• 2,675 comments

Liquid

Fission Mailed
Premium
Slovakia
Bratvegas
GTP_Liquid
Rules
In the spirit of competition, try and use your knowledge and memory alone, when possible. If the question is too difficult, and no-one seems to know the answers, then research is permitted. But come on, at least guess first.

League Table

Premiership

1st Liquid - 81
2nd Famine - 53
3rd daan - 24

---
4th Akmuq - 23
5th MildAshers - 21
6th dhandeh - 19
7th SuperDiscoDaz - 16
8th Ross - 14
9th MUSC4EVER - 14

Championship

10th Matty - 9
11th Fastas - 7
12th Ferrari458 - 7
13th Vegard - 6
14th Fuzzy - 6
15th S_Bridge - 7
16th Jimlaad43 - 6
17th Emptyone - 4
18th TyrrellRacing - 4
19th Barra333 - 4

League One

20th ASH32 - 3
21st Dennisch - 3
22nd mattythedog - 3
23rd NINE_HUNDRED - 3
24th lxmmy - 3
25th GTP_Plato - 2
26th SagarisGTB - 2
27th HighSeasHoMaster - 2
28th Christara321 - 2
29th Adamp93 - 2

League Two

30th jaymanji - 1
31st Tesla - 1
32nd mp10 - 1
33rd Rub1hno - 1
34th Omnis - 1
35th SVT Cobra GT - 1
36th ApexDrift123 - 1
37th DK - 1
38th sems4arsenal - 1

Only one Englishman has won the European Golden Shoe.
Who was he, what club was he playing for, how many league goals did he score?

Last edited:
Only one Englishman has won the European Golden Shoe.

I know that a few Brits have won one and I know a few forriners have won one at British clubs, but Englishmen?

Assuming it's not at a forrin club - Gary Lineker at Barcelona scored a hatful, but never the 30-or-so a season for Golden Boot and Gazza scored plenty at Rangers (not Lazio though) but not in one season - and it's not Shearer... the last English players to win the Premier League Golden Boot would be Andrew Cole, Chris Sutton and Kevin Phillips for Newcastle, Blackburn and Sunderland.

I'd have to look up the numbers of goals they scored, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was Cole or Sutton - the Premier League was still a 42 game season back when they played, so they should be pushing 35+, whereas Phillips managed to just break 30. But it might have been a lean season.

If it's not one of them... errr... it'll be Shearer, someone from 1927 or an Englishman abroad.

Wait, Shearer won the Premier League one a few times didn't he? With more than one bite at it in 40+ game seasons, I'll go for him.

Edit: Maybe not :lol:

Since I didn't actually make a guess - more discussed Englishmen in world football during the 1990s - that one's Tesla's.

Fair enough. I'd say we've danced around the answer enough.

Yes, Kevin Phillips scored 30 goals for Sunderland during a very prolific 1999/00 campaign to become the only Englishman to have won the European Golden Shoe. This was doubly amazing as it was Sunderland's first year back in the Premiership following their relegation in 1998.

Tesla, you're up!

I'll pass, I'm low on football trivia knowledge :lol: Only knew that one because I had a look on the Wikipedia page a few days before this thread was started (i.e I didn't cheat).

Last edited:
Okay...

Sunderland did it in 1979. Villa managed it in 1981. Who did it in 1980 - and what?

No - fairly sure the FA Cup was won by Arsenal in '79 and Spurs (it's lucky for Spurs when the year ends in 1) in '81. And I think West Ham in 1980.

Okay...

Sunderland did it in 1979. Villa managed it in 1981. Who did it in 1980 - and what?
Superb question... So it's Alan and Ricky, not AFC and Aston.

Brooking, scored the winning goal in the FA Cup final.

Here's a fairly straightforward one.

To my knowledge, 3 matches share the title of the highest scoring draw in British football. What was the score? And name all 6 clubs involved in the 3 matches.

Straight away I would suggest Arsenal 4-4 Newcastle United, but I can't think of any other matches with that scoreline. Or even a higher score draw...

Was one of the Manchester Derbies once 4-4?

Edit: daan Forsyth tells me it's higher anyway...

I know QPR were involved in a 4-4 someteen years ago - having been 4-0 down at half time - against Port Vale. If that's two of those off the top of the head in the BPL era alone, they're quite common. There's bound to be some 5-5s over the course of the last 150 years.

Also, he said "British". I suspect there'll be some Scottish in there :D Forfar 5?

Edit: Wait a minute... Motherwell (of course :D) played an utterly ridiculous draw only a couple of years ago. It was 6-6, I think.

I remember a game in Scotland being 7-7 either this season or last, but I don't know if that was full time or not or who was involved.

East Stirling, Soccer Special favourite!

And if I was to guess, Motherwell drew against... Aberdeen?

But as for another two matches of 5-5 or higher, I'm stumped!

I know Manchester United won 9-0 against Ipswich in 1995 and I think Chelsea have had a 9-0 but I don't know who it was against

EDIT: Maybe not

It was Hibs. I remember both clubs were in with a shout of Europe and it was one of the last games of the season. I recall Motherwell were three or four goals down and scored a last minute equaliser.

As for any other 6-6s... Buggered if I know.

Edit: In fact, a quick GTP search allows daan to tell us himself :D

So 6-6 and Motherwell/Hibs, ?/? and ?/? - no more Scots though, 'cos daan said 6-6 beat the previous high score record of 6-5, also with Motherwell playing.

Back