IMPORTANT - Event Creator, Will Improve The Career

DanielT-93 GTP_PedanticNerd
Count every single race, licence test and driving mission in GT4 and the total comes to over 600. That's one for every car in the game.

I doubt GT5 pushes that figure much past 250. That's at best one race per three or four cars. Not enough.

So what can be done?
First off, let's remember that, although short, GT5's career is complete in itself. Now that it's integrated, and for many people completed, adding to it would just make the event halls into a complicated mess.
No, the answer I think is simpler and much, much more versatile. Why did we get a course maker? Most probably because PD weren't confident enough with the track selection (though I think it's fine) and that was the most effective and efficient method of maximising (literally to infinity) that track selection. So let's take this idea further. Let's have an event creator.

Think about it. This caters for exactly, exactly what you enjoy. If you're an avid JGTC fan, then you can replicate the entire JGTC championship to exactly the same format (track limitations permitting). If slow-paced driving is more your thing, then you can centre your own unique extension to the career on, I dunno, Kei cars. More specifically, a one-hour endurance around Autumn Ring Mini especially for Kei cars. Or you could make a rally race (which have unexplainably been completely omitted from the main career).

Why is this important?
Well, GT5 contains 1,000 cars on 70 tracks. You're naturally going to have favourites. So you're naturally going to want to centre the career around your favourites.
And what about all those cars that are rendered useless because they don't fit a race event? Like the rally cars. Or the Ferrari F1 cars. Or the Kubelwagen, Schwimmwagen and Samba Bus. Or the Citroen 2CV. They don't have to be wasted.

How does this maintain a fair, balanced career?
Firstly, I don't believe prize money and experience will be a problem. They can be won from online races so the imbalance to the career can't be that bad. Obviously we'd have to let the system itself calculate the rewards. Setting them ourselves would make things easier to exploit.
What about prize cars? Well, this isn't so simple. Systems can get abused and expensive or rare cars can be endlessly duplicated. So don't give us prize cars. Simple. We can deal without, if it's for the cause of making the event creator fair.

So what should we be able to set?
-Name of race series, with custom description and logo (a choice from preset pictures or from photo mode is fine, with custom text. Aspect ratio would have to change for the display icon vs normal events, but that isn't a great problem)
-A/B-spec level required for event (higher level means greater reward and keeps the earlier career fair. Higher level also means the AI opponents become more advanced)
-Is the series a championship? (Yes/No)
-Number of races (slider from 1 to 10)
-Track and number of laps for each individual race (or set time limits for races; custom tracks must be selectable)
-Vehicle restrictions (all parameters from career itself are adjustable, plus HP and weight limits)
-Typical opponents (Don't have to obey restrictions, like in seasonal events)
-Number of opponents (1 to 15; more opponents means greater reward)
-Starting position (Further back means greater reward)
-Starting format (standing start or rolling start)

How many race series would we be allowed to make?
Putting a limit on how far you want to extend the playability and potential of your favourite game defeats the object. Save each event to the hard drive, like with custom tracks and photos. That way we can create as many as we have space for.

Can we play other peoples' race events?
You've got to! The ability to set just one race series to online is enough to allow all your friends to revel in your creativity.

What is the poster's purpose for this thread?
I should probably have made this clear at the start: This is not a rant. I love Gran Turismo and always will. Yamauchi-san and the entire PD development team have devoted the last decade or so to my personal entertainment, and I feel I owe them something in return.
This is an idea I've had for a while now, and more than anything I'd love to see it come to fruition. Not because I want fame and glory, but because it will expand the depth and playability of GT5 and the whole Gran Turismo series more than any other feature.

Please pass this message on. Show this thread to your friends and get the idea noticed.
If it's true than PD developers read these forums, then please take note of this idea. I stress again: this is a contribution, not a rant. It's my way of repaying the years of enjoyment you've given me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message. Post your opinions or contributions below and help get it noticed!

Last edited:
I would definitely love to see this. The equivalent - custom online races with AI - are what made up probably 80% of my Forza 3 playtime. Being able to enjoy the cars I want to drive on the tracks I want to race at the level of challenge I wantm and have it contribute towards my 'career' development (specifically buying more cars) was fantastic. The fact that it was less efficient than grinding other career races became irrelevant; rather than grinding, I was making steady progress by doing what was fun.

Khaddar, that's exactly my point!
Didn't realise this was available in Forza 3 though. Kaz, you've no excuses now! XD

Oh my god ... GT5 players design A-Spec events for the whole community - what an awesome idea! I was merely thinking of an offline event creator only for yourself, but this is so much better.

We need that! PD, pretty please?

Well you can't say it doesn't stand out now lol.
Thanks for support and advice, guys!

EDIT: maybe it stood out a bit too much... :L

Last edited:
I agree! Even if that is too hard, limit online racing to certain classes etc.. such as the likes of Forza just to govern the races and make money fair to win. This would vastly improve the game in my opinion if people want to race the X1 piece of crap what ever it's called then fine but race against other Red Bull machines.

Also no alloys on standard cars...why?

No ballast or NO2 or brake upgrades...why?

Re-win cars from chamionships...why not?

I agree. I would like to do something like this...

Signed. Irons

This is one fantastic idéa.

And ideally, you should be able to add the tracks you have made in your track editor. OR maybe even completely random tracks where you just pick the "theme" and such basic things(if you want) So its just pure excitement what you're gonna face when its done loading. (this "random track" is lacking in some of the A-spec events imo.)

I'm backing this suggestion up !

Khaddar, that's exactly my point!
Didn't realise this was available in Forza 3 though. Kaz, you've no excuses now! XD

Well, what Forza has doesn't go as far as your proposal - it's merely creating single races for yourself (although you can save the settings, making it pretty easy to set up whatever you want with a particular ruleset). It's not perfect, but it's certainly enough to add a lot of longevity to the game.

The big downside is that you need an active Live subscription to be able to use it, since it's classed as "online". At least PSN remains free.

What I really don't understand is why features like this - along with the ability to re-run any completed career event on a circuit of your choice, with proportional rewards - aren't included in both franchises. Neither are selling the sort of DLC which would be impacted by it, and even Forza isn't on a short enough development cycle for them to worry that it would reduce sales of the next installment.

Fantastic Idea, it will improve longevity to infinite!
I hope PD see that thread and take it in account for an incominc update!

Quite possibly one of the best ideas I've read. I support! I'm so lost in what to do.. I have all event completed except FGT... and I'm REALLY not into open wheeled cars /:
I want more... normal cars..

Excellent idea .... Little big planet pulled it off and it adds years of replay value so why not let the racers bring it to each other !!!! Keep it going:tup:

I am really liking this idea! I would be interested in creating a series of my own offline/online to share with friends. Either way I think you are really on to something here. Thanks for sharing.

I don't think it needs to be even this complicated, but yeah, an event generator is the only thing missing, for me.

Here's what I think we must have:

- Choose any car, any track (except maybe cars that don't allow dirt/snow tires)
- Decent Cr and Xp awards
- Slider for number of laps
- Slider for opponent difficulty

Beyond this, I don't care so much. Extra features are welcome, but not essential.

/signed

This would be a great feature.

I'm a little bored repeating the already golded races/series with differnt cars. I would like to drive new races tailored to a given race series like Nascars, Rally Cars, GT1, LMS, etc... and to normal cars like hatchbacks, roadsters and so on.

An event edior like this would guarantee long-term fun and create incentives to use more cars from your garage.

Hopefully someone from PD read this thread 👍

I would love something like this!

It would be great to be able to easily set up championships when racing splitscreen with friends at home. Also, offline timetrials with friends would be nice as well. Currently you just have your own personal leaderboard of 10 toptimes and that's it.

Wouldn't this basically be similar to Arcade with added XP/Credit rewards?
Kind of. This idea would incorporate creating complete race series and enable you to choose specific opponent cars with specific levels of tuning. It's like arcade with XP/credits, but fully configurable and built as a race series/championship with a specific subject. An A-Spec event creator with online-sharable events if you will.

Latest Posts

Back