2023/24 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 407 comments
t8hfelk1ajhc1.jpeg

Congrats to @Famine and Wednesday

Aston Villa fumbled in their top 4 quest losing to Brighton at the AMEX ('mon the seagulls), opening the door for Tottenham who duly did the most Spursy thing they could and got battered by Liverpool. Elsewhere, Chelsea hammered the hammers.

Brighton 1-0 Aston Villa
Chelsea 5-0 West Ham
Liverpool 4-2 Tottenham

In April 2022, I wrote:

So far you've had a new manager who'll come in and stop the rot every 2.5 years, and a billion pounds (a literally billion actual pounds) spent in nine summers (just summers) on an average of four new players at a time. What you have to show for it is a Community Shield, an FA Cup, and a Europa League, and crushing embarrassment.

And you're doing the exact same thing again this summer - and you think this will work this time?

Going well, I feel.

1715027407355.png

Also Sheffield U****d have set a new Premier League record: tied on 100 goals conceded in a season with Swindon Town, but the first to do so in a 38-game season.

It seems they're odds-on to set a new record outright...
1715440918076.png

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Man U should just rebuild from scratch, honestly. Maybe keep Mainoo and Fernandes, but the rest can all go. Wouldn't be hard-- I think they ought to go after some Madrid players that would be displaced from Mbappe's arrival. Speaking of, Mbappe should have just taken the billion dollars from Al-Sauker Klyub. PSG is also a mess-- albeit a significantly more successful mess-- and might go through similar disbanding sans Mbappe. Who knows.

Interesting that Man City and Arsenal both face the other's main rival in their penultimate game - however, one would have to say that Arsenal have the easier task against Man U than Man City will have against Spurs. Man City with the 2 pt advantage however, makes them super-strong favourites for the title.

Burnley are relegated after their defeat to Spurs, Luton are all but down after they lost 3-1 to West Ham but Forest also lost 3-2 to Chelsea, the gap between the two is three points going into the final day next Sunday but Luton's goal difference is worse.

Man City beat Fulham 4-0 with title rivals Arsenal playing Man United on Sunday, City play their game in hand away to Spurs on Tuesday.

Kenny Miller insisting that Rangers' Lundstram legbreaker tackle wasn't a red card is a total embarrassment :lol:. What a fool. What do you guys think about the No Away Tickets alloment/policy for these Scottish Prem games? Is it only for the celtic-rangers derby? They should do that in the EPL for big club derbies to make the games a little more interesting. But I guess you would miss out on gems like this:

The Old Firm is politically, culturally, socially and even ethnically charged. It's safer that way without knowing what the best compromise is. Kenny Miller's meltdown made Kris Boyd seem normal and that takes some doing. Chris Sutton is usually gleeful when Celtic win but his reactions whilst Miller frothed did make me laugh.

Kylian Mbappe losing his final home game for PSG also feels like a victory for football, following on from my comments about Dortmund in the week.

Game finished 2-0 to City with Haaland getting both. Son had a massive chance when he was one on one with keeper but Ortega saved and this was at 1-0, there were some chants of 'are you watching Arsenal' from sections of the Spurs support and some Spurs fans were doing the Poznan, didn't see the game but heard that the atmosphere was weird.

It means City go two points clear at the top going into the final day on Sunday, City are at home to West Ham and whereas Arsenal are at home to Everton, you would expect both to win.

It also means that Aston Villa are now guaranteed a Champions League spot next season with Spurs losing, what a fantastic achievement for the club.

Man United player exodus has started with Raphael Varane confirming he will leave the club in the summer, he will not be the only one!

Last edited:
Allegri has been sacked by Juventus. Once again, this summer's manager market is more interesting than the playing market which is actually a breath of fresh air in my opinion.

Arne Slot says he will be next Liverpool head coach, its not confirmed by Liverpool themselves yet but it does look that way.

Leeds v Southampton in the Championship play off final.

Allegri has been sacked by Juventus. Once again, this summer's manager market is more interesting than the playing market which is actually a breath of fresh air in my opinion.
Allegri needed to go. Can't have a brand new stadium like that with no hardware and no european matches to play in it. Torino isn't supposed to be better than Juve, lol.

Brighton have confirmed Roberto De Zerbi will leave after the final game of the season tomorrow.

Kieron Mckenna is current favourite to replace him.

Back