Caterham Fireblade is a little underwhelming...

• Thread starter MockngBrd
  • 116 comments
Big deal, PD botched the gearing. They do it all the time, look at the SRT-4 for example. In about the time it takes to read a three page thread whining about it you can fix it yourself. A Greek tragedy it is not.

Then bugger off into your own thread about your supreme tuning ability. đź’ˇ

Big deal, PD botched the gearing. They do it all the time, look at the SRT-4 for example. In about the time it takes to read a three page thread whining about it you can fix it yourself. A Greek tragedy it is not.

Then bugger off into your own thread about your supreme tuning ability. đź’ˇ

Not a smart idea from either of you.

Discuss the points and argue them all you like, but the second you start taking cheap shots at each other you break the AUP.

Continue to do this and the staff will take action, and we have the ability to get you to 'bugger off' from the site.

Scaff

Ive gotten it MAXXED out 0-60 in about 4 seconds on racing softs which it should do stock. It is about 1/2 as fast as it should be, and yes has way too much inertia and such.

One thing Im fairly sure of though is that in real life it is able to reach 100 km/hr in first gear due to the gearing that it has, yet 6th is a bit less then 240 km/hr.

I am going to disagree here. The Caterham is my favourite car! The first time I drove it was without an oil change or engine rebuild at ~24,000 miles, needless to say that it never got used since that first test drive. Then, one day, I decided that I was going to fully tune it to see what it could really do. So I spent however many thousand adding extra power etcetera only to be disappointed again.

Then I adjusted the transmission and it became my favourite car!

couldnt agree more,with the right setup this car CAN keep up to the big dogs,takes skill and ALOT of corners

Big deal, PD botched the gearing. They do it all the time, look at the SRT-4 for example. In about the time it takes to read a three page thread whining about it you can fix it yourself.
I'm pretty sure "look at all this other stuff that PD screwed up" isn't a valid defense for them screwing up something.

I love this car. It pretty much embodies what I love about Gran Turismo; you can drive whatever you want. Going from a Group C car, barely hanging on while doing laps of the 'ring, to a JDM shopping car at Tsukuba then to a custom-made circuit in a superlight track car which revs to over 10,000rpm is amazing, especially as each car has it's own pretty impressive and convincing (if not 100% accurate) physics simulation.

So yeah, I love this car.

I've just got around to fettling the gear ratios, and stumbled upon another issue I'd seen mentioned elsewhere, but never fully understood.

The ratios available to place in the gearbox itself actually depend on the "maximum speed" setting. That is, setting the maximum speed to the maximum (261 mph, or equivalent) gives overall taller ratios for every gear, decreasing both the maximum and minimum in the selectable range. E.g. first gear can be between about 3.5 and 5 with max speed set to 261 mph, but it can only be between 5.5 and 7.5 with max speed set to 112 mph.

This means that the ratios used in the standard box cannot be selected in the fully custom, since the available range is not wide enough for all gears to be correct. Setting the "maximum speed" value to the minimum that allows the top speed (i.e. ratio in top gear) to be accurate results in the minimum ratios available for first, second, third and fourth being too high, so that the ratios are too short in those gears. Adjust the maximum speed setting to the maximum that just gives the correct first gear ratio at its minimum range and the opposite is true: fourth, fifth and sixth are now all too tall.

Also, the actual range of ratios available per gear varies with maximum speed - at 261 mph, the lower limit for first gear is ~ 70% of the upper limit, at 112 mph it's ~ 75%. The relative range available in each gear is different, too: 2nd gear's lower limit is ~ 80 % of the upper limit at 112 mph.
Oddly, the final drive is unaffected, and its extremes can produce some very silly ratios indeed, so "preventing silly ratios" is not a defence of the system as-is. However, the final dirve setting will affect the range of ratios available after changing the maximum speed setting.

The maths is clearly messed up, and I don't really know what they were trying to achieve here! What was wrong with the gear selection interface in GT1? It even had quick-scrolling using R1 and R2. The mind boggles, it really does.
Until they fix this issue, as well as the engine inertia and clutch physics, this car will continue to be horrendous without resorting to mild tuning.

EDIT: I found a compromise in gear ratios that gives something close to the ones I posted before, assuming the stock ratios are all missing a 3/2 step down. I tried to get as close as possible within the limitations of the interface by exploiting the final drive setting bug I mentioned above. First I set the final drive to 3.800 and then reduced the maximum speed to 112 (minimum) and selected the ratios in the "fixed" column below. Then I set the final drive to 2.780 to get the correct ratios overall (except sixth).

Gear....Real......Fixed.....Relative (%)
1st.....4.154.....4.884.....100.0
2nd.....3.000.....3.620.....97.5
3rd.....2.367.....2.812.....99.0
4th.....2.100.....2.470.....100.0
5th.....1.875.....2.197.....100.4
6th.....1.760.....1.873.....110.5
Final...3.270.....2.780......--

Note that only sixth gear is grossly incorrect here, and is too tall by about 10 percent, which serves to increase its theoretical top speed. Be aware that these ratios have only been tested with the car otherwise unmodified, but it is a vast improvement over stock settings and retains the overall character much better than the close ratio options (except for sixth gear, of course).

Last edited:
Find a good tune for it, it needs to have the lower gears adjusted(1st,2nd) in order for it to accelerate better. With a good tune it becomes an excellent little car, and is a blast around the Nurburgring, and its easily one of my favourite cars in GT5(with a good tune of course)

From these videos of the real thing in action, I would have to agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq46Q1f0Cog&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN29Pgxg1pE&feature=related

Looks like the Caterham R500 was the faster of the two. I'm curious as to why they chose the Fireblade over the other variants, but then again, we're talking about the same group that decided that the game was better off with multiple variants of the same car...

They chose the Fireblade because it has a Honda motor in it...60%, this is not a coincidence or anything, lol. Does anyone use the close ratio gear boxes? I find it's better (for me at least) to just buy the full and then mess with it a little...same acceleration but higher top speed generally.

murder for a proper engined caterham. Driven one in anger before and they are 10x slideways than on the game.

Fix the gear ratios and switch the tyres to Comfort Softs, or lower. ;)
It's great fun on the 'Ring.

Tyre selection on the real cars is usually down to personal preference regarding size and compound / tread pattern against the intended use (i.e. track weapon versus Sunday blaster, etc.) The Fireblade has relatively wide tyres for a Seven at 205/60/13, whereas most other road-going Sevens would probably be around 185-195s tops simply for the fun-factor.

Fix the gear ratios and switch the tyres to Comfort Softs, or lower. ;)
In GT5 most sports cars would have Comfort Softs in real life, as they are supposed to represent performance street tires suitable for everyday driving.
Sports tires in GT5 are street-legal semi-slicks tires for track-day use. Very few cars would have them as original factory equipment in real life.

Still off-topic, but also, as a general guide:
Comfort medium tires => general purpose touring street tires (that you would find on most passenger cars, saloons, etc)
Comfort hard tires => eco, low rolling resistance tires (mostly found on minivans, citycars, etc)

Yeah I love this car too - but I think the stock gearing is fine (though nothing wrong with tuned gearing)

*It just takes a whole different style of driving for this car*

With stock gearing, this car just needs to be kept 'on the boil' the whole way around the track. It will take a while to get the revs up through 1st and 2nd gear but the beauty of this car is that it can take the smallest, tightest corners at a pace and at *REVS* that no other cars could do, therefore rarely needing to drop back to the really tall 1st and 2nd gears. If you utilise the entire width of the track with proper and accurate racing line, you should be able to maintain speed and Revs to *keep the car in its powerband*, and absolutely fly around the track.

Just isnt easy to do as its such a different way of driving to most other cars in the game. đź‘Ť

Yeah I love this car too - but I think the stock gearing is fine (though nothing wrong with tuned gearing)

*It just takes a whole different style of driving for this car*

With stock gearing, this car just needs to be kept 'on the boil' the whole way around the track. It will take a while to get the revs up through 1st and 2nd gear but the beauty of this car is that it can take the smallest, tightest corners at a pace and at *REVS* that no other cars could do, therefore rarely needing to drop back to the really tall 1st and 2nd gears. If you utilise the entire width of the track with proper and accurate racing line, you should be able to maintain speed and Revs to *keep the car in its powerband*, and absolutely fly around the track.

Just isnt easy to do as its such a different way of driving to most other cars in the game. đź‘Ť

The stock gear ratios are wrong. The real car is not geared for 200 mph!
Keeping the car in its powerband is easy thanks to the substantial overlap betweeen 3rd, 4th, 5th and (to a lesser extent) 6th, but it's much better (in untuned form, in my opinion, of course) if you correct the ratios and retain the relative overlaps.

I have 4, ill have to sort the gears out like people have mentioned.

I only because aware of this car after GT4 and was excited to drive it but was alittle let down when I did but hopefully the gearing info will help

Makes me wonder if they used the gear ratios of the Honda Fireblade bike which is capable of doing about 190 mph instead of the gear ratios of the Caterham itself, which indeed isn't geared to reach anything near 200mph.

Makes me wonder if they used the gear ratios of the Honda Fireblade bike which is capable of doing about 190 mph instead of the gear ratios of the Caterham itself, which indeed isn't geared to reach anything near 200mph.

Me too, except the motorcycle has a different size driven wheel and different "final drive" (sprocket) ratio, so it's more likely to have a different top speed anyway. It's possible whoever "did" this car thought "hmm, Fireblade - 200 mph" without even thinking. Although, I am so very curious as to why the final drive is bang on in that case, owing to the rear axle coming from a Morris Marina.

So, it does seem they used the ratios of the clusters directly, but forgot about all the other stuff that goes on in motorcycle gearboxes, that don't typically appear in most car gearboxes.

I agree with the OP. I just don't get the feeling of speed from driving this thing that I thought I would.

Another car that disappointed me is the Lancia Delta HF (Premium). Heard raves about it...bought it...ugh, so slow.

I agree with the OP. I just don't get the feeling of speed from driving this thing that I thought I would.

Another car that disappointed me is the Lancia Delta HF (Premium). Heard raves about it...bought it...ugh, so slow.

Haha absolutely agree on both.

Drove yesterday the caterham on the Nurb, wellllllllll, son, I am dissapoint...

Bite your tongue!!

Lancia's are flipping amazing!!

The Delta is a Hot Hatch from the early 90's, so it's not going going to blow the doors of Modern Golf GTI's, Focus', or Renault's but it's still a great car.

And the noise from the back is glorious. The only car I drive in third person....

On sports hard tyres I did an 8'40.3 on the ring (slow yes, leave me alone haha)

It drifts easily and I fell in love with the car ever since.

Keeping the car in its powerband is easy thanks to the substantial overlap betweeen 3rd, 4th, 5th and (to a lesser extent) 6th, but it's much better (in untuned form, in my opinion, of course) if you correct the ratios and retain the relative overlaps.

Yeah fair enough they arent accurate to real life, but I think people here may be confusing the accuracy of the gear ratios with the unique way you need to drive this car...

I'm pretty dissapointed too with the underwhelming power.
But when i fit with sports soft, god, that thing really amazing to handle.
Wheel spin at 150km/h, that's what i call GAR-ish. đź‘Ť

Sorry, no disappointment found, just have to swap out stock transmission for Customizable or short geared ones, the caterham is a brilliant little car for skillful drivers, I add a little extra power in mine to bump up power to 180hp-ish.

Back