◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,847 comments
I don't see a 911 GT3 RS with a full tubular steel roll cage in it's interior like the High End G37 has.

Oh no?
2010-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-Interior-1280x960.jpg

👍
Maybe we can all agree on this?? If the car isn't a production model, it's for "competition," any type of COMPETITION. IDK exactly what constitutes a production car in real life... I think Ill look it up... but if its not a production car, it's meant for competition. Who knows what that Trans Sexual(Cammer) is but it's not production. I think we can all agree on that?

Just because a car is made for competition that definitely doesn't constitute racing slicks.

lol that's for sure not a full cage, more of a very strong roll bar and chassis stiffener.

If we're talking purpose built I think something like this has more of a bearing on the decision.
gallery4.jpg

The pics I found on the Porsche website did not show that so I'm assuming it's probably aftermarket. Even if it is stock and the Porsche site just doesn't show it, it's still not a full cage like the G37 has in the game. This amounts to not much more than some chassis rigidity in the rear of the car. I'm sure there are some Porsches out there that have a full cage in them, but do they come from the manufacturer that way?

I need a frothy beer after going through and actually reading all of this. On a positive note, it is very good to see so many of us chiming jn with different ideas. That is how changes are made. On the idea of having one person to have the final say jn these matters, I'm for it, because someone always needs to be the bad guy within a situation to accelerate the process of how and when things are handled. That way, I'd know what tires to throw on my car when I get home from work to practice on.

Edit: I guess my phone mistakes i's for j's

I found another shot of the GT3 RS interior which leads me to believe that the cage is standard equipment. I'll agree that's it's not a full cage, but's a lot more than most cars have.

2011-porsche-911-GT3-RS-4-0-front-seating.jpg

One shot is the 3.8 the other is the new 4.0.

I volunteer for tech director. Dabney can co-direct with me if he likes since most of you know him better. I worked at a Porsche dealer service dept for awhile and did track days in a older 911 back when I could afford such things (and before I had kids). I also worked in motorcycle industry for 20 years as well.

I would volunteer for tech director and put my nearly 30 years of racing and mechanical experience to good use. The problem with this is my view is quite different from the direction that SNAIL seems to go in most times.

I don't know that we need some sort of technical director.
We've always had a sort of democratic melding of minds on previous issues. I think for the most part the debates are constructive, so long as no one gets to bullheaded to concede to a good point or valid idea. That said, I agree for the most part on the list and with bowler. We are not going to drift a drift car on Sunday. We are going to race. At the build point they are at, they only difference between drift and race is tires and a suspension tune. They are they are purpose built for on track motorsports.
I however would like to add to the debate, rally cars. They are built to be street legal, they must metro 100% of all local and federal emission and safety standards. They run a "stock" chassis. They are raced on tarmac tracks with street tires. All be it, as close to race as you can get for street. But all the same, the intent is street legal.

So rather than starting anymore argumentative things, who wants to practice tonight around ten pm eastern time? Let's just friggen race it up a bit, and eventually these valid arguments that have been brought up will be resolved.

I am in! I need to break in the new G27 that just got in today! Not sure how much of an adjustment will be from the 'toy like' wireless Logitech.

I just hope that we make in D1 or D3 since yesterdays room was a jungle war:drool: far from clean racing with a those Non-SNAILs in there 👎.

God I hope they do more different types of cars in 6 or come out with themed DLCs like BTCC, WTCC cars. Maybe V8 Supercars. And a NASCAR track pack or F1 track pack. But I think 6 is just gonna have a bunch of tracks and nothing different with the cars. Just updated models you know. If they do anything, I hope they come out with ALOT more DLCs for 5. Gran Turismo is like a Tool CD, you cant rush it =))

themed DLCs like that would be amazing! i hope they look at forums like this and see what the gamer wants! they have the technology to create the best racing/sim game so i hope they don't do a 'codemasters' and ruin the series because at the moment they seem to lack the ambition to create such a thing!

So rather than starting anymore argumentative things, who wants to practice tonight around ten pm eastern time? Let's just friggen race it up a bit, and eventually these valid arguments that have been brought up will be resolved.

where do you want to race tonight?

Wolfsatz
I am in! I need to break in the new G27 that just got in today! Not sure how much of an adjustment will be from the 'toy like' wireless Logitech.

I just hope that we make in D1 or D3 since yesterdays room was a jungle war:drool: far from clean racing with a those Non-SNAILs in there 👎.

The g27 takes some getting used to. I recommend dropping the ff to 4 till you get the hang of it. I run mine on seven now after about three weeks

One shot is the 3.8 the other is the new 4.0.

I volunteer for tech director. Dabney can co-direct with me if he likes since most of you know him better. I worked at a Porsche dealer service dept for awhile and did track days in a older 911 back when I could afford such things (and before I had kids). I also worked in motorcycle industry for 20 years as well.

I know, I was just showing that the cage is on the GT3 RS, regardless of engine.

I still don't think we need a technical director though.

There are a lot of things that are street legal that would suprise most of the people here. We used to drive our Winston West car up and down the street outside of our race shop. We would used D.O.T. approved tires and change nothing else. An officer pulled us over in it one time and tried to say that it wasn't street legal. He wrote out several tickets including not having working tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, head lights, and whatever else he could come up with. We had to show up in court with the motor vehicle code and show that none of these things are required to be on a car if they were not original equipment. A car that has no year and is no mass produced does not have to have any of these items on it. The only thing that is specifically required is D.O.T. approved tires, registration, and insurance.

We did have to pay the registration fee through DMV on the car to avoid a fine, but other than that, a full blown race car was and still would be street legal as long as you registered and insured it and put the right tires on it.

I would volunteer for tech director and put my nearly 30 years of racing and mechanical experience to good use. The problem with this is my view is quite different from the direction that SNAIL seems to go in most times.

I second this nomination because he has experience. I don't agree with two co Tech directors.

If the job of the technical director would be interpreting the rules, as opposed to setting them (which we would do as we do now, via debate), then I don't have a problem with that. It seems that what those calling for this position are asking for is someone who can make quick rulings on ambiguous rules. If we don't like the tech director's ruling, we can always change the rules later, much as Congress does to the Supreme Court. Or something.

All hypothetical, and for the sake of argument, of course. I'm not yet convinced we need such a position, but if we end up with one, it wouldn't bother me if that person tended to disagree with me, as long as they had some rational basis for their rulings (as someone with your experience would).

My $0.02 anyway.

Wolfsatz

That was a little painful wasn't it!

Last edited:
zeromisfit999
The g27 takes some getting used to. I recommend dropping the ff to 4 till you get the hang of it. I run mine on seven now after about three weeks

From controller to G27 I agree! From DFGT to G27 , not that bad. A 4 or 5 FF setting is good to start. I have mine now at 9 FF.

I still don't think we need a technical director though.

👍

Maybe we can just go by the rules and if, by the rules, a car is required to have racing tires, we vote on whether or not to change to just sport softs. Or which ever other tire which we can vote on that too

Maybe not a technical director but someone to say, "these are the rules, follow them as they are written" If there is a problem with a rule it can be discussed and changed to be efffective on a Monday instead of discussing and waiting to see if a change is going to be made, and what that change will be just a couple of days ahead of a race.

Zero, has this been claimed? If not, I would gladly accept it as I don't have this one .👍

Wolf, Have you got this car already? If not, send me an FR and I'll get it to you. It'll have my paint scheme on it, so you'll have to spackle your colors on it, but, it will be broken in. Got about 20 laps left to go in break in run now so will be about another 45 minutes to an hour before I can send it. I'll even give it a wash, erl and chassis job 'fore I send it.

Wolf, Have you got this car already? If not, send me an FR and I'll get it to you. It'll have my paint scheme on it, so you'll have to spackle your colors on it, but, it will be broken in. Got about 20 laps left to go in break in run now so will be about another 45 minutes to an hour before I can send it. I'll even give it a wash, erl and chassis job 'fore I send it.

Christmas in September! Thanks, FR sent. 👍

Wow, you're really selling Kentucky on that one.

LOL

Not originally from KY but have been here since '92. If'n I wuz frum OK, I'd be a tellin' him ta put tars on 'is car and dun ferget ta put lots a tire on his ruf.

Christmas in September! Thanks, FR sent. 👍

Accepted. 14 more laps on break in run.

I think we already have all of the technical directors that we need. If there's an issue, throw it to the Stewards. Call them a democratic representative of the Snails. (I don't just say this because I am one)

Wow, you guys still arguing over tires, I think I said something about it almost 12 hrs ago... I've moved on, and I think we all should move on. This Sunday, the FT-86 G will be ran on M.S., and I think any further discussion should be done amongst the Stewards in the Stewards Forum, and lets talk about other things, like practice tonight... Where will it be held tonight?

Back