Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,481 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
haitch40
True but no one would have critisised him as strongly as they are doing now. The party could be appeased if he brought up the Lloyd George coalition as his argument as he knew it would be the same setup just he has even less power as he is deputy pm.

If they went with Labour as well I could have seen it turning out better than the conservatives.

The problem is, the Lloyd George argument was a long time ago, and with the party under a different name. Labour would have required a Rainbow coalition, uniting all the parties aside from the Conservatives just to get a majority, which would have been fundamentally unstable, with so many differing interests. Clegg had to go Conservative in the end.

Ah liquid I forgot the date, I knew it was relatively recent, but not that recent.

At 1ness
^ Oh, so Clegg did have the choice to choose Labour instead, so he didn't have to go with the Cons then.

A choice in so far as options were available to him, but politically it would not have worked. There were two alternatives but only one viable option realistically for him, and the government to function. Which was the conservatives.

A choice in so far as options were available to him, but politically it would not have worked. There were two alternatives but only one viable option realistically for him, and the government to function. Which was the conservatives.

So to repeat, He did have a choice/options (which ever way you look at it). (imo) i think he chose wrong (probably the easiest option/choice in his eyes)... i don't know why but i'm thinking maybe he was promised things by the Cons to sweeten the deal, to which the Cons later backed out on once the deal was done.. I could be completely wrong as i don't think there's any proof of what iv'e said, just putting the idea out there.

At 1ness
So to repeat, He did have a choice/options (which ever way you look at it). (imo) i think he chose wrong (probably the easiest option/choice in his eyes)... i don't know why but i'm thinking maybe he was promised things by the Cons to sweeten the deal, to which the Cons later backed out on once the deal was done.. I could be completely wrong as i don't think there's any proof of what iv'e said, just putting the idea out there.

I do remember at the time Labour were approached first, but Ed Balls was reported to be extremely forceful in his dealing with the Lib Dems, and that put them off. Conservatives were more happy to compromise, especially on the referendum on the vote. This as well as the fact that the Conservatives gained far more of the vote and thus were seen as the winners by the public, and perhaps the Lib Dems themselves. I can't remember the exact dealings from the time, but that seemed to be the consensus.

The only decent politician who would've made a brilliant PM was Mo Mowlam. But as is always the case, the good die young :(

My main observation about Britain: the weather is 🤬

I wasn't part of that consensus, and remember a lot of people being disappointed by the outcome...

My partner agrees about Mo Mowlam, she did great things and after what she did for Ireland.. she should never have been replaced (Blair's doings i think), and yeah i'm sick of the rain too.

The only decent politician who would've made a brilliant PM was Mo Mowlam. But as is always the case, the good die young :(

My main observation about Britain: the weather is 🤬

It's actually insane how cloudy it's been this year. You literally go weeks here without seeing direct sunlight, or the stars.

haitch40
Yep weather sucks.

But its Britain. What do you expect?

This. However, bad weather all through April and then predicted all through May is slightly unusual ... Hopefully it clears up this week.

Stop talking about the weather. Those yanks love a stereotype! :dopey:

obese2.jpg

Us Europeans must help defend each other.

:lol:

Peter: what about in the rest of the Netherlands?

What makes Britain, Great?

No city that features this as a signpost can be classed as awful:

mmmmlincoln.jpg

I went there today. I can confirm that yes its real not photoshopped. Still yet to find the glory hole it points to though.

Always looks alright on television. Like York.

But, I've never visited either so I don't know if that's the truth or not.

Saw the Olympic torch today as it passed through Bath .. Rather brought out the patriotism in a load of people.

Bit of a corporate thing though beforehand, Lloyds TSB, Samsung buses advertising, but the feeling was good among the people :)

Also, it's summer again now, nice and hot again.

Yeah, I know one who carried it down bathwick hill. There seems rather to be a rush to sell them online on EBay, which is a shame, but only expected for people to cash in on it ...

I watched it go through frome town centre it was quite a cool experience, and I guess once in a life time. It seemed like the whole town turned out, and it would have been even better if it was jenson button carrying it through his home town but hey.

I found out that each torch bearer only carries it for 300 metres, I thought it would have been further than that.

Last edited:
Paxman makes a statement at the Leveson inquiry and alludes that Piers Morgan, infamously a tabloid editor during the 1990s and early 2000s, knew how to hack phones and alledgedly taunted Ulrika Jonsson about her conversations with Sven Goran-Eriksson, bearing in mind this was before that news became public.

And in a classic 'jumping to conclusions/guilt by denial' manner...

Piers Morgan's Twitter

Bonus link of Piers Morgan's previous testimony at the inquiry.

Paxman makes a statement at the Leveson inquiry and alludes that Piers Morgan, infamously a tabloid editor during the 1990s and early 2000s, knew how to hack phones and alledgedly taunted Ulrika Jonsson about her conversations with Sven Goran-Eriksson, bearing in mind this was before that news became public.

And in a classic 'jumping to conclusions/guilt by denial' manner...

Bonus link of Piers Morgan's previous testimony at the inquiry.

I shall turn to Scotland to sum up my feelings on this matter.

Frankie Boyle
Piers Morgan told someone how to hack a phone? Oh no, that's put me right off him.

I hope Piers Morgan isn't jailed for phone hacking. I'd rather his perineum was smashed in with a fire extinguisher.

I shall turn to Scotland to sum up my feelings on this matter.

I'd love to hear what would be found if Frankie Boyle's phone was hacked. :lol:

Quite. It says a lot that even ardent Clarkson-haters still appreciate the time he punched Piers Morgan in the face.
As far as I can tell, Piers is one of the better anchors on American news. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's on Ron Paul's side - I'd support Moussolini if he was on Ron Paul's side.

Back