2023-24 Formula 1 Off-season thread

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 584 comments
Go On Popcorn GIF

Anyone else honestly think Newey will go to Ferrari? I think it's in the works. Hamilton alone (regardless of skill) brings attention to the sport. A weakness of him is he doesn't try if he is in car that isn't capable of winning the championship. But give him one and it's seal team 6. Ferrari are going to be a powerhouse in 2026.

Anyone else honestly think Newey will go to Ferrari? I think it's in the works. Hamilton alone (regardless of skill) brings attention to the sport. A weakness of him is he doesn't try if he is in car that isn't capable of winning the championship. But give him one and it's seal team 6. Ferrari are going to be a powerhouse in 2026.

Last edited:
If Newey was serious about the idea of working with Hamilton, he's not gonna have another shot if he takes the Aston Martin offer.

Hasn’t Newey made comments in the past about reflecting on what it would be like to work with Ferrari?

Last edited:
Hasn’t Newey made comments in the past about reflecting on what it would be like to work with Ferrari?
I believe he has. However, I also think Elkan would be willing to move heaven and earth if it meant getting the guy that's been designing championship winning cars on the team.

Last edited:
He's not getting any younger, so if it comes down to being Neweys decision, he has to make the move that makes the most short term sense for him. That's got to be Ferrari.

I'm so torn on this. I'd love to see Seb back in F1 again, but not floundering about in Mercedes like Hamilton is now. He could do better, he could do worse, but replacing one champion with another makes sense. At least logistically.

Since he left, I only ever saw him returning with Audi in 2026 but with Hamilton going to Ferrari next year...it's really upset the balance of the universe. :lol:

I was todays years old when I found out that Max Verstappens (potentially until today for me a shortened Maximillian Verstappen) full name is Max Emilian Verstappen.

Last edited:
I think prestige over money would be Neweys thoughts.
Money is what made him join the jabroni Red Bull team in the first place.
I was todays years old when I found out that Max Verstappens (potentially until today for me a shortened Maximillian Verstappen) full name is Max Emilian Verstappen.
See:
Max Verstappen's first name is not short for Maximilian but coupled with his middle name, his full name is Max Emilian Verstappen.

Jos the Boss had a sense of humour, I guess.

I know that F1 "news" is basically all clickbait trash, especially when it comes to driver moves; but I've found it pretty amusing that Verstappen loses one race in the season because he has a car problem (his, what, fifth race over 3 seasons so far?) and now he's either going to go to Mercedes to take Hamilton's seat, go to Aston Martin to take Alonso's seat, or the one that I just saw that I thought was the funniest:

1712046992164.png

He's just going to quit entirely.

Given the date that was published I question whether it was even a serious article... but then again knowing F1 rumor-mongering, I can't even be sure of that either anymore.

I know that F1 "news" is basically all clickbait trash, especially when it comes to driver moves; but I've found it pretty amusing that Verstappen loses one race in the season because he has a car problem (his, what, fifth race over 3 seasons so far?) and now he's either going to go to Mercedes to take Hamilton's seat, go to Aston Martin to take Alonso's seat, or the one that I just saw that I thought was the funniest:

View attachment 1342658

He's just going to quit entirely.
The article really has nothing to do with the race retirement, though, so I don't see the clickbait in it?

The article is about Mark Blundell's comments in regards to being asked about Max going down as one of the all-time greats in the sport next to Schumacher-Hamilton despite not Max not wanting to chase records. Blundell remarks that he wonders if Max is the sort of driver who would just walk away from the sport when he's had enough, something Max himself has repeatedly talked about.
“I don’t kind of see him at the moment being one of these guys [who] is going to stay in for the rest of his days.

“He doesn’t strike me as that person, I might be wrong, but it just strikes me that he’s all about getting done what he needs to do and the job at hand, and when he’s had enough, he’s had enough. We’ll wait and see.”

Last edited:
Yeah but the headline is clearly misleading; it implies retirement talk soon, not retirement talk ever.

I am sucking copium from the grouting but it's a galaxy brain play just to get Red Bull to pay more.

The real death knell for Monaco will be when Las Vegas officially replaces it as the location where all of the teams' big money deals are made. Liberty no doubt wants that to take place stateside, since it'll make it much easier to convince more American companies looking for a global presence to come onboard.

The real death knell for Monaco will be when Las Vegas officially replaces it as the location where all of the teams' big money deals are made. Liberty no doubt wants that to take place stateside, since it'll make it much easier to convince more American companies looking for a global presence to come onboard.
I mean, aside from the fact everything about the track screams history and not actual racing, that would also doom it barring a drastic change.

I mean, aside from the fact everything about the track screams history and not actual racing, that would also doom it barring a drastic change.
Though a lot of the arguments of tradition and history feel like nothing more than lip service these days. The cars have long since outgrown Monaco, and it could be argued the sport as a whole has too, but as long as it's where a large parts of the teams' budgets are secured every year they have to stay diplomatic about it. It'll be interesting to see how their opinions retroactively change if/when Vegas takes Monaco's place as F1's money stop.

Back