Arcade Love ~*~ The Hit List & Game Changer.

• Thread starter W3H5
  • 377 comments
Love it to, it's the event creator we all want with a respectable AI opponent at level 10, which we also desperately want.

Only a shame that when you finish your race, there is no reward to speak of.
But once you own all the cars and rewards in the lame GT mode, it's the ideal way to experience what GT5 should have been about in the first place.

(Ps. If only i could use my entire garage, instead of having to limit myself to 100 favourites :grumpy:)

Im always on arcade mode now set about 30-50 laps full damage, fuel and tire depreciation ON and do either a f1 race, LMP or gt3 race.
As i say all the time can you imagine how much more EPIC arcade would be if you could pick your opponents!!!!. then i could race my tuned Maserati with GT3 cars it would be soo epic or even mix up the f1 grid with some Ferrari f2007, formula GTs, and the Ferrari 2010 even better mix up the grid with LMP's, GT2 and GT3 cars.........my gt5 then would be complete.

Last edited:

Hey man, I wasn't laughing at you- I was laughing at ItsHim for asking me if I've tried to do EXACTLY what I posted that I do right before he asked. That was awesome/hilarious/ironic all at once. 👍

I wasn't under impression the AI tires change depending on yours I though what ever the car came with those where the tires I will check in 20 min.

No, I didn't say that- "making them extra beastly" refers to the cars that your opponents will be racing with when you set the race with grippier tires. You're not very keen to read the whole thread are you? Allow me to assist..

Nope. I wish. I've done many experiments to try and find out if I can manipulate the A.I.'s tires. Sadly, we cannot. Changing your car to grippier tires actually changes the CARS that the A.I. shows up with in the race! Try it- start an arcade race using a sports car like a stock NSX, equip with Sports Hards and take note of the cars that you get matched against. Now exit, do the same race, same car, but equip with Sports Soft and look what happens. You will now be facing much faster cars.

I can't figure out their formula for choosing the A.I. tires at all. Most of the time (in the above scenario with a normal sports car) they will have sports hard. Sometimes, though, I have seen the entire field of opponents have all sorts of different tires, from comfort soft- racing hards. ALL in the same race!

So, to summarize.... The A.I. still blows. It blows goats. I have proof. :sly:

If you think the AI sucks monkeys then it's you that is probably doing something wrong, not the AI, as most people that enjoy Arcade Mode and use it for fun actually can find a challenge from the AI.

If you think the AI sucks monkeys then it's you that is probably doing something wrong, not the AI, as most people that enjoy Arcade Mode and use it for fun actually can find a challenge from the AI.

Best defence of the GT5 AI yet. It's not them, it's you. Classic. So it's me that causes them to drive slowly, brake too early, give up on the position etc etc? The AI is poor, make no bones about it. You can make them artificially harder by hindering your car but as I say, that's artificial. They're still poor.

Of course it's up to the user as to how the race is played out. If you tear into openings which wouldn't be used in real life because of the tightness of situation then you are the one taking steps to make the game artificiality easy.

Anyway, you clearly missed the title of the thread; Arcade Love, not Arcade Let's Moan About It Because It's Not To My Taste.

And on that note, end the criticisms, thank you, as I'll now use this thread for logging/ posting in the OP great race car/ track combos in which racing is awesome, only if you like that kind of thing, of course, which by some of the comments, enough people do.

So without further ado, here's my bit for today.

Track and car
20 laps of SSR5 in an Integra Type R Touring Car. RH - 65kg ballast.

Example competition
Altezza Touring Car, S2000 Race Car, C-WEST RAZO SILVIA...

Additional notes
Constant racing, very rarely did I lose sight of the packs, of which there were a few. One pit required for repairs in the early stages. A drift (ER34 D1 SPEC) car turned up for fun and managed to get lapped a few times. :)

Last edited:
I've just updated the OP with info, if you pull a good race out of the combo you use please do let me know, I'd love to try it. ;) 👍

Saw this thread yesterday at work, so I decided to give Arcade a go last night with some of the recommendations in here and I have to say I had some great races last night.
For the first time in a while I actually enjoyed playing GT5 and didn't find it a chore. Had some really good tight races in low PP cars and had a blast.

I get frustrated with online lobbies as the "clean" rooms always end up becoming a demolition derby and no one is overly interested in running low pp races.

I would like to just say thank you to the OP and the other contributors that have shone a light on a hidden gem in this game. 👍

Glad you liked it. 👍

I'll be trying out some low PP car and track combos tonight and tomorrow and will list them here if anyone is finding it hard to get a good match. ;)

Like what your doing shem. I'm going to fire up GT soon and my first port of call will be arcade.

There really is more to it than meets the eye. I think many people believe because it's named Arcade Mode that the experience will be like an arcade version of GT. I find it's actually what I bought GT for in the first place! :D

I will admit it can be a bugger trying to get a good match; last night I tried 2 different car/ track combos for a lap before realising they didn't work, but when a good formula is found, it can be raced over and over with no end to the fun.

If it's a quick win that is sough after than Arcade is the wrong place. If you want to slug it out over 35 laps in race cars then it's the place to be!

Well I fancy a bit more than the 3 laps currently on offer in Aspec.

Can't be arsed to level up to try the Aspec enduros. Think I'm at level 30. Did the 4 hour Suckuba lol. Never again.

Best defence of the GT5 AI yet. It's not them, it's you. Classic. So it's me that causes them to drive slowly, brake too early, give up on the position etc etc? The AI is poor, make no bones about it. You can make them artificially harder by hindering your car but as I say, that's artificial. They're still poor.

No, he is correct. What he is talking about is the majority of people who play driving games have not got a clue how to overtake property. They think every corner is a legit overtaking opportunity and the AI should always get out of the way. Yeah.....No

Also, on pro with AI set to 10, the AI hardly ever give up the position. Yes, the AI brake to early but if you turn ABS off, you just watch as braking distances become relatively comparable.

Sounds to me that you are playing the game with everything set to make the race as easy as possible, then b*tching about it afterwards for being to easy..

The ABS off argument holds water. However models that are genuinely entitled to ABS (human or not) show some cracks in the theory. Ideally the AI should match your braking points much closer with ABS if fitted in real life.

I tend not to use ABS unless I feel it would completely scupper my chances in say a LMP race where I would be hard pushed for position anyway.

Running a Super GT race I don't because no Super GT cars run any aids at all.

Some of the more modern race/ touring cars are fitted with and use ABS but in terms of driving performance it makes very little difference to a cars braking abilities when the brakes are applied in a straight line as they should be anyway. I find it's only if I use the brake in the corners that the car becomes unbalanced, so I keep my braking zones as straight as possible.

That said, I only find the ASB makes a large difference when coming into a corner really fast, and on most tracks that happens only once or twice a lap. These are just my views of ABS, other peoples experiences may vary.

The ABS off argument holds water. However models that are genuinely entitled to ABS (human or not) show some cracks in the theory. Ideally the AI should match your braking points much closer with ABS if fitted in real life.

Can't argue with that.

Only issue I see is that it will make some races even more spread out than what is already seen. Maybe the best option is to allow restrictions into the arcade mode.

Problem is, its pretty much impossible to allow for every combination of car, driver and the AI. Truth is that cars that come with a form of driving aid can always have them turned off. However, what happens with older cars, do you take away the option of aids just because they wouldn't have been on the car in RL?

^ It's all personal choice. That's what makes A-M so much fun. The only restrictions are the ones you put in place yourself.

The AI are surprising good drivers with damage on. Sure, some of them will clip a wall of have a shunt and need to pit for repairs but it brings a sort of life to the racing rather than AI cars lapping a track with no soul in their eyes. They are fallible unlike the AI cars in A-Spec.

ABS is terrible in GT5 Its doesn't portray a real abs system at all and this is why I turn it off and create my own ABS system. :lol: ABS in GT5 make people better than they really are. Braking is very important when it comes to racing and with ABS on in GT5 this is not the case.

Hey, thanks for posting this up. It's inspired me to try it out. I'm level 40 and have pretty much all the expensive cars I want so gaining credits isn't important anymore.

I love racing with my online friends and prepping for weekly enduros but sometimes I just want to race spur of the moment. I've been going back to some of the older seasonals I missed lately. Using a fully stock car and quiting a race if I touch the AI or go off track isn't that easy (at least for me). Took me a while to beat the McClaren with a Zonda LM on the Madrid seasonal that way. It's pretty challenging to make your way through the slower cars without making contact.

This is a good positive thread. There's fine racing to be had offline if you set up your parameters competively. Not as rewarding as battling with online friends that you're familiar with but still not as bad as many say.

Last edited:
Great thread. What about start posting your experiences? What car did you choose, Tires and your opponents.

Just started 30 laps race at SPA with wheater change, no abs. Car: The new Aston Martin, Sports Hard.

oh boy, seems like I just started playing this game. hahaha

Opponent cars are the usual super cars. dodge vipers, Corvettes, Ferraris etc...

Great thread. What about start posting your experiences? What car did you choose, Tires and your opponents.

Exactly the reason for this thread. 👍

Tonight's madness:

Track and car
A foggy Suzuka in a Lexus Weds Sport 15350. RH -- 65kg ballast.

Competition
Touring/ race cars, few rally cars and a few tuner cars...

Additional note
After 5 laps, finding a rhythm and slotting in 3rd I tossed up the position with the Calibre Touring Car for the next 13 laps! Epic paint and position trading, like racing a friend! On lap 17 the heavens opened and I pulled .5 on the Opel and kept myself on the the track for a bronze place finish, despite the heavy rain and greasy track.

45 minutes of my life well spent. Awesome track and car combo. The Lexus lacked in speed but made up for it in stability and ability to maintain good momentum. The Opel might have well have been the human equivalent of my clone!

Caterham Fireblade @ Cape Ring.
Caterham Fireblade @ Spa.

Like in the above post (ncrthree) I used full damage. It's so hard, but so fun.

I did 4 laps each, didn't even touch my gas or tyres. The Fireblade is too light to use either fast.

Last edited:
Will have to try. How many laps did you do?

I'm just watching my reply now and realised I only used half a tank of fuel but nearly all of my tyres.

Back