2014 North America Discussion (US & Canada)

• Thread starter scca_ziptie
  • 1,618 comments
I have just learned that Canada is for the first time included in GT Academy. This is great news for some people (I'm thinking particularly Turismo-lester) but I know many guys will show up from other games and do well too.

BUT

Quebec is not allowed? Really? That part removes any part of happiness I would have in me because guess what? Yeah I am from Quebec and only because of a stupid law, I am prevented from having a chance to chase my life long dream! I don't know what that law or rule is but I know it is stupid and really frustrating. But anyways I guess everyone has seen enough whining and crying about countries or regions being excluded that until Quebec is allowed, I am not going to post anything related to GT Academy other than good lucks and motivation messages to my friends who will race.

Hotel in Ottawa? If you live in Hull, just fib about your postal code? I'm not sure about what they mean, but Canadian citizens aren't forced to live in one province or another... ;) you know that already, don't you?

I have just learned that Canada is for the first time included in GT Academy. This is great news for some people (I'm thinking particularly Turismo-lester) but I know many guys will show up from other games and do well too.

BUT

Quebec is not allowed? Really? That part removes any part of happiness I would have in me because guess what? Yeah I am from Quebec and only because of a stupid law, I am prevented from having a chance to chase my life long dream! I don't know what that law or rule is but I know it is stupid and really frustrating. But anyways I guess everyone has seen enough whining and crying about countries or regions being excluded that until Quebec is allowed, I am not going to post anything related to GT Academy other than good lucks and motivation messages to my friends who will race.

Im in the same boat mate, when i first read Canada was allowed i was shocked and excited then saw Quebec was excluded :lol:
I think its related to winning prizes from another country being illegal or something like that...

ill still try the timetrial though, might give me motivation this year to run a little more, even if we still cant win anything, will give a more accurate idea where we stand in Canada. :)

Best of luck to all Canadians! :cheers:

Looks like I've missed a lot. :lol:

Ah. 2014. Time to show the world how much I've improved since last year's successful attempt. I honestly feel that I could be a serious threat to the top 50 in the world if I put in enough effort. Also, Canada is in?? Hey @iGoFast, your wish came true!! :D

2012 was two weeks, 2013 was four, don't know about previous years. We'll just have to wait and see for
this year, because it seems to constantly change format and duration... :rolleyes::banghead::lol:

So does that mean this year will be six weeks? :P lol probably not.

My prediction for this year is that everyone in the US will be trying to see how close they can get to Doodle :)
Don't know if he is old enough for the finals yet though.

Yeah I can confirm that I'm still not old enough. Not sure if we would all be chasing me, but I have a lot more confidence I'll be at least top 3 in the region since I'm using the wheel now. :)

BUT

That really sucks about the Quebec laws, they are just messed up 👎 I know you've been waiting such a long time for this and to see your province excluded is pretty damn heartbreaking. Though I'm actually not surprised that was gonna happen.

From what I read, the deal with Quebec not being allowed, is that it has a specific set of laws regarding competition prize money, whereby the people running the competition have to go through various checks and re-checks about winners etc. On top of that, I believe (may have mis-interpreted) Quebec demands 5-10% of the value of the prize donated to itself, or its residents. Seems really kinda confusing, and might be slightly wrong, but the basic idea is, they make it a no-brainer for competitions with high value prizes to exclude it.

^ apologies if it's not all correct just what I could pick up from reading.

I'm wondering how high up in the SNAIL division the finalists were last year. I assume everyone was D1? The league has really grown since then so it probably wouldn't be an accurate measure anyways. I ranked in the top 1000 last year and have been racing SNAIL ever since...with a wheel this time. Here's to hoping a D4 can make it...

Is it really starting this early? Wonder where they'll be hosting Finals this time around. I can pretty much throw Vegas out of the mix because it's too damn hot for anything until November.

(unless they want to torture the contestants this year)

If it's a similar format, I'll set a time but if they e-mail me for Finals, very likely I'll turn it down. This contest isn't meant for me; I don't have access to what I need to have a chance.

For anyone else that believes they have a shot, here's my advice:

1. If you haven't gotten seat time recently, get it NOW. I cannot stress this enough. Quicken your shifts, practice launches, run slaloms, do whatever it takes to improve driving a car at high speed. Otherwise, you'll be on TV for the wrong reasons.

2. Get some karting under your belt. No guarantees they'll have it again this year but better to be safe than having to run a race for a Silverstone spot cold.

3. As for racing in GT6, practice just enough to be competent. With the revised structure, virtual racing takes a backseat to everything else.

4. If you're not comfortable being on camera, get accustomed to it in whatever way possible. This was part of the scoring component last year and it wouldn't surprise me if they expand it so that you're required to do a mock post-race interview or something related to that.

5. Hope you're physically fit by now because they might start doing those type of challenges during the Finals. Even if not, work your tail off.

6. Expect the unexpected. The organizers may have some unexpected curveballs.

Yes, hopefully I can go for the fastest Canadian and top 32 in North America! Here I come! Ahaha
No pressure, but we're all counting on you:cheers:

Flag with Beaver running.jpg

say at what time will gt academy start? because the there's a psn maintenance starting from 6:50 to 11: 50

Looks like I've missed a lot. :lol:

Ah. 2014. Time to show the world how much I've improved since last year's successful attempt. I honestly feel that I could be a serious threat to the top 50 in the world if I put in enough effort.
I bet you will have no problem getting in the top 50, I was 68th world wide last year with not a lot of effort. I'm going to bet you will even be in the top 25:tup:
Sucks for the Quebec guys, Mike and Lapierre would be in easy.:nervous:

Hotel in Ottawa? If you live in Hull, just fib about your postal code? I'm not sure about what they mean, but Canadian citizens aren't forced to live in one province or another... ;) you know that already, don't you?
i think that should work actually.

what makes you a resident of a province, the address right? if that's the case then come to ontario and rent a room or apartment for a month, change your address and you should be in, just bring your tv ps3 and gt6 :)

Hmm.. i skipped last year and uncertain if i'm gonna try this year again. It would involve buying a ps3, a copy of gt6 (that i'll never play again afterwards). The only thing i'd really be after is the free trip to nationals depending on were it is being held. At my age and my point in life racing professionally would really put a strain on my relationship. Especially considering the winners really don't get paid a wage technically. Who knows though maybe i'll give y'all a run for your money. ;)

Yea, it's the only reason why I've held on to my PS3 and GT6. Not that I'm actually thinking that I'm going to try and win, but rather just for fun of the competition. Even if I did make the finals, I couldn't go as I've had family vacation planned for the first week in June. That and I'm too old and out of shape to run with the youngsters. Taxes another thing. These prizes typically end up costing you so much as to question whether it's even worth it. Like when AJ, Viking and General won the Forza/Audi competition prize of a trip to the 24hrs of LeMans. Taxes on that were so bad on that only one actually went.

Anyways, looking forward to some serious hotlapping though. Been a while. Hopefully I can develop my GT pace as I go.

Back