New Zealand
Auckland New Zealand
gtone339

Screenshots - all credit goes to Kotaku

ojrxzdlagqakgvwkledr.png

dcbc08cqhxtspmtpiiag.png

xcruoevhlkasv5krr0sz.png

w85dltilitcpzetoeqvh.png

18th Century France, probably during the French Revolution and may build up to the Napoleonic Wars?​
It seems that it's an early build, so the game is currently in progress of completion this year for Next-Gen consoles, PS4 & Xbone.

So what do you guys think of this leak? :)

-----------------

Release date: October 28, 2014

Last edited:
18th Century France, probably during the French Revolution and may build up to the Napoleonic Wars?
It would be a good setting - there was a lot of stuff going on that went a long way to defining the modern age. It really marked the end if feudalism, and it was the first time the concept of human rights really came about.

But the danger lies in the way Ubisoft handled the last game set during a revolution - AC3.

Looking forward to another AC game whatever time period it's placed in,was kinda looking forward to it being placed in Asia so we could get some Assasin/ninja/samurai action,but this is cool to.

The developers have said that they think the three most popular fan choices for a setting - World War II, Feudal Japan and Ancient Egypt - simply would not translate into an AC game very well. They think that the biggest problem with Feudal Japan and the rise of the shogunate is that the period was defined by a very complex social structure, which would be difficult to explain to players whilst maintaining a proper pace for the story. Plus, the ninja and samurai depicted in western media are very different to the ninja and samurai as they appear in Japanese culture.

They think that the biggest problem with Feudal Japan and the rise of the shogunate is that the period was defined by a very complex social structure, which would be difficult to explain to players whilst maintaining a proper pace for the story. Plus, the ninja and samurai depicted in western media are very different to the ninja and samurai as they appear in Japanese culture.

Total cop-out. Just look at the opening to the Wikipedia page about ninjas:

"A ninja or shinobi was a covert agent or mercenary in feudal Japan. The functions of the ninja included espionage, sabotage, infiltration, and assassination, and open combat in certain situations. Their covert methods of waging war contrasted the ninja with the samurai, who observed strict rules about honor and combat. The shinobi proper, a specially trained group of spies and mercenaries, appeared in the Sengoku or "warring states" period, in the 15th century, but antecedents may have existed in the 14th century, and possibly even in the 12th century (Heian or early Kamakura era)."

A game based on these people would practically make itself, for crying out loud. I understand we have a simplified, 'badass'-ified version of what samurai and ninjas were about here in the west, but since when has Assassin's Creed a) not been really, really boring when it comes to story, b) passed up the opportunity to be pseudo-educational or c) see a)? Did they never play Tenchu? This is basically Assassin's Creed before Assassin's Creed existed:

As much as I dislike Assassin's Creed, if they made one that was basically a pretty, modernised Tenchu, I'd buy it.

Total cop-out. Just look at the opening to the Wikipedia page about ninjas:
Firstly, I wasn't aware Wikipedia counted as western media.

Secondly, I see you have completely ignored the complex social structure of Feudal Japanese culture.

And finally, it's Ubisoft's game. They said they don't want to do it.

Firstly, I wasn't aware Wikipedia counted as western media.

Secondly, I see you have completely ignored the complex social structure of Feudal Japanese culture.

And finally, it's Ubisoft's game. They said they don't want to do it.

You've missed my point and misread my tone, but let me put this to you:

At the end of Assassin's Creed 2 you encounter aliens. Aliens. Aliens.

Aliens.

So, like, why be precious about the complex social structure of feudal Japan if you're going to have aliens in your game? 'Oh, well, we don't want to confuse our audience or make the story boring by trying to explain how Japan worked back then, but it's totally ok to have our protagonist kill the Pope then see some aliens'.

ALIENS.

Come on, seriously? That's the worst excuse I've ever heard. But then again the games are terrible anyway (I heard Black Flag isn't, but the preceding five were bad enough to put me off) so whatever.

The narrative of Assassin's Creed makes it quite plain that these people arose on Earth and co-existed with - indeed created - humans, who were a servant class to them. After the humans rose up against them, their species (The First Civilisation) were all but wiped out - survived by around 10,000 humans - by a coronal mass ejection in around 75,000BC.

So... more like pre-hominid advanced terrestrials.

If the next game will be set during the French Revolution, we're gonna see a lot of the guillotine...

The narrative of Assassin's Creed makes it quite plain that these people arose on Earth and co-existed with - indeed created - humans, who were a servant class to them. After the humans rose up against them, their species (The First Civilisation) were all but wiped out - survived by around 10,000 humans - by a coronal mass ejection in around 75,000BC.

So... more like pre-hominid advanced terrestrials.

And they say feudal Japan would be boring. I could just about handle the thing with the Animus, the 'actual' protagonist and this smarmy twaddler:

as21.jpg

But that bit at the end of AC2... Well, my poor memory is the only reason (well, and low, low prices I guess) I bought both Brotherhood and Revelations, but playing the first three hours of the tutorial of Brotherhood reminded me of how 2 ended so I stopped. As I shall also do now.

So, like, why be precious about the complex social structure of feudal Japan if you're going to have aliens in your game?
Because despite the outlandish qualities of the plot, the developers do try to recreate the periods the games are set in as best they can.

I don't see it say "Assassin's Creed V"... Possible PS Vita sequel to Liberation?
A/B/X/Y button commands in the screenshots suggest XBOne platform - which also suggests PS4.

A/B/X/Y button commands in the screenshots suggest XBOne platform - which also suggests PS4.
Thanks for the heads up, i didn't notice those for the first time, this is a very weird case, usually the AC's without numbers are sequels with the same assassin or spin offs on different platforms, I'm very curious to find out what Unity is.

AC in Egypt or Japan would be truly breathtaking though, still waiting for one of those settings.

Seeing the new trailer, I don't think what they have shown was true next gen gameplay graphics, looked too good.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-21-assassins-creed-unity-confirmed-by-ubisoft

Eurogamer/Ubisoft
Ubisoft has confirmed the recently-leaked Assassin's Creed: Unity with a short teaser of stunning in-game footage.

As expected Unity will be released during "holiday 2014", just for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It's been in development for "more than three years", Ubisoft said.

The trailer confirms the game's Parisian setting during the French revolution, and the black-cloaked Assassin spotted in leaked screenshots earlier this week.

In a statement today announcing the game and the new footage, Ubisoft commented that been forced to confirm the game's existence a little earlier than planned due to "Abstergo".

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche [Let them eat cake]!" Ubisoft exclaimed.

"We have been working on the new Assassin's Creed for more than three years and although we weren't quite ready to show you our full vision for a next-gen only AC, it seems Abstergo are trying to force our hand! So here's a true first look at in-game footage from Assassin's Creed Unity. Stay tuned - we'll have many more exciting details for you in the months ahead!"

As a French guy i can tell you that this period of French history is amazing and so important for French people.
@MildAshers That video you posted looks absolutely gorgeous.
I can't wait to see more of this, i am so exited!

@MildAshers: Oh Yeah! Now that looks like a true next-gen Assassin's Creed game! Looking forward to it. :)

- Updated OP with teaser video.

------------

Ubisoft quote:

Published on Mar 21, 2014 Qu'ils mangent de la brioche [Let them eat cake]! We have been working on the new Assassin's Creed for more than three years and although we weren't quite ready to show you our full vision for a next-gen only AC, it seems Abstergo are trying to force our hand! So here's a true first look at in-game footage from Assassin's Creed Unity. Stay tuned - we'll have many more exciting details for you in the months ahead!

Ubisoft should take note on this video for their next AC game.​

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping they'd go with another female Assassin honestly. I have not played 4 yet and I played III-Revelations-II-Brotherhood in that order and I always wanted to see if they could do another female Assassin like Liberation had. Also (I'm in the minority here) I loved ACIII. The DLC was horrible and felt like a bad dream (it WAS a bad dream) but I really enjoyed the setting because of the time period. Then again what do I know? I am not a fan of Brotherhood and people tell me that's possibly the best of all of them.

It's just a shame they built these gorgeous, historical worlds and threw the hammy, distracting modern day with the running arch. They could have freed themselves of connecting it all together and given us differing times in history for the sake of just enjoying that time.

VXR
It's just a shame they built these gorgeous, historical worlds and threw the hammy, distracting modern day with the running arch. They could have freed themselves of connecting it all together and given us differing times in history for the sake of just enjoying that time.
They obviously needed some way of explaining why you move from time period to time period between games, as well as an over-arching narrative.

I was hoping they'd go with another female Assassin honestly. I have not played 4 yet and I played III-Revelations-II-Brotherhood in that order and I always wanted to see if they could do another female Assassin like Liberation had.

Agreed, although I'm not a fan of having to change personas all the time.

Can't wait :) . Love the series, and you are all wrong. AC 2 is the best one, loved the story! I miss Ezio..

Back