Arcade Love ~*~ The Hit List & Game Changer.

• Thread starter W3H5
  • 377 comments
I tried out Arcade mode this weekend after reading this thread Shem 👍

Finally painted my DIY wheel stand in preparation for some good GT time, got the wheel out hours later and gave one of my favorite cars a go (Caterham 7) on one of my course maker tracks (a twisty banked corner 6 mile Toscana circuit).

I was quite surprised when 15 Citroen GT's appeared on the grid. I though I had no chance. It turned out the race was quite competitive and it made a great change to actually have a grid start.

Will be going over this thread making notes on what to try so I don't end up racing 15 GT's every time I use Arcade mode.

Thanks for the heads up :cheers:

What tyres did you have on the Caterham?

What tyres did you have on the Caterham?
Let me guess, racing soft ;-) Caterham has an high pp ratio, around 570 so when you have 15 Citroen GT's means you've entered the race with a too high pp/tyres combo for "GT5 AI match maker" logic.

If you want some Caterham Cup fun I suggest trying one make races in GT mode BUT you need comfort soft (or medium) AND all aids off. Abs off as well. Probably Catheram due to its light weight is one of the best cars to learn abs off (1/0 ratio) I suggest to use a soft suspension setup.
As you know in GT mode AI is weaker, you compensate them using low spec tyres and ALL aids off + damage and tyre wear on. I used this combo at Suzuka and Top Gear Track and it was fun.

Note: When you learned abs off, you probably need to cut out some hp to keep the race competitive as you no longer lock tyres or miss braking zones, as in initial no abs races.

HKS racer
Let me guess, racing soft ;-) Caterham has an high pp ratio, around 570 so when you have 15 Citroen GT's means you've entered the race with a too high pp/tyres combo for "GT5 AI match maker" logic.

If you want some Caterham Cup fun I suggest trying one make races in GT mode BUT you need comfort soft (or medium) AND all aids off. Abs off as well. Probably Catheram due to its light weight is one of the best cars to learn abs off (1/0 ratio) I suggest to use a soft suspension setup.
As you know in GT mode AI is weaker, you compensate them using low spec tyres and ALL aids off + damage and tyre wear on. I used this combo at Suzuka and Top Gear Track and it was fun.
I have the same guess as you but still would prefer not to assume, so I asked.
Racing Soft are not what I would put on a Catheram but every one is entitled to having fun the way they want, there is no right or wrong choice just what makes you smile. In general for me it is more fun to race the AI with lesser tyres and all aids off, including abs and drive like you need the car to get back home.

I have the same guess as you but still would prefer not to assume, so I asked.
Racing Soft are not what I would put on a Catheram but every one is entitled to having fun the way they want, there is no right or wrong choice just what makes you smile. In general for me it is more fun to race the AI with lesser tyres and all aids off, including abs and drive like you need the car to get back home.

In this thread we are asked to bring our experience, reporting what we found to be fun, so I did. I also found myself those 15 Citroen's while entering with a fully tuned Ferrari. ;)

Arcade mode is all about seeing what opponents Kaz give you, then decide to enter or exit the race. Trial and error. The purpose of this thread is to reduce these trial and error moments.

In this thread we are asked to bring our experience, reporting what we found to be fun, so I did. I also found myself those 15 Citroen's while entering with a fully tuned Ferrari. ;)

Arcade mode is all about seeing what opponents Kaz give you, then decide to enter or exit the race. Trial and error. The purpose of this thread is to reduce these trial and error moments.
Huh?

Just had an excellent Touring car race:
BMW 320i Touring Car '03.
Cape Ring South 18 Laps.
No changes to car other than oil

Opposition was TC's mainly with a couple of Rally cars also. I traded 8th position several times with a Peugeot 205 for 10 laps before finally breaking away to chase down the leading pack.
The first 10 laps were action packed with 6 cars in my pack including the 205. The last 5 laps I went from 7th to 2nd and back to 4th.

Finished 4th -7 leading Altezza TC.

Last edited:
Had a go at a CLASS A, LM classics race @ Daytona RC, in an untuned RH 330P4 , got 5/16 in same class, the other 11 were SUPERGT and Tuner cars...

Disappointed but raced them anyway , was 1st within 2 laps, no Aids.
Still disappointed.

The AI difficulty really depends on each race, ive had some tough CLASS A, and some weak ones as well.

Not consistent enough to rely on.

The other day i lost against AI...yes shame on me...how? well i just went to Practice mode and put the Toyota FT86 II Concept 2011 and made a race with the same car for AI of course.
The track was Tokyo R246 and just a 5 laps race.

I was pushing like a crazy mother ***** all the race but was impossible to catch the first car and even it kept the same distance the last 2 laps.

I was using the stock car, stock tyres, stock everything, all aids off and only ABS 1 (as usually). And with a G27 wheel, simulation and FFB = 5 (i don´t use it at 10 because i´m using rally cars in gravel lately and hate the noise of the wheel).
And AI set to 10.

Still i had a good time and was impressed about the AI "skills". lol The 2nd car was hard to pass too because i am not one of those who use to crash the cars to pass, i tried to drive as "it should be in reality". (passing in specific places and taking care of my car and the opponent at the same time, not being dirty just to be clear)

The race was short but with more laps i doubt if i can catch that car. It was holding the same distance for the last 2 to 3 laps.

The purpose of this thread is to reduce these trial and error moments.

Absolutely. That's why I started it. ;)

There is a certain patten that occurs on how the game groups cars together.

If I was to take a stock Genki Hyper Siliva to track (not that I have yet) I could pretty much guarantee a grid of touring cars and tuner cars and perhaps a rally car or two.

I'm still yet to work out the patten with the Le Mans racers because some entries seem to bring up a full LMP grid and other will get you LMPs and LM Race Cars.

Sports cars get you sports cars. Simple. An Focus I ran yesterday came up against lots of 2 seaters and sports saloons. CS are usually the order of the day

I don't business much with changing tyre as I find the the game selects the most appropriate tyres for the race. I will look into this, though.

Disappointed but raced them anyway , was 1st within 2 laps, no Aids.
Still disappointed.

This can happen. At least once a night I end up doing one lap before realising that the race isn't balanced and it's a case either changing the car I'm using or adding a ballast or detuning it a little.

Apologies for the double post but I just had an epic race that needed to be posted:

Car and track

DB9 at Autumn Ring for 27 laps. SH -- Ballast 65kg, rear wing.

competition
Jags, Astons, Ferraris, BMWs and a few other sports cars.

Additional notes

This track doesn't leave a lot of opportunity for overtaking so the race was incredibly close. An M5 pulled a lead of a few seconds and the last 15 laps were spent watching him disappear around the next bend. I finally caught up to his tail on lap 25 and won by less than a second. I know they say drifting isn't the fastest way around a track but in this case, it certainly helped!

I don't business much with changing tyre as I find the the game selects the most appropriate tyres for the race. I will look into this, though.
I notieced in Arcade mode you can "force" the game changing stuff in PRE race menu. This is how it works, in case, some of you want a specific AI pattern but still wont some freedom on regulations:

Go in GT mode select one of the setup slots (A, B or C). For instance let's use "B". This setup will be your "enter race setup" the one the game use to assign you AI cars. Let's say this setup has race hard tyres and 450 hp.

In "Select Race" menu, and before entering the race (black grey menu) don't change tyres, not yet. Keep them as in setup B. The game will give you AI cars according to setup B pp/tyres combo.

In Pre race menu (when you actually see the in game track) You can change to setup C and have a totally different tune but still racing previosuly given AI's. This will give some room on Bop (balance of performance), you can either have unbeatable stiggs or captain slow opponents, and everything in between, it's up to you. :)

Probably my best experience yet playing GT5

If you have to win every race you enter then stop reading now.

Enjoy a realistic challenge? check
Patient overtaker enjoy endurance racing? check
Like to run with no aids and damage on? check
Love the Nordschliefe? Check
Have a few hours spare for an endurance race? Check

Instructions for race and a 24hr cycle in around 2.24 hours real time:

1) Buy yourself a shiny new Fairlady Z 2008 and perform an oil change.
2) Remove tyres and replace with a set of Comfort Softs.
3) Favourite the car
4) Enter Arcade mode, choose single race, professional and select Norschliefe day/night, changeable weather.
5) Set number of laps to 16
5) Set all aids off including ABS, turn on damage, Tyre wear and set grip to real.
6) Set brake Bias 2F/0R
7) Set weather to 50%, Wet Track to 30%, Time advance to 11, weather change 10
8) Be prepared for some close racing and some very careful braking.
Be especially careful not to brake to hard to fast on downhill sections such as Aremberg.
9) Turn off display, track map, names etc.
10) Race and enjoy remembering to treat the car well and look after the tyres. Plan an overtake and pick a spot to do it safely.
Tyres last a comfortable 5/6 laps with me at the wheel.

If a couple of hours is too long for you just reduce laps and increase time advance accordingly.

Hope others try this race as I had a blast. :)

Last edited:
You can either have unbeatable stiggs or captain slow opponents, and everything in between, it's up to you. :)

There's the game changer right there, thanks for bringing that up, I completely overlooked that fact! I'll be adding that to the OP. ;) 👍

Probably my best experience yet playing GT5

That's the way to do it!

I noticed in Arcade mode you can "force" the game changing stuff in PRE race menu. This is how it works, in case, some of you want a specific AI pattern but still wont some freedom on regulations:

In "Select Race" menu, and before entering the race (black grey menu) don't change tyres, not yet. Keep them as in setup B. The game will give you AI cars according to setup B pp/tyres combo.

In Pre race menu (when you actually see the in game track) You can change to setup C and have a totally different tune but still racing previosuly given AI's. This will give some room on Bop (balance of performance), you can either have unbeatable stiggs or captain slow opponents, and everything in between, it's up to you. :)

Well..... I'm not sure about "unbeatable stigs" lol, but you're basically right on point. Experiment with changing your tires in the "Select Race" menu- and then once you get to the Pre-Race menu, change your tires to suit your driving abilities to get a good race.

Example: If, in the Select Race menu, you choose Racing tires-- you are probably going to get matched up against some vehicles that are quite a bit more powerful than yours, often by such a margin that you will not be able to catch them. Try again with Sports tires and the results should be a bit more palatable. Now, while this technique is great for netting different opponent vehicles, it does nothing to change the A.I. skill level. That's where changing your tires at the Pre-Race menu comes in. Try and use tires that will put you fairly even with them in the longer, sweeping corners- because in most short, quick corners you have to account for their amatuer use of the brakes/throttle. :ouch:

One a side note, but fairly important- wouldn't it be nice if we could adjust the # of Laps in that Pre-Race menu?? Sometimes you get into a race and think, "man, if I could set this race to 15 laps instead of 10 I could surely chase down that next pack of opponents." But of course, we have to back all the way out to 'Select Race' and completely reload the whole thing. This is unfortunate.

But, anyway.... Race on, my bredren!

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Well..... I'm not sure about "unbeatable stigs"
What I mean is: you can enter a race with a 650 pp race car on racing hards and then if you change setup to a 450pp car on comfort hards you'll probably find "quite a challange" :) Obviously that's way too extreme but it gives an idea on what you could potentially do.

^ yes, absolutely a challenge. They would beat the tar out of you, but not because they have Stig-like skills controlling a car.

Either way, great post. Hopefully it helps many people get into the experimenting spirit.

👍

How do you remove tyres before you replace them?

Select the tyres before enter the track (racing soft for example)...and then when you enter the track/event BUT before start the race, go to the car setup and change the tyres again for sport or comfort instead of using the racing soft tyres (if you selected those before enter the track/event)...

You misunderstood me. How do you remove a set of tyres from a GT5 car without replacing them?

It was an attempt at humor. Nvrmnd.

I tried out Arcade mode this weekend after reading this thread Shem 👍

Finally painted my DIY wheel stand in preparation for some good GT time, got the wheel out hours later and gave one of my favorite cars a go (Caterham 7) on one of my course maker tracks (a twisty banked corner 6 mile Toscana circuit).

I was quite surprised when 15 Citroen GT's appeared on the grid. I though I had no chance. It turned out the race was quite competitive and it made a great change to actually have a grid start.

Will be going over this thread making notes on what to try so I don't end up racing 15 GT's every time I use Arcade mode.

Thanks for the heads up :cheers:

Also used the Fireblade in the Ring versus the white knights, I let them all pass at turn 1 just so I could overtake all cars. It was interesting manouvering around them and outbreaking them, and then they just fly away in the straights. I seemed to have quite the large lead by the long straight, but the Citroen GTs just appeared of nowhere with their speed and the second place was just 3 seconds behind me. I used racing softs for that race, I will use racing hard or meds next time.

Since I want a taste (in most racing games) of what the fastest cars there is available to drive later in career and to get a feel of the game, I always jump to arcade mode first.

But Arcade doesn't have the fast cars anymore.

lolwut.jpg

Back