Curse of GT5

• Thread starter ncbF430
  • 42 comments
Back in the day, when I played old gt's and Forzas, i always used a controller. I loved the games but never invested in a steering wheel. With GT5 I finally got around to buying a steering wheel and fell in love with it instantly. Playing 2 player with my friends and switching off between controller and steering wheel felt awful. It wasn't the same without the steering wheel. I got Forza 4 today. I love the game. It is so polished. You can see the effort. My only gripe however is I don't have an xbox compatible steering wheel and thus I have to use a controller. It just doesn't feel right :( I am holding out to get the CSR Elite. But for now it is borderline unplayable because I got so used to the steering wheel. Anybody else in the same situation?

(Has there been any hint of the Elite's release date?)

They need an official wheel that matches the DFGT in both convenience price, and tech. In other words, a good beginner-novice wheel. Where you dont have to buy separate parts.

I agree. The quality of the DFGT was fantastic especially for the price. However, I do not paying the price for the upgrade and I feel like the regular CSR will be too similar to the DFGT.

Totally on board with you guys. I initially bought the MS wheel first, then bought the DFGT for GT5 about year later. At least Forza 4 feels a little better to me with this MS wheel, then again it is probably the placebo affect!

I'm in the same boat as well, it's hard to deal with but yeah, no choice :(

i won't buy it, simply because G25 doesn't work with xbox. If it would, i'd buy the whole package tommorow. 200€ for wheel, and then another 300 for uncompatible xbox 360, forget it.

Get the fanatech wheel. Trust me you will not be dissapointed. When forza 3 released i invested in a PWTS wheel and clubsport pedals as well as the wheel stand. Playing forza 4 on it is AMAZING!!!!! Not to mention the wheel works for ps3, pc and x box and is totally compatible with the new wheel should mine go out. Yeah you spend a little more for the wheel but honestly what you get will have you never wanting to play with any other wheel again.

Same here. Just waiting for some more feedback on the CSR before ordering one. Once you play with a wheel for so long, playing with a controller is pretty boring.

If the Xbox worked with a DFGT I'd have bought one already. As it is I'm still struggling to justify purchasing an $800 wheel for one platform. Yeah, a Fanatec would be a step up from a DFGT for the PS3 and PC as well but...$800.

I hate Australia sometimes. :(

It's such a shame that Forza can't be on PC as well.. I'm using the old MS wheel which is alright, although I'm definately debating getting a Fanatec for x-mas.

I've been gaming with My G25 for too long now, and consider upgrading it to the new Thrustmaster T500RS. Knowing that both don't work with XBox/FM4, oh well, Microsoft lost a good $300 of investment from me, so sale. I'm sure it's a great game, but I am happy to follow GT5 forever. No way in green hell would I ever touch a car game without a wheel.

If Microsoft and Logitech could work out a licensing / adapter deal, they could rake in gobs of mula.

If microsoft is reading this, I am saluting you with my middle finger.

/sent from my Windows 7 PC armed to the teeth for Skyrim and Diablo 3 <= if and whenever

I've been gaming with My G25 for too long now, and consider upgrading it to the new Thrustmaster T500RS. Knowing that both don't work with XBox/FM4, oh well, Microsoft lost a good $300 of investment from me, so sale. I'm sure it's a great game, but I am happy to follow GT5 forever. No way in green hell would I ever touch a car game without a wheel.

If Microsoft and Logitech could work out a licensing / adapter deal, they could rake in gobs of mula.

If microsoft is reading this, I am saluting you with my middle finger.

/sent from my Windows 7 PC armed to the teeth for Skyrim and Diablo 3 <= if and whenever

If you are thinking about upgrading your wheel why not upgrade to a Fanatec and then you can use on PS3/xbox/PC? Problem solved.

I played FM3 with the MS wheel. Then whent GT5 with the DFGT, avery good wheel for its price! But I already knew i didnt want to play FM4 with a controller or kiddy wheel (which the MS wheel feels like after any decent wheel), plus i didnt want to wait for the CSR Elite. So i bought the GT2 clubsport package with the Rennsport wheelstand.

Im happy to hear things feel great with that combo, cause I still need to wait for my copy of FM4... :(

Yeah this is the beef I've had with xbox ever since it came out, one wheel, take it or leave it, in a nutshell... The new xbox "wheel" that looks like a Mario Kart Wii addon.....??
Please... :P

ncbF430
Back in the day, when I played old gt's and Forzas, i always used a controller. I loved the games but never invested in a steering wheel. With GT5 I finally got around to buying a steering wheel and fell in love with it instantly. Playing 2 player with my friends and switching off between controller and steering wheel felt awful. It wasn't the same without the steering wheel. I got Forza 4 today. I love the game. It is so polished. You can see the effort. My only gripe however is I don't have an xbox compatible steering wheel and thus I have to use a controller. It just doesn't feel right :( I am holding out to get the CSR Elite. But for now it is borderline unplayable because I got so used to the steering wheel. Anybody else in the same situation?

(Has there been any hint of the Elite's release date?)

I am getting the csr for the same reason.
I'm using the Microsoft wheel now and it is not even close to the dfgt. I like both games and hate having different wheels.
The inside sim guys just did a wheel buying guide for Forza that was very good.
All he said is the Elite is coming out later this year, can't wait that long plus my wife would set me on fire if I spent 500$ on a video game wheel.

I don't know if this is the case with the new fanatec wheels but on the old ones like the one i have the pwts there is an adapter that allows you to use the g25 pedals so why not just purchase the wheel and use your g25 pedals with them if the adapter works as well with the new wheel. Go to fanatecs sight and see if this is the case.

i'm in the same boat. I've had an xbox for awhile and bought Forza 3, but I felt that the game wasn't deserving enough for a new wheel. Now that Forza 4 is out...i'm DESPARATE for an Xbox wheel! The game is so good, I feel that playing it with a controller doesn't do it justice. Don't get me wrong, i'm still having alot of fun with the pad.

But anyway, i've been contemplating as to what wheel to get. If I should get the GT2 CLUBSPORT Edition from Fanatec, or just get the CSR Wheel + CSR Elite Pedals + CSR Shifter. Or should I hold out and wait for the CSR Elite?

Anyway, I think i'm going to eventually sell my G25 and buy a Fanatec wheel so I can enjoy both worlds!

Does FM4 or for that matter, any of the Forza series recognize wheel movement past the hard stop of the MS wheel (a touch over 90 degrees from center) when using Fanatec wheels?

After thinking about it, I could not justify the wheel that was twice as expensive. It is going to be a better wheel without a doubt, but twice as good? I don't know about that. Plus, to make it worth it you have to spend another $150 on pedals. (Unless you want the $30 basic pedals)

Because I couldn't justify a $500 wheel at this point I bought the regular CSR and with saved money bout the shifter and elite pedals which I am sure will be a great package. Ordered them last night so hopefully it comes next week.

Maybe when Forza 5 comes out or even GT6 I will have saved up enough money to buy the Elite wheel.

Does FM4 or for that matter, any of the Forza series recognize wheel movement past the hard stop of the MS wheel (a touch over 90 degrees from center) when using Fanatec wheels?

I got the CSR wheel one day before the Forza 4. I must say I'm surprised how good it is-even compared to my G25 on GT5. I tested all the previous Forza games with this wheel and they feel like new games. It is no comparison to the MS wheel and my only regret is that I didn't get a Fanatec multi-platform wheel instead of the G25-a few years back.

P.S. To answer your question--when using the Fanatec CSR wheel the movement past 90 degrees is recognized to the value set on the wheel(the degree rotation and a few other settings can be adjusted on the wheel itself).

I had the MS Wheel, was always afraid I was going to break it, picked up the DFGT for GT5 and liked it much better then bought the Fanatec Turbo S, So much better on both games but a bug in FM4 is killing me on the credits :(

I used the Logitec wheel for GT5 at my friends house and its a pretty awesome setup. Have no room in my room to get a wheel, but Im very content with using a controller for Forza. Compared to what the PS controllers is with no proper triggers, and basically either braking 100% or accelerating 100, the 360 controller feels like a wheel for me. If only I could use my Xbox controller on the Playstation, then I would pick up GT5 again.

Was in the same situation with FM3. I bought an Fanatec GT3 RSV2 and 1 month later I bought x360 and FM3. So I must bought an Fanatec GT2... I also cant enjoy racing games with an pad, so if you got the money, get the wheel.

Curse of GT5

Back in the day, when I played old gt's and Forzas, i always used a controller. I loved the games but never invested in a steering wheel. With GT5 I finally got around to buying a steering wheel and fell in love with it instantly.

It's not GT5's fault. Playing any racing game on a wheel should be enough to make it hard going back to a controller afterward. I got a Microsoft wheel for F1 2010 for my 360 before I got GT5 and the DFGT, and even the Microsoft wheel made me a fan of playing racing games with a wheel.

Microsoft really needs to do something about getting us some more wheel options, though. My Microsoft wheel is okay, and in a few ways it's better than my DFGT (better paddle shifters and I prefer the feel of the wheel itself), but in many ways it lags behind the DFGT and the DFGT was a low-cost wheel. It's a crying shame that 360 owners can't get a decent wheel for less than several hundred quid, and they've even discontinued the Microsoft wheel quite some time back already. We either have to spend enough money to buy two new game consoles on a friggin' wheel or suffer with a crappy Mad Catz.

I agree. The quality of the DFGT was fantastic especially for the price. However, I do not paying the price for the upgrade and I feel like the regular CSR will be too similar to the DFGT.

even the bottom line CSR is two tiers abve a DFGT.

DFGT> G27 > Fanatecs & T500RS > Frex etc

I owned 4 Logitech wheels in my life and I am safely assure you the CSR is a major step up.

I owned 4 Logitech wheels in my life and I am safely assure you the CSR is a major step up.

Financially as well, just sayin'

JJ72

Awesome. That was the answer I was looking for. I committed to buying a csr set up on thursday. And now I'm really excited. Can't wait till monday

When I bought GT5 I told myself I was getting a wheel too. I went with a G27 which although awesome, was sort of dumb since I also loved forza3. I owned it for a month, and then said I needed xbox compatibility before forza4 came out. Bought a Fanatec GT2 and didn't look back. While the g27 pedals are good, the clubsport pedals are WAY better. The wheel was a step up from the logitech, but not necessarily a night and day difference. In my mind there is no reason to purchase a single system wheel if you have multiple systems. Fanatecs are better or equal to the T500 and should be on par pricewise, but you get cross platform play. The CSR is the best right now (newest tech) from fanatec and costs the same as the GT2, so there is no reason not to buy it if you race on multiple platforms. The feel of a wheel is lightyears better than a controller, but why clutter a probably already cluttered room with 2-3 wheels when you just need one that is exceptional?

Back