A taste of GT5 online? I hope not...

• Thread starter Earth
  • 79 comments
GTP_Royalton
This video just gets worst and worst and worst. I don't even want to imagine the maniac behind the wheel. Maybe he just got done playing motorstorm for 12 hours straight? He seems to have the two games mixed up.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26968.html

He isn't playing online, but just like your typical "win at all cost" idiot you find on every competitive online game this guy goes all out to "win"

• Cutting the course in ways I didn't think possible

• Driving like a lunatic

• Slamming into cars at every possible opportunity.

• Look at 2:24 in the video. He even tries to run a car off the road for no apparent reason. Imagine that being you

Some are going to say right off the bat "League Race Only" But I'm sure everyone doesn't want to wait to race online just once a week.

We should have the freedom to race online vs decent competition.

That's why I propose PD implement all or some of the following in GT5 online

• Reputation system. Just like X-Box Live but for online racing. If somebody runs you off the road and drives like a total jerk, just give him a 1 star rating. Somebody races you and the track clean? Give them a 5 star rating. So when you host races you can put a rating limit LOCK on your race. You can only allow drivers rated 4 stars or higher into your race. Drivers rated bad will race with other idiots while clean drivers will race with other clean drivers.

• Deep penalty system for real time racing. Penalties for cutting the course (even at the non-obvious areas), penalties for contact with others, etc.

I don't know. After seeing that video I'm nearly speechless. I don't think GT5 online will be a total disaster, I just think every few races you're going to have the race either ruined or won by an idiot.

The good news is PD will most likely see this in GT5:P online and will see the need to do something to fix it for GT5:indiff:

haha, thats awesome ;p

i wouldnt worry to much though, driving like that does not give you fast lap times.. and i only rarely come across that on forza, where they just wait for you to complete a lap and try to hit you head on...

the majority of my races were clean and fun as long as we got through the first turn.

although with gt...if they can do 16 online, the first turn will be a slugger

but race with friends or some board members and im sure you will get great competition

Hahahahahaha! Funny how he almost lost in the end. *imitates Jeremy Clarkson* "LOOOOSSSSSSEEEERRRRRRR!!!"

That's why I propose PD implement all or some of the following in GT5 online

• Reputation system. Just like X-Box Live but for online racing. If somebody runs you off the road and drives like a total jerk, just give him a 1 star rating. Somebody races you and the track clean? Give them a 5 star rating. So when you host races you can put a rating limit LOCK on your race. You can only allow drivers rated 4 stars or higher into your race. Drivers rated bad will race with other idiots while clean drivers will race with other clean drivers.

• Deep penalty system for real time racing. Penalties for cutting the course (even at the non-obvious areas), penalties for contact with others, etc.

The problem with this though is if I can rate people I race, I'm assuming they can do the same. So I rate a piss-poor driver a 1... they'll do it back in retaliation. I'm under the impression there's a friend list, though, is there not? I'd rather just race with people from the numerous GT communities around the web, and I'm sure at least a few of us will be on at any given time. Perhaps an easier way to avoid people would have a constantly updated list, somewhere on the boards, blacklisting bad racers? I know, not a perfect solution, but it would warn others around here of poor players.

The penalty system must be making a comeback too... I'm sure Kaz and the gang can implement something related to vehicle speeds/angles for two cars involved in contact, and it could determine if it's just rubbing, or smashing. Give the one smashing a 5-second 50kmh limit and see how often people do it ;).

(EDIT) That video was edited a bit strangely; he knocks the Evo off course on one of the earlier turns, then it cuts to an angle of it infront of him again, then back to racing and he's behind...?

Well i hope that is just a test. I know PD somehow thought about giving a 5 second penalty like in GT4. But since this is online, they must have a good idea on how the game will be like. In many online games, you would have a server, then there would be rooms inside each server. The rooms are controlled to the players which makes the rooms and adjust how the gameplay would be like. (like a pit entry penalty, 10 laps, mild tire wear, etc...) So i see there is no problem playing online, just enter a room with the rules you want or create your own room......but then again, i haven't played online console games before and that the servers are open and that you won't know who you'll be racing.... :scared:

But as for the videos, well i may thing this is just a game testing to see the flaws of GT5:P demo. I got to say there is many flaws inside the video. The obvious one was that throughout the video, somehow i always hear that engine noise coming from the players car. As if the audio and the video doesn't match up. Sure you can hear other cars passing by, but you will still hear that certain engine note inside the video. The second thing is that the car doesn't seem to slow down as fast on the grass/ dirt like they would in real life. The last obvious one was at the end when the player was taking a shortcut at the casio triangle. There is one image which covers the actual view..... Well i know this is a demo and everything ain't that perfect. I might know as well that the GT5:P won't be perfect either. I just hope that PD may just realize these few flaws before moving onto another thing. GT may not be perfect, but i do really wish PD would lower their % of flaws in their games, i really would enjoy playing their game even more! :)

mnm_bmx
But as for the videos, well i may thing this is just a game testing to see the flaws of GT5:P demo. I got to say there is many flaws inside the video. The obvious one was that throughout the video, somehow i always hear that engine noise coming from the players car. As if the audio and the video doesn't match up. Sure you can hear other cars passing by, but you will still hear that certain engine note inside the video.

Rest assured, the sound problem is with the video, not the demo. I think it's sad that this is an official game trailers video. I don't think it's too far fetched to think they are trying to make a mockery of a GT5 in this video.

mnm_bmx
The second thing is that the car doesn't seem to slow down as fast on the grass/ dirt like they would in real life.

This racecar looses it's brakes and tries to cut a similiar 90 degree turn. The results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_QqlWGHqrE :ouch:

Things you can notice from the video are:

A. The grassy areas of tracks are not as smooth as they are in GT5. Making them more bumpier can detour course cutters

B. Grass does not slow you down dramaticly, but you do lose alot of grip, so the car should not turn properly at all

PD needs to make the grass more like real life to counter course cutters

mnm_bmx
The last obvious one was at the end when the player was taking a shortcut at the casio triangle. There is one image which covers the actual view..... Well i know this is a demo and everything ain't that perfect. I might know as well that the GT5:P won't be perfect either. I just hope that PD may just realize these few flaws before moving onto another thing. GT may not be perfect, but i do really wish PD would lower their % of flaws in their games, i really would enjoy playing their game even more! :)

I wonder what that image is about anyway, it looks identical to the track?

Rest assured, the sound problem is with the video, not the demo. I think it's sad that this is an official game trailers video. I don't think it's too far fetched to think they are trying to make a mockery of a GT5 in this video.
Well thats good news, i think. If it was taken from a gameshow i guess its just a kid playing it ;) But i bet they did that just to prove something.....
This racecar looses it's brakes and tries to cut a similiar 90 degree turn. The results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_QqlWGHqrE :ouch:

Things you can notice from the video are:

A. The grassy areas of tracks are not as smooth as they are in GT5. Making them more bumpier can detour course cutters

B. Grass does not slow you down dramaticly, but you do lose alot of grip, so the car should not turn properly at all

PD needs to make the grass more like real life to counter course cutters
Okay, that is just plain awful. Was the guy seriously hurt after that? Well about what i said earlier, the car should have lost control when they drove on the grass and maybe lose some speed when your on the dirt (like in normal situations) but they can just easily recover from the grass and back onto the track (which is quite unrealistic) but then again, what can you aspect from a video game?
I wonder what that image is about anyway, it looks identical to the track?
And this was the image i was talking about:

Took a screenshot. Looks really weird doesn't it?

I noticed this graphics glitche as well. Looks like that image is part of the railings running along that piece of grass. PD will fix things like this I don't doubt :)

As for the video itself. Yes it is worrying knowing that people will "race" like this once GT gets online play. However we just hope PD are able to prevent people doing this kind of thing and prevent spoiling others fun.

Im sure you will be able to turn collisions off - but your never going to stop someone cutting corners - in Forza 2 you usually can get a room full of serious racers rather than people who want to spoil a race but also sometimes you can get a room of people who want to just have a laugh - and i dont mind that either! its a game - you need to have fun!!

Great video, no really it is, someone needs to show this to PD as this guy driving was showing the problems with this game. Hats off to him, he shows the fact that you can bash another car out the way with no recourse on yours, you can cut the grass with hardly any loss of control or speed, you can drive into the back of other cars and not suffer any speed drop, gravel doesn't slow you down much when cut across at high speed and last but not least, the graphic glitch.

Watching that I was first like "wth is this guy doing?" then I saw what he was doing and immediately didn't like what I was seeing, not from the guys driving but from the fact none of it resulted in consequences or punishment to him!

[+]Note also the jump in windscreen and shadows that I have seen a few times at 2:04.

Well thats good news, i think. If it was taken from a gameshow i guess its just a kid playing it ;) But i bet they did that just to prove something.....

Okay, that is just plain awful. Was the guy seriously hurt after that? Well about what i said earlier, the car should have lost control when they drove on the grass and maybe lose some speed when your on the dirt (like in normal situations) but they can just easily recover from the grass and back onto the track (which is quite unrealistic) but then again, what can you aspect from a video game?

And this was the image i was talking about:

Took a screenshot. Looks really weird doesn't it?

I think those are glass mirror windows ;)

Im sure you will be able to turn collisions off - but your never going to stop someone cutting corners - in Forza 2 you usually can get a room full of serious racers rather than people who want to spoil a race but also sometimes you can get a room of people who want to just have a laugh - and i dont mind that either! its a game - you need to have fun!!

Good Call 👍

+ I hope you'll be able to setup closed races with just people from your Friends List.

I think he's running in "Standard" mode though, isn't he? I've seen this video on another forum and people there said you can't cut through the grass like that with "Professional" mode on.

Good Call 👍

+ I hope you'll be able to setup closed races with just people from your Friends List.

This would help to keep fools out of the serious racing tournments that I have no doubt will pop up online once we get hold of GT5:P and GT5.

This is definitely not simulation physics. The BMW is too loose in the back to pull that off. Plus, whenever I have gone off in the grass or gravel I tend to spin, rarely can I keep it straight like that.

For reasons like this, I want closed lobbies. Clan games, so to speak... For example, a lobby where only GTP members can join in and race, and each member must be approved by checking to make sure they're a member here. Personally, I can't think of a better group of people to race with than the folks right here on GTP. Largely because we seem to be the only ones who "get it", who understand what racing is all about. Because it sure as hell ain't what was in that video.

It's driving like that that makes me not want to race online at all, which is a pity.

Yhe if you can choose who you play against then that will be good, GTP races only, but they are going to make a team and club section in the game anyway so you can creat an online racing team. so should be fun.

Yeah, great idea about the GTP member only races. I am sure that no one here will act up like that. and if they do...get them reprimanded in the forums.

It'll be a lot easier to oust them, that's for sure.

Me, I'll race as well as I can on the honor system. If I brake late for a corner and accidentally run somebody off the track, I'll do my damndest to let them get back in front of me (after swearing profusely at my idiocy and then apologizing). I want to win, sure.. but I want to win fairly, on skill alone. I just hope I can race with people who think the same way. After all, this is racing... not demolition derby. :)

The problem with this though is if I can rate people I race, I'm assuming they can do the same. So I rate a piss-poor driver a 1... they'll do it back in retaliation. I'm under the impression there's a friend list, though, is there not? I'd rather just race with people from the numerous GT communities around the web, and I'm sure at least a few of us will be on at any given time. Perhaps an easier way to avoid people would have a constantly updated list, somewhere on the boards, blacklisting bad racers? I know, not a perfect solution, but it would warn others around here of poor players.

I think if there was a rating system that would help the problem, what you said like if a cheap driver is given a bad rating then he could do it right back, they could fix that by taking the "mode" rating. If you are rated 4 or 5 stars by everybody but this one cheap driver they could just filter out the 1 star and give you the 4 or 5. If the driver who is cheating gets all low ratings by all other drivers then they may be able to take away his rating capabilities or something like that. They do it in school, how if u get mostly good marks then a crappy mark, they will take the most common mark.

Atleast the video looked nice though.

YES YES YES!

As an option this is an absolute must, so is the ability to turn of car collisions... like offered in F1:CE. So when you are racing online with people you know, you can turn on the crash dynamics and have confidence no one is going to purposefully take you out, but also be able to turn it off when racing against unknowns so they can't take you out or use you to help them slow down.

For those that might not understand, I highly recommend you play F1:CE online with crash damage turned off and you'll see what I mean... it's actually a really great options that doesn't give a player an advantage by "bouncing" off other cars and thus using them to slow them down without fear of damage.

You don't even need visual damage to properly penalize a driver for reckless and illegal driving.

I don't know. After seeing that video I'm nearly speechless.
You should have seen some of the replays of the top lap times on GT:HD... crazy stuff that in any real race you would have either crashed out of the race in the first incident, or been black flagged and removed from the track.

I don't think GT5 online will be a total disaster, I just think every few races you're going to have the race either ruined or won by an idiot.
True, but they still better have race penalties and I seriously hope optional crash damage.

i wouldnt worry to much though, driving like that does not give you fast lap times..
Actually if you do it right (not properly of course as it is in my opinion VERY improper)[/i] then you can easily get the best lap times on GT4, Forza, GT:HD, Forza 2, and GT5:P Demo.. among others.

As mentioned earlier, if you watched the replays of the best times on GT:HD, almost all of them are cutting shortcuts and riding the invisible course walls to achieve completely unrealistic lap times. 👎

but race with friends or some board members and im sure you will get great competition
Quite true! There are already some really great online racing leagues for F1:CE, and when combined with a very realistic crash damage physics, it's a thrilling experience! 👍

Im sure you will be able to turn collisions off!!
I hope so!

but your never going to stop someone cutting corners - in Forza 2 you usually can get a room full of serious racers rather than people who want to spoil a race but also sometimes you can get a room of people who want to just have a laugh - and i dont mind that either! its a game - you need to have fun!!
All good points, and why giving the player options, rather than only having one way that everyone must race is the best way to handle this. 👍

lmfao, that was great. Even I don't drive that atrociously. But I can't imagine PD not putting in some sort of ranking system to prevent noobs/jerks from tainting a good driver's race.

Also, on an unrelated note, reflections on the cars look godly. But unfortunately, since you can now clearly make out the reflections, the fact that the cars don't appear in the reflections is going to be even more annoying than in GT4. Seriously, I'd lose races because I got too distracted thinking about the fact that my car isn't being reflected on the opponent's car. :P

I think that you should have to do a time trial or somthing to prove that you are a serious racer (call it a qualifier) before you are allowed to race.

I think that you should have to do a time trial or somthing to prove that you are a serious racer (call it a qualifier) before you are allowed to race.

That's a good idea. Maybe they can use the off-line license tests as a qualifier.

S License or higher for certain races, and if that is too easy then add how many golds you got in the license into the equation

That's a good idea. Maybe they can use the off-line license tests as a qualifier.

S License or higher for certain races, and if that is too easy then add how many golds you got in the license into the equation

IMO, that only promotes "elitism", having skills like Schumacher doesn't imply he won't act like an 455 online and vice versa. Also there are relatively new players who are not "skilled" and just trying to learn, this basically deny them a chance to be a better driver/player.

I am not saying people should tolerate 455h0135 like those, use the kick feature if they are told not to do something when they kept doing it, then promptly BL them and post their names on the forum so people can avoid them. This kind of problem happens very rarely with PC sims, but I know console is another ball game since there will be more 7 years old playing or they just act like one.

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that we'll be able to avoid the idiots just by setting up rules for the race itself. Most online games feature the ability to specify parameters that the race will be driven under. So we could lock in a race using Simulation physics and S2 tires. The idiots will join, sure, but they'll be left behind at Turn 1. The best way to get rid of them is to outdrive them. I remember seeing a PGR3 race way back, and there was one of these "win by knocking out all the opponents" people. About 1/3 of the way through the lap (at the 'Ring), the guy recording the video had pulled ahead to the point where the loser simply couldn't catch up, desite the fact that he was in a car that should have been significantly faster. So the recordist and one or two other drivers were able to complete the rest of the lap in relative peace.

you guys remember the special conditions races right? you cant win and get away with vehicular shinanigans when you are forced down to a slow speed for like five seconds.

Some are going to say right off the bat "League Race Only" But I'm sure everyone doesn't want to wait to race online just once a week.

As a member of a small PS2 on-line league, maybe about 15 active players at the start, we had more racing than we had time to play. If a larger group can't do the same thing, something is very wrong.

When they have spare time, some of the members enter any open room, when they feel like mixing with the plebes, and that way they find people of all talents, good and bad, but they do that knowingly, each time they enter an open room. If anyone can't stand a few scratches and dents (a few players will always go ballistic over small, unintentional things), don't enter open rooms, or at least remember what the poor hosts names and troublemaker players are. Seatbelts and airbags were put into real cars for a reason, but with good host controls, experienced hosts and once the players settle down, trust me, there will be far too many good rooms to worry about the bad rooms.

GT5 will have even more variety and millions of wannabe race car drivers coming out of their "GT closets" than most people can imagine, so the talent pool will be simply amazing to see at its zenith.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Back