Alien: Isolation - 07/10/2014

• Thread starter Ellis
  • 142 comments
Been watching a play-through on Markipliers YouTube channel. He's on the PC version which looks damn good. Looks interesting, but I suck at games like this so I think I would get too frustrated to enjoy it myself.

Been watching a play-through on Markipliers YouTube channel. He's on the PC version which looks damn good. Looks interesting, but I suck at games like this so I think I would get too frustrated to enjoy it myself.
Looks damn good on the PS4 too - they really have got that atmosphere down just right. It feels like the first film, just a bit more HD ;)

It's a fine idea that once you have the PS Eye connected, a loud sound from your end will alert anything nearby in the game...talk about full-on immersion.

I mean I know other devs are working with similar ideas (Dying Light, you can attract a zombie's attention by shouting at it) but this is definitely a new one to me and a good idea.
The panic though if you needed to sneeze or your doorbell rang!

I'm a couple of hours in and so far I have mixed feelings.

The story is ok.

The atmosphere is seriously intense!

The gameplay is ok.

The game in general is very frustrating. Crawl crawl crawl crawl, solve a puzzle, crawl crawl, die. Start over.

Save points are fairly infrequent and you can spend 30mins trying to complete an objective, only to die right at the end and have to reload the save.

It is strangely involving, perhaps due to the fact that I am a fan of the movie. The look, feel and sounds of the environment really makes it feel like you're on the Nostromo.

Last edited:
Finally, a good Alien game arrives and the silence out there is deafening ;)

The game in general is very frustrating. Crawl crawl crawl crawl, solve a puzzle, crawl crawl, die. Start over.

Save points are fairly infrequent and you can spend 30mins trying to complete an objective, only to die right at the end and have to reload the save.
Seems to sum that up right there.

I'm a couple of hours in and so far I have mixed feelings.

The story is ok.

The atmosphere is seriously intense!

The gameplay is ok.

It is strangely involving, perhaps due to the fact that I am a fan of the movie. The look, feel and sounds of the environment really makes it feel like you're on the Nostromo.
This was always my biggest worry I totally get what the developers are trying to do but how much fun long term could that really be.:indiff: Once the initial novelty's worn off I'd be longing for a pulse rifle!:lol:

...It is strangely involving, perhaps due to the fact that I am a fan of the movie. The look, feel and sounds of the environment really makes it feel like you're on the Nostromo.
That feeling does not go away - currently at about ten hours in and it keeps drawing you back.

Finished it.

It does get better (and worse) as you go through. The addition of the flamethrower means the alien spotting you does not mean certain death, but the backtracking is a pain.

I nearly smashed the controller when...

I finally get to the airlock to escape to the Torrens. As I pick up the helmet for the space suit, the alien appears and grabs at me. It cases me to fall down a load of shafts, all the way BACK TO THE NEST!!!

The EVA missions look great and the derelict mission is really cool.

Why no screenshots? Just a few to get the conversation going again...

Alien_ Isolation™_20141107115021.jpg
Alien_ Isolation™_20141107120352.jpg
Alien_ Isolation™_20141107122322.jpg
Alien_ Isolation™_20141107130159.jpg

I tried to grab some but I got jump scared far too aggressively and couldn't play any more

I can see why this will be seen very much as a marmite game but it's doing the job for me young Ellis. Haven't had so many "made me jump" moments for a long while.................those alien footsteps.:scared::scared::scared:

Back