Damage on all cars confirmed by IGN

• Thread starter Fritter7
  • 168 comments
It's all guess work from the moderators, you know.

They don't have any special connections with PD.

They're interpreting the same information that us peasants are.

GTPlanet Homepage
August 2, 2009 – GTPlanet acquires internal company documents which clearly outline the date that Sony expects to release the game (and it was well within 2009).

Say again?

They could have released it in December and then patched it later.

It's a big call though...do you release it at the lucrative Xmas market with a damage model that may get complaints but you can patch later, or do you launch GT5 in the middle of the year with perfect damage?

I dunno...maybe GT5 launching in its own window next year without Shift and FM3 as competition could be to its advantage.

I think the following, or in combination is more likely:

In trying to make sense out of these recent release developements, going back to E3 when I first began to strongly expect this was going to be the case, many possibilities, pros, cons, considerations, etc. are involved. I have finally concluded what I believe has shaped this scenario.

As we all know, The Holiday season is "the" prime time of the year for game and console sales, particularly in the large markets of the West . That being the case, and GT5 being very likely to be releasable by this years coming season, I believe tremendous pressure was likely brought to bear on Sony from the game publishers, developers, etc. that they did not want to have to compete against one of their heaviest hitters, namely GT5, during that seasonal market. Accordingly, Sony bowed to the pressure counting on the strength of the GT series to overcome and still dominate during the spring season. Hence you have GTPSP currently at the for-front, consuming PD resources and relegating GT5 to March 2010.

This is the only reasonble explanation I can concieve of for this strategy.
Unfortunately, as a result, Kaz as well as the GT5 faithful are put in the unenviable position of having to "take one for the team", as it were.

That's a shocking business plan, every time I've known a dev to use that route, and it does happen. The damage they suffer in those months between the commercial release and the patch, offers no advantage to the company at all. There are times when it's necessary, say if it has to coincide with a specific event, then having that event in the public spot light is a big advantage to the games commercial viability.

With GT5, there is no point. I certainly don't want to play GT5 for 3 months if it still has in-completed parts. Highly unprofessional. Would give a shocking impression of their own abilities and the quality of the game. Plus, you have to deal with two releases.

Now that the date that you guys thought it was is no longer - is it possible that you can release the date that it was supposed to be now?

It's a good question. Ultimately it'd be up to the individual who brought the information to the attention of the staff.

The only issue I can see with that is one of self-preservation - the individual might not want the source to become aware of activity here (remember that Sony would by far prefer that GTPlanet didn't exist and everyone used their official forum...), and the source themselves, presuming them to be a Sony employee will almost certainly be bound by an NDA and liable to being beaten to death with their own feet if discovered to be a leak. Which is, I'm sure you'll agree, a major issue.

In the end though, it doesn't really matter what any date, official internal documents or not, was. It's not the same one now.

It's a good question. Ultimately it'd be up to the individual who brought the information to the attention of the staff.

The only issue I can see with that is one of self-preservation - the individual might not want the source to become aware of activity here (remember that Sony would by far prefer that GTPlanet didn't exist and everyone used their official forum...), and the source themselves, presuming them to be a Sony employee will almost certainly be bound by an NDA and liable to being beaten to death with their own feet if discovered to be a leak. Which is, I'm sure you'll agree, a major issue.

In the end though, it doesn't really matter what any date, official internal documents or not, was. It's not the same one now.

Sad but true.

That's a shocking business plan, every time I've known a dev to use that route, and it does happen. The damage they suffer in those months between the commercial release and the patch, offers no advantage to the company at all. There are times when it's necessary, say if it has to coincide with a specific event, then having that event in the public spot light is a big advantage to the games commercial viability.

With GT5, there is no point. I certainly don't want to play GT5 for 3 months if it still has in-completed parts. Highly unprofessional. Would give a shocking impression of their own abilities and the quality of the game. Plus, you have to deal with two releases.

Completely agree with this point...

Patches/DLC/Updates etc - should NOT be used as a business plan...

Fine if bugs/exploits etc are uncovered and fixes found then OK - but to plan in a patch 4 months after the release is pretty damn terrible...

Reminds me of the whole Trophy system - I didn't buy a PS3 early doors - and by the time I got mine (about a year ago) they still weren't in... I played and completed GTA4 in this time - and haven't had the inclination to replay just to get trophies!

Famine

Very valid points - I don't want this hero to be P45'd!!

Famine

Indeed - would just be interesting - and my curiousity really wants to know it!!!

C.

IGN just posted an article that says all cars will have some damage like scuffs and scratches, and race cars will have damage like we've seen on the Subaru:

Although its great news that all cars are now going to have visual damage in some form or another (like every other game on the market) if PD are making out that the Subaru damage is the top level damage model then thats totally lame. I can't believe they have now said there is a level of visual damage lower than that! :lol:

The Gamescom damage was sub par by todays standards, I actually was suprised PD even showed it in that state. Games like Race Driver released years and years ago had bumpers and panels which would fall off so its nothing special at all.

I was expecting at least Grid levels of damage and I expect even more now the game has an extended dev period (yes I know there was no official date) but if PD are going to release their flagship damage as what we saw on that Subaru thats pathetic.

deep_sky

Who would want to buy a half finished game at a full retail price? To the average consumer they would think it was insane (some of them still dont get prologue's). Releasing broken games and then patching later or making you pay of DLC which should have been in game is a cop out. PD should release nothing at all until its 100% finished.

Robin.

Famine, could you confirm the date that GTPlanet were given? That way Sony still have no idea where it came from?

Although its great news that all cars are now going to have visual damage in some form or another (like every other game on the market) if PD are making out that the Subaru damage is the top level damage model then thats totally lame. I can't believe they have now said there is a level of visual damage lower than that! :lol:

The Gamescom damage was sub par by todays standards, I actually was suprised PD even showed it in that state. Games like Race Driver released years and years ago had bumpers and panels which would fall off so its nothing special at all.

I was expecting at least Grid levels of damage and I expect even more now the game has an extended dev period (yes I know there was no official date) but if PD are going to release their flagship damage as what we saw on that Subaru thats pathetic.

Robin.

The article also stated that a Sony Rep told the writer that the damage in GT5 was a work in progress and that the final game will have different level of damage or along those lines.

I think the following, or in combination is more likely:

In trying to make sense out of these recent release developements, going back to E3 when I first began to strongly expect this was going to be the case, many possibilities, pros, cons, considerations, etc. are involved. I have finally concluded what I believe has shaped this scenario.

As we all know, The Holiday season is "the" prime time of the year for game and console sales, particularly in the large markets of the West . That being the case, and GT5 being very likely to be releasable by this years coming season, I believe tremendous pressure was likely brought to bear on Sony from the game publishers, developers, etc. that they did not want to have to compete against one of their heaviest hitters, namely GT5, during that seasonal market. Accordingly, Sony bowed to the pressure counting on the strength of the GT series to overcome and still dominate during the spring season. Hence you have GTPSP currently at the for-front, consuming PD resources and relegating GT5 to March 2010.

This is the only reasonble explanation I can concieve of for this strategy.
Unfortunately, as a result, Kaz as well as the GT5 faithful are put in the unenviable position of having to "take one for the team", as it were.

this is a reasonable reason for the delay. Very well thought out. But I'm still thinking its about selling PSPs and GTPSP.

b

Famine, could you confirm the date that GTPlanet were given? That way Sony still have no idea where it came from?

Who's to say that I wasn't the person who brought the information? :D

But no. Jordan also decided not to state the date when he could easily have done so.

Who said?

The one we had wasn't "March 2010". At present "March 2010" is the only indication Sony have publicly given.

Sorry but that is nonsense. When You say the Date was 4.10.09 no one would know were it came from! And from your coments we all know now Sony/PD has a singing Bird ;)
Beside its no longer relevent what date it was. Now its march 10. and when we are verry lucky its a world wide one when not i will learn japanese!

And TGS seems to have many good news for us. Did not exept that when it starts so ugly!

Sorry but that is nonsense. When You say the Date was 4.10.09 no one would know were it came from!

Someone put their ass on the line. It's not your call - unless it's your ass.

The one we had wasn't "March 2010". At present "March 2010" is the only indication Sony have publicly given.

I know we are splitting hairs at this point, but I am not in Japan, neither are the vast majority of the GTPlanet community members. At TGS they went out of their way to say the release date of GT5 in Japan. The reason to make such clarification we may never know. Until we hear a release date for the rest of the world, I would expect everyone to keep an open mind.

This news is all sorts of MEH

We started out with the damage model that was shown for the Impreza. The impressions from that damage model were universally negative. Now they are telling us that all the cars will have damage ( sounds great for split second ) but then there is a HUGE "but" after that and then they tell us that the rest of the cars will have damage modeling but it will be even worse than the Impreze damage model?!?!

Good lord. What are they thinking? :ouch:

I'm starting to think that no damage model at all would be better than a half assed one.

I am interested to find out how well/accurate the mechanical damage is.

It also seems pretty clear that they have delayed the game due to all the criticism.

I hope polyphony can pull this one off in the end because right now it's not lookin so good.

Indeed - March 2010 is merely a working deadline. Between the demos at GC, FdJ and TGS they've already added damage to road cars anyway - they might not need the additional time...

However, all data we have for PS3 games now suggests that they are all released on the same day, or at least the same week. I'd put a lot of this down to the fact that the PS3 is region free - would SCEA want US sales being cut into because people can buy an Australian or UK copy instead?

That would be awesome. Another challenge: drive as cleanly as you can, because if you don't, you have to pay for the damage. I already drive as clean as I can, but for other people who don't, it's a new challenge, and if I accidentally hit someone or vice versa, consequences have to be faced. :ouch:

PD should do something in ADDITION to paying for damage. They should do something of the sort like not being able to use that car for ___ days (depending on severity of the damage)...

Who would want to buy a half finished game at a full retail price? To the average consumer they would think it was insane (some of them still dont get prologue's). Releasing broken games and then patching later or making you pay of DLC which should have been in game is a cop out. PD should release nothing at all until its 100% finished.

Robin.

I must confess, I am truly amazed and perplexed at this apparent "Damage" fixation by some of you Damage fr.... er...... afficionados.

Obviously I am missing something here.

Exactly what, by way of damage are you looking for?

As to release, I don't believe with Kaz there is anything to worry about on that note. I don't believe there is any way he would release the game without it being satisfactory, at least by whatever standard he's using, which historically has been pretty good, by most accounts.

this is a reasonable reason for the delay. Very well thought out. But I'm still thinking its about selling PSPs and GTPSP.
I feel certain that was also a part of the equation.

Yeah the damage thing is nice and all but I'm not planning on crashing that much to notice.

I have enjoyed all the other GT's without damage up till now. Still if they are going to do it I would prefer they do it right.

After 5 years whats another 3 months!

In the end I really think this delay is for the best.

I know that some of you don't get what the big deal about damage is but if they would have released in December without sorting this damage model out GT 5 would have gotten HAMMERED in the reviews.

EDIT : A bit annoying that IGN would announce something like this without some pics to go along with the subject at hand.

I have doubts the additional time given will be enough to implement deformation damage for all cars. Only scratches and small dents, at least less than Forza that has limited damage itself.

Interesting comment from a reader in that IGN damage hands-on. Whether he is to be believed or not, I don't know, but the way it is written sounds plausible:

"I work in the industry, and I can tell you for a fact this game was coming out on the 4th December 2009, it was 100% going to be released this year up until a month ago. The game was held back until March 2010 to put in a better damage model after complaints. That is the only reason, Sony wanted this game for Europe in 09."

This sounds absolutel plauseable and believeable and pretty much how I figured it happened...

IGN just posted an article that says all cars will have some damage like scuffs and scratches, and race cars will have damage like we've seen on the Subaru:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1028707p1.html
It's the third paragraph down.
EDIT: Also, he said that all three cars he drove, road and racing, drove worse after crashing.

So it still sounds like there is a premium/standard deal... premium gets full damage modeling, standard gets minor cosmetic... I hope addings scratches and scuffs wasn't the main reason the made the delay as it seems hardly worth it for what amounts to eye candy...

Where are the guys that swore for weeks that "170 cars will have cosmetic damage?"

So, now has the conclusion been drawn that the 170 figure refers to interior corresponding damage with exterior damage?

And every car will feature mechanical damage? I assumed every car would have mechanical damage before any announcement at any convention, but t is kinda like waking up from a dream and wondering if this still a dream or not!

I am still here, and it seems now that, up until PD decided to push out a few months to add scratches and sucffs to the remaining cars, I was right. The only change now sounds like 170 cars with full damage, remaining cars with some cursory visuals thrown in (better than nothing, but if they had mechanical damage alread, hardly seems worth a delay).

I don't think we have heard anything about interior damage in terms of cockpit (ie dashboard deforms or seats bend or something) and since all cars are reported to have mechanical damage I don't think the conclusion that 170 refers to interior corresponding with exterior damage.

Last edited:
Back