2014 North America Discussion (US & Canada)

• Thread starter scca_ziptie
  • 1,618 comments
For those who are more serious about this competition, it'd be worth trying to get in in Ontario.

For me, it wouldn't be worth it... And I'm already currently in Ontario for college.

Yay Canada is in except that special province of Quebec eh :). Now I can officially be not fast enough eh :) Good speed to all the Canadian entrants 👍 :gtpflag:

Along with what outlaw was saying - go autocross if you have zero real world (performance) driving experience. Preferably a beginner/novice school for first event. The lower speeds, tight corners and different elements (slalom, chicago boxes, etc) make it a great learning tool. If you have the money I'd spring for track days too, obviously. At least a couple of events so you get used to what it feels like to REALLY push a car. The more the better though. If you can do this in a 370Z, great, if not - don't worry. Any well balanced front engine/rear wheel drive car handles about the same as long as the owner hasn't ruined it with terrible coilovers/spring rates. I've driven Miata's/BRZ's/370z and no ****, they all feel mostly the same. Sure their dimensions are different, the Z is much heavier than a Miata, but has more power, etc but you'll still get the overall same feel. I just co-drove a friends BRZ this past weekend and threw him $20 for tires/gas. Not even a $100 weekend after entry fee, food and what not. Can't beat that. Once you're used to driving fast, one of the best things I can stress learning is: Not overdriving. I did it at Silverstone, I still do it now even though I know better. Beat that through your skull and you'll go far.

On the fitness front, it's not hard to be in good shape for GT Academy standards. A basic PT regimen should be plenty pending on the condition of fellow contestants. Some running, pushups, situps, etc multiple times per week similar to military standards. Want to go a little beyond that, something like p90x should help. Want to go full on beastmode, join a crossfit box (been doing it almost 6 months now and me now could kick the **** out of me from GTA2012). Of course, some of this is dependent on where you're starting from. If you're coming from the couch and thinking fitness could actually be a factor in elimination, I'd start figuring out how to go beastmode stat. It's just one less thing to worry about if you're in better than average shape and can eliminate that as a factor.

Along with what outlaw was saying - go autocross if you have zero real world (performance) driving experience. Preferably a beginner/novice school for first event. The lower speeds, tight corners and different elements (slalom, chicago boxes, etc) make it a great learning tool. If you have the money I'd spring for track days too, obviously. At least a couple of events so you get used to what it feels like to REALLY push a car. The more the better though. If you can do this in a 370Z, great, if not - don't worry. Any well balanced front engine/rear wheel drive car handles about the same as long as the owner hasn't ruined it with terrible coilovers/spring rates. I've driven Miata's/BRZ's/370z and no ****, they all feel mostly the same. Sure their dimensions are different, the Z is much heavier than a Miata, but has more power, etc but you'll still get the overall same feel. I just co-drove a friends BRZ this past weekend and threw him $20 for tires/gas. Not even a $100 weekend after entry fee, food and what not. Can't beat that. Once you're used to driving fast, one of the best things I can stress learning is: Not overdriving. I did it at Silverstone, I still do it now even though I know better. Beat that through your skull and you'll go far.

On the fitness front, it's not hard to be in good shape for GT Academy standards. A basic PT regimen should be plenty pending on the condition of fellow contestants. Some running, pushups, situps, etc multiple times per week similar to military standards. Want to go a little beyond that, something like p90x should help. Want to go full on beastmode, join a crossfit box (been doing it almost 6 months now and me now could kick the **** out of me from GTA2012). Of course, some of this is dependent on where you're starting from. If you're coming from the couch and thinking fitness could actually be a factor in elimination, I'd start figuring out how to go beastmode stat. It's just one less thing to worry about if you're in better than average shape and can eliminate that as a factor.

I see some of the stuff you do on facebook. When you say beastmode, you really mean beastmode.

I see some of the stuff you do on facebook. When you say beastmode, you really mean beastmode.

Hahah. For example, today = dead. My back is angry.

For Time: (25 Min Cap)
70 Jumping Lunges
60 Pullups
50 Burpees
40 Wallballs 20lbs
30 Deadlifts 225lbs
20 Hand stand push-ups

Ok, I'll stop spouting crossfit propaganda :P

I forgot the most important tip of all. Yes, this is a SERIOUS opportunity, but have some friggin' fun!

Hahah. For example, today = dead. My back is angry.

For Time: (25 Min Cap)
70 Jumping Lunges
60 Pullups
50 Burpees
40 Wallballs 20lbs
30 Deadlifts 225lbs
20 Hand stand push-ups

I forgot the most important tip of all. Yes, this is a SERIOUS opportunity, but have some friggin' fun!
Jeez man that's insane. I've started some crossfit stuff recently and I can vouch it ain't easy :lol:. Here I'm lucky to be able to do 30 jumping lunges and you're doing 70??? Agh, that's impressive. I won't even touch on the hand stand push-ups... impressive stuff, sir 👍

Jeez man that's insane. I've started some crossfit stuff recently and I can vouch it ain't easy :lol:. Here I'm lucky to be able to do 30 jumping lunges and you're doing 70??? Agh, that's impressive. I won't even touch on the hand stand push-ups... impressive stuff, sir 👍

As they say, you get out what you put in! 5 months ago I would have looked at that workout and said "Impossible." And it would have been at the time, even with scaling. One day at a time, stick with it. Ok, I'll try to stop derailing...I promise.

Listen to this man here! Have some fun.

Also, for fitness I decided to get into crossfit awhile back (like Mr. Scooty here) because it kicked my ass more than anything I'd done before. It definitely helped me improve and improve quickly along with the training program I have when I'm in the UK. If you're not into that then really work on doing an hour of cardio every other day or every day even with 140-150bpm. This is what I train at since this is about the range my heart rate is at in the car.

I ran the GT3 car a couple months ago and was actually sore and tired after three 20 minute sessions. I ran Monza this weekend for a total of 60 minutes in the car during the race and found it quite easy as far as fitness goes. But, it really does matter and they will take notice of your fitness so get working on it now if you think you can make it to Silverstone.

So from the images on page 2, where the image shows the Leaf in the garage and says "Round 1 starts 4/21, Round 2 5/5", etc, does that mean Round 1 = "make the leaf accelerate" and Round 2 is "complete a lap in silvia in under 3 hours" and then similar round 3, and finally Round 4 (meaning the actual round) starts in June, or is this a knock out competition?

Whipped up a little something for the OP.

I made this map of Canada for the article on the GTP blog but we weren't able to use it, may as well put it to use here. Combined it with a map of the US and a bit of flair.

mKxEjHP.png

P.S: Don't show this to kids, it'll corrupt their minds. And don't share it on Facebook because people will start sharing it saying Canada's separating from the US mainland. shhhhhhhhhhh

Whipped up a little something for the OP.

I made this map of Canada for the article on the GTP blog but we weren't able to use it, may as well put it to use here. Combined it with a map of the US and a bit of flair.

mKxEjHP.png

P.S: Don't show this to kids, it'll corrupt their minds. And don't share it on Facebook because people will start sharing it saying Canada's separating from the US mainland. shhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks @Wardez, added it to the OP. :cheers:

EDIT: Hey guys, I just thought of something. If the rules are still the same in that the past Academy finalists are not eligible, I think we should start our list now of people that are not eligible this time around to avoid any confusion later on down the road. If there is a place where this info is easily obtainable, then please point me to it and I'll start a list in the OP. If the rules have changed in that regard, then just disregard this edit. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

EDIT: Hey guys, I just thought of something. If the rules are still the same in that the past Academy finalists are not eligible, I think we should start our list now of people that are not eligible this time around to avoid any confusion later on down the road. If there is a place where this info is easily obtainable, then please point me to it and I'll start a list in the OP. If the rules have changed in that regard, then just disregard this edit. Thanks guys.

The ranked lists from last years GTAcademy haven't been available online for many months. Unless someone has saved screen shots, I doubt this information is easily accessible. I suppose one could rewatch the GTAcademy series from TV and record last years finalists (for those they highlighted), but I don't know about previous years.

I think there's a list in last year's thread's OP. Unfortunately, I can't remember who's ineligible from 2013 beyond GumballCGT, but S.N.A.I.L should have a partial list for you. :)

Edit: Last year's finalists from OP: LVracerGT, GumballCGT, JoeyFast22, Brianm3, reude108, martin20az, smeadow99, GTP_SOHNVONSTIG, GTP_iamsupernasty, clin09duke, Hillracing, TRC_LoCoArMeN

The rest need sorting manually.

TRC_LoCoArMeN is actually eligible this year I think because his passport or something didn't come in time and he was unable to go to Silverstone.

Holy crap I can't believe it. Dreamed of and prepared for this chance for so long it's sad! My heart goes out to all the QC guys, that truly sucks. You guys (especially lapierre) are easily among the very best in NA and totally deserve a shot. I'll do you proud ;)

I'm glad you finally get your dream shot, very well deserved. After campaigning with "let Canada in", its really great to see you get your chance. I'm sure you'll do your country proud and even though I'm from the U.S., I'll be rooting for you the whole way. Good luck my friend. :cheers:

@mistersafeway Thanks, I'll get started on updating the OP shortly.

Good luck everyone! I'm glad I can finally officially compete in this. I hope we at least get to send a fair number of drivers on to the next round as well.

Sad to hear Quebec is excluded, but considering how long it took just to get the rest of Canada included, I'm not surprised. Quebec is usually excluded from contests that even happen at a National level within Canada only. Quebec has additional laws that are more of a pain to abide by to allow their citizens to be eligible.

TRC_LoCoArMeN is actually eligible this year I think because his passport or something didn't come in time and he was unable to go to Silverstone.

Oops, forgot about that, sorry, Armen. I only skimmed, then realised a few were ineligible by way of Canadian-ity (it's a word, honest :sly:), so I knew it required sorting. Didn't think of the initial list being wrong. :lol:

I'm glad you finally get your dream shot, very well deserved. After campaigning with "let Canada in", its really great to see you get your chance. I'm sure you'll do your country proud and even though I'm from the U.S., I'll be rooting for you the whole way. Good luck my friend. :cheers:

@mistersafeway Thanks, I'll get started on updating the OP shortly.

Yeah, I had a running list last year you can check out here. Thanks for being willing to update the OP, it'll be really useful for every one, the more info the better.

Back