Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,481 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Port Talbot, 20th, not really a surprise. But Cardiff? That's surprising.

And Bath, nice city, quite boring student wise but decent nonetheless.

Roseberry Topping and the Transporter Bridge :lol:

I've got an excellent photo of the Transporter Bridge, as it happens :D

Lincoln needs to be on the list as well. Its an awful city.

No city that features this as a signpost can be classed as awful:

mmmmlincoln.jpg

My thoughts exactly 👍
Low on culture and character, high on chavs.

You're right. This town is teeming with them, especially in the southern part where I live. However, the regeneration project in the centre should improve that part of town, even if it is just a cosmetic improvement. Anything would be better than what we have there right now.

No city that features this as a signpost can be classed as awful:

Or a University advert like this:

:P

Last edited:
Thank you :D Bath is a great place to live in, and trouble is pretty rare, apart from one rare occasion last year, it's a fantastic place to be.

Would that be that guy who was kidnapped and murdered on his way back from a club?

PeterJB
Would that be that guy who was kidnapped and murdered on his way back from a club?

I think so, it sticks in the memory as it doesn't happen often around here. Maybe why we are so high up the list. Apart from that I can't really think of any murders in Bath, recently anyway.

I think so, it sticks in the memory as it doesn't happen often around here. Maybe why we are so high up the list. Apart from that I can't really think of any murders in Bath, recently anyway.

The only other one I can think of was that girl killed in the 90's who's body was found on the side of a motorway recently.

Wait, what?!

Someone got murdered in the 90's and the killer only recently dumped the body?!

Or do you mean that the body was "found" by someone digging it up or the area got eroded?

[pause thread]

OK, a few days late to the party, but I'll drop this here:

Thought I'd be further into the right, but I'll take that.

[/pause thread]

Wait, what?!

Someone got murdered in the 90's and the killer only recently dumped the body?!

Or do you mean that the body was "found" by someone digging it up or the area got eroded?

This uni student was killed sometime in the mid 90's, then her body was found in a bin bag by the side of a motorway a year or two ago.

murder happens everywhere, Fracking doesn't but has been given the go ahead in the UK.

on the plus side - ooo might be able to capture the free gas from the kitchen sink tap

Emptyone
Thank you :D Bath is a great place to live in, and trouble is pretty rare, apart from one rare occasion last year, it's a fantastic place to be.

I agree, I was born in Bath and live 20 minutes away (frome) and I go there pretty much every week, in fact I'm going there tomorrow.
It's the nicest city I have been to, you can walk through the poorest parts of town and feel perfectly safe. Something which can't be said about bristol or many many other cities.
I can only think of one reason why its so high on the list. Students.
Well that and its a pretty expensive place to buy a house, mainly because its a pretty affluent part of the country.

Other than that I am COMPLETELY dumbfounded as to why its 7th :confused:

I agree, I was born in Bath and live 20 minutes away (frome) and I go there pretty much every week, in fact I'm going there tomorrow.
Well that and its a pretty expensive place to buy a house, mainly because its a pretty affluent part of the country.

I don't think having two universities in close proximity to the city makes it any better, or worse. It's high placing does seem rather odd. I must say though, i do know someone who appeared on Crimewatch in the Southgate area, which doesn't help Bath's profile 👎 Also, how does it being expensive make it a bad place to live :crazy:

Also, as haitch40 noted, the Conservatives have rather failed in the council elections, with labour gaining hundreds of seats. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/vote2012/council/gb.stm And yet Hague comes on tv and says it's 'expected of a mid-term governement' ! This I could understand, if the growth showed what they're doing is working ... it doesn't,

Hooray! Only 45th!

Bit surprised Edinburgh's up so high though. Kirstie & Phil liked it, at least.

Tom
Where the heck is Thanet on this list?!

Bit surprised too now I think about it. Nowt but cabbage fields and a shopping centre that feels like a film set - should be right up there on depression factor.

And a crumbling roller-coaster, obviously. And an art gallery that looks like an A-level student made it from polystyrene.

It's the nicest city I have been to, you can walk through the poorest parts of town and feel perfectly safe. Something which can't be said about bristol or many many other cities.

Perhaps because it's boring?

It's pretty interesting for tourists, has plenty of shops, a decent cinema, a big park, a good Rugby team, easy road and rail access, and it's very historical. Shame these days all my friends use it for is the clubs.

The Lib Dems have now realised that they should not have entered the coalition. Like I said its's Lloyd George all over again.

haitch40
The Lib Dems have now realised that they should not have entered the coalition. Like I said its's Lloyd George all over again.

Well it wasn't so much of a choice as a necessity. The Lib Dems haven't enjoyed power since their modern inception as a party in the 70's, and Clegg would have been criticised if he didn't take up the opportunity, which the party has also wanted. If he had turned it down, the conservatives were stuck without a majority, and thus would struggle to achieve their aims in parliament. Clegg didn't have a choice, and either way he would have been criticised in the end, it was a lose/lose situation for the Lib Dems.

Well it wasn't so much of a choice as a necessity. The Lib Dems haven't enjoyed power since their modern inception as a party in the 70's

1988, but still valid points.

Clegg has gone from kingmaker to teamaker. The phrase, "Operation Human Shield", springs to mind.

Well it wasn't so much of a choice as a necessity. The Lib Dems haven't enjoyed power since their modern inception as a party in the 70's, and Clegg would have been criticised if he didn't take up the opportunity, which the party has also wanted. If he had turned it down, the conservatives were stuck without a majority, and thus would struggle to achieve their aims in parliament. Clegg didn't have a choice, and either way he would have been criticised in the end, it was a lose/lose situation for the Lib Dems.

True but no one would have critisised him as strongly as they are doing now. The party could be appeased if he brought up the Lloyd George coalition as his argument as he knew it would be the same setup just he has even less power as he is deputy pm.

If they went with Labour I could have seen it turning out better than the conservatives as well they are closer in their ideas and aims than the current setup.

I thought the Lib dems policies were more in line with Labour's than the Cons at the time as well.

Yeh the original liberal party made a pact with Labour as well in the early 1900's saying that they would support eachother as their aims were close enough to eachothers to do that. Although new parties they still have similar ideals and thus they would still work out better.

Back