

Well I can't say how much I love this idea. It would be really fun if we can interview each other (especially on the webcam) and like show the replay of the lap, and if someone here knows how to do some video editing, we could redo some of the scenes like in Top Gear! :D

If I correctly understood you mean the described feature should have your own star as pilot driving in a pricecar?

I wouldnt need such a feature, Its always me that drives the car and I dont worship any stars; ''stars'' worthy of sitting in my own pricecar in GT5.

But a optional/selectable feature is never a mistake.

I think that it's more that we play a character and give our reviews as them...I don't know.

Such testing would be neat to test out all the starter cars, and find the fastest of them.

We'd all have to drive the same car.

Of course, I'm hoping there is something similar to the Chevy Lacatti they use in Top Gear now, if not it wouldn't be hard to find an average mid-sized family sedan.

-> I think it a very good idea.

-> The SRPC will be beneficial during meets at PS Home interface for fun within the sub-community like here in GTP. Not for serious types and online racing allowed. ;)

Since this is no longer way off I thought I'd throw this idea back out there.

I'm all for it. I'd imagine it could be similar to a series of interview style threads we had in the Rumble Strip a fair while back now, only with an added bit of competition.

Back