College Basketball: 2023-2024 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 103 comments
Damn. Late to the party again

But yea, I’ll be pulling for the wildcats during the tournament. Let’s see if they choke or not like they were apt to during the regular season 😑

I can't believe that happened. I get a U of M football championship, the Lions being 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl, and now OU winning all in 2024. What is happening? The Pistons aren't in last place, and the Wings might make the playoffs too!

Also, Gohlke is insane. I'm glad so many people got to see him ball out tonight.

Sorry @Jordan I never expected that in a million years.

View attachment 1339259
I've got to hand it to him, that dude came to play. Congratulations on a massive win; please go on and win the whole thing now.

I didn't recognize the Kentucky team that took the floor tonight, they looked lost and unprepared. Inexplicable and inexcusable when you have a Hall of Fame coach who has led six other (young) teams to the Final Four at a program like Kentucky. I have never seen our fanbase this upset, and I have never seen this many people calling for Calipari's job.

Damn, Oakland and Iowa St ruined my bracket. I put SDSU through so that FAU could have a grudge match. Crazy tournament so far. Let's see what happens tomorrow!

If John Calipari is fired from Kentucky he is owed over $33 million but from how I understand it if he is hired somewhere else within a certain time or he retires, he is not owed the money.
I want him to either retire or get hired somewhere not in the SEC.

The Michigan job is open and someone like Calipari could certainly help after the Juwan Howard collapse.

I can't wait to see Oakland against NC State. While the Wolfpack is going to be tough, they're not at the level Kentucky is, so there's definitely a chance. I honestly won't know what to do if Oakland makes it to the Sweet 16. Also, with OU's win, there are now no longer any D1 teams in Michigan that haven't won a tournament game. Granted, OU has won a play-in game before, but last night was their first proper tournament win.

Wow- the lights were on bright, and Oakland went off. Especially the one Golden Grizzly who knocked down 10 3's. I know people in Lexington are not very happy after this latest postseason fail. Congratulations on the head-to-head, Joey D! :)

Other teams 9th seed or lower to win Thursday:
  • #9W Michigan State (69-51 over Mississippi State)
  • #11MW Oregon (87-73 over South Carolina)
  • #11E Duquesne (71-67 over BYU)
  • #11S North Carolina State (80-67 over Texas Tech)

Florida Atlantic had a lovely run last season. This postseason? Out early. The Northwestern Wildcats 86'ed the Owls out of the 2023-2024 Tournament with a 77-65 victory in Overtime. All congratulations to Omnis's FAU Owls on a great season.

Any more updates, I'll update this post or make a new one.

No sweat for the University of Houston in the South Region. Houston smashes the Longwood Lancers 86-48. Houston's next opponent is Texas A&M in the Round of 32. This one can be a tricky match for the Cougars against the Aggies of former Big XII school, Texas A&M.

RIP Florida teams. Colorado got away with an offensive foul on that last basket. Lucky they got some nice clock-eating bounce, too, before going in.

Purdue actually played like a #1 team last night. The 2nd half was stress free. Edey put up 30 points and 21 rebounds, the first player with a 30-20 since 1995.

Man, Oakland almost had it. I'm still really happy with the season though. Manage to finally win the Horizon league and advance past the round of 64 making it the best season in school history.

It also looks like Dusty May is going to Michigan.

Last edited:
It was 100-95 in Overtime as Houston downed Texas A&M in Memphis. This is the fifth time ever in NCAA Division 1 men's basketball history the 1st and 2nd seeds all advance to the Sweet Sixteen.

Houston gets Duke next in Dallas. Oh, boy...

I love the pettiness of Louisville fans.

1711375355765.png

Is/Are your favorite team(s) still alive for a National Championship? Is your National Champion pick still alive in the tournament? If you answered yes to either or both questions, good job!

We whittle down the remaining 16 teams on the men's and women's sides to 8, and then eventually four. Every team you face in the tournament will give their best shot, and you have to be ready to give your best effort. The season will be over if you fail at this point. A trip to the Final Four awaits!

Back at it later this week.

Today, Purdue was just in a funk in certain aspects. Edey was on the bench 2 minutes into the game with 2 fouls, and we held steady for a bit until Wisconsin finally started to get the better of us with him out. Also, we couldn't hit a 3 to save our lives. Even then, it was still tied going into halftime. The second half was a back and forth affair. Annoyingly, the Boilers never could eek out a decent lead. We failed to ever get more than a 1 score lead thanks to turnovers, and that also helped lead the Badgers to not only tie it at the end of regulation, but to also take their lead with 5 seconds left in OT. Hopefully, we've got that of our system. Which leads me to below...

In a way, I don't mind Purdue's loss today. I think it takes some pressure off not having to continue a winning streak. We'll start the tournament fresh. And it will also give Edey and Braden Smith some time to heal up from their injuries they have sustained over the past two games. I personally played basketball first in school. Then something didn’t work out and I transferred to the football team. It brought me a lot of pleasure. Moreover, the teachers were loyal to everyone who plays sports. I often searched for capstone project topics, used https://papersowl.com/blog/best-capstone-project-topic-ideas for that. After training I don’t want to do anything, many will understand me. It’s a pity that I didn’t manage to get into the professional league.
Wow. Oh my god it's only 5 seconds :scared:

Last edited:
Louisville was pretty trash this season, so I guess they did this to be relevant and get in a good laugh. It will also mean the U. of Kentucky will have incentive to whack their rivals next season.

Sweet Sixteen begins Thursday. Get ready!

It's the Sweet Sixteen now! Despite its name, it won't be very sweet for the teams who will be eliminated in this round. Hope your schools don't have to settle for next season for another crack at a National Championship.

Enjoy the Sweet Sixteen, GTPlanet!

The University of Houston Cougars are DONE. As J. Shead went down earlier in their match against Duke, the Coogs are the second No. 1 seed to fall in this season's March Madness. 54-51 was the defeat UH took in their ousting from the Tournament. They were the No. 1 seed in the South and fell to one of the most storied programs in all of college basketball. No shame losing to Duke, but this stinks for the U. of Houston.

Oh, well. Congratulations to Duke, and also congratulations to the University of Houston on a stellar season. Congratulations to whomever wins the National Championship. It won't be UH after this fail. :(

Last edited:
Sorry for your Cougars, John. Purdue had a killer second half against Gonzaga to cruise to a victory. It that the only team left for any of us GTPlaneteers?

Meanwhile, Tennessee knocked off Creighton to make only their second ever Elite 8. They have never made the Final Four. I hope the Boilers can keep it that way!

The University of Houston Cougars are DONE. As J. Shead went down earlier in their match against Duke, the Coogs are the second No. 1 seed to fall in this season's March Madness. 54-51 was the defeat UH took in their ousting from the Tournament. They were the No. 1 seed in the South and fell to one of the most storied programs in all of college basketball. No shame losing to Duke, but this stinks for the U. of Houston.

Oh, well. Congratulations to Duke, and also congratulations to the University of Houston on a stellar season. Congratulations to whomever wins the National Championship. It won't be UH after this fail. :(
I was thinking of you watching the ending of the UH/Duke game last night, John. It's a bad feeling, especially when you are a 1 seed, but congratulations on an awesome season.

That kid Edey is a FREAK. Who is gonna stop him? It's like watching prime Shaq just bullying guys. The matchup with big DJ and then UConn's big is going to be good.

That kid Edey is a FREAK. Who is gonna stop him? It's like watching prime Shaq just bullying guys. The matchup with big DJ and then UConn's big is going to be good.
I've not watched NC State before, so when I turned on the game in the second half and saw Burns, I was very confused. The guy looks more like a football lineman than a basketball player. Edey's a large dude. Obviously tall and got some body mass but built VERY differently. :lol:

He thinks he's Kobe or Zion or something with some of his moves. It was hilarious in the early game when he was throwing up bricks doing fadeaways out of the post. I think coach had a discussion with him. :lol:

Purdue vs NC. State the immovable force vs the unstoppable object. Burns (immovable force) vs Edey (the unstoppable object) and I can't wait for it 😀

Back