2023 NFL Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 706 comments
T'was an okay game overall. That first half was a snooze-fest. That blocked extra point was so crucial, who knows how it could've gone otherwise. But growing up with a bunch of a-hole niners and cowboys fans as a kid, I couldn't root for them even with the Chiefs recent successes. I basically only root for the niners if they play Philly or Dallas, not that I'd even watch that game :lol: That being said, they are a solid club and I expect a lot of success from them next year too, unlike Philly :lol:

Jerome

T'was an okay game overall. That first half was a snooze-fest. That blocked extra point was so crucial, who knows how it could've gone otherwise. But growing up with a bunch of a-hole niners and cowboys fans as a kid, I couldn't root for them even with the Chiefs recent successes. I basically only root for the niners if they play Philly or Dallas, not that I'd even watch that game :lol: That being said, they are a solid club and I expect a lot of success from them next year too, unlike Philly :lol:

Jerome

I can definitely see how the first half was a snooze fest for the casual fan (not directing that comment at you by any means!! 👍🏼)

As someone who played the game for a number of years…mainly defense…it was everything I could hope for! Just an old-school-hard-nose football game! Defense wins championships - and I thought the 9ers were better in that regard.

But….Mahomes…

As much as I hate him (and I’m man enough t admit most of my hate is for petty reasons 😂)…. The guy is good. He’ll go down as one of the greats (like he even needed this game to prove that).

But still…

I hate him

And I’m still petty enough to NEVER let THAT go 😂

Last edited:

Jerome
The Chiefs settling for a FG after they were 1st & goal from about the 4 or so. They get a TD there that would have put them up by 4 I think, that could have ended it. MVS catching a ball in overtime and retreating about 8 or 9 yards putting them in 2nd and long I think it was but the Chiefs overcame that. That was big time.

Congrats to the new villains of the NFL. Didn't think there'd be a team more unlikable than the Patriots.
Nah I 'm sorry in my eyes the Pats remain Public Enemy #1 but I am a Jets fans though😁 If was a fan of another I would probably agree with you though. Right now I can muster enough hate for them

Congrats to the Kansas City Chiefs on the first back-to-back Super Bowl wins in 20 years.

I was hoping the 49ers won it, but in the end they didn't have quite enough.

The game was a slow-burner, and I'm glad I didn't stay up to watch it live - it started at 11.30pm here, so I decided to watch it 'as live' this morning, which was great as it meant I could skip the ads - still took 2.5 hours though 😅

I nearly managed to keep up my tradition of spoiling the result for myself in new and creative ways - this time it was the DAZN app jumping to the end of the broadcast and me trying to figure out how to reset it without spoiling the result. Luckily I was able to restart it, but I was very close to ruining the result midday through Q2.

Mahomes, as usual, made the difference - Purdy was just too ineffective on too many plays to really make it count - SF were the better side in the first half but didn't make it pay. The missed extra point turned out to be highly significant.

Still, I'm very glad I took the day off work today, as it made watching the game this morning possible and I reckon I wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much while struggling to stay awake, esp. after a slow first half!

I watched it all live on itvx on my Xbox. Couldn't get to sleep afterwards. Early night incoming. Good game

Congrats to the Kansas City Chiefs on the first back-to-back Super Bowl wins in 20 years.

I was hoping the 49ers won it, but in the end they didn't have quite enough.

The game was a slow-burner, and I'm glad I didn't stay up to watch it live - it started at 11.30pm here, so I decided to watch it 'as live' this morning, which was great as it meant I could skip the ads - still took 2.5 hours though 😅

I nearly managed to keep up my tradition of spoiling the result for myself in new and creative ways - this time it was the DAZN app jumping to the end of the broadcast and me trying to figure out how to reset it without spoiling the result. Luckily I was able to restart it, but I was very close to ruining the result midday through Q2.

Mahomes, as usual, made the difference - Purdy was just too ineffective on too many plays to really make it count - SF were the better side in the first half but didn't make it pay. The missed extra point turned out to be highly significant.

Still, I'm very glad I took the day off work today, as it made watching the game this morning possible and I reckon I wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much while struggling to stay awake, esp. after a slow first half!
I managed to watch it live and stay awake for a change! - Although i groaned when it had to go to extra time and as soon as the touchdown was scored i was off to bed. Tired this morning, but i'd stayed up late on Saturday and the dogs 'allowed' me to sleep in on Sunday morning, so that made a difference.

Good match for such a low score. Defence was tough from both sides, the 49'ers really shut down Mahomes usual magic. 49'ers McCaffrey was the standout player of the match for me.

Top 5 halftime shows that I can think of.

HER
Ludacris
Alicia Keyes
WILL.I.AM
Lil’ John

…wow

With the exception of HER, it was like reliving my teens and early 20’s again

Just wish the program would have allowed for “My Way”
I didn't know who Her was, but she had the best part. I thought the dancing and stuff was cool but Alicia Keys can't sing anymore, lol. Usher did a great job but I hated how short everything was. It felt like nothing but previews from the iTunes Usher page in 2015.

I didn't realize until this morning that the over/under line for the game had moved to 46.5!!! If you had the Chiefs + Over you were sweating most of that game but if you had the under you have to be gutted. ESPN anchor Scott Van Pelt has a segment every Monday night on his SportsCenter show called "Bad Beats" and it's all about the gambling aspect of sports. Moments that effect payouts one way or another. He has a saying that "overtime is not the friend of the under better" well I definitely think it applies here.

They are winning too much so people get tired of them. My take on the SB SF came out with a bad game plan. I feel like they should have gave the rock CMC the entire game. Purdy didn't play a bad game but they should have leaned on CMC and defense more. That has always been my biggest issue with Shanahan he tends to panic and get away for what the team does well. They run the ball really well and that is KCs weakness. Why not exploit that?

Solid game and a nail biter. SF just didn't quite have enough and Mahomes is....Mahomes. Hoping SF can field as good or better team next year.

Time for me to chime in on Super Bowl LVIII...

For the most part, I thought this was a fairly good defensive struggle. I felt at times San Francisco had the edge in the passing game at times. I didn't really hate Kansas City going for Overtime rather than go for the kill, but the Chiefs didn't beat themselves with dumb decisions. I'm pretty sure all the sports networks will be overplaying (for example) Patrick Mahomes throwing a pass in the end zone that gets picked off, like the Super Bowl game between Seattle and New England. I'm a "Swiftie," but my fandom of Taylor Swift had no bearing on me casually picking Kansas City to win Super Bowl LVIII. San Francisco has nothing to be ashamed of. They were beast in the regular season and put up quite the fight to make it to the Super Bowl. As far as "villain" status, let's save that for when the Kansas City Chiefs get accused of certain conspiracies or get special treatment too often. Let's not make them the New England Patriots (under T. Brady and B. Belichick) or the football version of the 2017 Houston Astros or the 2018 Boston Red Sox. Let me say it in wrestling speak:

"Here are your winners... and STILL Champions, the Kansas City Chiefs!"

As for the Super Bowl Halftime show, my fellow Texan Usher ("Ursher") did very well. I was pleased seeing Alicia Keys, Lil Jon, and Ludacris. It was a cool performance. Wasn't blown away by any stretch, but it was pretty good.

Commercials-wise, I noted a lot of upcoming movies. I guess I was most entertained about that M&M's Ring of Comfort for players who almost won the Super Bowl. I was a bit annoyed of the Verizon commercial with Beyoncé. I mean... I support Beyoncé because she's one of my fellow Houstonians, but I am not really as much a fan of hers.

There will apparently be 206 days until we do NFL football all over again. Season 104 of the National Football League is complete. It's now time to do draft, combine, training camp, brutal Summer heat... all the way to the Preseason and beyond for Super Bowl LIX (59) in New Orleans.

Feel free to chat about the season in general, how your team(s) did, what you look forward to next season, and more.

1707782765679.png

Jerome

Back