1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,431 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
I've seen a few of the Back to the Future DeLoreans in 3 packs over here in Australia (In fact most new models are released in 3 packs before they are released as single cars). I didn't buy one of the three packs but I might just be kicking myself for not getting one, just like with the Ghostbusters car (I saw one of these on the weekend Big W had the 5 cars for $5 deal... and didn't buy it).
Friday, I saw two packs at Toys 'R' Us, which I had never seen before. My brother, who's also looking for the same car, told me that Toys 'R' Us had really good selection, so I decided to venture over there. They had bunch of normal DeLorean, but no Back to the Future. :crazy:

I need a info.....

So I'm still coming up empty on the Back to the Future DeLorean car. This is supposedly a new 2011 model car, but how long can you expect to see them in stores?

Also, because this is a Back to the Future car, is it safe to assume that it's a limited run model? Reason why I ask, when I was looking for the Ghostbuster's car last year, I found absolutely "zero". If it weren't R1600 helping me with one, I'd never even have even seen one.

It would be cheaper & easier to buy one on eBay, but I have this "principle" thing. I just hate scalping, and I'm trying my best not to contribute to it. :P

It's no limited run, it's a mainline car just like the Ecto 1 was and the Kitt Trans Am will be later in the year. The problem is, as you said, that the scalpers grab all they see and resell them. You'll have to be lucky or have a friend help you with one if you want to see one of those in your hands. Keep looking.

It's no limited run, it's a mainline car just like the Ecto 1 was and the Kitt Trans Am will be later in the year. The problem is, as you said, that the scalpers grab all they see and resell them. You'll have to be lucky or have a friend help you with one if you want to see one of those in your hands. Keep looking.
OK. :crazy: :lol: I'll keep trying until I get lucky! sounds familiar....

Thanks for the info. 👍

I got three Back to the Future DeLoreans today..... from a online seller. :lol:

I kept looking, looking, looking, and I finally got tired of it. First I looked on eBay, but they wanted too much money for a hotwheel. I googled online, then I stumbled onto a site called The Toy Peddler. At first, I thought I might get taken for a ride. It's a eBay type site, but just cheaper looking. Found a seller with good feedback record selling three DeLoreans for $9.99($5 of it for shipping), I took it. Considering the amount of time, energy & gas I was gonna waste for three more(1 for my brother, 1 for my work, 1 to stash), I figured it actually was a good deal. :D

As for the models, I must say, the Ghostbuster's is way cooler. I'm still happy with the purchase though. Countless time, energy & gas I had already wasted not finding any, not so much!

dude, you NEVER go looking for little toy cars in a car. EVER. You walk, you take the cheapest possible bus and go to a place where there are several supermarkets more or less close, and focus on it. You enter and leave in 2-3 minutes if there is nothing.

That said, nice buy, three for 10 bucks seems fair. The thing still hasn't showed up in Mexico.

:lol:

But it doesn't work that way around here, at least not in my neighborhood. Three big chain department to grocery store types, they have tons of hotwheels. They are reasonable distance from my apartment(around 5 minutes drive), but none of them are close to each other Toys "R" Us store is actually closer to me than any of them, but again, it's not nearby any other stores.

I whined about gas, but gas alone wasn't really that bad. It's more collectively with the time, energy, yada yada yada. I think all this looking around scarred me though. I feel like I don't ever want go look for another hotwheel. I was never that good at dealing with rejections. :lol:

Finally able to secure both! :D

Ferrari 458 Italia

IMG_0135.JPG

Tyrrell P34

IMG_0137.JPG

I used to have 100's of Hot Wheels cars, until I destroyed them all when I was 10, around 3 years ago.

I wish I didn't do that, but my stupid 10 year old mine got the best of me :lol:

I used to have 100's of Hot Wheels cars, until I destroyed them all when I was 10, around 3 years ago.

I wish I didn't do that, but my stupid 10 year old mine got the best of me :lol:

Same here!

Shame, I destroyed a lot of valuable cars that time... Including this very good looking Fed-Ex courier truck :(

Including this very good looking Fed-Ex courier truck :(

You wouldn't happen to remember who manufactured that truck would you?

I love that 458 Italia but I'm curious as to why they didn't tampo the prancing horse on the rear end boot lid. All my Hotwheels and Matchbox cars from when I was a kid are in very good condition, I didn't really smash stuff up.

Robin.

You wouldn't happen to remember who manufactured that truck would you?

I love that 458 Italia but I'm curious as to why they didn't tampo the prancing horse on the rear end boot lid. All my Hotwheels and Matchbox cars from when I was a kid are in very good condition, I didn't really smash stuff up.

Robin.

I am very sure it's a Hot Wheels but I was dumb enough to just smash anything, and it looks like this:

jcMz.jpg

Also just realised there's no Ferrari badge at the back. Perhaps because since the badge in the real one is in silver and too small, so they left it out?

I am very sure it's a Hot Wheels but I was dumb enough to just smash anything,

Oh right, I thought you might have been talking about the FedEx one I have, here's a quick snap I just took. Its quite an old model. :)

Also just realised there's no Ferrari badge at the back. Perhaps because since the badge in the real one is in silver and too small, so they left it out?

Seems odd because the bonnet badge is just as small and they did that one, maybe its cost or something.

Robin.

Last edited:
Seems odd because the bonnet badge is just as small and they did that one, maybe its cost or something.

Robin.

Well normally the Hot wheels cars and Matchbox cars don't have the tampo's or stickers on more than three sides. On the Ferrari there's some on the frond and one on the left and right side. Actually it may even be only two sides as the left and right side are usually the same just mirrored.
It has something to do with the machines they use. Not 100% sure though.

And there are obviously exceptions to this rule (Matchbox Audi r8)

Same here!

Shame, I destroyed a lot of valuable cars that time... Including this very good looking Fed-Ex courier truck :(

I destroyed a Porsche RC car worth over £150. I put my brothers teddy in it and set it on fire back when I was 8, good times.

My story's worse. It was beyond my control, and every little boy's nightmare scenario.

I had this big basket full of mostly tomicars(Japanese hotwheels) + some random smaller diecasts. One day I come home...... gone. My mom had thrown them out. I still consider that an criminal act!

My story's worse. It was beyond my control, and every little boy's nightmare scenario.

I had this big basket full of mostly tomicars(Japanese hotwheels) + some random smaller diecasts. One day I come home...... gone. My mom had thrown them out. I still consider that an criminal act!

Wow, that is pretty damn criminal. I dont know what I would have done if something like that happened, but fortunately my mom and dad always knew that my toys were MY toys, so they never threw anything away unless I said they could. This leds me to having most of my child-time cars still with me, even if they are incredibly worn. Restoration process will come for most of them with time... or so I hope.

EDIT: In fact, I'll show you one that I just took out of the "project" box, a Hot Wheels Lambo Countach that I bought new in the early 90s and... well, lets just say I enjoyed quite a lot. Black and red marker was put there by me as well. This will be getting a full black paintjob soon, along with some star-shaped wheels that look like Speedlines (will be gold or bronce), that are very wide, to compensate for the really deep fenderwells. 'Sides, I can't use it's stock wheels anymore, they have red clay in them:

countach.jpg

I'll show you all the progress of the thing as it goes by, It may take a while as I'm busy with another project, a Majorette Alpine that'll have a V12 in the rear. I'll show you soon (:

Last edited:
Can someone tell me why Hotwheel's do half and full height cards? Also is there any reason to pick one or the other? Thanks

Wow, that is pretty damn criminal. I dont know what I would have done if something like that happened, but fortunately my mom and dad always knew that my toys were MY toys, so they never threw anything away unless I said they could. This leds me to having most of my child-time cars still with me, even if they are incredibly worn. Restoration process will come for most of them with time... or so I hope.

EDIT: In fact, I'll show you one that I just took out of the "project" box, a Hot Wheels Lambo Countach that I bought new in the early 90s and... well, lets just say I enjoyed quite a lot. Black and red marker was put there by me as well. This will be getting a full black paintjob soon, along with some star-shaped wheels that look like Speedlines (will be gold or bronce), that are very wide, to compensate for the really deep fenderwells. 'Sides, I can't use it's stock wheels anymore, they have red clay in them:
I do have couple of diecast cars from when I was a toddler(we are talking 70's here). They survived, because they were the one's that my granddad bought me, and they stayed there until he passed away. One of them is a cool Lamborghini Miura. If I could keep one diecast car, it'd be it.

I like the cast on your Countach. Very realistic figure, don't you think?

I do have couple of diecast cars from when I was a toddler(we are talking 70's here). They survived, because they were the one's that my granddad bought me, and they stayed there until he passed away. One of them is a cool Lamborghini Miura. If I could keep one diecast car, it'd be it.

I also still have a few surviving diecast cars from way back. One of them is a Solido BMW CLS that I really really like. Unfortunately I destroyed so many others!

I like the cast on your Countach. Very realistic figure, don't you think?

Does that Miura hapens to be a Lesney, like mine?

lesney10.jpg

It will also see resoration I hope pretty soon.

And yes, the HW Countach is pretty good, it's only problem was the way deep fenderwells a nd the fact that HW didn't have any wide wheels at the time it was produced.

Does that Miura hapens to be a Lesney, like mine?

It will also see resoration I hope pretty soon.

And yes, the HW Countach is pretty good, it's only problem was the way deep fenderwells a nd the fact that HW didn't have any wide wheels at the time it was produced.
I'm pretty sure it's not. I know it's not Tomica(popular Japanese brand) or anything like that either. I want to say that I think I remember reading on the bottom of the model that it was made in Hong Kong, but again, I don't remember for sure. I'll try to dig it up next few days.

Can someone tell me why Hotwheel's do half and full height cards? Also is there any reason to pick one or the other? Thanks

I'm not sure but the other day, I saw both GTR R34 in half and full height cards but there doesn't seem to be any difference to the car. Here in Malaysia, all Hot Wheels are sold in full height cards and even if you spotted one, you're considered as one of the luckiest :P

Simply, the difference between these two cards is that long cards are typically sold in the United Stated, while short cards are International cars, more common in Europe and other export countries from what I was told.

All the rare cars I've ever gotten were those half height cards.

I was trying to find the Miura, but it seems I misplaced it. :P

But in the plastic tote I had marked "models", I found these:
dscn0607i.jpg

Bugatti seem to have sold on eBay as high as $40-somethin', as low as five bucks, but generally little over $10. Strato's worth maybe couple of bucks, which is just wrong!
dscn0608j.jpg

Like the Bugatti, these are also worth some money. R1600(member) told me about the Trueno before. Can't remember, but I think they could go as high as $30? I think the Bond 2000GT & hakosuka GTR's worth about $10.
dscn0609b.jpg

Hakosuka & original Celica ChoroQ/Penny Racer. Very old school, very cool.
dscn0610z.jpg

Two more mini diecast, which were rescued along with the Miura. Can't find the Miura, but I find these two. :lol:

Considering I had no idea I had these, very cool find. :lol: Also found 1/24 scale Initial D Trueno. This was another clearance I paid nothing on. I'm gonna go see if that one's worth any money. :D

Stopped by WalMart today for some things and picked up a few cars. A Hotwheels racing Mustang, Fisker Karma Matchbox, and the new Holden Ute Matchbox which is very cool. Also cool that Matchbox have been lowered to .78 cents. 👍

Stopped by WalMart today for some things and picked up a few cars. A Hotwheels racing Mustang, Fisker Karma Matchbox, and the new Holden Ute Matchbox which is very cool. Also cool that Matchbox have been lowered to .78 cents. 👍

Pictures or it didn't happen! I MUST GO SHOPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure but the other day, I saw both GTR R34 in half and full height cards but there doesn't seem to be any difference to the car. Here in Malaysia, all Hot Wheels are sold in full height cards and even if you spotted one, you're considered as one of the luckiest :P

Simply, the difference between these two cards is that long cards are typically sold in the United Stated, while short cards are International cars, more common in Europe and other export countries from what I was told.

All the rare cars I've ever gotten were those half height cards.

Thanks for the replies 👍

When I have been traveling in Asia all I have ever seen is long cards but in the UK it seems I've only seen short ones so now it makes sense. Seems kinda odd that there are two sizes, maybe its to save on shipping costs. I've got to decide which size I want to continue with!

Regarding the Countach on the previous page heres my 1985 Matchbox one (Countach LP5000S). I think they have done a decent job with the accuracy (filling the wheel arches etc) but I can't gauge whether this one or the HW one is more realistic. I love the side profile door curve.

63328656.jpg

Whilst rummaging around I found this cool patrol car... I think its from the early 90's.

75248863.jpg

Last edited:
I have that yellow one, I find them pretty cute.

You have the Yellow one too? It's my favorite :).

Some of my old Hotwheels and Majorette toy cars I used to play with as a child.

Ferrari Testarossa

img0393f.jpg

Some Ferrari Race-car

img0396gj.jpg

Ferrari F40

img0397zk.jpg

Mazda RX-7 (FB3S)

img0402rj.jpg

Porsche 911 1987 Model

img0400n.jpg

Lamborghini Countach

img0401.jpg