Not open for further replies.

TB

Space Lord
United States
NoDak
Cy-Fi
HhdQJ.jpg

The rules are as follows:

• Entries will accepted until 11:59pm (GMT) May 12th.
  • Each competition's voting will last for one week. The winner of that round will choose the next theme.
  • All entries must have been taken between within the last 6 months and preferably after the announcement of the theme.
  • Entries must be posted as a thumbnail no larger than 700px on the longest edge. Full sized images may be as larger as you'd like.*
  • You must submit only your own photographs, do not post anyone else's work.
  • Only one photograph per person, marked with Final Entry. You can change your entry, but must remove your current entry first and clearly state that you have posted a new entry.
  • You must not vote for your own photograph when the Poll is up. Only vote for a photograph taken by another entrant.
  • The photograph must be submitted with the following information: Subject, Date and Camera used and, if you'd like, the major camera settings - shutter speed, ISO, etc.
*While full sized images may be as larger as you'd like, you should try to limit them to approximately 1200px to enable viewing the entire image without scrolling. It's much easier to see the full effect of the shot when you can view it all at once and not have to pan.

Current theme: The Colour Blue

Air Force to Zaffre, the choice is up to you.

Good luck, everyone!

FishyJuice
I'd like to join if I have time. Editing isn't allowed in this?

There is nothing in the rules or discussion thread to suggest that. It's meant to be as free as possible to gather the maximum number of entries.

^ I would say a min play on the curves would be okay. Adding is a no-no. and removing would need to be discussed as to what extend (removing a debris, dead pixels,...)

In big lines : Lightroom yes, photoshop no.

I add or shoot something in the 2 weeks. nice vague theme 👍

There is nothing in the rules or discussion thread to suggest that. It's meant to be as free as possible to gather the maximum number of entries.

Okay. I didn't see anything in the guidelines, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for the answer. 👍

*ibo* S3 Racer
^ I would say a min play on the curves would be okay. Adding is a no-no. and removing would need to be discussed as to what extend (removing a debris, dead pixels,...)

In big lines : Lightroom yes, photoshop no.

I add or shoot something in the 2 weeks. nice vague theme 👍

Why not let someone splice together images though? It's a tough job that takes a lot of time and patience to do, if someone is willing to put in the effort then they should be rewarded with a chance to win the competition.

Last edited:
Why not let someone splice together
images though? It's a tough job that takes a lot of time and patience to do, if someone is willing to put in the effort then they should be rewarded with a chance to win the competition.
Maybe so, but this is a photography comp, not a photo/editing comp. I intentionally left editing out of the rules in hopes that people wouldn't feel the need to completely overhaul their pictures but perhaps I should add it in.

Digital dark room techniques are fine. Honestly, if digital dark room isn't permitted I'll lose a lot of interest because it helps immensely in producing the desired final image and feeling.

Digital dark room techniques are fine. Honestly, if digital dark room isn't permitted I'll lose a lot of interest because it helps immensely in producing the desired final image and feeling.
Agreed. There's no way I'm crazy enough to say you have to submit the shot exactly as it was when it was taken. As I (as well as many of you, too) shoot RAW, all of my shots come out somewhat soft and flat. Post does wonders and won't be going away. 👍

What I don't want to see is a unicorn shopped into the shot. :lol:

Testing blue output.

100_9061.jpg

100_9062.jpg

Edit: Thanks for the heads-up on th ISO, TB. I posted these not only for me to check the output on various displays (they were all different - since we're not dealing with static, objective images) and yes, the grain was quite pronounced - a nice effect if one was trying to be 'painterly'.

Some last checks:

100_9077.jpg

100_9126.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the ISO might be a bit too high, especially in the second one.

And let me guess - everyone is going to wait until next Friday to submit their shots? :lol:

Or they're not going to submit one. :nervous:

Last edited:
I'll submit, don't worry. Just extremely busy with mathematics coursework and life. Like, my friends are questioning my mental state busy :P

Well, expect to see my incredibly amateur-ish entry in a few days time. So... Beware of the horror. :P

I will submit too... Just need to think of something to shoot ;)

I intend to enter after the weekend, hoping I can get something that fits the theme at Donington. If not I have a back-up shot I can use!

I intend to enter after the weekend, hoping I can get something that fits the theme at Donington. If not I have a back-up shot I can use!

That's what I plan on too. I originally spent the first two days of the competition trying to shoot stuff that was blue until I realised it's an incredibly hard subject to execute well. I've got an idea of the shot I want to find at Donny though.

I've got half an idea, but if it doesn't look like it does in my head when I shoot it, I may not bother.

Alright. I'll stop hounding you guys about submitting. :lol:

And I didn't intend blue to be difficult, bto.

I should have one up this weekend! Btw so is the only editing allowed in this stuff that enhances the photo like contrast and HDR effects? I can't add a bluish tint or anything right?

Adding a bluish tint, within reason, should be fine I feel - it is entirely possible to do with old film and printing methods.

Gah, I had not seen this. I'll give it a go when I find something, er, blue.

Gah this is really tricky, I've got tonnes of blue things but none of them make for a decent picture

Hmm, I shall give this a shot and kick off the entries with this effort:
Final Entry

Taken using - Panasonic DMC-FS35
Post processed in GIMP

Last edited:
Final entry
No longer final entry, see page 3
6997559648_eb71c67aa7_b.jpg

Panasonic Lumix FZ45
Edited using GIMP

I doubt I will be able to shoot anything better than this, which in itself is pretty bad :( I had never seen the sky this shade of blue at sunset before

Last edited:
Nice shot, Soloracer.

Pagey - Feel free to ignore me but if I were you, I'd crop the shot down a touch to get rid of the light pole on the left and the... whatever it is in the top right corner.

That would also likely get your down below the 700pixel limit. ;)

TB
Nice shot, Soloracer.

Pagey - Feel free to ignore me but if I were you, I'd crop the shot down a touch to get rid of the light pole on the left and the... whatever it is in the top right corner.

That would also likely get your down below the 700pixel limit. ;)

Well this is slightly embarrassing......I don't know how.
But I'm 100% certain it won't win, I doubt there was much point in me entering at all this week :(

Well this is slightly embarrassing......I don't know how.
1. Download and install GIMP.
2. Read this (cropping is down about halfway).
3. ???
4. Profit.

It should only be embarrassing if you're unwilling to learn how to edit your shots. :)
But I'm 100% certain it won't win, I doubt there was much point in me entering at all this week :(
Winning is never the point for me. I know I'm not going to win. It's more about getting the camera in my hands and shooting something I might not otherwise have. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back